Options

The Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth - Go play in the basement, little one.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I think the funniest run I've ever had was one where I had rubber cement, monstro's lung and a ton on range up pills. Barfing on a dude and they all just bounce around the room in every direction

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I really wish Angel rooms spawned differently. Right now you tell Satan to fuck off, while thematically cool is generally a bad play. Then you have a CHANCE at an Angel room, and they commonly just have some eternal or spirit hearts. When you do get an item, it's always one so you don't have the chance for extras like Devil rooms. Yes, Angels offer some crazy stuff like Godhead and so forth, but Devils on average are better.

It'd be more interesting if evil/faith were real stats that determined which room you got, and maybe certain activities influence those stats (donating to bums vs. blowing them up).

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Yes, Angels offer some crazy stuff like Godhead and so forth, but Devils on average are better.

On the other hand, Angel room loot is free loot.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Dys wrote: »
    I can't not use Azazel.

Every time I try another character I just cannot deal with not having flight and the lazer.

Azazel is really great, buuut

The lack of red hearts and the short range of his laser kind of makes him more of a glass cannon than Judas.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I just faced Mega Satan for the first time on a Judas run.

I give you: my live updates from IRC.
    [04:10] <%puppy> OH SHIT
    [04:10] <%puppy> I GOT BOTH KEY PIECES
    [04:11] <%puppy> IF I BEAT THE LAMB I CAN ACCESS MEGA SATAN
    [04:20] <%puppy> HIOLY FUCK
    [04:20] <%puppy> I FUCKING DID IT
    [04:20] <%puppy> EKLJHFKLAFKLJADSF
    [04:20] <%puppy> I WAS AT ONE HEART
    [04:20] <%puppy> FOR THE ENTIRE LAST PHASE
    [04:20] <%puppy> BUT I
    [04:20] <%puppy> FUCKING
    [04:20] <%puppy> DID IT
    [04:21] <%puppy> I'VE NEVER EVEN WATCHED A VIDEO OF THE FIGHT

(I didn't realize you didn't actually have to beat the Lamb.)

(Also I gimped myself slightly - being as I was Judas, I hung onto Book of Belial all game (even though the game tried to give me the Bible literally like seven times - I think partly because I picked up the Rosary super early (which helped with angel rooms), and I used it to kill Satan and seeing the gate open I immediately ran in without taking a couple rooms to let it recharge.)

BUT SERIOUSLY I WAS SO HYPE. I had two Pretty Flies that did work for me in the last phase with the bullet hell, which is usually a weakness of mine but fortunately, I had some crazy good tears - Money is Power with 99 coins, Lump of Coal, plus Rubber Cement - plus really good shot speed and range, so they were flying around bouncing around, staying on screen for a while to pick up extra damage from Coal, so I could just hold down shoot while I focused on dodging knowing my tears would be ricocheting and hitting him multiple times for huge damage.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Grats, dude!

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote: »

(I didn't realize you didn't actually have to beat the Lamb.)

First off, well done, Face-man, sounds like you had an awesome/tense/awesome run. Second off, while you didn't technically have to beat the Lamb, you're prolly better off for having done it. My first time getting to Mega-Satan was with Laz, it was one of those truly blessed runs, where everything thing falls your way, and you're just a screaming powerhouse by the end, yeah? Well, this was also my first time getting to the chest with 'im; so...beat Mega-S, credits roll and...it takes me for friggen' ever to get another run where i can even get to the Chest with Laz, let alone have things running well enough to take out BlueBoy. So, just for unlocking stuff/achievements, tag BB or the Lamb first, then go gank Mega-Satan.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I can't play characters that aren't Isaac anymore, the D6 is just too damn good. And on normal difficulty, where items actually spawn on the Vita version, I can't not be a complete powerhouse by the time I get to mom, and a boss rush is pretty much inevitable. By the time I hit the boss rush, I have a choice of 4 items, and one of them is bound to be good; if they all suck, I can reroll all four. There's a massive confluence of bad luck conspiring to bring your run down if you can't find something amazing in a selection of 8 items, plus the free one at the end for beating the rush.

If you get to the Chest with the D6, it's basically the same deal, except you can keep all four items. Open all the chests and reroll anything you don't like, and if it's still not amazing you can come back after the D6 charges and do it some more.

Isaac is the best character.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    I heard that you get something for killing Mom under 20 minutes.

