As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

About Game of the Year polls: Looking for volunteers

124»

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I've found one game that needs to be on the list.

Heavy Bullets (PC)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/297120/

• Options
    TzyrTzyr Registered User regular
    Another game for the list:

A Bird Story (PC, Mac and Linux, released 2014-11-07, steam)
    - From the creator of To The Moon

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Cheers for all the work guys, I'll update the list tomorrow before the nomination thread.

When does MCC usually post it?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Cheers for all the work guys, I'll update the list tomorrow before the nomination thread.

In January.

Also, thanks for taking care of this, guys - I usually did the requisite "go through the Wikipedia page and pick out releases" before the base list was posted over here, and that was always a giant pain in the ass.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

In January.

Also, thanks for taking care of this, guys - I usually did the requisite "go through the Wikipedia page and pick out releases" before the base list was posted over here, and that was always a giant pain in the ass.

Next year we should probably split that duty up between multiple people. ~100-150 per person isn't too bad, but it took me like four hours to do 437 :D

Anywho, I'd be cool with doing the nominations starting in January, and waiting a few weeks before doing the poll itself, so people have time to play games they may have missed over the year. :D

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    hmm Wolf Among Us should probably be on the list since the complete thing is now done (assume we didn't vote on half of it last year)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    hmm Wolf Among Us should probably be on the list since the complete thing is now done (assume we didn't vote on half of it last year)

Yeah, like I said, that isn't a list of "everything here needs to go" it's a list of stuff that may have reasons for looking at whether it should say. In this case, Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us are episodic releases that saw parts released in 2013. Since they're both finished in 2014, I'd put them on the 2014 list, but I still figured I should mention them since I mentioned other episodic releases.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Got another nomination -
    Dungeon of the Endless (PC)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    I certainly don't think we need to go through the headache of setting up the voting and counting for it, but since this year marks the end of another console generation, it might be interesting to invite people to write their "top-10-of-the-generation" lists alongside their actual GOTY voting reports in the thread this time around. Just throwing that out there for the fun of browsing that thread.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Darlan wrote: »
    I certainly don't think we need to go through the headache of setting up the voting and counting for it, but since this year marks the end of another console generation, it might be interesting to invite people to write their "top-10-of-the-generation" lists alongside their actual GOTY voting reports in the thread this time around. Just throwing that out there for the fun of browsing that thread.

Actually, we did a "best game of all time" thing back in 2004 (Half-Life 2 beat out Ocarina of Time by 2 votes), so it wouldn't be outside the norm; though I'd suggest doing it at a different time than GotY.

The issue with doing a "game of the generation" is where do you define the generations? Because games are still coming out for the old consoles pretty regularly. And where does the PC fit in?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Actually, we did a "best game of all time" thing back in 2004 (Half-Life 2 beat out Ocarina of Time by 2 votes), so it wouldn't be outside the norm; though I'd suggest doing it at a different time than GotY.

The issue with doing a "game of the generation" is where do you define the generations? Because games are still coming out for the old consoles pretty regularly. And where does the PC fit in?
    It's messy, but it seems to me that the only way to do it without going crazy with caveats and addendums is "every game released since the launch of the Xbox 360, on any platform, until the end of 2014, unless its console versions are PS4/Xbone only." Or we could just copy and paste the nominations from the last few years and call it good. I don't think any sane person will mind if Dead Rising 3 or Persona 4 and other late last gen stuff makes it on the list.

Edit: But all of that said, I don't really want to push the work of setting that up on someone. Ir could just be fun to browse a thread with write ins.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    EDIT: Wrong thread, whoops

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know and this is probably because we're in the middle of a console transition, but this is going to be the easiest GotY list I've done in a while.

Now next year...next year is going to be killer.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    You know and this is probably because we're in the middle of a console transition, but this is going to be the easiest GotY list I've done in a while.

Now next year...next year is going to be killer.
    Yeah...we already know about the Witcher 3, Zelda U, Bloodborne, Pillars of Eternity, MGSV, The Dark Knight, Xenosaga and there's a fair chance we'll see Uncharted and Fallout 4...yeesh. Even Valve is overdue for a proper, non-mod-based new release.

Darlan on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Here's an idea:

Include every game that was released this year, standalone, in any region. Mark the region.

Then, either require each voter to indicate their voting region, and restrict their voting selections to things marked ALL or REGION, or do it on the honor system and ask people to only vote for things in their region.

This way, if something comes out in NA in 2013 and EU in 2014, sure, it'll show up in the polls both years, but it can't possibly dominate two years running. You can further break down results by region if you want to see more local flavor on top of the global rankings.

