As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

League of Legends

VuLxZVuLxZ Registered User new member
So my buddies and I are very excited for Pax East since League of Legends will be there :) Could somone possibly explain how it is there, ( this is our first times attending ) for example will they perform lcs games and such? Just so eager and want to hear more!!

• nsanensane That guy with the face. Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, they don't play any games at East, they do at Prime. Their booth is usually the first one as you come down the front stairs on the left and is pretty packed. The times I've gone, they've only given out existing skins rather than the exclusives they used to.

wK2XwhV.png
    PAX East 2018: Passes [X], Hotel [X], Airfare [], coin []
  • Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    I love league of legends and stop at the booth every year since I started playing but its mostly for free skin cards. From what I hear about Pax prime, East is lacking based on the fact that their is no LCS games going on. Regi and nightblu made an appearance that i know about. EG was at a different booth during East and I herd you could find Scarra playing Magic. The booth itself is usually extremely packed and IMO not worth my time standing around. The LoL panels are a much better time investment. Last years panel revealed the new VU for twitch and karthus.

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
  • Hyperion098Hyperion098 Registered User regular
    the league booth is always pretty full, and no they havnt played any LCS games at east, However I have met a bunch of people from the league community at east. Got autographs from TSM and dyrus told me to build tiamet every game as top lane and oddone told him he was the reason for elo hell which was funny. hung out with Sky for a bit saw hotshotgg its a cool time.

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    wasnt that that really loud game a lot of people were playing last year at there booth I could be wrong as it did not really interest me but could have swarn they were playing games

• WolfieeWolfiee Web/Graphic Designer and Illustrator MARegistered User regular
    It's extremely loud and the crowd is so large that it takes up a quarter of the show floor and blocks entrance to people trying to get on the escalators. Since my boyfriend is a massive LoL nerd, we visited it a few times last year and waited a good hour to get a skin code. It's hard to get through the crowd and when you do actually meet a Riot rep, they spend a good chunk of time asking you about the game and others around you (which is cool if you don't mind conversation).

They don't actually have playable games - every year I have seen it, they have a Riot employee drawing new splash art for champions (being an illustrator, I loved this) or have guest appearances by the people of LCS. It'd basically a concert.

0CsmwYt.jpg
    Badges [ ] Hotel [ ] Complete Pixelist.net [x] Excitement [x]
  • OfficeZombieOfficeZombie Registered User regular
    They may not have had games at their booth, but there was definitely some MLG stuff going on on the middle of the floor last year. Looked like either LoL or DotA to me, but I don't play either so they look similar to me. Maybe it was Smite?

• flaznarflaznar Registered User regular
    Last year there was a cosplay contest and there are always LOTS of giveaways (LOL themed and tech). Very packed and you have to be ok with a crushing crowd.

• yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I can tell you all about it :) League is so big there, that people complain all the time about Riot.The crowd overflows out of the designated space into the aisles and make a huge roadblock. The Pax enforcers are constantly asking people to clear out. Its so packed. Riot has a big screen that they shows games, play games (sometimes taking people from the crowd to play with the Pros!) and each year they have the artist design a skin in photoshop on the screen, its pretty cool.

They have different stations for each lane. Basically you go over, fight though the crowd and then talk to the riot person about the lane that you play, or they ask you a question or something, and then you get swag. Two years ago, each lane had a customer lane lanyard. Last year, it was all the same so not as cool. They gave out I think 3 skins last year, and ward skin. You can get multiple skins for your friends if you go to the different stations, but they are only valid for like 5 days to avoid selling online etc. Its fun. All the Riot workers have their names on their shirts, so you can actually talk to them, and they actually talk to you. Its cool to hear them in the videos/read their champion updates and then meet them IRL and talk to them :)

Cosplay. If you can do it, do it. Riot is by far the most supportive cosplay exhibitor there. They even have a "Copsplatality" room that they run that has changing rooms, water, place to sit and place to keep your stuff while you cosplay. Very, very very welcoming and useful for cosplayers and they have some Riot staff managing it. They have a cosplay contest on the stage every day. You have to sign up, and there is a giant line when it is time but they put you in order and you go on stage. Two years ago it was not as crowded and everyone got to go up alone on stage, and that was when Nikasaur was there so it was pretty cool. That year I got a giftbag with soooo much stuff. Last year there were so many people that they made us go on stage in groups of 5, which was fine, but took a while. I met people in line waiting and we made a team with actually laners that fit so that was fun. The gift last year was pulseriffle ezreal figure, and it had skins and stuff too. It takes a few hours out of your day to do the cosplay event, BUT you get prizes for doing it, and its a lot of fun.

