As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW] WARLORDS OF DRAENOR: Wait, do I need to feed my entire Garrison on Thanksgiving ?

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I loved WPL and EPL in Vanilla. I remember the ganking :P good times.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Made 35 last night on my Shaman. I've stopped doing quests, because chain running dungeons is infinitely faster. Dudes pack heirloom gear, so they just tear shit up and we run through dungeons like we're speedrunning.

Any major stuff I should do before I hit 60? The game is automatically telling me about mounts and glyphs and bits.

not really. If you want to save some gold, use your WoD 90 boost on your character after 60, you'll get free 280% flying skill and full 600 professions.

And a full set of 22 slot bags. All told between the money you save for profession level ups and the free flying skill upgrades you probably get an equivalent of about 3k gold doing the boost on a level 60 character.

if endgame is your goal its absolutely silly to quest, at almost any level.

I actually wanna experience the game, but I played in vanilla, rerolled in BC and rerolled in Wrath. Even with the redesign: the lower level areas don't exactly excite me.

One of the biggest problems currently if you are trying to experience the game and do all the level up questing stuff is that leveling is so fast now the quests can't keep up so by the end of a zones story line its almost guaranteed to be totally grey to you.

Cata did an impressive revamp on most of the old world level up zones and most are really good but its just really hard to have fun with them when you wind up leveling past your current zones content halfway through the zone it just winds up feeling like you are waisting time not moving on.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »

I actually wanna experience the game, but I played in vanilla, rerolled in BC and rerolled in Wrath. Even with the redesign: the lower level areas don't exactly excite me.

One of the biggest problems currently if you are trying to experience the game and do all the level up questing stuff is that leveling is so fast now the quests can't keep up so by the end of a zones story line its almost guaranteed to be totally grey to you.

Cata did an impressive revamp on most of the old world level up zones and most are really good but its just really hard to have fun with them when you wind up leveling past your current zones content halfway through the zone it just winds up feeling like you are waisting time not moving on.

You haven't done questing since the squish then. There is no more huge XP gap between zones or even expansions. Dungeon quests are also no longer fat XP-filled treats but instead give the same XP as a normal quest. Dungeons themselves however now have a "quest" you get every time you enter where you kill bosses and when it's done you get XP + dungeon finder XP bonus.

Basically you can now level however you like wherever you like without a significant drop in XP.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Bleh, the name I had picked out for my throw-away DK I was going to boost for tradeskill stuff in WoD is now taken (should have reserved it, I just didn't even think about it back then and had no idea boosts would be a thing), and now I can't think of a good one.

I've been cycling through Ghouls on my DK to see if I can find a name, or at least combination of words, that are interesting/funny enough, without being too stupid.

And it can't start with a R, G, B, L, S, or T. :rotate:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I guess the thing that gets me about the WoW2 thing is that currently there are so many unused or even unnecessary zones in WoW. Many of the posts since my last post even indicate that you can just chain run dungeons for a little bit and skip a few ZONES. I haven't leveled from scratch since 6.0 dropped but I have done 1-cap in vanilla horde and alliance and the same in cata, with a few in between. Anyone that has been playing for years has also probably done this and is just tired of the same old zones and will instead just hop on the dungeon train and power level. New players are probably just going to do that too once they figure out "hey i get stronger faster if i just do dungeons with the experienced people".

So there are basically whole continents at this point that are only used for leveling professions (irrelevant in wod), battle pets, possibly xmogs from quests, griefing people in hotspots (hellfire peninsula/old blasted lands pre 6.0). Those aren't exactly compelling reasons for entire continents to exist. They should be repurposed and give people a reason to go to them again, possibly also done with a level squish. If people are just taking the fast lane to cap might as well make it a bullet train.

Give legacy players a FoS and some "mount of the old war" along with "ancient war god" title or some bullshit and most people would be appeased. Overhauling the transmog system to just allow people to scroll through item models would pretty much eliminate 90% of problems people would have with not being able to do content that was removed/changed, then there also wouldnt be a need for people to run old crap and there wouldn't be a reason to waste time balancing it.

