As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Rebels] Season 4: May the Fourth Be With Uth

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    It's a fantasy. Don't shackle it with the realism that the forces of good are outclassed by the compentency and power of real evil.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Trey NeverTrey Never Registered User regular
    Luke was way to competent. He had what, a week to a month of training and could suddenly take on Vader, who singlehandly killed dozens of Jedi who were far more experienced than Luke?

Um, no he couldn't. Vader toys with him throughout the Empire duel, uses one arm before deciding to get serious and cutting Luke's hand off. Luke disarms Vader in ROTJ after 3 years of training, but Vader was trying to tempt Luke to the dark side, not defeat him.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2016
    Luke was way to competent. He had what, a week to a month of training and could suddenly take on Vader, who singlehandly killed dozens of Jedi who were far more experienced than Luke?

He at least had training though, Obi and Yoda both taught him. There is three years between when Obi first started teaching him the basics of using a lightsaber, and episode 5, where Luke gets beat up by Vader pretty badly. Then another four between 5 and 6. Not to mention Vader holding back since he was his son, and wanting to convert him, not kill him.

3+ years into his training, and Luke was still having troubles using the force to move rocks.

Rey sees someone use the force once, and instantly copies them perfectly. Picks up a lightsaber for the first time, and wrecks someone who had destroyed the new jedi order (even if he was wounded). Finn did the same thing with the lightsaber, to a degree.

I don't have a problem with Rey being the heroine, or being strong in the force. She just got there with no effort or time on her part and against previous canon. Its a problem with the movie in general, where everything is just presented as "this is the villain, and this is the hero, deal with it.", without actually making it feel like either should actually be true.

Morkath on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, are you describing TFA, or ANH?

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    There is three years between when Obi first started teaching him the basics of using a lightsaber, and episode 5, where Luke gets beat up by Vader pretty badly. Then another four between 5 and 6.

huh? I always thought the movies were a year apart.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    With the unmarked TFA spoiler up page, it might be time to move this over to the actual Star Wars thread. Rebels hasn't even been mentioned for a page.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2016
    There is three years between when Obi first started teaching him the basics of using a lightsaber, and episode 5, where Luke gets beat up by Vader pretty badly. Then another four between 5 and 6.

huh? I always thought the movies were a year apart.

Oh you are right, I mangled that badly. It's three years between 4 and 5, then one more between 5 and 6, for 4 total.

Yavin -> 3yrs -> Hoth -> 1 yr -> Endor

Morkath on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    It's a fantasy. Don't shackle it with the realism that the forces of good are outclassed by the compentency and power of real evil.

That's what good fantasy, or fiction, does. It can't be too easy for the heroes to win or it drains the tension and gets boring.The bad guys outclassing the good guys is a tradition because it works. It needs to be well written, however.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    The TFA stuff should be in that thread. Let's keep this in the realm of Rebels, the Disney cartoon.

• Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Hey guys, so I've recently started watching this show. I really really like it.

They have done an amazing job with easter eggs. I'm in season 2 episode 14 I think. Phoenix squadron has a plan to capture an imperial carrier. They need Hara's dad's help.

Anyways I recognized the carrier immediately from the EU. I knew the ship's name and the book it's from right away.

It's from Truce at Bakura . It's the Flurry.

I whipped out my old old old guide to ships and vehicles to check. Sure enough I'm right.

I'm bragging about it to my wife and not getting the reaction I want. I'm pretty awesome though right?

Part of me is mad they are reusing things from the EU. But another part is so happy to see things like this that only hardcore fans would recognize. It's nice to see it get screen time.

What other easter eggs should I watch out for?

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »
    Hey guys, so I've recently started watching this show. I really really like it.

They have done an amazing job with easter eggs. I'm in season 2 episode 14 I think. Phoenix squadron has a plan to capture an imperial carrier. They need Hara's dad's help.

Anyways I recognized the carrier immediately from the EU. I knew the ship's name and the book it's from right away.

It's from Truce at Bakura . It's the Flurry.

I whipped out my old old old guide to ships and vehicles to check. Sure enough I'm right.

I'm bragging about it to my wife and not getting the reaction I want. I'm pretty awesome though right?