They also had an afterparty on Sunday night and if you cosplay you got a wristband to get in. I sadly could not go because my train home was leaving, but someone I work with I gave her my pass and she went, had a ton of fun and got me more swag!

TL;DL versions: Its a giant party at their exhibit. They treat their fans, and dedicated cosplay fans very well, and are not stingy with the swag. It makes me love Riot, even when they do nerfs I dont agree with XD

yutani san on
  • RawrbugRawrbug Ice Queen MarylandRegistered User new member
    It's a lot of people, that's for sure! there's not much to actually DO at the booth. As stated before, they give out skin codes and loot, and if you cosplay, you can be in their showcase. It is NOT a contest, which is why I really enjoy it. Every cosplayer that participates gets a bag of neat things. Other than that, there is some art chat, some non-live games, and time to chat with a staff member if you can grab them. They are all so humble and extremely supportive of their fans. Get ready for a really fun experience!

• VuLxZVuLxZ Registered User new member
    Wow thanks for all the awesome replies! Really much appreciated ^.^

• dakumauldakumaul Registered User new member
    nsane wrote: »
    Unfortunately, they don't play any games at East, they do at Prime. Their booth is usually the first one as you come down the front stairs on the left and is pretty packed. The times I've gone, they've only given out existing skins rather than the exclusives they used to.
    Just to correct this guy and not trying to be mean. they do play college match's at pax east. so yes they do play both community match's and a mix of fun match's with tournament match's for college's

The force bends to those who's will is strong
    dakumaul wrote: »
    Just to correct this guy and not trying to be mean. they do play college matches at pax east. so yes they do play both community match's and a mix of fun matches with tournament matches for colleges

Seeing as how I was responding to this part:
    VuLxZ wrote: »
    . . .for example will they perform lcs games. . .

I feel my statement still stands.

wK2XwhV.png
  • Bunta_FujiwaraBunta_Fujiwara Albany, NYRegistered User regular
    I'm not really into LoL, but I think it's about time for them to have their own convention and not be present at PAX. Their booth takes up more and more space every year, with as people have said above, crowds spilling into other booths and isles. Nothing against them, it just seems to get worse every year.

zmYaVYP.png
  • HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    I'm not really into LoL, but I think it's about time for them to have their own convention and not be present at PAX. Their booth takes up more and more space every year, with as people have said above, crowds spilling into other booths and isles. Nothing against them, it just seems to get worse every year.

Replace "LoL" with "tabletop" and see how silly that sounds. The space constraints are an issue with the location at the venue and that's where it should be worked out. Saying who should or shouldn't have a booth at PAX goes against what PAX stands for.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • pelicanflippelicanflip Registered User regular

"I'm not interested in this group of people, they should get the hell out of MY space." Real classy.

Replace "League of Legends" with any other group/organization, and it quickly becomes offensive.

• Bunta_FujiwaraBunta_Fujiwara Albany, NYRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Has nothing to do with me not liking them, I don't care that it's there, what I care about is them drowning out and down right invading the space of surrounding booths and exhibitors. It's unfair for those booths who paid money and are trying their hardest to conduct business, but can't because a bunch of people are spilling into their area.

As for tabletop, that's different because that's not a single game, it's a multitude, although there is a lot of wasted space there too.

It's not so much that they shouldn't take up space, it's that the spillover isn't managed well because of the overwealming demand for LoL.

Bunta_Fujiwara on
    zmYaVYP.png
  • HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    The same thing happens at Prime with the Kingston HyperX booth each year. It happens at a lot of booths. In the end, it comes down to 2 things: people not following Wheaton's law as it applies to walkways, and poor space management. Saying "it's about time for them to have their own convention and not be present at PAX" does nothing but remove an entire gaming community out of PAX, only for the space to be misused by the next exhibitor. It doesn't solve the problem by getting rid of anything that has a potential for spillover around booths. Based on that criteria, there are a lot of groups/exhibitors that should not be present at PAX. Which is still anti-PAX.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular
    Has nothing to do with me not liking them, I don't care that it's there, what I care about is them drowning out and down right invading the space of surrounding booths and exhibitors. It's unfair for those booths who paid money and are trying their hardest to conduct business, but can't because a bunch of people are spilling into their area.

