As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Release: May 24th / Animated shorts coming this Spring!

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I haven't had a chance to play her yet but D.Va's biggest strengths seem to be her defensive matrix and her ult. Both of which are very strong.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I haven't had a chance to play her yet but D.Va's biggest strengths seem to be her defensive matrix and her ult. Both of which are very strong.

That, and killing her doesn't really kill her, so if she's cautious then she just always has a presence in the fight.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    It seems like d'va doesn't really work that well as just like a frontline tank like some of the other guys. She is however pretty great at diving forward straight into the faces of those annoying high damage characters that skirt around the periphery of a fight and either killing or disrupting them.

She's pretty situational though. Her mech gun is weeeaaaaaak at anything beyond shotgun range

Shotguns ineffective beyond shotgun range. More at 11.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    It seems like d'va doesn't really work that well as just like a frontline tank like some of the other guys. She is however pretty great at diving forward straight into the faces of those annoying high damage characters that skirt around the periphery of a fight and either killing or disrupting them.

She's pretty situational though. Her mech gun is weeeaaaaaak at anything beyond shotgun range

Even at range it's not too bad. It is great for finishing off runners, since (again) it's just so constant. Other people have to reload or aim at someone running away at low health, but not D.Va

Steam profile
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

this is a goosey post

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

It's weak, but it's constant damage that is difficult to dodge, which can add up

yeah, but bastion is hard to dodge too. Lots of other characters are too. Once she starts shooting she's pretty immobile plus she's big, so she really doesn't do very well trading damage in big team fights. If she starts fighting someone with a heal or regeneration on them at anything beyond close range she's gonna get pushed back.

I dunno. There's a lot of characters who don't do well in certain situations, but she's just pretty underwhelming in all but a few certain uses. She's an interesting odd character, but I don't think it really works on balance yet.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Well, if we start comparing heroes to a turret'ed up, defensive Bastion, then many heroes will fall short :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    But is it as goosey as the trigger finger of anyone who expects a shotgun to do anything of note outside of CQC?

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

Even at range it's not too bad. It is great for finishing off runners, since (again) it's just so constant. Other people have to reload or aim at someone running away at low health, but not D.Va

not to mention it's real easy for her to run down anyone trying to disengage

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Man D'va's selfdestruct has way to much range.

Lost 3 games in a row cause the radius was enough to clear out the entire capture point

My understanding is that all you need to do is get out of LoS. If you can't do that, it doesn't matter where on the map you are, you die.

I have literally gone two steps around a corner and waited for it to go off and not died, so the LoS part is certainly true.

Edit: the little "Warning" symbol (!) thingy helps you out a bit, if you're in LoS it's red and flashing, if you're safe it's yellow and not flashing.

I wonder if the Ice Wall from Mei would block it's damage.

So I played my first few games of this last night.

I have yet to lose when defending with Symmetra. I knew I would love her. Her gameplay is right in my wheelhouse.

I like it because while she's amazing defending, I tried to see if I could get some value out of her while attacking and it really doesn't work too well. You don't get much value from the turrets and map depending, the teleporter isn't nearly as strong as an offensive tool as it is on defense. Her orb is still amazing at wrecking stationary defenders though. But I think I'd still be better off with someone flanking or some well placed Pharah rockets.

ruggggged bro let's play together soon

• Options
    D'Va is the hardest to play of the new characters, I think.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    D'Va is the hardest to play of the new characters, I think.

She's my favorite :D

I love boosting into snipers up on bridges/roofs/etc and knocked them off.

Steam profile
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    How to have a goddamn heart attack in two simple steps:

8bTl4pv.png
    WHOA, could it be? THE BETA INVITE?! OF MY DREAMS???????

vnvlcUh.png
    Aw, fuck, dude. Fuck you, Past Me. Goddammit.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    In one of my games last night I had my first taste of a Mei and Turret (in this case Bastion) working together. She walled him up to a high point he normally wouldn't be able to set up at. It was pretty effective. There was no easy flanking or ability to reinhart charge him.

We had to rely on our pharah to take care of him.

• Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Winston might have worked too. He can jump fairly high.

edit: Also Hanzo shotgun arrow, assuming there was a wall for it.

quarthinos on
  • Options
    I no good at Reinhardt, but damn if his charge isn't an extremely effective way to take out entrenched Bastions.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Alright, installing.

How I play this game.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Alright, installing.

How I play this game.

point and click at baddies

Steam profile
  • Options
    Load up your mans

Shoot the other mans

Consume the intense polish apparent in the gorgeous environments and excellent sound design

Cackle with glee as you stick someone with a bomb and rewind through time to safety, or drop a phat beat to pump up your teammates towards victory

• Options
    I've yet to drop a beat, actually.