As far as naming a DK what race/professions are you going to use it for? I was boring and just named my DK my paladin's name backwards since it's kind of the opposite of a pally. Naming a character is the hardest part of creating one though, i've actually timed out from the login screen because I couldn't think of a name fast enough.

I thought tailoring for sure, for bags; aside from that I'm not sure. I think all of the cooldown crafting materials are soulbound, so I'd want something either I don't have on the server (Inscription is the only tradeskill I don't have on Horde), or...a gathering that could benefit one of my real characters.

Enigmedic wrote: »
    I guess the thing that gets me about the WoW2 thing is that currently there are so many unused or even unnecessary zones in WoW. Many of the posts since my last post even indicate that you can just chain run dungeons for a little bit and skip a few ZONES. I haven't leveled from scratch since 6.0 dropped but I have done 1-cap in vanilla horde and alliance and the same in cata, with a few in between. Anyone that has been playing for years has also probably done this and is just tired of the same old zones and will instead just hop on the dungeon train and power level. New players are probably just going to do that too once they figure out "hey i get stronger faster if i just do dungeons with the experienced people".

So there are basically whole continents at this point that are only used for leveling professions (irrelevant in wod), battle pets, possibly xmogs from quests, griefing people in hotspots (hellfire peninsula/old blasted lands pre 6.0). Those aren't exactly compelling reasons for entire continents to exist. They should be repurposed and give people a reason to go to them again, possibly also done with a level squish. If people are just taking the fast lane to cap might as well make it a bullet train.

He spent an entire evening chain running dungeons to level 35 because he lucked into a group doing chain-runs. DPS normally have longer queue times compared to tanks or healers, so that's not feasible for them. Again, the XP squish has already made it feasible to level in the older zones. Just because you don't quest doesn't mean nobody does and that entire continents should be redone to suit your wants. They're fine as they are.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    What the hell is this talk of giving a reason to not run old raids? It's been my #1 money maker so far since coming back, as people are far too lazy for their own good.

Like the guy who bought a pair of Level 49 green mail shoulders for 2900 gold.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    there doesn't need to be a reason for everybody to want to visit every zone, all the time. Places can just exist.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Arthil wrote: »
    What the hell is this talk of giving a reason to not run old raids? It's been my #1 money maker so far since coming back, as people are far too lazy for their own good.

Some of the armor sets between 40-60 sell for crazy amounts of gold. If you find Exalted, Saltstone, or Glorious plate pieces you've got it made. Especially if they're pants or chestplates.

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    kaid wrote: »

You haven't done questing since the squish then. There is no more huge XP gap between zones or even expansions. Dungeon quests are also no longer fat XP-filled treats but instead give the same XP as a normal quest. Dungeons themselves however now have a "quest" you get every time you enter where you kill bosses and when it's done you get XP + dungeon finder XP bonus.

Basically you can now level however you like wherever you like without a significant drop in XP.

Yeah, I jumped on my 87 druid after the squish (who was in Deepholm, because I've been intentionally getting the zone achievements for questing) and I hit 90 in just a few hours. I was totally baffled until I realizes quests were giving *way* more XP (comparatively) than they did pre-squish. It's pretty awesome.

• EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    there doesn't need to be a reason for everybody to want to visit every zone, all the time. Places can just exist.

Seems like a waste of space and money to me

So bliz has sent out emails to I assume some oceanic people giving out essentially free transfers to oceanic servers, you transfer and get a full refund within 72 hours.

However I've been able to transfer my characters even though my card is empty and has been rejected for each character.

Why? They served their purpose; and honestly are still serving their purpose as they're still there for people to experience, either leveling or otherwise.

It's a completely normal aspect of games for players to consume content then move on. If I'm playing Final Fantasy (1) the forests around Cornelia aren't a 'waste of space and money' simply because I've outleveled the monsters there.

It's just the nature of games, let alone MMO's.

Why? They served their purpose; and honestly are still serving their purpose as they're still there for people to experience, either leveling or otherwise.

It's a completely normal aspect of games for players to consume content then move on. If I'm playing Final Fantasy (1) the forests around Cornelia aren't a 'waste of space and money' simply because I've outleveled the monsters there.

