As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Rebels] Season 4: May the Fourth Be With Uth

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    There's even a scene where they have that conversation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLnIwpGFclA

Clone Wars does a good job of shifting Anakin from basically just a whiny brat, into a dude whose primary flaw is that he's too darn invested in the people in his life to be impartial - which is the number one requirement of being a jedi. Obi Wan chooses the jedi over love as a young man, but because he chose he's able to be both a good dude and a good jedi. Ahsoka eventually makes a choice as well, which requires her to leave Anakin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS6Sw8kDnC0

But Anakin is never able to decide between the two things he wants, and in the end that's what leads to his fall.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    LOL. yeah, he's talking about the show rebels. You know, what this thread is about?

So, question: does kanaan and ezra feel like a cheat? I know it's a kids show, but I feel like hunting down some of the last jedi would be bigger than this. although maybe I'm not giving the inquisitors their due. I dunno.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    There's even a scene where they have that conversation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLnIwpGFclA

Clone Wars does a good job of shifting Anakin from basically just a whiny brat, into a dude whose primary flaw is that he's too darn invested in the people in his life to be impartial - which is the number one requirement of being a jedi. Obi Wan chooses the jedi over love as a young man, but because he chose he's able to be both a good dude and a good jedi. Ahsoka eventually makes a choice as well, which requires her to leave Anakin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS6Sw8kDnC0

But Anakin is never able to decide between the two things he wants, and in the end that's what leads to his fall.

Which leads me to say again. I wish the CloneWars/Rebels team would be given the chance to write/make their own version of Episode III.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    Ehhh, I dunno. None of those things seem like unreasonable demands aside from the being above the law.

Because jedi like them some arm slashin.

I think it gets overlooked that the Jedi Order, and the Jedi in general, suffer the sin of pride, because, seriously they do. I mean, it's probably the single most realistic aspect about the Jedi order: if you've been the telepathic, telekinetic, closed warrior cult at the very apex of (somewhat corrupt and very incompetent) galactic government for thousands of years--indeed, your mere existence is why that corrupt and incompetent government has endured--you're going to have some pride. Probably a very high, even delusional amount of it.

Come to think of it, when Yoda repeats the Jedi mantra of what leads to the dark side--fear, anger, suffering, heartbreak--he doesn't say pride, does he? Obviously, it's assumed that pride is a common cause of anger or fear or any other negative emotions that he directly addresses, but pride isn't worth mentioning by name? It's...almost weird. An oversight?

In any case, the Jedi Orders strikes me as incredibly prideful, which is entirely believable and even probably necessary to the sustainability of the Order. Mace Windu is one proud motherfucker, and that's literally apparent from the first second we see him. The Jedi Council doesn't seem so far removed, Yoda's modest behavior and mannerisms aside (and even he has very plainly evident moments).

I don't think the Jedi Order would have survived as an autonomous, above-the-law, allegedly apolitical guardian organization above all others in the known universe (and funded and enabled by the Republican government) without the pride of convictions--living in a "more civilized time" with even a nominal commitment to democratic processes and rule of law should demand the curtail of any organization like that, much less one where the members can read minds, recruit children, assume control of the military and, rarely but reliable produce horrifying monsters that murder everything in their path. That they didn't, and that the only way the Jedi Order was reduced in power was its literal destruction at the hands of a political revolution, only supports that.

But again, a lot of that is tied up in the "behind the scenes" unexplained phenomena that are being replaced. In the EU, a major characteristic of Luke's new Jedi Order, perhaps unintentionally, is that it deliberately corrects a lot of these aspects: the Jedi are probably still above the law ("Blow up a star? Well, if you're real sorry, we forgive you. Plus, they were unarmed Imperial subjects, they don't count."), but they don't count on the ideological conditioning of children, they don't take a vow of celibacy (though I guess it's encouraged at least), they don't forbid any form of emotional intimacy and they don't have a complete monopoly on the officer corps (something even the Republic in its dying days realized was stupid as fuck, alongside the whole cloned war slaves fiasco). As a result, that new Order faces an uphill battle reestablishing themselves, but they're still a fundamentally different organization--probably one that isn't literally ten minutes from launching a successful coup d'etat against the Republican leadership.

But all that's been replaced, of course. There doesn't seem to be a new Jedi order in TFA (or for that matter, more than one Sith practitioner?). We don't know if Luke tried or not, but it's nice to think that once the truth was revealed to him, he realized that such a fucked-up quasi-governmental religious order really had no place, in its exact form, in a world where the Rebel Alliance was trying to bring down a tyrannical Empire.

