Options

I spent 90 hours at the [job] thread last week and all I got was this lousy paycheck

24567100

Posts

  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    My two week staycation is going well. Had lunch at Kat'z Deli today because why the Hell not? A giant corned beef sandwich and a beer later, I can barely move.

    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Yesterday I came into school and found the principal's offices entirely coated in aluminum foil. Every piece of furniture and pictures, everything.

    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork


  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The correct thing to do in that situation is to act like absolutely nothing is out of the ordinary. You come in, hang your coat on your aluminum coat rack, sit down in your aluminum chair, and start typing on your aluminum computer

  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    I have pulled another office prank!

    I had to enlist the help of 3 other people, and it took some time (mostly of me working alone), but in preparation for a coworkers birthday, we packed up his entire office and locked it all away in a storage closet.

    We then filled his cubicle with a bunch of balloons.

    Outside of his office I have a pin stuck to his wall, holding up a note that reads

    "The key to the closet with all of your supplies is inside one of these balloons. Good luck."

    Inside most balloons are a couple of coins so he can't rely on weight and noise.

    I am currently waiting on him to come into work.

    I'm surprised the key is actually in one of the balloons.

    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    I have pulled another office prank!

    I had to enlist the help of 3 other people, and it took some time (mostly of me working alone), but in preparation for a coworkers birthday, we packed up his entire office and locked it all away in a storage closet.

    We then filled his cubicle with a bunch of balloons.

    Outside of his office I have a pin stuck to his wall, holding up a note that reads

    "The key to the closet with all of your supplies is inside one of these balloons. Good luck."

    Inside most balloons are a couple of coins so he can't rely on weight and noise.

    I am currently waiting on him to come into work.

    I am 120% terrified of balloons popping so if I came into work and saw that I'd probably have a panic attack.

  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    I have pulled another office prank!

    I had to enlist the help of 3 other people, and it took some time (mostly of me working alone), but in preparation for a coworkers birthday, we packed up his entire office and locked it all away in a storage closet.

    We then filled his cubicle with a bunch of balloons.

    Outside of his office I have a pin stuck to his wall, holding up a note that reads

    "The key to the closet with all of your supplies is inside one of these balloons. Good luck."

    Inside most balloons are a couple of coins so he can't rely on weight and noise.

    I am currently waiting on him to come into work.

    I am 120% terrified of balloons popping so if I came into work and saw that I'd probably have a panic attack.

    Scissors work for this. Cut the base, hold onto it, make fart noises or launch balloon missiles at people.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Apparently one of you at the end of the last thread writes for The Onion
    4 Angels Banished From Heaven For Attempting To Unionize

  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    Americans, are you guys familiar with Don's Group Attire? I'm ordering some new shirts and their website confuses me. Do I email the shirts I want to my HR department? Can I tie the payments to my paychecks and space them out over how ever many weeks are necessary?

    Also how do you get sweat stains out of whites? My own mother doesn't know. :(

    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    nuka wrote: »
    Americans, are you guys familiar with Don's Group Attire? I'm ordering some new shirts and their website confuses me. Do I email the shirts I want to my HR department? Can I tie the payments to my paychecks and space them out over how ever many weeks are necessary?

    Also how do you get sweat stains out of whites? My own mother doesn't know. :(

    Sweat stains are actually caused by the aluminium in deodorant/antiperspirant products. I've heard good things about aspirin.

    Crush 4 tablets into a powder, mix in a cup of warm water, soak the stained part of the tshirt in it for 2-3 hours, wash as normal. Lemons and vinegar can work too, depending on how thick it is.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Pretty sure I've been transported to bizarro world to work today.

    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I'm not sure they are salvageable because the stains are old but I did get them from thrift shops.

    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    nuka wrote: »
    Americans, are you guys familiar with Don's Group Attire? I'm ordering some new shirts and their website confuses me. Do I email the shirts I want to my HR department? Can I tie the payments to my paychecks and space them out over how ever many weeks are necessary?

    Also how do you get sweat stains out of whites? My own mother doesn't know. :(

    There's like a million "home remedies" out there that work with varying degrees of effectiveness (like a soak in Dawn and ammonia is a popular one), but the only one I've found to be effective is OxyClean, which is sort of a double-edged sword because it can kind of hard on fabric. Like bowen said, it's actually the aluminum in your deodorant that causes it. I know there's aluminum-free antiperspirants out there, but don't have any experience or recommendations there.