Just seems an odd attitude to have for an open world game let alone an mmo, especially when they'd love nothing more then to get rid of flying and have us spend even more time in pointless content.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    you can't waste something if it's unlimited; there will always be space for more zones

it's unclear how old zones waste money

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    If you are Horde and haven't done the entire Hillsbrad questline then stop whatever you are doing, at any level, and go do it now

It starts off amazing and ends spectacularly

That whole zone is proof that Blizzard has real talent in their writing staff they just don't use it for big stuff for some reason.

edited October 2014

Just seems an odd attitude to have for an open world game let alone an mmo, especially when they'd love nothing more then to get rid of flying and have us spend even more time in pointless content.

I don't understand why it's supposedly an odd attitude. The nature of video games is consuming content; even the most open worldy open world games still have areas you move through and rarely, if ever, return to. Hell, I'd say that WoW and other MMO's manage to get more use out of obsolete content than virtually any other genre.

And even if they were to revamp stuff (again, which they still openly admit was too high on their priority list in Cata), it's not just a win/win. Every dungeon they revamp, even if it is ultimately better in the end, you're still losing what it once was. Granted, out in the open world it's easier to do a Bronze Dragonflight thing where you phase the old version; but that comes with its own slew of problems. It's just that, in the end, even prettied up and brought in line with modern design, UBRS is still UBRS; a dungeon that many of us ran dozens, if not hundreds, of times.

Regardless, I still haven't seen anyone explain how this redone content, whether via xpack or sequel, would escape the exact same issue that the current content has to deal with as far as outleveling and oversaturation of the 'same'. Would you want them to revamp those same zones every level cap increase? How would that be better, just getting redone versions of the exact same stuff, instead of new worlds, lands, and content? If they had scaling of that content built-in, how do they tell players to do the new stuff when they make new stuff?

Honestly, the consuming, outleveling, and in general moving on, from old content is one of the fundamental principles in keeping people playing your MMO. I've no doubt there's a subset of players who would happily keep doing the same thing in the same world over and over and over again (again, core to MMO's, but to a point; they still have to provide new content regularly). But 7+ million subscribers aren't going to stick around to do Feralas at 100, and then at 110...and then at 115, and so on.

The Dude With Herpes on

• SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    One thing they might possibly consider in the future is possibly making most, if not all the content, scale to your level or maybe go GW2 where you downscale to a zone but still get at least semi-normal EXP for your real level. Then you can just pick and choose where you'd like to go based off actual content.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053

In final fantasy 1 there arent/werent patches. In wow they could and should the more they squish they should just make unused areas used. They should just nuke desolace and have the burning legion try something there, or something similar with the emerald dream in feralas. Is anyone really going to cry over not being able to level in those zones? They aren't very interesting compared to most other zones and they are both pretty big zones area wise that could be better utilized.

• VisskarVisskar Registered User regular

Some of the armor sets between 40-60 sell for crazy amounts of gold. If you find Exalted, Saltstone, or Glorious plate pieces you've got it made. Especially if they're pants or chestplates.

Dang, been running old dungeons/raids and vendoring all of the greens. Gotta start paying attention to the market now.

steam_sig.png
    Saldonas wrote: »
    One thing they might possibly consider in the future is possibly making most, if not all the content, scale to your level or maybe go GW2 where you downscale to a zone but still get at least semi-normal EXP for your real level. Then you can just pick and choose where you'd like to go based off actual content.

This is a decent idea. FFXIV does it sort of like that, though you can't sync your level on a whim, you have to do it via FATES or dungeons or what have you.

The biggest problem with it, and I have this vague recollection that some Blues have even commented on it, is how do you handle loot? If you scale your level down, that lower level loot will be worthless once you scale up. If you have the loot scale to your actual level then you have a clusterfuck of itemization and loot access, because suddenly every single quest in the entire game is fair game for current content; which isn't ideal for Blizzard.

It's a problem that can be solved, sure; but like revamping Azeroth in Cata, the question for them ultimately becomes: "Is it worth spending this time on redoing all of this old content, vs making new stuff?" and I think the answer has been, and continues to be, no; it's not, overall. Totally new content is going to appeal to more players than the maintenance and upkeep of old content that they've already done.

