As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] WARLORDS OF DRAENOR: Wait, do I need to feed my entire Garrison on Thanksgiving ?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    A lot of issues with tanks in WoD stems from years and years of defensive cooldowns being 'too good to use' due to their loooooong recharge time. It's actually been a tough pill to swallow for me as well, but I'm getting it.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Prot warrior in Gladiator Stance (from a lvl 100 talent) is currently top DPS by an absolutely stupid margin.

Don't expect it to last past the next patch.

Oh I'm sure the bubble will pop on this soon but until then, wheeeee

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Hunter you're the problem everytime. Mage GIVE ME WATER WATER MAGE DO YOU HAVE WATER? Warlock, uhh you're either overpowered or completely neutered I forget where in the cycle warlocks are right now.

On the thoughts of DPS, I saw a warrior dps'ing in prot and doing a decent job of it, so warriors are op in every angle.

Gladiator Stance.

It's the highest DPS spec warriors have.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Ridiculous! Says I who finished my dps silver in tank stance.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Why would you care about getting purple gear if you aren't raiding?
    Raiding is only one facet of the game. Everything is easier the more powerful you are. You crack out dailies faster, you solo rares more easily, you do old content faster.
    For example, just before WoD launched I reactivated my account, and got my new main up to LFRish gear levels. Decided to check out the dinosaur island where you get bones from the dinos. There was stuff there I couldn't solo. Right next to me was a guy in gear about 30 levels above mine, soloing all that stuff quite happily.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Thor1590 wrote: »
    Hey, so, I'm wondering if anyone has had similar experiences:

I'm the healer for my friend group, holy priest. We've got two tanks, one is a druid and one is a DK.

The druid is an absolute pain to heal. We were in a normal dungeon I was convinced was a heroic. I was at like 615 at the time, so was he. Every single pull, it's spamming all my high-throughput crap or the bear dies, even when I remembered to swap my fishing pole out for Real Weapons™ (whoops). Heroics he got frustrated and quit on Slagmaul Mines. He wants to skip every mob he can, pull all the rest all at once that he can't, and gets mad when he dies. I don't necessarily mean to bad-mouth him: he tanked in WotLK and Cata and MoP just fine, which is why I'm trying to see if everyone hates healing bears.

The DK, in contrast, who had literally just hit 610, was a dream. Not even a sweat on the way to bosses, seldom had to drink, I could take my eyes off him for a few seconds and not expect him to be dead when I looked again. In heroics, mind. No CC.

I don't understand.

Now, the druid has been having some trouble adjusting to the way dungeons work now in WoD. As in that you aren't able to just pull all the mobs to the bosses and kill them all at once and never stop. I kind of get the impression that he doesn't feel like he "should" need to use CDs while tanking trash so he's more reluctant to than most, but I'm not sure that accounts for all of it. The experience I had healing one vs. the other is measured in gulfs. The interwebs at large doesn't seem to think bears are bad tanks, or DKs are particularly good ones, but...man. Anyone see anything similar?

He was probably not using Savage Defense or Frenzied Regeneration.

• Options
    Druids are tough. My wife and I dps'd one of the nagrand relite rares with an ally druid who only could heal himself and we managed to get it without issue. I mean the druid almost died, but still 3 man no heals pretty damn good. No way I could brew crew that down.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I'm the healer for my friend group, holy priest. We've got two tanks, one is a druid and one is a DK.

The druid is an absolute pain to heal. We were in a normal dungeon I was convinced was a heroic. I was at like 615 at the time, so was he. Every single pull, it's spamming all my high-throughput crap or the bear dies, even when I remembered to swap my fishing pole out for Real Weapons™ (whoops). Heroics he got frustrated and quit on Slagmaul Mines. He wants to skip every mob he can, pull all the rest all at once that he can't, and gets mad when he dies. I don't necessarily mean to bad-mouth him: he tanked in WotLK and Cata and MoP just fine, which is why I'm trying to see if everyone hates healing bears.

