Options

[Agents of SHIELD] Age of Inhumans

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Well, the name Diviner is pretty obvious...its a device used to detect beings with a certain something...blood, heritage, power etc....its just pretty obviously a complete dick when it comes to not finding what its looking for .

Eh, divination spells are the worst anyways. Most people would rather die than give up conjuration/summoning for divination.

What? How do you deal with Rogues that have a ton of Invisibility Potions? Or Wizards that cast Improved Invisibility and Protection from Magical Weapons and start unleashing fiery doom?

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Well, the name Diviner is pretty obvious...its a device used to detect beings with a certain something...blood, heritage, power etc....its just pretty obviously a complete dick when it comes to not finding what its looking for .

Eh, divination spells are the worst anyways. Most people would rather die than give up conjuration/summoning for divination.

What? How do you deal with Rogues that have a ton of Invisibility Potions? Or Wizards that cast Improved Invisibility and Protection from Magical Weapons and start unleashing fiery doom?

I once solved it with 3 quickened 6d6 AOE Level Drain spells in one round. Even if they made the save, they still lost almost 30 levels in a single round. Spell Creation rules in D&D3.5 were sick.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular

That's why you use magic alien artifacts for it, duh!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    D&D wizards are bullshit, but that isn't Strange so I'm not worried about it.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Strange is more of a Sorcerer

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Remember when people were all like "Grant Ward is so boring. He has no personality beyond generic boy scout?"

Yeah.

Not coincidentally, he's rocking a Riker beard.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Yup, wizards are bullshit. That's why I hope Strange doesn't suck.

Badly written wizards are bullshit, well written wizards are baller. I should know, I'm Loki Harry Dresden.

TheDresdenFiles.jpg

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Remember when people were all like "Grant Ward is so boring. He has no personality beyond generic boy scout?"

Yeah.

Not coincidentally, he's rocking a Riker beard.

That's why I liked he was Hydra. It made him so much more interesting as a character.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    So let's dig into the name, "the diviner"

I immediately think of diving rods, or something used to find or"divine the location of" another thing.

I wonder what it is capable of finding that is so important it literally ashes anyone who touches it that they don't want to discover said thing?

I'm gonna go with this
    because it's got the same writing on it, and we just learned that whatever Coulson is writing is a map. So the Diviner probably tells you where to look. But it's kinda pointless if you can't read the thing.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I think it is interesting that the "big bad" of first season was "The Clairvoyant" while the MacGuffin of 2nd season is "The Diviner." The two words, like, mean basically the same thing.

The Clairvoyant was a huge misdirection, so it makes me wonder what kind of surprises The Diviner holds. Perhaps it doesn't help you seek anything, but it makes you divine, aka "godlike."

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    was it decided who tattoo guy at the end was?
    my wife and i were staring at that thinking...is that the senator, is it someone new?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    It just proves that the MCU and Cougar Town exist in the same universe.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    This is Tattoo guy:
    shield-2_612x380.jpg

No idea who he is. Somebody new, apparently.

He's like a cross between Gordon Ramsay and Curtis Stone.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    skeldare wrote: »
    It just proves that the MCU and Cougar Town exist in the same universe.

DC has Gorilla City, so it makes sense

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Tattoo guy didn't think it through. He's gonna run out of canvas pretty quick. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    His hair reminds me of Cable, but he's lacking the metal arm and Marvel lacks the relevant license.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    Teriferin wrote: »
    His hair reminds me of Cable, but he's lacking the metal arm and Marvel lacks the relevant license.

His name is Comcast.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    or
    Teriferin wrote: »

His name is Comcast.

or maybe Warner. Time Warner ComCox....

• Options
    BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    Just watching this week's episode now.
    Holy shit! Peter from White Collar! (He was also the vasectomy guy in that one episode of Seinfeld.)

3DS Friend Code: 1006 - 0121 - 6969
    PM me with yours if you add me
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Just watching this week's episode now.
    Holy shit! Peter from White Collar! (He was also the vasectomy guy in that one episode of Seinfeld.)

If they could add Matt Bomer to the cast, I would totally squeal like a girl.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    matt bomer could play CAPTAIN HANDSOME with the power of amazing cheekbones

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Matt Bomer for Taskmaster

2ih2task.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    That would be cool. Too bad they don't have the X-Men rights. That dude who can make any woman want him would be perfect. (Because no heterosexual man can ever play that guy and expect not to be seen as a creepy ass douchebag forever.)

But, he was seen as an Avengers character predominately, so they might be able to get away with it.

BigWillieStyles on
  • Options
    That would be cool. Too bad they don't have the X-Men rights. That dude who can make any woman want him would be perfect. (Because no heterosexual man can ever play that guy and expect not to be seen as a creepy ass douchebag forever.)

But, he was seen as an Avengers character predominately, so they might be able to get away with it.

Who are you talking about?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The Purple Man?

• Options
    The Purple Man?

He's not with the X-men, he's with Daredevil.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    According the wiki, Taskmaster debuted in an Avengers comic and is primarily now a villain of Daredevil.

Doing a little research, it appears Taskmaster might've been considered primarily part of Daredevil's property, which is back safely in the hands of Marvel. So zero reason FOX should be able to lay any claim to him, and honestly I can't think of any good reason they'd bother. Outside of comic fans, Taskmaster has basically zero notoriety. If you asked most of the general public, they'd probably shrug and take a shot in the dark that he's some Batman villain.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Oh, and apparently Taskmaster appeared in the obligatory crappy tie in video game for Winter Soldier.

So there's that.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    The Purple Man?

Starfox. He's a little rapey.