You can now. I keep saying that. The XP squish has made it so you can hit 90 while still in Deepholm because XP across the board is much smoother now. It's no longer 10K XP for Outland quests but 20K for Northrend. Instead it's more like 2K XP for Outland quests and 2.5K for Northrend. An upgrade, yeah, but not one of any significant difference.

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular

This is a decent idea. FFXIV does it sort of like that, though you can't sync your level on a whim, you have to do it via FATES or dungeons or what have you.

The biggest problem with it, and I have this vague recollection that some Blues have even commented on it, is how do you handle loot? If you scale your level down, that lower level loot will be worthless once you scale up. If you have the loot scale to your actual level then you have a clusterfuck of itemization and loot access, because suddenly every single quest in the entire game is fair game for current content; which isn't ideal for Blizzard.

It's a problem that can be solved, sure; but like revamping Azeroth in Cata, the question for them ultimately becomes: "Is it worth spending this time on redoing all of this old content, vs making new stuff?" and I think the answer has been, and continues to be, no; it's not, overall. Totally new content is going to appeal to more players than the maintenance and upkeep of old content that they've already done.

Transmog. I happily ran a level 41 dungeon in FFXIV for the weapons at the end because they were unique.

In final fantasy 1 there arent/werent patches. In wow they could and should the more they squish they should just make unused areas used. They should just nuke desolace and have the burning legion try something there, or something similar with the emerald dream in feralas. Is anyone really going to cry over not being able to level in those zones? They aren't very interesting compared to most other zones and they are both pretty big zones area wise that could be better utilized.

The more important question isn't if people will cry losing the old zones; but will enough people participate in the redone content enough to warrant the development time, focus, and costs.

And, from their own mouth, Cata proved that generally, no, they won't.

Many revamped Cata zones had, and still have, better questlines and stories than current, or newer, content. But people still didn't go back and do them (much), at least not enough for Blizzard to feel like it was worth the drawbacks of splitting development time between it and the new content.

This is just a very similar argument to people who want Vanilla (or TBC or whatever) only servers. It sounds simple to do that, but not only is it actually not (from a technical standpoint, from a balance standpoint, from a development standpoint...), it would involve a fairly large cost on Blizzards part to support and maintain these servers. And even then, if they did it, how few of those players asking for it would actually really commit to being fully invested in 10 year old content that they've already done countless times, when the current version of the game is continually adding new stuff? I think, and Blizzard seems to agree, not enough to warrant doing it. Other MMO's have tried the 'pure' server thing, and like most things nostalgia, it's never really how you think you remember it. My point with this comparison is that I think there's a lot of folks who think it'd be rad to keep playing in incrementally updated versions of the same zones every new level cap...but the reality is that it would get old, very very fast.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Cata was a catch 22 for bizzard since Vanilla needed to be redone as it was total garbage but at the same time yea it's not relevant to a lot of players. But I don't think we'll ever see anything like that again.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited October 2014
    Yukira wrote: »

Transmog. I happily ran a level 41 dungeon in FFXIV for the weapons at the end because they were unique.

Right, but how is that different than what you can already do in WoW? You already can go to those zones, dungeons, and so on, in order to get transmog stuff.

And even FFXIV, in the last live letter Q&A, YoshiP said they're working on implementing a way for higher level characters to go and enter lower level dungeons solo if they want; it could be in as early as 2.45; but they've been talking about it since before 2.0 launched. The point being that they're aware that sometimes people just want to wreck shit on their own to get those transmog/glamour things they're looking for, without putting in the investment of actually running the damn dungeons synced to the appropriate level. And as I said, there's nothing preventing a level 100 player from going back to BFD if there's something transmog they want in there. No, they can't make it level capped, or 'sync' down to that level to do it 'right'; but how many people would anyway?

Again, like I said, the problem can be solved; absolutely. The question still remains, is it worth the time, effort, and money, they'd have to spend in order to support making old content scale up to max level (or scale the player down)? It's not a trivial thing, and it would be a balancing nightmare; ultimately for highly questionable gains.