For what it's worth. Lucas said in an interview that Jedi aren't celibate. On to a point, though -- the Jedi as they were in the Clone Wars and the Rise of the Empire were not what the Jedi were ever meant to be. They were never supposed to be an army of 10,000 Captain Americas gallivanting through the galaxy smashing armies to bits with war slaves at their back. They were supposed to be, like said, peacekeepers. 95% of the time they should just be setting in their temples contemplating for Force. People, especially in the Knights of the Old Republic games, always give the Jedi flack about being slow to act or detached from the galaxy as a whole. But they HAVE to be. We've seen what happens when they aren't that. Name one time in the entire Star Wars mythos both canon and legends where the Jedi being provoked to act out of necessity hasn't ended up HORRIBLY for both their order and the galaxy at large.

In other words, the Order, like the Republic, is rotten to its core. Good riddance. RotS seems to deal more with how things are they how they should be, to its credit.

Didn't know about the celibate thing. Honestly, I was just extrapolating from the whole "Jedi shall not know love." And really, celibacy is a pretty small problem--Buddhist monks are celibate, and they don't launch a coup to take over the country they reside in (not recently anyway). Buddhist monks aren't above the law, which is pretty important too.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Ehhh, I dunno. None of those things seem like unreasonable demands aside from the being above the law.

I think it gets overlooked that the Jedi Order, and the Jedi in general, suffer the sin of pride, because, seriously they do. I mean, it's probably the single most realistic aspect about the Jedi order: if you've been the telepathic, telekinetic, closed warrior cult at the very apex of (somewhat corrupt and very incompetent) galactic government for thousands of years--indeed, your mere existence is why that corrupt and incompetent government has endured--you're going to have some pride. Probably a very high, even delusional amount of it.

Come to think of it, when Yoda repeats the Jedi mantra of what leads to the dark side--fear, anger, suffering, heartbreak--he doesn't say pride, does he? Obviously, it's assumed that pride is a common cause of anger or fear or any other negative emotions that he directly addresses, but pride isn't worth mentioning by name? It's...almost weird. An oversight?

In any case, the Jedi Orders strikes me as incredibly prideful, which is entirely believable and even probably necessary to the sustainability of the Order. Mace Windu is one proud motherfucker, and that's literally apparent from the first second we see him. The Jedi Council doesn't seem so far removed, Yoda's modest behavior and mannerisms aside (and even he has very plainly evident moments).

I don't think the Jedi Order would have survived as an autonomous, above-the-law, allegedly apolitical guardian organization above all others in the known universe (and funded and enabled by the Republican government) without the pride of convictions--living in a "more civilized time" with even a nominal commitment to democratic processes and rule of law should demand the curtail of any organization like that, much less one where the members can read minds, recruit children, assume control of the military and, rarely but reliable produce horrifying monsters that murder everything in their path. That they didn't, and that the only way the Jedi Order was reduced in power was its literal destruction at the hands of a political revolution, only supports that.

But again, a lot of that is tied up in the "behind the scenes" unexplained phenomena that are being replaced. In the EU, a major characteristic of Luke's new Jedi Order, perhaps unintentionally, is that it deliberately corrects a lot of these aspects: the Jedi are probably still above the law ("Blow up a star? Well, if you're real sorry, we forgive you. Plus, they were unarmed Imperial subjects, they don't count."), but they don't count on the ideological conditioning of children, they don't take a vow of celibacy (though I guess it's encouraged at least), they don't forbid any form of emotional intimacy and they don't have a complete monopoly on the officer corps (something even the Republic in its dying days realized was stupid as fuck, alongside the whole cloned war slaves fiasco). As a result, that new Order faces an uphill battle reestablishing themselves, but they're still a fundamentally different organization--probably one that isn't literally ten minutes from launching a successful coup d'etat against the Republican leadership.

But all that's been replaced, of course. There doesn't seem to be a new Jedi order in TFA (or for that matter, more than one Sith practitioner?). We don't know if Luke tried or not, but it's nice to think that once the truth was revealed to him, he realized that such a fucked-up quasi-governmental religious order really had no place, in its exact form, in a world where the Rebel Alliance was trying to bring down a tyrannical Empire.