The DK, in contrast, who had literally just hit 610, was a dream. Not even a sweat on the way to bosses, seldom had to drink, I could take my eyes off him for a few seconds and not expect him to be dead when I looked again. In heroics, mind. No CC.

I don't understand.

Now, the druid has been having some trouble adjusting to the way dungeons work now in WoD. As in that you aren't able to just pull all the mobs to the bosses and kill them all at once and never stop. I kind of get the impression that he doesn't feel like he "should" need to use CDs while tanking trash so he's more reluctant to than most, but I'm not sure that accounts for all of it. The experience I had healing one vs. the other is measured in gulfs. The interwebs at large doesn't seem to think bears are bad tanks, or DKs are particularly good ones, but...man. Anyone see anything similar?

Yeah, for the longest time Druid cooldowns were basically... well, no, not useless, but... you just didn't really need them unless things got real hairy. Even without them, you were fairly indestructible.

If people started tanking in MoP it's gonna take them time to adjust. Or more specifically, learn, at least until average gear levels get higher.

I started in TBC so I suspect I'll have an easier time of it.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    I tanked my way through all the expansions, usually switching by the time I do some raiding if only because I can't take the stress/my preferred tank class is always the one that is not as good as the war/pally tank and so I get shifted to tertiary tanking duties.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I don't understand.

Yeah, for the longest time Druid cooldowns were basically... well, no, not useless, but... you just didn't really need them unless things got real hairy. Even without them, you were fairly indestructible.

If people started tanking in MoP it's gonna take them time to adjust. Or more specifically, learn, at least until average gear levels get higher.

I started in TBC so I suspect I'll have an easier time of it.

Savage Defense and Frenzied Regeneration aren't tanking cooldowns, they're active mitigation and should be used constantly.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I spent MoP Feral DPS and kind of loved it because I could Brez when needed, even shoot out a couple emergency heals, etc... if needed.

But the Raid queues killed my interest in DPSing this time around. I don't want to have to kill time. So I am gonna tank it up again.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    Ironically enough I feel my DK is way more squishy than my Brewmaster thus far. My Paladin is sort of in between the two. I don't have my Druid and Warrior leveled yet, but judging by what I've heard from guild healers and friends it seems to be Warrior=Paladin > DK > Druid =Monk.

I will say I've had 0 issue as a Brewmaster thus far once I got used to using my cooldowns and using serenity to build shuffle, but I wonder what my Paladin or Warrior geared to the level my Brewmaster is if what my healer friends say is true.

• Options
    Well anecdotal blah blah blah. In my heroics I've run its all war tanks, only one dk and one druid, no brewmasters, though I don't know if the LFG mechanics would put two monks in the same run.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    How is it farmville? I mean seriously that's just dumb.

It takes all of like 5 minutes to do all the stuff in a garrison before you play and its all upside. They are a personalized capitol city that you can use or not use at your own indiscretion.
    I disagree that the garrison is personalized. Can I paint the buildings? Bring in furniture? Display my weapons on a rack? I can display battle pets, anything else? Are people really building their garrisons not based on gameplay choices, like min/maxing or having extra dungeon quests? I didn't build a lumber mill because I thought it said anything about me, or any of my characters, I built it because it seemed like a very clear choice about getting to build other stuff faster.

I don't think EVE is a great comparison either. It seems like people are saying that because stuff happens while you aren't playing. EVE has so many choices and so much direction that I feel I am making hard decisions about what the next year of my game will be like. In the garrison, it seems like I'm just nudging the path of my character towards the endgame. To be like EVE, I'd want the garrison to grant my character significant abilities I couldn't have otherwise (I'm not saying I want this). Want to cast Ice Boot, build the Frozen Shoe Tree .

The Garrison to me is a series of buttons that pop up and I need to press them down again. Oh, my Alchemy job is done. Ride over, collect and resubmit. Not choice at all. Follower missions has very slight choices, but nothing that's challenging. I want choices I can mess up. If I don't use the right abilities in combat, I die. In a garrison, it's really hard to make a wrong decision at all. And what happens? Things progress slightly slower.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Cirira wrote: »
    Ironically enough I feel my DK is way more squishy than my Brewmaster thus far. My Paladin is sort of in between the two. I don't have my Druid and Warrior leveled yet, but judging by what I've heard from guild healers and friends it seems to be Warrior=Paladin > DK > Druid =Monk.