Huh. A new room with four prizes. Nice. Just gonna grab this one first and the-oh. Oh. This is the reward.
    Was pretty geared out so everything died and hearts were all over the floor.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I think my next focus is going to be unlocking the D6.

I haven't done many runs with Blue Baby, and I only had one that got anywhere so we'll see.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I can't play characters that aren't Isaac anymore, the D6 is just too damn good. And on normal difficulty, where items actually spawn on the Vita version, I can't not be a complete powerhouse by the time I get to mom, and a boss rush is pretty much inevitable. By the time I hit the boss rush, I have a choice of 4 items, and one of them is bound to be good; if they all suck, I can reroll all four. There's a massive confluence of bad luck conspiring to bring your run down if you can't find something amazing in a selection of 8 items, plus the free one at the end for beating the rush.

If you get to the Chest with the D6, it's basically the same deal, except you can keep all four items. Open all the chests and reroll anything you don't like, and if it's still not amazing you can come back after the D6 charges and do it some more.

Isaac is the best character.

I like Judas way more because the starting damage is just sooooo nice.

And then I found out he's actually overpowered anyway because Book of Belial gives you guaranteed devil/angel deals on every floor from Basement II - Womb II! (Though it can disappear when you leave it, unlike with Goat Head.) So yeah, Judas is the most powerful because getting twice as many devil deals is way better than rerolling half the devil deals, and you don't even need to pick up good items for like three floors because you start so strong.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Eh, starting with one heart means you are going to need to pass on deals, or be completely unable to take some of them unless you get HP up. Meanwhile all Isaac needs to do is not suck and he gets just as many rooms, but has the HP to actually take some devil deals if he wants.

Angel rooms are okay but only if they actually have items, and I've found they contain hearts more often than not.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Early bosses tend to drop HP Up items, so it's not that big of a deal for Judas in most cases. Also if you can get some tinted rocks you can just pawn of your sole starting heart.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Yeah, but getting HP up drops are hardly more of a sure thing than playing well enough to get a devil room and not needing HP up drops.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    As a side note, how do I increase my chances of angel rooms? I don't think I've gotten one since beating The Lamb.

Literally take zero deals with the devil. The moment you trade a heart container for an item you can no longer get angel rooms in that run. Taking devil deal items from curse rooms is fine, though, because you're not actually trading health for it (goat head from a curse room/golden chest early is the best way to get deals with the angel, because you get the most chances at spawning them).

not correct

faith up can get you angel deals after that

• Options
    I really wish Angel rooms spawned differently. Right now you tell Satan to fuck off, while thematically cool is generally a bad play. Then you have a CHANCE at an Angel room, and they commonly just have some eternal or spirit hearts. When you do get an item, it's always one so you don't have the chance for extras like Devil rooms. Yes, Angels offer some crazy stuff like Godhead and so forth, but Devils on average are better.

It'd be more interesting if evil/faith were real stats that determined which room you got, and maybe certain activities influence those stats (donating to bums vs. blowing them up).

they are

they just are kinda shit right now

and yes angel rooms need to not be garbage

• Options
    I just used Suicide King for the very first time! I picked it up in Basement I and kept it around because all the other consumables I found I needed right away. During the Cathedral, I picked up Judas' Shadow... and so I popped Suicide King in The Chest.

Cue a ton of gold chests and regular chests full of items appearing around me, while I have the D6.

I became a god of destruction, smiting abominations with impunity and delight.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Just fought and beat Mega Satan for the first time with no damage taken.
    Goddamnit I just realized I should have saved the seed.
    As Eden, started out with Monstro's Lung. By the second floor I also had Ipecac.
    It was insane. Picked up a few damage ups that I'm not entirely sure mattered, and fear and freezing effect which I know didn't matter since nothing susceptible to them ever survived a volley.
    Had max red hearts at the end.
    The surprise star was Infested Baby, who with all the damage my base shot did could take 30-50% of most bosses health out with a single fly. And I hadn't even managed to find a Hive Mind. I killed Isaac with flies only. Took 13.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Satan loves you. He only wants to help.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Early bosses tend to drop HP Up items, so it's not that big of a deal for Judas in most cases. Also if you can get some tinted rocks you can just pawn of your sole starting heart.

To add to this, Beggars pretty regularly dole out HP Up items.