Oh, also, make sure you post here a lot to enjoy the delicious tears of those who don't have the game yet :twisted:

Steam profile
  • Options
    Though for real if you are newb at FPS I would recommend

Soldier 76
    Reaper
    Mercy
    Reinhardt
    Winston

• Options
    edited November 2015
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Though for real if you are newb at FPS I would recommend

Soldier 76
    Reaper
    Mercy
    Reinhardt
    Winston

I agree, but I'll also add that I'm a complete newb at FPS games and the only one of those that I played for my first week or so was... Mercy, I think. So it's not required to take this advice :P

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options

Oh, also, make sure you post here a lot to enjoy the delicious tears of those who don't have the game yet :twisted:

Lucio is my new fav character. He's so excellent. I like Mercy but she is a bit zzzzzz compare to droppin beats and pumping up the volume.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular

*bites lip*

*hates kime to death*

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

Why do I keep looking at this thread full of meanies? :(

chuck steak on
  • Options
    Winston motm first game. Most kills play of the game.

W+m1 livessss

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    But is it as goosey as the trigger finger of anyone who expects a shotgun to do anything of note outside of CQC?

Well I mean

D.Va doesn't have a shotgun

So I'm not sure what kind of snark-ass point you were trying to make, but you missed the mark

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Alright, installing.

How I play this game.

it doesn't have pyro, you'll hate it

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    Alright, installing.

How I play this game.

I've been pushing break instead of printscreen but let me tell you, winston ain't much different.

PotG 4/5 games so far.
    Most Elims in all 5
    51% elim rate in my last game on 28 elims.

Kinda hate running into Reinhardts tho...

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    As a frequent Tracer player, I very much dislike Winston. Stupid monkey killin' me all the time...

Steam profile
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    While I don't have access, Reaper might also be up your ally. He's a close range damage dealer specialized around ambushing. Uses shotguns though.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    But he has to aim...

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Not if you're close enough!

Steam profile
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Alright, installing.

How I play this game.

But it has the reverse pyro, Mei!

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Jumped into another game in progress on offense
    Nibi8th.jpg
    +mvp with 43% on fire uptime

Learning how to jump and ult is tough, felt like pointless flailing at first.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I don't like how a match isn't attack then defend, it's just one or the other then that's that?? No I think I was just having bad luck. But it doesn't really tie them together, nothing feels like a "match"

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Man D'va's selfdestruct has way to much range.

Lost 3 games in a row cause the radius was enough to clear out the entire capture point

My understanding is that all you need to do is get out of LoS. If you can't do that, it doesn't matter where on the map you are, you die.

I have literally gone two steps around a corner and waited for it to go off and not died, so the LoS part is certainly true.

Edit: the little "Warning" symbol (!) thingy helps you out a bit, if you're in LoS it's red and flashing, if you're safe it's yellow and not flashing.

I wonder if the Ice Wall from Mei would block it's damage.

So I played my first few games of this last night.

I have yet to lose when defending with Symmetra. I knew I would love her. Her gameplay is right in my wheelhouse.

I like it because while she's amazing defending, I tried to see if I could get some value out of her while attacking and it really doesn't work too well. You don't get much value from the turrets and map depending, the teleporter isn't nearly as strong as an offensive tool as it is on defense. Her orb is still amazing at wrecking stationary defenders though. But I think I'd still be better off with someone flanking or some well placed Pharah rockets.

Should work, though the timing might be tricky, since the thing takes so long to blow. If you wall as soon as it comes up, I expect the wall will collapse before the nuke goes off. I can test it tonight. I know for a FACT ice block blocks it, and it might even let someone hide behind you.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I no good at Reinhardt, but damn if his charge isn't an extremely effective way to take out entrenched Bastions.
    I get all my big numbers on Reinhardt. Most Bastions are trash and have no idea where to set up, and I know most of the maps well enough to sneak around and catch them when they set up properly. Murdering their big damage and jumping in on a team that's trading potshots in the opposite direction is a ton of fun as Rein, although you have to either time it well or hope your team pays attention to what you're doing. Every now and again, I get a hungry team that knows what to do when you leave them alone to sneak around behind the enemy, and it feels so. Damn. Good.

Edit:
    I don't like how a match isn't attack then defend, it's just one or the other then that's that?? No I think I was just having bad luck. But it doesn't really tie them together, nothing feels like a "match"

Sounds like bad luck to me: if too many people leave (3 or 4) it will start up a new game, or if you joined on the second half of a match, obviously you don't get the flip. I have definitely stayed in the same match with flipped teams, but typically the losers will bail because they have no faith in the scrubs that just let them down. I've definitely done it at the end of a night.

What's your bnet shit dude, I will support the shit out of your giant monkey. Ozaru#1304

sarukun on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    On the topic of D.Va

Her best strength might just be that people severely underestimate her when she's zero-suit, and her gun packs a surprising punch.

Hey, Reaper, you're at 20% health. Sure you wouldn't rather ghost out of here? No, just gonna keep fighting? Cool, thanks for the ult charge.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    The individual shots aren't much to worry about, but they come so fast they're almost a flamethrower-type weapon, so you take five hits in less than a second and whoop, you're dead.

This discussion has been closed.