I will say I've had 0 issue as a Brewmaster thus far once I got used to using my cooldowns and using serenity to build shuffle, but I wonder what my Paladin or Warrior geared to the level my Brewmaster is if what my healer friends say is true.

I don't really know what being a Brewmaster is like, but as a warrior at around ilevel635 I can run Heroics with no CC and a fresh ilevel610 healer without any problems.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Cirira wrote: »

I don't really know what being a Brewmaster is like, but as a warrior at around ilevel635 I can run Heroics with no CC and a fresh ilevel610 healer without any problems.

thats because warriors have like 7 aoe stuns they can use before they have to use anything else. by then most of the pack is dead

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I do wish there were a few different racial versions of the garrisons, although I can definitely understand why there wasn't. (Time.) If only the racial banners and guards didn't require a level 3 Barracks...

A Night Elf-themed garrison in SMV would look *perfect*. Have some of the small buildings be like the ones in Darnassus and be two stories, one on each.

Or, y'know, a draenei one. Not like they're a major focus of that expansion or anything... I do like the back room in the Tier 3 Garrison that lets you put up your Arch projects to decorate. Some dummies in that back room that let you hang your tier gear on would be sweet, too.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Yeah in these new instances you don't want to pull anymore than one pack at a time. And cooldowns should be popped liberally.

Well, FWIW, depending on the group / packs, I can do as many as 3 packs as a DK at ilvl 634, but that requires all my cooldowns.

I think you usually want to do one big pack, or two smaller packs (the UBRS groups of two right before the end boss are really comfortable to double pull) with a good group.

There are a few really dangerous trash mobs though, like the flamethrower orcs on the Grimrail.

For any newer DK tanks, you have a ton of good stuff. Asphyxiate is brilliant, and Remorseless Winter is hilariously OP. Why even interact with a pull's mechanics when you get a 6 second stun on a 1 min cooldown.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    Yeah in these new instances you don't want to pull anymore than one pack at a time. And cooldowns should be popped liberally.

Well, FWIW, depending on the group / packs, I can do as many as 3 packs as a DK at ilvl 634, but that requires all my cooldowns.

I think you usually want to do one big pack, or two smaller packs (the UBRS groups of two right before the end boss are really comfortable to double pull) with a good group.

There are a few really dangerous trash mobs though, like the flamethrower orcs on the Grimrail.

For any newer DK tanks, you have a ton of good stuff. Asphyxiate is brilliant, and Remorseless Winter is hilariously OP. Why even interact with a pull's mechanics when you get a 6 second stun on a 1 min cooldown.

I'd figure its just not worth doing in a pug heroic, because you're hoping the mobs die before you/the healer does, and that's not a bet I'd make.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    The follower limit/reactivation mechanic seems needlessly punitive. I don't really understand why they made it that way, other than to continue the running theme of WoD being a huge gold sink.

I love the garrison don't get me wrong, but it totally feels like a F2P dynamic with the F2P part taken out. Like I would seriously pay to expand my follower limit as I've already had to deactivate 2 of them and I really want dudes in all buildings but can't. I'm having to work my barracks to get that 25 cap and I'm sure I'll hit that and still want more space.
    I agree. I love what they've done with WoD, but then there are these little decisions that annoy the piss out of me.

As I was leveling, I absolutely loved what they did with the unique spawns. Instead of being something you see maybe half a dozen of in your entire time leveling, half of which get tagged by someone else before you, and then off they go on their long respawn time (i.e., the tired MoP/legacy model), they became one-off kills for (potential) good pieces of gear or interesting items and nice chunks of XP. They have shared tagging, and if you just missed one being killed, no biggie, it should respawn in less than a minute. And then I hit 100 and found out all the level 100 rares use the old, shitty, hours-long spawn system. Boo.