For what it's worth. Lucas said in an interview that Jedi aren't celibate. On to a point, though -- the Jedi as they were in the Clone Wars and the Rise of the Empire were not what the Jedi were ever meant to be. They were never supposed to be an army of 10,000 Captain Americas gallivanting through the galaxy smashing armies to bits with war slaves at their back. They were supposed to be, like said, peacekeepers. 95% of the time they should just be setting in their temples contemplating for Force. People, especially in the Knights of the Old Republic games, always give the Jedi flack about being slow to act or detached from the galaxy as a whole. But they HAVE to be. We've seen what happens when they aren't that. Name one time in the entire Star Wars mythos both canon and legends where the Jedi being provoked to act out of necessity hasn't ended up HORRIBLY for both their order and the galaxy at large.

In other words, the Order, like the Republic, is rotten to its core. Good riddance. RotS seems to deal more with how things are they how they should be, to its credit.

The Order and Republic weren't rotten to the core. The Jedi got lazy and arrogant from being top dog too long, the Republic secretly got hi-jacked by the greatest Sith in generations who manipulated it like a puppet. Take Palpatine's influence away, and it'd be less corrupt than it was, it was useful to him for two reasons A) it made him could look like the righteous savior as Chancellor, and B) he was responsible for influencing and profiting from it in his Sith persona. Both were crucial for Palpatine to take over the Republic to transform it into the Empire.
    Didn't know about the celibate thing. Honestly, I was just extrapolating from the whole "Jedi shall not know love." And really, celibacy is a pretty small problem--Buddhist monks are celibate, and they don't launch a coup to take over the country they reside in (not recently anyway).

Buddhist monks weren't space wizards, last I checked. ;)

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

The Order and Republic weren't rotten to the core. The Jedi got lazy and arrogant from being top dog too long, the Republic secretly got hi-jacked by the greatest Sith in generations who manipulated it like a puppet. Take Palpatine's influence away, and it'd be less corrupt than it was, it was useful to him for two reasons A) it made him could look like the righteous savior as Chancellor, and B) he was responsible for influencing and profiting from it in his Sith persona. Both were crucial for Palpatine to take over the Republic to transform it into the Empire.
    Didn't know about the celibate thing. Honestly, I was just extrapolating from the whole "Jedi shall not know love." And really, celibacy is a pretty small problem--Buddhist monks are celibate, and they don't launch a coup to take over the country they reside in (not recently anyway).

Honestly, that's what I meant--the Order's own Jedi (and not their Republican proxies or their bureaucracy or anything) are, as you said, painfully arrogant (lazy? I don't know about that). The only functioning civilian bureaucracy in the Republican government, the Chancellory, is literally the toy of someone who's alter ego is the most wanted man in the galaxy and the de facto head of the opposing political bloc, because no one is not stupid enough to see through a cloak and a funny voice.

That's rotten to the core to me. A difference in definitions then.

Yeah, I guess that's why they can be trusted with celibacy oaths. ;)

• Options
    edited November 2015

Honestly, that's what I meant--the Order's own Jedi (and not their Republican proxies or their bureaucracy or anything) are, as you said, painfully arrogant (lazy? I don't know about that). The only functioning civilian bureaucracy in the Republican government, the Chancellory, is literally the toy of someone who's alter ego is the most wanted man in the galaxy and the de facto head of the opposing political bloc, because no one is not stupid enough to see through a cloak and a funny voice.

That's rotten to the core to me. A difference in definitions then.

Yeah, I guess that's why they can be trusted with celibacy oaths. ;)

The Jedi didn't miss Palpatine due to laziness, corruption or stupidity* it'd that Palpy was that damn good at cloaking his activities. That's why he was greatest Sith in generations. Also, barely anyone knew Sideous existed and those who did know who weren't corrupted by him barely saw him in person, only his proxies. The scene where Windu faces off with Sideous is ground breaking in-story since the Jedi finally catch onto his antics and encounter him in the flesh.

That's not being rotten, that's being outwitted by the bad guy. Corruption is a completely different definition.

edit: Corrupted Jedi are Count Dooku,
    Barriss Offee
    and the guy who wanted to murder clones.

* though they're written that way because of bad writing, like everyone is aside from Palpatine

edit: Palpy's powers were so influential nothing would have changed if they had scenes where he literally read the script for it. That's how protected by the writers he was in the prequels.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    The music during the prototype flight test is almost exactly the same as the music from the movie The Rocketeer. Which kinda makes sense.