Part of me is mad they are reusing things from the EU. But another part is so happy to see things like this that only hardcore fans would recognize. It's nice to see it get screen time.

If you played KOTOR 2, there's a very interesting name drop at the end of season 2. It doesn't seem to match up especially well but that could be any number of things.

• Options

Think about it this way, with the EU pretty much axed, Rebels including these things is the only way they really are able to continue in the canon universe.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I'm not sure if this even true. The thing is, Star Wars films and TV series in general have huge gaps when it comes to sensible ship roles in vaguely-modern naval doctrine. Having "sexy" blockade runners and giant cruisers does not a naval force make.

If you played any LucasArts space combat simulation from the last +20 years, you'd recognize the Immobilizer 418-class interdiction cruiser, because they were pretty damn important (basically ending the whole "escape to hyperspace" plot point). They've appeared in Rebels too (or at least a very similar design doing the same role has).

I'm not sure if only "hardcore" fans would recognize the ship though. Personally, I'd rather have them create a new design for an Interdiction ship as oppose to taking something from Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy and TIE Fighter. but that's just me.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

I'm not sure if this even true. The thing is, Star Wars films and TV series in general have huge gaps when it comes to sensible ship roles in vaguely-modern naval doctrine. Having "sexy" blockade runners and giant cruisers does not a naval force make.

If you played any LucasArts space combat simulation from the last +20 years, you'd recognize the Immobilizer 418-class interdiction cruiser, because they were pretty damn important (basically ending the whole "escape to hyperspace" plot point). They've appeared in Rebels too (or at least a very similar design doing the same role has).

I'm not sure if only "hardcore" fans would recognize the ship though. Personally, I'd rather have them create a new design for an Interdiction ship as oppose to taking something from Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy and TIE Fighter. but that's just me.

I'd say it's a fair bet that the ship wouldn't be recognized by people who weren't big Star Wars fans, seeing as how (outside of RPG source books or ship guides) it only appeared in one novel, and that one (Truce at Bakura) tends to be overlooked by much of the rest of the EU. The Flurry (or a Quasar class light cruiser of any other name) never (to the best of my knowledge) showed up in a video game, and was destroyed at the end of the novel that introduced it. Beyond that, outside of a few off hand mentions, the space dinosaurs with their life energy powered star fighters never show up again.
    Compare it to the Interdictor which, once it was introduced, became a mainstay of the Imperial fleet in the old EU. They were used in pretty much any media that Star Wars existed in outside of the original movies; games, novels, comics.

On the other hand, recognizing a light carrier as a necessary role in transporting fighters around when a Star Destroyer wasn't available, yeah I'd guess most people who watch Star Wars could connect those dots.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, the Flurry's class of ships was much more obscure. That is arguably a design that only "hardcore" fans would recognize--they appeared in one book, or very few, and a handful of ship-centric games like Star Wars Rebellion.

Imperial interdiction ships, on the other hand, are probably the best known capital ships that weren't in the actual films--they're in a lot of different books, and a lot of different games. The fighter equivalent from the same period would probably be the TIE Defender--an EU design (visually originating, like the interdiction ships, in TIE Fighter) that's among the best known. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if those appeared in Rebels too, as some elite mooks who get shot down.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Flurry's class of ships was much more obscure. That is arguably a design that only "hardcore" fans would recognize--they appeared in one book, or very few, and a handful of ship-centric games like Star Wars Rebellion.

Imperial interdiction ships, on the other hand, are probably the best known capital ships that weren't in the actual films--they're in a lot of different books, and a lot of different games. The fighter equivalent from the same period would probably be the TIE Defender--an EU design (visually originating, like the interdiction ships, in TIE Fighter) that's among the best known. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if those appeared in Rebels too, as some elite mooks who get shot down.

I'm sure they'll kill half a dozen female A-Wing pilots on their way down though.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    Those poor a wing pilots.

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Those poor a wing pilots.

Now immortalized in lego form!

25016688156_0a77116509_b.jpg

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Life expectancy: 5s."

• Options
    RedTide wrote: »

I'm sure they'll kill half a dozen female A-Wing pilots on their way down though.

