As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

No time for [Chat], Mad Stan is on the loose!

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Avatar The Last Airbender is basically a perfect TV show

Lesser TV would do to learn from it's three dimensional characters, sharp dialogue, and great world building

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    wait

where'd the motorbike come from in Cabin In The Woods?

You can see it strapped to the camper when they're going to the cabin.

Huh! Why tho, they were going to a cabin in the woods! What good was a bike gonna be? :P

So they could ride it in the woods?

What good is a motorbike if you don't ride it in the woods?

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

Lesser TV would do to learn from it's three dimensional characters, sharp dialogue, and great world building
    what about season 1 tho

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Apparently Mad Stan is based on his own voice actor, Henry Rollins.

i have no clue who he is.

you need to learn to google more

I know he's a musical artist of some kind?

Here's the thing.

My approach to most things is not based on understanding.

if i could use one term to define myself, it'd be cargo cult.

i'm like a native, building planes out of straw hoping for a real plane to be tricked into landing on my island.

i "know" things without understanding them.

705093-forge2.jpg

Yes, except it's intellectual laziness and not a mutant power.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

He fronted Black Flag and every interview he does is in front of his record collection.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Also 21st you missed out if you didn't click on that link

because it is DJ Steve Porter remixing him instead of just him ranting.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i thought your strategy for knowing things was to ask the chat thread instead of just googling it

The truth is, i love the sound of my own voice typing.

i generally ask chat and immediately google the answer anyway.

I, too, do this.

But also I think chat's answers to questions are just more interesting.

And, like, if you ask chat something you're just going to get like five joke answers

Which is really what I want, ultimately.

i mean i'm sure we all agree that a:tla is better than crap shows like the wire but s1 was simply not as good as the other seasons

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Underwhelming toys, though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21XFr2pbNKc

He also has awful opinions.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    @Jacobkosh‌ @Thomamelas‌

So I am listening to the old Gunsmoke radio show from the 1950's. I forgot they play old radio shows on Sunday nights.

They have done some old Noir shows as well when I was driving home.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    DJ Steve Porter remixing one of Rollins's stupid music rants is amusing me.

Thanks, spool!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    When I think Henry Rollins, I think of this Zen Pencils strip

http://cdn.zenpencils.com/wp-content/uploads/2012-06-19-henryrollins.jpg

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    I think I heard Rollins first when I bought the Crow soundtrack. I stumbled across Black Flag a few years after that. It was a time without the Internet or even computers... for me at least.

edited October 2014
    Wash wrote: »

cool comic...

But I don't agree with the premise that you're either 100% a boring square or 100% a free spirit who raves and rants in a park.

EDIT: I genuinely like that comic, though. I do...

21stCentury on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

avatar has always had shitty toys

and Nick apparently gave platinum whatever they could find in the couch cushions for the Korra game

so they have decided that Avatar is not a profitable franchise

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    2012-06-19-henryrollins.jpg

cool comic...

But I don't agree with the premise that you're either 100% a boring square or 100% a free spirit who raves and rants in a park.

There's people that aren't hippies and squares? Nooooo....

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I just reread Mistborn recently. It was just as good the second time around. I really like Brandon Sanderson.

vRyue2p.png
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

what about season 1 tho
    It's great!

I won't have any of this 'it doesn't pick up until season 2' type of nonsense

Season 1 of Breaking Bad is great too

and Nick apparently gave platinum whatever they could find in the couch cushions for the Korra game

because too many people from the "wrong" demographics like the series...

I don't remember who ranted about that... it was interesting, though.

Basically, Nick does not want the wrong demographic watching for whatever reason. That's why they cancelled Invader Zim, apparently.

Feral wrote: »
    DJ Steve Porter remixing one of Rollins's stupid music rants is amusing me.

Thanks, spool!

D-d-d-d-dj Fuckhead

*wikki wikki wikki*

That's what killed off the excellent Young Justice cartoon - poor merchandising.

what about season 1 tho
    It's great!