The Dude With Herpes on

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

Or you could do that stuff in new content that is being produced anyway and not waste time and resources on old zones.

I dont even want them to just redo X zone to have new quests for the same level, I want them to create level cap content. Get people out in areas of the world that arent even being used. If they want to just keep creating random land masses that pop up in places that theoretically airships and boats would have passed by a million times then whatever, but that just feels lame.

Like someone said earlier that there was no incentive to go back through the cata zones, no duh. I have no idea how blizzard didnt foresee that. People at max level dont want to go back and do level 20 stuff?! Leveling is fun the first time and sometimes the second, but how many people enjoyed going through the jade forest the 4th-9th time? Most of the redone quests were the same quests just given a better atmosphere to do them in.

Using some zones that are already in the game rather than creating a new island would help speed up development time of new content as well, they would just have to make small changes to the landscape and repopulate it with whatever npcs fit whatever they do. They would also not need another server to host "extra island 3" or whatever, as it would be in areas there are already servers for. Maybe I just hate the 5.4 has been out like FOREVER with no real meaningful content added. I think the timeless isle is terrible since it's just running around hunting for rarespawns and trying to get a tag before 20 people that were ahead of you in the circuit of the island annihilate it. Or now it is just frog fest.

man timeless island is great, I hope there's more stuff like it in WoD

anyway, I guess it would be 'easier' to just populate some random old zone with mobs, but I spent enough time in desolace or wherever to not particularly want to go back there. I'd rather have new zones to run around in, especially at the level they're designing them now

NREqxl5.jpg
    Timeless Isle is fantastic but I would have changed the layout, so you don't only have one specific way to reach a particular area, and also the insta-death mobs if you have any type of ping at all.

Timeless Isle is the best non-raid content they've made in a very, very long time from a gameplay perspective. It preserved the community fun you got for the first week or two of Isle of Thunder for much longer, in a better format.

It hasn't been good enough to last a year, mind, that has been a mistake. One they hopefully don't make again, but we will see.

I am very excited to see an entire continent of zones based of the Timeless Isle design, but presumably with even more improvent. Beats the holy hell out of 50 dailies every day.

One thing to note due to some of the changes with a lot of older world zones being battle group wide zones I actually was noticing WAY more people even in the most obscure of the old world zones when I was leveling my monk last week. Heck I went to silithus to get my mining leveled up and while I was there I saw at least three different groups of people doing questing stuff.

I went there as I expected to be the only person in the zone since its in the tail end of nowhere and about as out of the way as its possible to be and still it was pretty well populated.

I just wish they would do something with material farming

It is ridicuclously, atrociously hard to mine and herb in some places thanks to cross realm.

Timeless Isle is the best non-raid content they've made in a very, very long time from a gameplay perspective. It preserved the community fun you got for the first week or two of Isle of Thunder for much longer, in a better format.

It hasn't been good enough to last a year, mind, that has been a mistake. One they hopefully don't make again, but we will see.

I am very excited to see an entire continent of zones based of the Timeless Isle design, but presumably with even more improvent. Beats the holy hell out of 50 dailies every day.

I would concur it has been so nice being able to get at least reasonable gear pretty quickly to get alts up to speed after not playing for almost a year. The whole cooprative killing of rares is WAY healthier than the old rush to tag MINE MINE MINE method of doing rares.

Also, toys. I love collecting the fun toys from Timeless Isle and it's going to be one of my main pursuits in WoD.

I wish they'd made timeless pieces a higher ilevel because it feels like recently blizzard has been catering to much to their whiny hardcore playerbase, but yes. It was a lot of fun.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Visskar wrote: »

Dang, been running old dungeons/raids and vendoring all of the greens. Gotta start paying attention to the market now.

all glory to the slutplate economy

liEt3nH.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I wish they'd made timeless pieces a higher ilevel because it feels like recently blizzard has been catering to much to their whiny hardcore playerbase, but yes. It was a lot of fun.

What, really? ilevel489 is pretty good. More than enough to get you started in multiple LFR raids.

This discussion has been closed.