I even came across a rare spawn that supposedly drops a sweet healing mace (which would be great for my off spec), killed him, and then after I finished killing the add that came with him, his corpse was gone (apparently it despawned in less than a minute or so?). That was fucking infuriating, knowing my chances of ever being able to kill him again.

Check your mail box. When this happens and an item was actually on the boss you will get mailed it by postmaster although that can take an hour or so sometimes.
    There was nothing in my mail the next day, so I'm assuming I got fucked.

You may want to try swinging by the rare again see if it shows up with the silver elite border if it does kill him again get phat loots. If not then yes you are probably screwed.
    Chance he'll actually be there is low since it's a level 100 one.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    I want choices I can mess up.

WoW ceased to be like this many, many years ago.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    I want choices I can mess up.

WoW ceased to be like this many, many years ago.

Having an entire set of buildings just be the troll buildings that did nothing but be worse than the good buildings means there is no choice at all in buildings and the game might as well just do it for you.

Old talents say hi.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Most druid tanks I've been partied with have been more difficult to heal than other tanks. Just most, though. I had one today that was as easy as a warrior. Not sure if he was just really geared, or if everyone else was doing it wrong.

Being WoW, I'd tend to assume the latter.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The follower limit/reactivation mechanic seems needlessly punitive. I don't really understand why they made it that way, other than to continue the running theme of WoD being a huge gold sink.

I love the garrison don't get me wrong, but it totally feels like a F2P dynamic with the F2P part taken out. Like I would seriously pay to expand my follower limit as I've already had to deactivate 2 of them and I really want dudes in all buildings but can't. I'm having to work my barracks to get that 25 cap and I'm sure I'll hit that and still want more space.
    I agree. I love what they've done with WoD, but then there are these little decisions that annoy the piss out of me.

As I was leveling, I absolutely loved what they did with the unique spawns. Instead of being something you see maybe half a dozen of in your entire time leveling, half of which get tagged by someone else before you, and then off they go on their long respawn time (i.e., the tired MoP/legacy model), they became one-off kills for (potential) good pieces of gear or interesting items and nice chunks of XP. They have shared tagging, and if you just missed one being killed, no biggie, it should respawn in less than a minute. And then I hit 100 and found out all the level 100 rares use the old, shitty, hours-long spawn system. Boo.

I even came across a rare spawn that supposedly drops a sweet healing mace (which would be great for my off spec), killed him, and then after I finished killing the add that came with him, his corpse was gone (apparently it despawned in less than a minute or so?). That was fucking infuriating, knowing my chances of ever being able to kill him again.

Check your mail box. When this happens and an item was actually on the boss you will get mailed it by postmaster although that can take an hour or so sometimes.

You may want to try swinging by the rare again see if it shows up with the silver elite border if it does kill him again get phat loots. If not then yes you are probably screwed.

If it was one of the lv100 ones, then I think they play by slightly different rules. First, they don't always drop their item, and I don't think they readily shed their rare status. My only experience with this is a rare rockworm in one of the ogre camps in Frostfire. It says he drops a caster shield. When I found it and killed it, nothing dropped. A few days later I was in the area again and spotted him, but he was still rare despite me knowing I killed him before. Did it again, and this time he dropped the shield.

To put it more simply, if you didn't get mail from the postmaster with the mace, then it most likely didn't drop anything anyways. And I'd check again to see if it's still rare.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    You can add racial decorations to certain garrison buildings at some point, but there's no buildings besides orc/human.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I've gotten compliments tanking heroics on my druid from healers. I doubt they're the best, but they don't seem bad. You just have to rotate your active mitigation constantly. You can have something up 100% of the time.

It's definitely not the "Swipe it and Forget it" bear tank of MoP (that I personally hated).

[edit]I've got a paladin up and coming on the Horde side I'm grooming for my new main. I'll be able to better compare them when she gets out of Panda land (hopefully tonight) and gets geared, etc. I want to make that MC deadline for the crown of fire helm.