I won't have any of this 'it doesn't pick up until season 2' type of nonsense

Season 1 of Breaking Bad is great too
    i'd say it doesn't pick up until episodes 7-8 and even then there's a lot of like...adventure of the week stuff? which isn't terrible, it serves a purpose in establishing the characters and their relationships but its not as good as the later stuff

Ah, I can't remember what documentary it was in but there's a clip I love of Rollins talking about the DIY aspect of the 80's hardcore scene, and out of nowhere he's like "haha, yeah, one time this dude tried to pay into a show with a pipebomb"

That's what killed off the excellent Young Justice cartoon - poor merchandising.

Was it about Young Justice that someone ranted about network execs hating when the wrong demographic watched a cartoon?

I think it's about Young Justice and not Invader Zim or Avatar, now that i think about it.

Season 1 of Last Airbender is wonderful.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Wash‌ that image is huge, yo. For the sake of our mobile users, you should link those rather than inlining (putting it behind a spoiler still loads it).

@21stCentury‌ don't quote giant images, dude! You should know this by now!

rRwz9.gif
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular

Basically, Nick does not want the wrong demographic watching for whatever reason. That's why they cancelled Invader Zim, apparently.

well, their entire ad market is a really narrow window, compared to say one of the major networks.
    their advertisers prefer the shoo-in money spent
    so if a show attracts the "wrong" demographic that ad money is kind of being wasted
    not that I agree per se, just that it's a consideration

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

Both Avatars have broad appeal but Nick never bothered to find sponsors interested in consumers older than about 12.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    I don't understand how Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles can have a Band-Aids and pajamas and pillow cases but Korra can't. Both shows are about punching and kicking.

I was under the impression that Invader Zim was cancelled because Jhonen Vasquez wanted it to be even fucking crazier and they were having none of that, despite it's cult status.

I mean, to me, the whole "This series is watched by the wrong demographic, therefore we don't need to make efforts to sell good toys to the targeted demographic" situation that apparently killed off Young Justice is just a self-fulfilling prophecy. They think it's doomed from the start and don't make an effort to make engaging toys.

A lot of things killed Young Justice. Poor merchandising is how most cartoons get fucked over because toy companies suck.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I don't understand how Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles can have a Band-Aids and pajamas and pillow cases but Korra can't. Both shows are about punching and kicking.

and Korra has the advantage of having a character for girls who don't want everything to be pink

which I would speculate is a hugely underserved market

override367 on

well, their entire ad market is a really narrow window, compared to say one of the major networks.
    their advertisers prefer the shoo-in money spent
    so if a show attracts the "wrong" demographic that ad money is kind of being wasted
    not that I agree per se, just that it's a consideration

Yeah, I don't disagree with that and i understand the situation.

I just think it's sad that the network execs often try to drive off the wrong demo instead of trying to build around it...

I mean, how did they deal with Batman: The Animated Series having broad appeal? I would be interested in that, actually. i hear at some point they even put it in a primetime TV slot and it just bombed because the broadened demographic didn't respond to cartoons as well as the network expected...

edited October 2014

Don't be silly, companies can't selling merchandise to girls - that'd make them a demographic that they'd have to consider a legitimate market. I hate when companies do this to girls. :(

Harry Dresden on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    @Jacobkosh‌ @Thomamelas‌

So I am listening to the old Gunsmoke radio show from the 1950's. I forgot they play old radio shows on Sunday nights.

They have done some old Noir shows as well when I was driving home.

@Mazzyx‌

There's a guy with a LPFM license around here who runs old radio shows, matching it up to the day, so today it'd be like "October 26, 1954" or something.

They play Superman on my drive home!

Lh96QHG.png
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    The only problem for Young Justice was its mediocrity.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    kedinik wrote: »
    Both Avatars have broad appeal but Nick never bothered to find sponsors interested in consumers older than about 12.

My guess is MTV steals all the 13-16 year old eyeballs and sponsors get in with them.

Should The Last Airbender should have been on MTV or Spike TV alongside Beavis and Butthead and not Nickelodeon? Probably not. It'd have been better if Aang and Korra lived on Disney XD, though.

• Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular

Henry Rollins also voiced dis bish.

Zaheer.png

That character's appearance was ALSO based on him. :P

Henry Rollins is a guy with a cool voice who sometimes says dumb things

"The gay."

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
This discussion has been closed.