I never saw that specific episode in Rebels (as with Clone Wars, the show personally has not clicked with me, but that's neither here nor there), but I do find it hilarious that this isn't the first time I've heard that exact jab made.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Well they do have the unfortunate name of Phoenix Squadron...can't be rising out of the ashes without getting smoked first.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    New Rebels clip for Season 3.

https://youtu.be/KwLD5XbvY5Q

Looks like a decent time jump.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I'll definitely be happy if Rebels is going to finally turn things a bit more into the Ezra and Sabine show

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    No more stun setting for Ezra.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Apparently they released Ahsoka's post CW season 5 backstory. Lost the link for now, but apparently it involved
    her having a Han Solo-like boyfriend in the under levels of Coruscant.

I call bullshit. Ahsoka wouldn't cheat on Ventress like that

Edit: Link http://gizmo.do/pk4kqgW

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Apparently they released Ahsoka's post CW season 5 backstory. Lost the link for now, but apparently it involved
    her having a Han Solo-like boyfriend in the under levels of Coruscant.

I call bullshit. Ahsoka wouldn't cheat on Ventress like that

Edit: Link http://gizmo.do/pk4kqgW
    "Ashoka, how'd you survive order 66?"
    "I mauled an entire battalion of stormtroopers with a forest made of wolves"

Ah, but for the canon that almost was.

• Options
    Here is the actual panel from the article.

https://youtu.be/lS4sclln5J4

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    From the Star Wars Rebels office...

p49p48-duel-board2-1024x577.jpg

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I really could use the new season, like yesterday.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Did the creators ever clarify what happened to Ashoka in last season's finale?
    It seemed pretty obvious to me that she had survived the battle with Vader, but was walking back into the temple to contemplate everything after getting confirmation that Vader was Anakin, but the theory that she had died and that was some afterlife thing seemed to be pretty popular.

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »
    It seemed pretty obvious to me that she had survived the battle with Vader, but was walking back into the temple to contemplate everything after getting confirmation that Vader was Anakin, but the theory that she had died and that was some afterlife thing seemed to be pretty popular.

On this...
    They are basically playing it coy. But he did say originally that was to be the end of her story. She may return, how we don't know.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I like
    Survived the battle with Vader and tricked him into thinking she'd died, but decided that there was no beating him and the Emperor, and gave into despair. She then spends the next ??? years on Malachor learning the dark side of the Force, intending to use it to defeat Vader and Palpatine and then to end herself to break the cycle.

And hopefully shows up years later as an old woman, feeling pretty silly about how her plan worked out.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I like
    Survived the battle with Vader and tricked him into thinking she'd died, but decided that there was no beating him and the Emperor, and gave into despair. She then spends the next ??? years on Malachor learning the dark side of the Force, intending to use it to defeat Vader and Palpatine and then to end herself to break the cycle.

And hopefully shows up years later as an old woman, feeling pretty silly about how her plan worked out. who is now a Sith bent on conquering the galaxy herself.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    It's pretty clear.
    Her story is over, she's dead. There's no reason for her to have survived other than being Filoni's pet.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    It's pretty clear.
    Her story is over, she's dead. There's no reason for her to have survived other than being Filoni's pet.
    It's not that clear

At least not in the way you say it is,
    We clearly saw her walking into the temple after the fight

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    It's pretty clear.
    It's not that clear

Not what I saw.
    I saw a ghost vanish into the darkness, the last gasp of a bygone age destroyed by the Sith.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    The interview with the "wolves" included a quote from the show's creator saying he doesn't think her story is over. Her fate was left ambiguous for a reason, and I still think her ultimate role will end up being the influence that pushes Vader from outright villain to the conflicted father we see in Jedi.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    It's pretty clear.
    It's not that clear

Not what I saw.
    I saw a ghost vanish into the darkness, the last gasp of a bygone age destroyed by the Sith.

You have a very broad definition of "clear" then...

LostNinja on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    It's pretty clear.
    It's not that clear

Not what I saw.

You have a very broad definition of "clear" them...
    I mean, I get the fun of a good nerd theory, but I am also genre savvy enough to realize what it means when there is an ambiguous "death" where you don't actually see the death or the body.

Ahsoka is as dead as The Master is on any given episode of Doctor Who that ends with him/her dead.

• Options
    We need to get a cartoon series about Ahsoka's adventures between Clone Wars and Rebels.