Everyone gets to vote on every game as it applies to them.

May take a bit more dev work, but I think it'd be the best approach for everyone who wants to participate.

Or we could just, y'know, only include games that have been released in all regions this year.

Or, you know, trust the forums to vote for the game that you "can't" vote for. The cream rises.

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    @Maz- How about you write up a list of games you feel should be included. Same rules as the rest of the games, specifically that it has not been on the list previously. Unfortunately I know this will exclude some games but I think it is the best compromise. And you can even mark which region it came out in. I think that is a fair compromise since other people are volunteering their free time to do this and if they do not want to spend the time on it that is understandable. No reason you cannot do it and post it though. I would be very interested in seeing that list.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    @Maz- How about you write up a list of games you feel should be included. Same rules as the rest of the games, specifically that it has not been on the list previously. Unfortunately I know this will exclude some games but I think it is the best compromise. And you can even mark which region it came out in. I think that is a fair compromise since other people are volunteering their free time to do this and if they do not want to spend the time on it that is understandable. No reason you cannot do it and post it though. I would be very interested in seeing that list.

Going off Mr_Grinch's list, these games are 2014 releases in the US, but 2015 releases in Europe and Australia:

Big Hero 6 - 3DS
    Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - Wii U (although since it's being released on January 2nd and the voting probably won't begin till after that, I feel like it's safe to include it)
    Harvest Moon 3D: The Lost Valley - 3DS
    Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- - PS3 & PS4 (This one isn't even announced for PAL regions yet, I'm not sure it will even come out here. Maybe someone more familiar with the game can comment)

This is all I could find from a fairly brief search. Compared to previous years, this list is thankfully quite small. If anyone has any other titles to add, that'd be great.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Another game from this year I'm not seeing on the list a few pages back:

Shadowrun: Dragonfall (PC).

It's kind of a weird edge case in that it started as a piece of DLC and then was made into a standalone release a bit later, but it's bigger and much better than the initial campaign and I personally think it belongs in the vote.

Darlan on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    shadowrun uses stand alone modules in the same engine and dragonfall should be on the list

• Options
    I'll apply all these changes shortly.

Happy to do the nomination post in the new year unless anyone else wants to step in.

I'll be adopting MSS's historical rules if I do it (so Captain Toad'll be included even though it's not technically out in the UK).

• Options
    Looks like NeoScavenger just officially launched/exited early access, that one belongs on the list.

• Options
    So we starting the nom (nom nom) period next month?

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Is there still time for adding games to the list? I just came across

80 Days (iOS, Android)

It's ranking highly on a bunch of other GOTY lists, so it'd be a shame if we missed it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    So we starting the nom (nom nom) period next month?
    Yeah, I'd say start the nomination thread (or I guess just use this thread) on 1/1 and run it for a few weeks, and then take a bit of time to finalize the list, with voting to start around 2/1.

• Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hi!

I would like to nominate "Joylancer", is this eligible? I'm not sure if it counts as released or beta (it's only being sold through early access, but i think the game part might be done).

• Options
    I'll get on the nomination thread shortly and add everything mentioned up to now and remove all those that have been suggested for removal. I'll start a new thread for it.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I'll understand if it's left out, but I feel that Master Chief Collection should stay on the list. It's got a fair amount of new content including the Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer which is brand new.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    I'll understand if it's left out, but I feel that Master Chief Collection should stay on the list. It's got a fair amount of new content including the Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer which is brand new.

I really don't agree with this at all, otherwise the remasters of other games should go on as well (which I also don't agree with).

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

I really don't agree with this at all, otherwise the remasters of other games should go on as well (which I also don't agree with).
    On the other hand, if the new multiplayer was a stand-alone release it would qualify, no question. Master Chief Collection is my GotY and "Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer from Master Chief Collection" would rank high on my list as well.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I suppose we don't have a solid date for when voting begins.

Regardless I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. In case it hasn't already been mentioned, I would like to nominate P.T., and will campaign for it when the time comes.

• Options

On the other hand, if the new multiplayer was a stand-alone release it would qualify, no question. Master Chief Collection is my GotY and "Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer from Master Chief Collection" would rank high on my list as well.
    What new multiplayer does Halo 2 have? Like, new maps or something?

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015

What new multiplayer does Halo 2 have? Like, new maps or something?

It has a handful of new maps iirc, but honestly is still a remake of an older games MP and is not significantly different than DLC. Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty released DLC that changed the game more, should they go back up again this year?

I really strongly disagree on all possible fronts allowing remakes/remasters of old games onto the list.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Thread going up today given its now 2015... Just need to shake off the hangover :-)

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular