As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Freedom Wars] - 1 million to life on Vita

RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
edited November 2014 in Games and Technology
zla9t3qx7lvf.png
Greetings, sinners!

Welcome to the Panopticon. We're glad you're with us. In exchange for all the comforts provided by the 'Con, you are expected to contribute to the Greater Good.

Here's what we have in store for you:
- Fight huge, biomechanical Abductors, massive war machines built for destruction.*
- Find and upgrade new weapons and items to help you become a better, more productive sinner!*
- Rescue citizens who have been captured against their will.*
- Earn entitlements that grant you extravagant privileges, such as the ability to sleep in a horizontal position!*
- Cooperate with fellow sinners online and adhoc to complete difficult missions.*
- Battle other sinners from rival panopticons to damage their GDP and raise your own!*
- Buy clothes and other aesthetic entitlements. You aren't going anywhere anytime soon, so you may as well look good.*
- GRAPPLING HOOKS (aka Thorns)*

*Failure to comply may result in an extended sentence.**
**Extended sentences may result in even further extended sentences.

Renzo on

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Grappling hooks make everything better. EVERYTHING.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I encourage people to post your Rap Sheet, even if you already did in the Vita thread. If you have multiple outfits and want to show them off, post multiple Rap Sheets!

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    This thread gets 200 years for excessive proselytizing.

edit:
    D8IZyEl.jpg

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    No Propaganda Bear in the opening of this thread? *100 years added to your sentence for insufficient respect for your betters. *

B1ZgOIqIAAAZHpT.jpg:large

sig.gif
    edited November 2014
    So. During my lunch break, I used the "new" information of using the thorn to revive peeps. It is wonderful. Especially since I'm kinda a cowardly type of fighter and prefer sniping (with a rocket launcher) from a distance. Now I can revive from a distance! It also feels a little quicker.

Lovely on
    sig.gif
    (god. I feel like I'm spamming. I'm sorry :( . )

According to the project manager (Nick) , the DLC for this week is out?

I started following Nick's twitter after I bitched to him about the Accesory voice editor being removed. ............... don't judge me.

sig.gif
    Word is that some of the DLC is free, while some of it is paid. Be careful what you click on!

I assume the laser assault rifle that you can get around code 5/6 isn't that efficient, but i like pew-pew-ing with it so much.

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I'm looking forward to playing this once I finish Dangan2.

The concept reminds me of the 2nd episode of Black Mirror.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    I assume the laser assault rifle that you can get around code 5/6 isn't that efficient, but i like pew-pew-ing with it so much.

Only the sniper rifle beats it for range.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm rocking a Sephiroth sword and the hardest-hitting rocket launcher I have.

I also have the flare knife so I can always be cutting. It's a little slower than using a light mêlée weapon but it's much more satisfying to have extra damage output when I need to hack away. I am one-shotting enemy sinners by using my run+square attack.

Also sticking with the combat thorn, because I play support or medic in every other game and for once I want to be an engine of destruction my own self.

Its not so much damage as CC. All the thorns are for support effects.

edited November 2014
    Only the citizen Support pack costs money. It's .99 and it has some citizens for manufacturing in it.

The other three are a combat item set, a healing item set and two weapons.

Seidkona on
    So.. nothing actually interesting?

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Donnicton on
    oh a bunch of new stuff. . . that wasn't there like 10 minutes ago.

If they think I'm going to pay anyone $1.49 for two weapons they deserve time added to their sentence.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    New Hairstyles!

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    New Hairstyles!
    I think one of the new hairstyles (not sure, I haven't done a comparison) is the bowl-haircut that Yu Narukami/protagonist has from Persona 4.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    New Hairstyles!
    I think one of the new hairstyles (not sure, I haven't done a comparison) is the bowl-haircut that Yu Narukami/protagonist has from Persona 4.

Incoming cosplay in 3, 2, 1...

Okay, that's a nice batch of DLC. New hairstyles, new color palette, new eyes, all free.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    New eyes and hair, but nothing I want to use. Oh well.

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Oooh, are we sharing our Rap Sheets?
    evQqFJr.png
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Its not so much damage as CC. All the thorns are for support effects.
    Yeah, you're mainly grabbing the thorns for the support effects (don't forget the 'Linking' effect which is attaching your thorn to someone else)

Binds (Red) can put down snare traps against other sinners or players and the quantity increases over time... I guess that can be useful in PvP? Or a trump card immobilize against Abductors/sinners. VERY handy! There's a no small number of times where I wish I had the Binds thorns to shut down an abductor for a short period of time. The link effect magnifies the drag down effect of another sinner, but I'm not sure if it's worth linking them or joining in on the drag party.

Healing (Green) is a short ranged big heal + status effect removal. The amount healed with the first charge increases with levels to be pretty much a full heal given HP doesn't increase much and only if you augment for it. Second charge is a handy healing tree that's very very fast. Linking someone else will gradually heal them. Handy for long ranged heals or if it's a little dangerous to chase them to heal them.

Defence (White) is probably my go-to thorns at the moment. First charge is a small PBAoE buff to defence. The duration increases with thorn levels but the defence buff is noticeable. You CAN survive the bellyflop attack from a boosted attack abductor if you're buffed up and have the rank 1 health augment and it significantly increases your time to live when being shot at by sinners. I haven't seen many people use this, and even the AI doesn't buff defence so I normally run it to be extra useful. The second charge I haven't figure out how to use properly. You're supposed to be able to shoot through it, but I haven't seen that yet. Linking someone increases their defence for the duration.

Also increasing levels to the thorns increases the range (minor) but at certain breakpoints, increases the gauge length which is VERY VERY important. You're going to be using the thorns like a mad man, especially if you're ressing people. Add Thorns Economy or Thorns Recovery and you'll be in a position where you don't need to worry about running out of Will'O energy when things get hairy.

Basically, all the thorns are useful IF the person uses them to the maximum effect. I want to see healing trees, links being tossed around. Defence buffs, abductors interrupted with a charged bind. Some of those abductors get really hard to drag down and even if you do, the time they're on the ground is so tiny initially like the Type-T and Type-S abductors. Binding them gives a good window to get some charged attacks in and blast off a part or two. For all the people running the Binds thorns online, I don't see a lot of 2nd charge binds being used.

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    edited November 2014
    Oh yeah. I'm home now. I can put up my newly updated sheet.

Meh_Card.jpg

And close up of my newly updated Accessory <3 .

B1o12D-CMAAtOSN.jpg:large

I love him so. I only wish he would love me back someday. Or, y'know, acknowledge me. *dramatic single tear*

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    qjhlwes7r02s.jpg

Yeah yeah, only Code 2, can't think of anything cool to say on there yet.

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    You people are going to make me start playing this before I'm done with other things.

Stop making me irresponsible!
    <3 but no seriously god, you are making it really hard not to start this up but I have -things- to do

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    edited November 2014
    I quite like how all of the weapons are distinct from each other. They fill different niches and none are a clear 'upgrade' or get obsoleted by a different weapon. Which makes sense. They're jsut weapon types and the strengths are determined by their rarity, modules and upgrades.

The EZ Katze is a great PDW. Good rate of fire, very big magazine size and deals decent amounts of damage. It's probably the best for shooting down missiles coming towards you as well as a general spray weapon. It's effective range is painful though. My best version of this weapon has Will'O on it, which makes armoured small abductors pop with just a small burst on them.
    The Pulsar looks like it's a direct upgrade to the EZ Katze, but that's false. Smaller magazine, slower rate of fire. Really fits the spot between a close combat weapon and a long ranged support weapon though. I think this is going to be my accessory's primary weapon for its versatility.
    Arisaka is a very nice shock weapon. The three round burst can put a lot of damage on and my current best example of this weapon is packing 750 power but it can be a little difficult to use in close quarters because you really have to make sure you've got them in the sights when you pull the trigger. This is probably my accessory's alternate skirmish weapon since it's probably a lot better at aiming than I am.

edit:
    I'm still lamenting the lack of the customised voice options for the accessories. I wanted a tsundere accessory dammit!

Takel on
    So guys. I made a Caliburn with carryable ammo up XL, autocannon warm up speed up XL, and accuracy up L. Obviously, these are really nice and on the totally wrong weapon.

Which of the two autocannon machine guns would benefit more? (The other stuff in the class doesn't get anything from accuracy up... though I'm tempted by the thought of a phalanx with that warm up XL, not that it needs more ammo)

Hey there have you heard about my Accessory friend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8LGobb8Glo

edited November 2014
    Oh god. Multiple mission chain in CODE 7.

What the fucking hell were they thinking with the third one. I mean, really. I finally have all the non-boss threats down. I think I can finally go to town on it to take its last 30% in the remaining 12 minutes.

It revives like 6 of the adds. What the fuck. What the fucking fuck. They are of course all over the place and promptly begin large-area attacks... everyone goes down. I'd already lost 4/5 lives to their crap, because they're all fucking small targets (so my only real option was flying spear assaults... which to be fair are quite effective on them but there's just so much AoE flying around that when I land it's a crapshoot)

On the plus side, I have a really, really nice rarity 7 hyuga for poking things. I'm just really pissed at that. I decided to bring my blaster in, not knowing about the tiny deadly adds (or I'd have brought a massive MG to just fill the air with hot lead from a safe distance).

It looks like it might be possible to prevent them coming out if I break the boss parts fast enough? Not entirely sure. Still, reviving them is just a completely dick move, since they're hard enough to handle 2-3 at a time but 6? Just a fucking slaughter.