  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I looked up some home remedies and grabbed baking soda, vinegar and a toothbrush. At least the new shirts will be blue.

    EDIT I've used oxygen for other stains before but I did not want to buy it, been sticking to Kroger brand detergents, sometimes Tide.

    nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    nuka wrote: »
    I looked up some home remedies and grabbed baking soda, vinegar and a toothbrush. At least the new shirts will be blue.

    EDIT I've used oxygen for other stains before but I did not want to buy it, been sticking to Kroger brand detergents, sometimes Tide.
    ugh, Kroger. Is that where you work? That was the nasty grocery store when I lived in MI.

    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    nuka wrote: »
    I looked up some home remedies and grabbed baking soda, vinegar and a toothbrush. At least the new shirts will be blue.

    EDIT I've used oxygen for other stains before but I did not want to buy it, been sticking to Kroger brand detergents, sometimes Tide.
    ugh, Kroger. Is that where you work? That was the nasty grocery store when I lived in MI.

    QFC, it's owned by Kroger but they don't have Kroger grocery stores here.

    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Heh, my project lead wanted to throw me a big going away party (bringing delicious smoked meats and such) this Thursday but they wouldn't let him because they don't do that for everyone... Now it's called "fall fest".

    urahonky on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Heh, my project lead wanted to throw me a big going away party (bringing delicious smoked meats and such) this Thursday but they wouldn't let him because they don't do that for everyone... Now it's called "fall fest".

    Mmmm I'm jealous now.

    Briskets and ribs and pulled porks.

    I really need to move in so I can get a smoker.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Heh, my project lead wanted to throw me a big going away party (bringing delicious smoked meats and such) this Thursday but they wouldn't let him because they don't do that for everyone... Now it's called "fall fest".

    Mmmm I'm jealous now.

    Briskets and ribs and pulled porks.

    I really need to move in so I can get a smoker.

    That reminds me, i need to update my meat guide with a rib making bit!

  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I see you tempting me thegreatcow, don't think I didn't notice.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Speaking of ribs, I guess it's kind of frowned upon to use a mustard and season it among big BBQers. We don't have a smoker so we have to do it in the oven. Is there any reason not to marinate it in mustard before hand? @‌Thegreatcow

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Speaking of ribs, I guess it's kind of frowned upon to use a mustard and season it among big BBQers. We don't have a smoker so we have to do it in the oven. Is there any reason not to marinate it in mustard before hand? @‌Thegreatcow

    Ehhh not really. I mainly use mustard as a binding agent for the dried seasonings to adhere and also add a bit of flavor as the meat smokes, you don't necessarily have to add it, but it does help with lots of dry rubs.

  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Hardest thing to do - remember that I'm no longer the person who implements everything.

    Planning and vision stuff is a lot of fun but I keep thinking 'okay and now I dive into the tools and do it' but instead I have a bunch of people who are doing that and who want to do it.

    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    @Thegreatcow I just noticed the link in your signature and now I'm probably doing those chicken bacon ranch balls for the office potluck next Wednesday and it's all because you mentioned those Costco chicken bakes. For the chicken breasts, do they need to already be cooked or raw? Because I can grab two whole roasted chickens and use those if it's the former.

  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Any of you butts good with MS Access? I have a project to finish today and I can't get a query to work the way I want it to.

    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    @Thegreatcow I just noticed the link in your signature and now I'm probably doing those chicken bacon ranch balls for the office potluck next Wednesday and it's all because you mentioned those Costco chicken bakes. For the chicken breasts, do they need to already be cooked or raw? Because I can grab two whole roasted chickens and use those if it's the former.

    They can be raw, just chopped down to smaller bits. Actually using cooked chicken would be a better idea now that i think about it. That way you can cook the balls faster with faster batch transition. I'd cut the cook time in half if you're using cooked chicken. just make sure it's minced/cubed/shredded whatever and try that. Sounds delicious! :biggrin:

  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Thanks for the tips, I'll grab those ingredients before the weekend and have at it. Do they taste fine cold or should I reheat them at said potluck?

  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    My living room is crowded with Lush managers.

    Well, two of them anyway.