Wrong thread? :D

No. Not at all.

Oh. Thought you were referring to the JB-9 maiden flight.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

The Jedi didn't miss Palpatine due to laziness, corruption or stupidity* it'd that Palpy was that damn good at cloaking his activities. That's why he was greatest Sith in generations. Also, barely anyone knew Sideous existed and those who did know who weren't corrupted by him barely saw him in person, only his proxies. The scene where Windu faces off with Sideous is ground breaking in-story since the Jedi finally catch onto his antics and encounter him in the flesh.

That's not being rotten, that's being outwitted by the bad guy. Corruption is a completely different definition.

edit: Corrupted Jedi are Count Dooku,
    Barriss Offee
    and the guy who wanted to murder clones.

* though they're written that way because of bad writing, like everyone is aside from Palpatine

edit: Palpy's powers were so influential nothing would have changed if they had scenes where he literally read the script for it. That's how protected by the writers he was in the prequels.

The Jedi Order didn't know that Palpatine was Sith until Anakin told them right before they went in. They knew there was a Sith master pulling Doku's strings, but they had no knowledge how what he looked like or where he was. They dismissed what Doku told Kenobi on Geonisis as "sith lies"(which probably helped hide Palpatine even more). They probably thought that the Sith Master was running the CIS behind the scenes

They wanted to make sure that the Chancellor turned over the war time powers to the senate after the war. Before Anakin told them he was Sith, they though Palpatine was only an ambitious politician using the crisis to gain more power.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The music during the prototype flight test is almost exactly the same as the music from the movie The Rocketeer. Which kinda makes sense.

Wrong thread? :D

No. Not at all.

Oh. Thought you were referring to the JB-9 maiden flight.

No I was refering the the most recent episode of the show this thread is supposed to be about, in which almost the exact music from the Rocketeer is used in a similar fashion to how it is used in that movie.

Which I thought was both neat and also odd of the music direction.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Watching this weeks episode.
    I guess they are ret coning the B-Wing Designer. The original b-wing designer was Akbar.

I am okay with them changing it. It was expanded universe.

I do like the Empire blockading with mostly destroyers and lighter attack vessels instead of using Star Destroyers all the time. Especially since these are back waters where a Star Destroyer would be over kill.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Then again, if there's one thing the Empire does very well*, it's overkill.

* except when facing PCs, of course.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Name one time in the entire Star Wars mythos both canon and legends where the Jedi being provoked to act out of necessity hasn't ended up HORRIBLY for both their order and the galaxy at large.

The First Great Hyperspace war turned out okay. And they would have been better off being more decisive with Exar Kun I think.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Watching this weeks episode.
    I guess they are ret coning the B-Wing Designer. The original b-wing designer was Akbar.

I am okay with them changing it. It was expanded universe.

I do like the Empire blockading with mostly destroyers and lighter attack vessels instead of using Star Destroyers all the time. Especially since these are back waters where a Star Destroyer would be over kill.

Strike Force: Shantipole!
    I had that module back in the day.

The episode was a good retelling of it. Instead of a blockade around a planet, it was a blockade around a astroid belt. The B-wings where used to break out the blockade instead of in. It was also set after Yavin.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Which leads me to say again. I wish the CloneWars/Rebels team would be given the chance to write/make their own version of Episode III.

I'm really drunk right now so I can't assess the feasibility of this, but could you assign "POV Characters" to Ep3 and then do a cartoon/CG version from the outside looking in? Potentially fixing it into not-a-mess?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    re: Cloned War Slaves

In some ways, the Droids actually have it worse. They were literal property, despite being sentient. Were subject to having their memories/personalities erased on a regular basis, destroyed for entertainment, and barred from even entering certain establishments.

The clones were at least mostly treated as sentient beings, just ones forced into conscription to fight a war (although there were some that treated them just like droids/disposable). At least when the war was over the clones were allowed to go live normal lives.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Hey thread, I have been wanting to watch this show. Is it on Netflix / Hulu / Amazon Prime, or do I have to record episodes. If I have to DVR it, how essential is it that I start from the beginning, or can I just kinda jump in on whatever has been playing and figure things out as I go?

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    TDawg wrote: »
    Hey thread, I have been wanting to watch this show. Is it on Netflix / Hulu / Amazon Prime, or do I have to record episodes. If I have to DVR it, how essential is it that I start from the beginning, or can I just kinda jump in on whatever has been playing and figure things out as I go?