So yeah... on CODE 7, on the third fight in a row (I mean, you'll KNOW when you're going in for this), be sure you can unload lots of damage really fast that won't miss small targets.

I do have a Nambu Mk 26 I could break out for this too... or at least put on my accessory, because unlike most fights the giant rocket launcher isn't going to hit squat in this one (but filling the sky with homing rockets...)

Polaritie on
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I have decided that I pretty much hate the spider abductors. The webbing lasts forever and the AI definitely isn't made to cope. I'm sure it'd be less horrible online but I'm not doing any of that just yet. Not til I figure my load out a bit better.

steam_sig.png
    I have decided that I pretty much hate the spider abductors. The webbing lasts forever and the AI definitely isn't made to cope. I'm sure it'd be less horrible online but I'm not doing any of that just yet. Not til I figure my load out a bit better.

Unless I need a really specific part, the first, first(1st) thing I do with a spider is remove the two web launchers from the top. They actually don't really have that much health so you can remove them pretty easily.

Do not, do not remove the rotating sensor cluster from the top of the spider. If you do, they go crazy and jump around significantly more frequently.

edited November 2014
    I get the feeling that for black colors they used the "turn off the colors" command or whatever - which would look fine on an LCD Vita since they have to do a dull faux-black, but the OLED Vita goes super overboard with the true blackening and makes my clothes look like the void of space.

Donnicton on
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I won't lie, I use rockets and occasionally if I shoot off the sensor array I'll just quit out. It isn't even worth bothering with once it starts that spinning crap.

steam_sig.png
    edited November 2014
    Nothing like seeing a full set of facilities cranking along...
    rJMLcTO.png
    Got a NICE Rarity 7 Hawkshadow that's in the workshop as well as a brand new Moonshadow spear (not great, but it'll do for now) which I'll be including for my anti-sinner loadout. Light melee and heavy melee are nice and all, but after getting juggled by a damn spear and trying out the charged attacks, yeah, I'm grabbing a spear for man to man combat.

And CODE 7!
    tmMd3YY.png

Did a bit of mucking around with my augment loadout for general abductor combat. Attack, Attack: Abductor, Defence, Thorn Recovery and Anti Howl. I'm considering moving Attack out and putting in Last Legs because the delay until you're forced to respawn is really really small at the higher levels so a few extra seconds can make a big difference. And after doing some focused farming, finally got the materials to make my Anti Howl to prevent those damn Type Ts from interrupting my heavy attacks. It only costs 1 point too! Grade 3 augments include an interesting one that increases the range? of your thorns and doesn't take any points so coming up with a spare slot for it will be interesting.

Thorn Recovery + Thorn Economy is absolutely nuts though. You can attach to anything and slowly regenerate thorn gauge!

Takel on
    Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh. Keep on going through the cell garden in Code 4, but I can't find that Cold Resistant Plate Julian and crew want ;_; . It's obviously not required, but now it's a matter of pride!

sig.gif
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I keep going back and forth on character themes, especially since new hairstyles.

Leaning for a nitro+ themed pair (from Full Metal Daemon: Muramasa, Demonsbane, Dra + Koi, etc.)... but I'm also tempted to make a Type Moon (Fate, Tsukihime/Melty Blood, etc.) based pair, or a Le Fruit de la Grisaia based pair.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Takel wrote: »
    Nothing like seeing a full set of facilities cranking along...
    rJMLcTO.png

You know, I just noticed you had ONE second to take that screenshot. haha

sig.gif
    edited November 2014
    Medical facilities actually give more of a return than augment facilities if you're willing to do cell garden farming.

It takes two of a material to "lock" the resulting item range in a medical facility, and only 7 Non-Existent Non-Resources after that to fill it to 100%. Grab a bunch of rarity 6 items(7-8 is fantastic for this because two spiders and three bots, or 8-1 if you're that far ahead) to start, and dump materials in there at a ratio of 2:7 Parts:Non-Resources.

If you're fast you can do three garden runs before the medical facility finishes, which on average will give you enough NENRs to cover at least three medical facilities and still come out slightly ahead. You'll eventually stack an obscene amount of Consumable+ items. Not counting the other items you'll end up with, just a stack of ~35 Regenerator+ alone after some light farming(30 minutes or less) is about 1,200 EP and 1200 years.

Alternatively once you finish the main story you can take a team into 7-3, push to the last few rooms where the enemies start dropping weapons and farm weapons for 25 minutes. You can end up with 100 to 200-odd weapons of various rarities(yes they drop rank 8 weapons - mostly Barbara's and Aftershadows) and just end up with some significant rewards for turning all of that in. (though on average the GPP for a weapon is going to be lower than Consumable+ items)

Donnicton on