    Now their work is impinging on me!

  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips, I'll grab those ingredients before the weekend and have at it. Do they taste fine cold or should I reheat them at said potluck?

    They're edible cold, but you may want to cut them up into sections as they become quite dense when they get cold (all dat cheese), personally I'd see if there was a way to warm them up at your potluck as they are definitely better gooey warm than cold. Make sure to have some dipping sauces too. Some hot sauce/ranch/bbq sauce are good choices.

  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Heard about a job opening in town, but would need to get a resume written up in like 5 hours from now to have a shot at getting it. It would be a NICE salary hike.

    I probably don't have a chance in hell, and I like where I am except for some bullshit I won't get into, but dammit, if I don't try I'm gonna be mad at myself.

    Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Good luck sir, it's worth it to try at least.

  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    Hardest thing to do - remember that I'm no longer the person who implements everything.

    Planning and vision stuff is a lot of fun but I keep thinking 'okay and now I dive into the tools and do it' but instead I have a bunch of people who are doing that and who want to do it.

    You've reached the golden land. You just say things and they happen. And you sit and drink martinis and tell everyone what a good job you've done.

    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Speaking of ribs, I guess it's kind of frowned upon to use a mustard and season it among big BBQers. We don't have a smoker so we have to do it in the oven. Is there any reason not to marinate it in mustard before hand? Thegreatcow

    Ehhh not really. I mainly use mustard as a binding agent for the dried seasonings to adhere and also add a bit of flavor as the meat smokes, you don't necessarily have to add it, but it does help with lots of dry rubs.

    See that's what I thought. IT tends to taste a little bit more flavorful. We don't tend to use dry rubs anymore, just a mustard rub with some salt and pepper and the ribs turn out pretty good. We do add a BBQ sauce in the last hour of cooking though. (slather in BBQ ever 15 minutes, 3 minute broil after the hour).

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Speaking of ribs, I guess it's kind of frowned upon to use a mustard and season it among big BBQers. We don't have a smoker so we have to do it in the oven. Is there any reason not to marinate it in mustard before hand? Thegreatcow

    Ehhh not really. I mainly use mustard as a binding agent for the dried seasonings to adhere and also add a bit of flavor as the meat smokes, you don't necessarily have to add it, but it does help with lots of dry rubs.

    See that's what I thought. IT tends to taste a little bit more flavorful. We don't tend to use dry rubs anymore, just a mustard rub with some salt and pepper and the ribs turn out pretty good. We do add a BBQ sauce in the last hour of cooking though. (slather in BBQ ever 15 minutes, 3 minute broil after the hour).

    Yup I find it really binds smoke flavor really well and just makes sure the seasonings just stick to the meat instead of falling off as it cooks.

  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I am kind of hoping that the
    "So can I get actual confirmation that you're OK with me going on the christmas holiday I booked before I applied for this job and mentioned at the interview even though the interviewer didn't seem to care much or ask about any dates, and I have asked about on 5 seperate occasions since starting here plus outright asking for written confirmation today"
    situation at my new job isn't going to turn into a "OK so like I told you a bunch of times, I am going on holiday over christmas. Do you want me to come back afterwards?" situation

  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Send the email with a read receipt.

    Or go down to HR and wait until someone physically reviews your time off.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    Argh.

    Crazy, super high-maintenence, exec has her assistant email the service desk. Basically; she's traveling, is coming back for a few days, and then heading to India. She wants her laptop to "have a diagnostic test done" before she goes.

    If we say no, and something happens with her laptop, it's because you wouldn't check it.

    If we say yes, and something happens with her laptop, it's because you did something to it when you checked it.

    Argh.

    Huh...
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I really love how every time I manage to somehow lose cash at work it's always a £20 note. Never a fucking fiver.

    Always awesome to not get any petrol money after driving around for 9 hours.

    Wait no, not awesome. I mean the other thing.

  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I really love how every time I manage to somehow lose cash at work it's always a £20 note. Never a fucking fiver.

    Always awesome to not get any petrol money after driving around for 9 hours.

    Wait no, not awesome. I mean the other thing.

    You're on the hook for that shit personally? I don't know if that's legal if you're in the US.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    If she tried to buy gas with pounds in the US, she wouldn't get very far.

    ruby-red-sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.