As for tabletop, that's different because that's not a single game, it's a multitude, although there is a lot of wasted space there too.

It's not so much that they shouldn't take up space, it's that the spillover isn't managed well because of the overwealming demand for LoL.

It was alot better Pax 2013. The area outside of the Riot booth was just empty space, so the spill out wasn't as big of an issue. In 2014 the merch booth was right there and there was soo much more congestion. I wish they had the merch booth back where it was the previous year.

I personally don't think anyone going to the Riot booth is trying to be a dick by crowding the walk space. I think the people doing the layout for booths at PAX need to figure out the best method for accommodating everyone that wishes to stop and watch a live game. I dont know what it is, but it seems it could be handled better. Some areas of PAX seem really cramped while other areas underused.

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
  • stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    I personally don't think anyone going to the Riot booth is trying to be a dick by crowding the walk space. I think the people doing the layout for booths at PAX need to figure out the best method for accommodating everyone that wishes to stop and watch a live game. I dont know what it is, but it seems it could be handled better. Some areas of PAX seem really cramped while other areas underused.

I wonder it would work to give Riot a mini-presence on the expo hall floor, then give them the huge ballroom in the Westin for all their big stuff. There's a lot of prefunction space room there too.

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Since we have this thread - worth putting up here in case you don't follow their FB or forums. No Riot booth at EAST this year
    - http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/miscellaneous/eW1esQvu-na-live-events-in-2015

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
    edited January 2015

yutani san wrote: »
    It was alot better Pax 2013. The area outside of the Riot booth was just empty space, so the spill out wasn't as big of an issue. In 2014 the merch booth was right there and there was soo much more congestion. I wish they had the merch booth back where it was the previous year.

That and with Occulous nearby as well, it showed very poor planning on the part of whoever designed the booth layout.

nsane on
    wK2XwhV.png
  • VuLxZVuLxZ Registered User new member
    ishtra wrote: »
    Since we have this thread - worth putting up here in case you don't follow their FB or forums. No Riot booth at EAST this year
    - http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/miscellaneous/eW1esQvu-na-live-events-in-2015

Wow thank you for this post, imagine if I did not read this and we go there, how upset would my friends and I be :(

This is really sad, league was what we were looking forward too. I really hope we will still have a fun time.

• vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    As much as I didn't care for the booth, having no real interest in the game, it was clear that this was a massively popular attraction. Regardless of your thoughts on it, this is a bit of a bummer that Riot will not be there.

IIRC, They did say there will still be panels. With the lack of a booth, I feel like the panels will fill up quick.

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this definitely changed our cosplay plans ... And our Saturday plans too. Guess we'll just have to see what happens. Totally agree re panels filling up. Cosplitality suite was nice last year, so will consider checking it out.

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • earthgirlearthgirl Registered User new member
    Hi,

I was wondering .. I am bringing my 14 year old boys to Pax East . The only reason for going was league of legends. So we are so disappointed with the news of no Riot booth. I am not sure what to expect ? this is our first time attending Pax East not sure what to expect with no booth . I have tried searching for forums on who exactly will be attending e.g.. Team Solomid, youtubers, or anyone. I would appreciate any information that anyone could provide. I apologize for not knowing what I talking about . I am just trying to ensure a good time for my boy's.

Big

Thank-you.

I'm pretty sure LoL teams such as TSM, C9, etc. will not be attending Pax East because of the LCS schedule

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    If your kids are into any other MOBA's there will probably be a ton there. Last year it seemed everyone had a new one available to demo. So if they're not into only LoL there should be games they might want to check out.

• KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    I think there are going to be a couple LoL panel discussions they may want to attend, although the panel schedule is not out yet.

• flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    If Riot does any panels, I pray its done with better quality than the one at PaxSouth. As that one seemed rushed, imho, and not very informative (compared to prior years at PAX).

Looks like they are focusing on their other issues and areas for growth. Hopefully this is just a 2015 thing for Riot and they maybe come back to PAXes sometime in the furture.

• earthgirlearthgirl Registered User new member
    will they be giving out skin codes for 2015 or no since rito is leveling it down a bit?????