He got put on trial by his former girlfriend, She-Hulk, who is totally a prosecutor.

He also tried to calm down an angry Hulk with love. He immediately got Hulk smashed right into a wall.

Correction: Not a Mutant, an Eternal. He's in the same camp as the Inhumans, who are also Eternals.

Wait, they can do Galactus, can't they?

The Taskmaster is awesome. He's perfect for the Daredevil Netflix series as the primary "Imma gonna be a constant pain in your ass, man" kind of villain that could carry a season.

OK, Starfox is Thanos' brother. He's totally gonna be in there somewhere.

BigWillieStyles on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    The Purple Man?

He got put on trial by his former girlfriend, She-Hulk, who is totally a prosecutor.

He also tried to calm down an angry Hulk with love. He immediately got Hulk smashed right into a wall.

Correction: Not a Mutant, an Eternal. He's in the same camp as the Inhumans, who are also Eternals.

The Taskmaster is awesome. He's perfect for the Daredevil Netflix series as the primary "Imma gonna be a constant pain in your ass, man" kind of villain that could carry a season.

I know who Starfox is. Yes, he's an Eternal and Thanos' brother. Galactus is with FF, so Marvel doesn't have the rights to him.

edit: You don't need to go into detail with questions like I asked. PA has many comic readers here, if we want greater details we'll ask. :)

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    The Purple Man?

I know who Starfox is. Yes, he's an Eternal and Thanos' brother. Galactus is with FF, so Marvel doesn't have the rights to him.
    Yeah, and he's definitely a little rapey.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    The Inhumans and Eternals always struck me as wildly redundant. One or the other, sure, but I was never clear on why one solar system needed both.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    I think we totally need Slapstick up in this steeze. He's a living cartoon, basically. That would be awesome!

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    The Inhumans and Eternals always struck me as wildly redundant. One or the other, sure, but I was never clear on why one solar system needed both.

I get them all mixed up. Celestials and Deviants too

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    poshniallo wrote: »

I get them all mixed up. Celestials and Deviants too

I went to the wiki tonight to get clarification and apparently the Eternals and Celestials and Deviants were originally not intended to be part of the mainline Marvel universe. They were originally just meant to be Kirby off in his own playpen doing his own thing, like the original Machine Man series he did around that time.

Of course, Kirby was still hung up on the New Gods story that he hadn't gotten to finish at DC, so it makes sense that the Eternals have a somewhat similar concept and vibe (and to the Inhumans, which he'd already done at Marvel years earlier). And then the Titans, created by Jim Starlin, were Marvel's original attempt to homage/ape the New Gods (with Thanos as the clear analog to Darkseid) so they later apparently retconned it to say that Eternals, Titans, and "Uranians" from another comic were all actually different branches of Eternals.

I feel a lot better now about having been confused. This is what it will feel like for comics readers in the 2030s trying to figure out why all these characters in the 90s suddenly had headgear and ponytails.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Seeing Talbot just makes me want to see Daklin Dunn from Mysterious Ways responding to life in the MCU

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

Eternals/Devients, Inhumans and Mutants are all part of the same sort of chain of futzing with humanity's evolution.

Like, the Celestials show up and imbue all humans with the potential for incredible powers. They made the Eternals, which are a limited number of non-reproducing, basically paragon superhumans, and the deviants, who are basically massively mutated people who were once in great numbers but got beaten to near extinction when the Celestials went "Nah, this isn't the direction we want to go in."

Meanwhile, the Kree show up on earth thousands of years later, discover the genetic potential of humans, and eventually bred the Inhumans; who had their incredible powers unlocked through Terrigen gas.

Then the x-gene started showing up in humans, allowing them a natural method to accessing the latent powers the Celestials imbued into them.

Then in the modern area, atomic research 'caused a spike in the x-gene's frequency, making a shit ton of mutants start showing up. Combined with all sorts of other shit (like cosmic or gamma rays and gene manipulation) 'caused other forms of this Celestial enhancement to appear in people, making the superpower boom of the late 20th, early 21st century.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular

Eternals/Devients, Inhumans and Mutants are all part of the same sort of chain of futzing with humanity's evolution.

Like, the Celestials show up and imbue all humans with the potential for incredible powers. They made the Eternals, which are a limited number of non-reproducing, basically paragon superhumans, and the deviants, who are basically massively mutated people who were once in great numbers but got beaten to near extinction when the Celestials went "Nah, this isn't the direction we want to go in."

Meanwhile, the Kree show up on earth thousands of years later, discover the genetic potential of humans, and eventually bred the Inhumans; who had their incredible powers unlocked through Terrigen gas.

Then the x-gene started showing up in humans, allowing them a natural method to accessing the latent powers the Celestials imbued into them.

Then in the modern area, atomic research 'caused a spike in the x-gene's frequency, making a shit ton of mutants start showing up. Combined with all sorts of other shit (like cosmic or gamma rays and gene manipulation) 'caused other forms of this Celestial enhancement to appear in people, making the superpower boom of the late 20th, early 21st century.

I kind of expect "inhumans" to refer to all the near-human characters in the MCU, rather than muddling the matter with Eternals/Deviants/etc.

Incidentally, I was thinking about Skye through the series so far, and
    we know there's something special about her, so she's probably an Inhuman, right? Do you notice how everyone really seems to take to her, even trust her, far more quickly than you would expect those characters to do so? We know she has a "name" that isn't Skye, so why not Starfox? It'd be a good way to reuse the character, insert the drama/character development with having a power you hate, without introducing the rapey elements of the comic character.

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
This discussion has been closed.