Anyway, my guess is that the physical damage might be spikier on the paladin, because they can't have mitigation up 100% of the time like the druid, but they can block. So, gotta trust to RNGesus on that one. For magic damage, the paladin is just going to be far and away better to deal with that. I feel the druid is really weak in countering magic.

For just huge groups of the general thick foreheaded cretins with clubs, I still don't think you can beat a druid making smart use of roots and treants.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    The postmaster only mails stuff from instances, I think.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    The postmaster only mails stuff from instances, I think.

No, he can do any loot. I was collecting some item off of Oshu'gun, and I don't know what I did but I glitched it out. The item was gone, the map icon vanished as though I collected it, but I had nothing. A little bit later I jumped into a dungeon, and flipped my lid on how I could have loot from the postmaster despite not having freakin' started it. It was the item I glitched out.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Don't turn around...

The Postmaster

is right behind you.......

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular

If it was one of the lv100 ones, then I think they play by slightly different rules. First, they don't always drop their item, and I don't think they readily shed their rare status. My only experience with this is a rare rockworm in one of the ogre camps in Frostfire. It says he drops a caster shield. When I found it and killed it, nothing dropped. A few days later I was in the area again and spotted him, but he was still rare despite me knowing I killed him before. Did it again, and this time he dropped the shield.

To put it more simply, if you didn't get mail from the postmaster with the mace, then it most likely didn't drop anything anyways. And I'd check again to see if it's still rare.
    Chances are I'll go up there (it's way out of the way of anything I actually want to do) and won't see anything because he takes hours (presumably) to recycle.

That's the shitty way to do unique mobs, btw.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

I don't understand.

What is the bear saving his cooldowns for, his birthday?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    So, for the Leeeeeeeroy...? achievement:

My group failed it because we didn't pull Son of Beast in time at all. We also left a couple of trash packs in the room before the third boss. Oddly enough, when he said he was ready to pull and started running at us, we waited... and waited.... and I guess he must've died because the trash didn't come with him at all?

Anyway, as the healer, I should feel comfortable with blowing through mana and drinking when necessary between large group pulls for this, right? My roommate's my tank, so we're in the same room half of the time and I let him know he's safe to pull, but I don't think he's comfortable group pulling so many enemies when the DPS are all pug (and therefore not entirely reliable), and also, it means a lack of CC if we're trying to race to complete the achievement. For what it's worth, we're both 630+ (just finished Chapter 1 for the legendary rings).

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    you won't need any CC on UBRS trash. Just pull one pack at a time, it's not that much faster than multi-pulling. You have to clear every single trash pack between Kyrak and Son of Beast, not a single one can be left.

To speed up the Gauntlet boss you can aggro the enemies behind the gate before the gate opens, they'll phase through with normal aggro in a nice big clump which means you can kill the birds before they take flight.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Man, the pain of thinking about coming back: which of the many servers (and both factions) do I go to with my free level 90? I have an 85 Alliance character, maybe I should 90 boost horde.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    CM URBS: ouch

also I've read some stuff saying that guardian is on the underperforming end of the tank spectrum atm (along with monk), but I haven't had much trouble with them in heroics generally

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options

yeah no fucking kidding, wow. The first two bosses are BRUTAL.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular

NICE! My fresh 90 paladin is a blood elf. EXCITE!

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular

yeah no fucking kidding, wow. The first two bosses are BRUTAL.

We found the second boss super easy. By far the easiest of all of then. The first boss we totally cheesed through, because we had everyone except the tank and healer die removing his six stack, but then they solo'd the rest of the fight since he doesn't do any more stacks after that. The third boss we spent a while dying on because we thought we'd be clever and invis past the trash and just jump straight into the pit. It worked really well, until his mount fly past the pack just in front of the pit and pulled aggro on them.

For us the last boss was the real shit show. It wasn't until we remembered that Aspect of the Fox was a thing that we finally got it down.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    How did you deal with the initial massive tank damage? I really struggled.

I was in a pug and stuck on US servers, so dodging the eruptions from the drakonids was near impossible.

This discussion has been closed.