You can jump in with just a basic knowledge of Star Wars. You'll miss out on some of the background of these specific characters, but you shouldn't be too far out of the loop so long as you know that The Rebels are the Good Guys and The Empire is Bad.

That said, the first season starts a bit slow, but it ramps up to really good by the end and is well worth the time to watch it.

Edit: Also, if you have to pick one episode to watch to catch you up
    , Siege of Lothal, it's a two part episode featuring Vader showing up and wrecking shit.
    This is the biggest change of Status Quo in the series (so far), so it's a pretty good place to start.
    I don't think it's a spoiler that Vader shows up in Star Wars, or that when he does shit gets wrecked, but just in case...

see317 on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular

I wish all the screenwriters in the world would look at Asajj Ventress and realize that's how you write a good antagonist.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

I wish all the screenwriters in the world would look at Asajj Ventress and realize that's how you write a good antagonist.

Now there's a villain made for hero/villain team-up episodes. She's got chemistry with practically everyone (not Oppress).

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    if you have a smart device, you can watch the first season on the Disney XD app. Verizon just wiped the first season from their list, but still has siege of lothal on it. They do have all the 2nd season episodse

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Now there's a villain made for hero/villain team-up episodes. She's got chemistry with practically everyone (not Oppress).

It's the one big ongoing disappointment with rebels so far. Clone Wars had a bunch of iconic likeable female characters. Even smaller roles like Barriss and Luminara were pretty cool and had lots of personality, and the show did a good job of matching them with different characters and finding unique chemistry there.

Rebels so far is mostly the Kanan show. Sabine is kind of a nothing, and Hera is mostly just a pretty standard team mom.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Kana wrote: »

It's the one big ongoing disappointment with rebels so far. Clone Wars had a bunch of iconic likeable female characters. Even smaller roles like Barriss and Luminara were pretty cool and had lots of personality, and the show did a good job of matching them with different characters and finding unique chemistry there.

Rebels so far is mostly the Kanan show. Sabine is kind of a nothing, and Hera is mostly just a pretty standard team mom.

Clone Wars had a lot of that set up from the previous cartoon, Ventress was in that too. Rebels is starting from scratch.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Well this week's episode seems to focus on Sabine, titled "Blood Sisters" and may reveal some of her past.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    This week's episode:
    Gina Torres! Gonk!

Next Week:
    So the Interdictor cruiser officially enters the new canon? Nice.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Next Week:
    It's really weird that this series is still set several years before ANH, and they're already introducing stuff like the B-wing, the TIE Advanced and the Interdictor cruisers.
    I know, the old EU is not canon anymore, but I can't just forget all the old timelines and stuff.

• Options
    I still remember the mission in TIE Fighter where I first met the
    Interdictor.

I had to do that mission over and over again, because it kept getting blown up.

Awesome ship, though.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Next Week:
    It's really weird that this series is still set several years before ANH, and they're already introducing stuff like the B-wing, the TIE Advanced and the Interdictor cruisers.
    I know, the old EU is not canon anymore, but I can't just forget all the old timelines and stuff.
    The Tie Advanced is definitely pre-ANH, Vader uses one in ANH so it stands to reason that it was built beforehand. What is stranger is that they don't use it in the subsequent movies or apparently TFA coming December. The Interdictor was never in any of the movies so having it show up is not out there.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    New episode:
    -Not really a secret weapon if Imperial Academy recruits have heard about it
    -"This armor does not protect you from anything!"
    -Ezra riding Chopper like D-Horse
    -Chopper sabotaging the gravity to get the Imperial techs to Wilhem into the bottomless pits common in Imperial architecture (apparently without giving a fuck about Ezra)
    -"I'll pull, you aim."
    -For a brief moment there, Rex looked like a goner

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Next Week:
    The Tie Advanced is definitely pre-ANH, Vader uses one in ANH so it stands to reason that it was built beforehand. What is stranger is that they don't use it in the subsequent movies or apparently TFA coming December. The Interdictor was never in any of the movies so having it show up is not out there.
    Sure it was pre-ANH, but I didn't think it would be this far pre-ANH.
    I mean, we're still 5-6 years before Obi Wan wanders out of the desert and takes Luke on a jaunt to Alderaan. But Vader's TIE (in Siege of Lothal) is (as far as I could tell) identical to the one he flew on the Death Star defense when it was supposed to be an advanced prototype fighter. And the fact that it was never used again I assumed meant that Vader gave it the thumbs down after testing it.