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

they are

they just are kinda shit right now

and yes angel rooms need to not be garbage
    There's no faith stat in the game. They've already datamined the game, and faith/evil up don't have any consistent meaning. Rosary Bead does increase your chances at an angel room, but it's not connected to any hidden faith stat.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Found a potential glitch maybe? In the room that looks like a purple void with a black heart in the middle. Using the slot machine item in there gives you another black heart half the time.

e:Screenshot_2015-01-06-04-32-15-1_zpslooqdhq8.png

Kaplar on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Found a potential glitch maybe? In the room that looks like a purple void with a black heart in the middle. Using the slot machine item in there gives you another black heart half the time.

If you spawn hearts in the hidden room with the white heart, you'll get more white hearts too.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    BYToady wrote: »
    Kaplar wrote: »

If you spawn hearts in the hidden room with the white heart, you'll get more white hearts too.

Oh. Neat! I doubled up a few times and had 99 coins. The room next to me was full of spikes and garbage pills.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I got the Petrified Poop really early in a run, which was exciting because that meant tons of money incoming, I thought. But then poop piles didn't drop anything for me over the course of the game. Did something change in how this works? Or is there an item interaction that could cause this?

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Did you get any luck down pills?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I got a Blank Card on my first treasure room once and then over the course of the entire run all I ever saw was two The Magician.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    seed - SV21RN0(O?)F
    As Eden, you start with the Pony, Quad Shot, and 2 damage.
    First floor (I think) has Rubber cement. On the 2nd if you devil deal you can get a goat, and there's a whip worm. Keep going and you'll get Daddy's Love, Firemind, and on the last floor of Necropolis, Mom's Knife.
    Normally I pass on Mom's knife, but with burning and quadshot, it's much easier to use and does lots of damage. Still probably made things harder than going without, especially in the dark room, but lots of fun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I'm not sure there is a worse feeling than having your health bar filled with empty red heart containers and having a pair of spirit hearts on the ground in front of you.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Yeah I try to limit myself to six red hearts unless I have an ace up my sleeve like a Full Health pill.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    seed - SV21RN0(O?)F
    As Eden, you start with the Pony, Quad Shot, and 2 damage.
    First floor (I think) has Rubber cement. On the 2nd if you devil deal you can get a goat, and there's a whip worm. Keep going and you'll get Daddy's Love, Firemind, and on the last floor of Necropolis, Mom's Knife.
    Normally I pass on Mom's knife, but with burning and quadshot, it's much easier to use and does lots of damage. Still probably made things harder than going without, especially in the dark room, but lots of fun.

bath1_zps47685803-1_zps5e1ce3cb.jpg

• Options
    The damage is huge, but I find it hard to use effectively. It ends up getting me killed more often than not due to its tiny hitbox and tendency to pass right through an enemy and almost kill it. Brimstone and Monstro's Lung both work better for me. And for whatever reason my thumb gets tireder charging it than the other things.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mom's Knife means that if I lose that run, it's my own damn fault.

I've only found Brimstone maybe five times in the hundreds of runs I've done now.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    The damage is huge, but I find it hard to use effectively. It ends up getting me killed more often than not due to its tiny hitbox and tendency to pass right through an enemy and almost kill it. Brimstone and Monstro's Lung both work better for me. And for whatever reason my thumb gets tireder charging it than the other things.

I haven't unlocked Mom's Knife in this game yet, but I would expect that you can still fire it diagonally. (Thumb only getting tired implying you only press one fire button instead of two)
    And even if you don't do that, you can still swivel it around yourself and hug people to death without firing it.

• Options
    You can fire it diagonally.

His thumb may be tired because he's using the right stick to fire instead of buttons, which is what I do.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The stick is great for mom's knife in the specific case of firing diagonally. It's a pain to do it with the buttons, but much easier with the stick. That said I generally use the buttons for regular stabbing.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    What's the best way to kill explodey enemies when you only have short range weapon?

broken image link
  • Options
    What's the best way to kill explodey enemies when you only have short range weapon?

Time their attacks as carefully as you can and strike shortly after they do.

Mullibooms are a problem. The only thing that works consistently for me is if there's a tight space, you can lead them towards it and drop a bomb at the entrance, and hopefully it goes off before they push it in where it will blow you up too.

• Options
    The key to Mom's Knife is to charge it so the knife's hang time while changing directions happens while over your target. That way, the hitbox is hitting the enemy for the most time, and dealing tons of damage in the process.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    discrider wrote: »

I haven't unlocked Mom's Knife in this game yet, but I would expect that you can still fire it diagonally. (Thumb only getting tired implying you only press one fire button instead of two)
    And even if you don't do that, you can still swivel it around yourself and hug people to death without firing it.

Wait what!?

steam_sig.png