As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Superheroes] and such.

19495969798100»

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Big Hero 6 was really great.
    Number of cameos I caught: Ultraman and Mazinger Z.

There was a poster in Fred's room that looked like it belonged to something, but maybe it was just a faux-Evangelion homage.

There was a very subtle Dragon Ball reference as well.

Where?

And since I still lump Dragon Ball with Superhero talk, the key visual for the next movie has been revealed. Spoilers if you don't want to know who gets revived.

00dra2.jpg

I don't see how much of a threat he would be considering the last couple of times he was revived, he would get taken out in a single hit or two.

But they're obviously going to introduce some sort of powerup to make him a threat again. In the end this is probably just an excuse to recreate Goku vs Freeza in HD theater-budget animation, so I'm all for it.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-11-17/1st-key-visual-for-2015-dragon-ball-z-film-reveals-frieza/.81112

Battle of the Gods was terrific and is absolutely worth a watch.

It also retconned GT out of existence

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    It was an appreciated movie for that alone.

• GuekGuek Registered User regular
    I hope Vegeta gets substantially stronger. Would be very nice to see even if he'll never surpass Goku

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

There was a poster in Fred's room that looked like it belonged to something, but maybe it was just a faux-Evangelion homage.

Where?

And since I still lump Dragon Ball with Superhero talk, the key visual for the next movie has been revealed. Spoilers if you don't want to know who gets revived.

00dra2.jpg

I don't see how much of a threat he would be considering the last couple of times he was revived, he would get taken out in a single hit or two.

But they're obviously going to introduce some sort of powerup to make him a threat again. In the end this is probably just an excuse to recreate Goku vs Freeza in HD theater-budget animation, so I'm all for it.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-11-17/1st-key-visual-for-2015-dragon-ball-z-film-reveals-frieza/.81112

I still need to watch it, but how did it do that?

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    What Marvel character could John Cho be

6F32U1X.png
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    He's kinda old, but Amadeus Cho sort of springs immediately to mind because of reasons.

But frankly I'd love to see him as Spider-man just because I think he has a pretty solid Peter Parker vibe going on.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    John Cho is 42 dude

he's WAY too old for amadeus, and probably too old for peter

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Time for the weekly "I want my pet actor to play everyone in the MCU" page

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    John Cho is 42 dude

he's WAY too old for amadeus, and probably too old for peter

I mean, they could tweak the characters for screen, happens all the time in adaptations.

Actually, now that I think about it, I would love a sort of 70's Hulk TV Series where Cho has just been on the run his whole life and is now hardend bad-ass MacGuyver-genius John Cho.

Who uses like

I don't know

professional wrestling

as his main defensive fighting style.

Kyougu wrote: »

Where?

00dra2.jpg

I still need to watch it, but how did it do that?
    Not overtly
    Basically its Toriyama adding new canon. This takes place after Buu and adds a new final Super sayian form that ignores SSJ4

• GuekGuek Registered User regular
    John Cho for MCU Gladiator. CGI his head onto Terry Crews' body

Okay, yes, do that.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Guek wrote: »

You're joking, but it occurs to me they COULD actually start frankensteining movie actors before too long.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I would say not being a dude cruising towards 50 is a pretty essential part of the Amadeus Cho character.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    They should introduce Cho in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Though I guess his initial arc would be too close to Skye.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Should MCU Dr. Strange still have a Wong?

That... came out wrong.

cu4c1c5yy0xr.png

You're joking, but it occurs to me they COULD actually start frankensteining movie actors before too long.

You about 5 years too late to be worried about that

Captain America didnt suddenly grow a foot 25% of the way through captain america by just working out really hard

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Captain America didnt suddenly grow a foot 25% of the way through captain america by just working out really hard

Yes, and they tried to use a body double and Frankenstein Evans face on

And that didn't work

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    What Marvel character could John Cho be

I mean we were just talking about Jimmy Woo a page ago

Wong being his assistant seems ok. Like he needs somebody who can keep his corporeal form safe. A badass warrior monk can do that

edited November 2014

Yeah, but that was used for a very specific plot purpose, for the first part of the film. I'm talking about using it all the time, for the purpose of assembling an "ideal" actor. (so, like, if instead of Chris Prat getting into shape, they just cg'd him for the entire film to look buff when he's still as chubby as he was on parks and rec.)

I don't think the tech is cheap enough to justify it for an entire movie, compared to just getting an actor who,will get in shape, but one day it probably will be.

Undead Scottsman on
    Straightzi wrote: »

And that didn't work

Disagree

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

And that didn't work

Disagree

No, I mean, that's not what they did in the film, from what I remember

They went full blown CGI with significant sections of it because the body double didn't move in the right ways in order to pull off what they needed

And that didn't work

It totally did because they spent the whole movie playing up his size with camera and make up tricks. So when you got to the cgi you were already expecting a skinny short guy

David_T wrote: »
    Should MCU Dr. Strange still have a Wong?

That... came out wrong.

My gut reaction to this is "no".

edited November 2014
    Actually, they used multiple tricks in different scenes depending on what was needed. There was a skinny body double that they filmed from behind and sometimes put Evans face onto, other times they cgi'd him smaller, other times they used camera tricks. The idea was to not rely on one trick, but to use several, making it harder for your brain to home in on how the visual was being manipulated.

Undead Scottsman on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Jay Chou is a poor actor, and not just in English

I thought he was fairly charismatic in Green Hornet but it's the only thing I've seen him in

Are you telling you've never seen the masterpiece that is the live-action version of Initial D??

What is initial D

Let's put it this way.

When the trailer for Tokyo Drift played before V for Vendetta all those years ago, my friends and I thought it was a trailer for an Initial D movie.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Initial D is strangely engaging

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I cab't even remember the character's names anymore, but I still remember

five consecutive hairpin turns

b1ehrMM.gif
    Cover for GotG #24 looks like a party
    gargal2013024-cov-col-112761.jpg

• FoolOnTheHillFoolOnTheHill PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    I... I don't see how that's a party.

Why is Howard there

How is the weather alive

Cosmo!

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    FoolOnTheHill Quotes Worst Line in Perpetuity of All Superhero Movies, Reminds Area Forum of Their Strong Opinions on Myriad Topics

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    The watcher

Not the weather

I wish mobile worked consistently for editing

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Well, there's a whole race of Watchers out there

Hell, the watcher had a wife and kid.

This discussion has been closed.