I'm not complaining though. Just saying it's kind of messing with my head-canon time line here.
    But that's just me.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Next Week:
    Sure it was pre-ANH, but I didn't think it would be this far pre-ANH.
    I mean, we're still 5-6 years before Obi Wan wanders out of the desert and takes Luke on a jaunt to Alderaan. But Vader's TIE (in Siege of Lothal) is (as far as I could tell) identical to the one he flew on the Death Star defense when it was supposed to be an advanced prototype fighter. And the fact that it was never used again I assumed meant that Vader gave it the thumbs down after testing it.

I'm not complaining though. Just saying it's kind of messing with my head-canon time line here.
    But that's just me.
    Development of military systems generally takes a very long time in periods of peace. And prior to ANH, the Rebels weren't considered a major threat. The dissolution of the Senate and their victory at Yavin gave the Rebellion some major legs.

• Options
    Its always been my fanon that the Dissolution of the Senate and the deployment of the first Death Star was linked. That once it worked the Emperor went "Now I have a weapon that will smash any uprising against me! I don't need to hide behind the senate formalities anymore."

Tells the senate to go bye bye. Has Tarkin blow up Alderan as a example of his new found power.

Learns that its always the little things that trip you up at Yavin.

Full blown rebellion across the galaxy follows as people may not like the Senate but opinion polls show that they though their senator was a pretty okay guy and they don't like being threatened with planetary destruction.

Emperor "daaaamn didn't see that coming".

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Its always been my fanon that the Dissolution of the Senate and the deployment of the first Death Star was linked. That once it worked the Emperor went "Now I have a weapon that will smash any uprising against me! I don't need to hide behind the senate formalities anymore."

Tells the senate to go bye bye. Has Tarkin blow up Alderan as a example of his new found power.

Learns that its always the little things that trip you up at Yavin.

Full blown rebellion across the galaxy follows as people may not like the Senate but opinion polls show that they though their senator was a pretty okay guy and they don't like being threatened with planetary destruction.

Emperor "daaaamn didn't see that coming".

ANH itself directly makes that connection.

As for Vader's fighter, I assume that it was like the F-22. An amazing fighter that cost way too much. The Empire says "Eh, we're not spending $Naboo on new fighters, not when we can get OK fighters for a tenth as much." But Vader was like "I like this fighter. It is now mine. All of these prototypes now belong to me." Plus, Vader probably calibrates his fighter in his spare time for fun.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Plus, Vader probably calibrates his fighter in his spare time for fun.
    Just like he prefers lightsabers to blasters for their reach and flexibility.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Thirith wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Plus, Vader probably calibrates his fighter in his spare time for fun.
    Just like he prefers lightsabers to blasters for their reach and flexibility.

Vader has reach. Aphra has flexibility.
    Vader_and_aphra_stare.jpg
    Doctor Aphra has very quickly become my absolute favorite EU character bar none.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Home for the holidays, caught all of the season 2 episodes so far except "Always Two There Are" on my parents' on-demand.

They really are going all-out to make this The Clone Wars, Part 2, aren't they? I'm loving everything with Rex.

Having just played through Dragon Age: Inquisition, I did a double-take when Freddie Prinze Jr. inflected a little Iron Bull into Kanan's lines.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    The details that make this fit so perfectly with Star Wars are amazing. Take that new commander as an example, the dude looks like the kind of old school British actor that would have been in the 1977 movie.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The newest episode was so great!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Home for the holidays, caught all of the season 2 episodes so far except "Always Two There Are" on my parents' on-demand.

They really are going all-out to make this The Clone Wars, Part 2, aren't they? I'm loving everything with Rex.

Having just played through Dragon Age: Inquisition, I did a double-take when Freddie Prinze Jr. inflected a little Iron Bull into Kanan's lines.

Always two there are is absolutely one you should make sure you watch. I thought it was fantastic!

LostNinja on
  • Options
    The newest episode was so great!

Chopper is quickly becoming my favorite character in Star Wars. Not just Rebels, a position he already occupies quite comfortably, but the entirety of Star Wars.
    When Ezra was BSing up a storm about a huge firefight, and Chop just pops up the hologram of Ezra zapping them both...

The only thing he needs is an actual voice so we wouldn't have had to wait for Ezra to translate "Wait for it...".