As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Release: May 24th / Animated shorts coming this Spring!

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    i think the word you're looking for is satisfying to use

it's definitely powerful and effective but it's very much a workhorse ult that gets things done without a lot of flashiness and pizzaz

and people want their ults to be like "whoa, that shit was badass"

That's the one(s). When something is described as ultimate I don't think of "teleport 6 people to the front lines, maybe."
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    Whats it like swapping between heroes, is it a 1 for 1 swap with another player? Appreciated, but it seems strange to me if its only 6 v 6 matches with no characters in between like a Battlefront game.

You can have multiples of a hero on the same team. So you just change your own hero (as many times as you like).

Keep in mind it does reset your ultimate however, so if you do or almost have your ultimate ready to go it might be better to use it first depending on the situation.
    kime wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    Kupi wrote: »
    Evidently, her teleporter is capped to six(?) uses before it's automatically removed from play.

That's lame.

I suppose that is one way to balance her out since teleporting forces to front lines is pretty dang powerful. Still, it makes her ult underwhelming since though 6 players could get insta-gibbed.

Symmetra's ult is definitely not underwhelming. Like So It Goes said, it's usually up before it gets fully used.

You could go so far as to argue that it's one of the best ults in the game.

I guess the better word to use is lackluster. It is undeniably useful with long respawn times and longer runs to get to the front lines. Compared to the other support ultimates, well ultimates in general, it just seems to lack that certain oomph.

It's cool because she can set up rad death traps with her turrets and smash people through shields, so I feel like her other strong abilities make up for not having an "exciting" ult

I definitely look forward to playing her but when I look at her kit, I'd rather play Mercy. However she is a lot more interesting for turret building due to her disposable mini turrets since the dwarf is in a bad place right now.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

it's definitely powerful and effective but it's very much a workhorse ult that gets things done without a lot of flashiness and pizzaz

the player psychology regarding abilities and their effects is actually really interesting

league of legends for example has openly stated that they almost never do damage-over-time abilities because they have to be overpowered before players think they're good, just because people aren't parsing the damage the same way

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    @No Great Name

if you are on and want a game I will join you, otherwise I'm going to do chores

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015

the player psychology regarding abilities and their effects is actually really interesting

league of legends for example has openly stated that they almost never do damage-over-time abilities because they have to be overpowered before players think they're good, just because people aren't parsing the damage the same way

see: swain's torment being one of the highest base/scaling damage spells in the game but since it's dealt over 4s who gives a shit

but yeah, back on track, things having large immediate/visual impact are much more satisfying to the average player because, well, humans

Orphane on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    @No Great Name

if you are on and want a game I will join you, otherwise I'm going to do chores
    @So It Goes play more??

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Done for the night I think! Thx tho

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Man playing COD BLOPS 3 multiplayer (a game I'm only playing because it was gifted to me) does not scratch the itch caused by Overwatch.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I love using it and finding places to put it and protecting it with my turrets etc. Symmetra is just the best. She's in every game I play at least on the defending team and sometimes both.

It was funny to me that when we played we kept alternating between Lucio and Symmetra.

Why you got to like the same guys as me?!

In other news. Tanks are great and essential. I'm still getting used to them but on the Attack especially, you NEED someone who can take hits on the point and / or block some damage to get there in the first place.

Winston and Rheinhardt are simply amazing at this.

Now if only I could just get good at actually shooting people, I would enjoy playing attackers.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I'd love a "how you died" report more detailed than just watching the killcam. I'm still trying to figure out why my D.Va sometimes takes forever to die and sometimes dies in half a second. The latter are usually snipes, but sometimes the "killer" isn't responsible for the majority of damage taken.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I've been fucking obsessed with Roadhog for a couple days now. Maybe people just aren't used to respecting the hook but I'm getting 10+ streaks every game.

• Options
    I've been fucking obsessed with Roadhog for a couple days now. Maybe people just aren't used to respecting the hook but I'm getting 10+ streaks every game.

They don't seem to stay stunned for long, enough time to get off one shot. Does Roadhog's weapon do that much damage up close?

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »

They don't seem to stay stunned for long, enough time to get off one shot. Does Roadhog's weapon do that much damage up close?

It does quite a bit, yes.

That said, I just laugh when a Roadhog hooks my D.Va.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    McCree's stun grenade is the same. For something that needs to land pretty much on target to stun a dude, you still have to be very fast to aim and fire at the head.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Yes, his shotgun does a ton of damage up close and has a secondary fire for picking off fleeing targets.

It's more though that you can hook them into the middle of your team. Not many heroes can survive being focus fired by 3 or 4 people.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015

You wanna be right-clicking. Basically how it works is you hook and pull them right to where your reticle is, like their heads are under the reticle. Right click immediately and you will headshot them for big-ol'-damage.

Took me a while to figure out how people were comboing me to death but whenever I tried it it just tickled them ineffectually.

sarukun on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Let me guess... "You want the mech? Take it! KABOOM!"

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Let me guess... "You want the mech? Take it! KABOOM!"

That, plus D.Va's damage isn't too bad at close range, plus she has a bunch of health and armor.

But most importantly one of her abilities is "pfft bullets? Whatever". So I can just walk away (or fly or whatever) without getting hurt.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    McCree's stun grenade is the same. For something that needs to land pretty much on target to stun a dude, you still have to be very fast to aim and fire at the head.

The typical combo for McCree is stun them at close range and then right-click. No need to aim, all six bullets at that range will kill like 80% of the roster (you are unlikely to miss with any bullets if you're close enough and they sure won't be moving), and if you get good at right-click, roll, right-click, that takes care of the rest of the roster.

sarukun on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/blog/19964704/

On Thursday Overwatch is going to send out a whole bunch of 1 weekend beta invites so they can do a weekend stress test on servers.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    fresh meat

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    I am gonna be out of town this weekend. Blizz plz reschedule.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

On Thursday Overwatch is going to send out a whole bunch of 1 weekend beta invites so they can do a weekend stress test on servers.

Just to toy with us, they will also send out normal invites too...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    R-KR-K Registered User regular
    I expect to be woken up Friday morning by the audible gnashing of teeth of those who didn't even get into the big weekend stress test. Hopefully that won't be the sound of my own impotent rage.

3DS: 2036-7005-8111 Shiny:2737
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Of course this weekend I'll be out of town visiting my brother..!

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    That'll teach you to have a life away from your battle.net account!

• Options
    It's late, but I'll do one more quick game. Get loaded in and we're on Defense, so I pick my usual Symmetra. Notice we have three Koreans on our team (presumably, due to their names.) They pick Mercy and two others and the game loads in. I get my first teleporter up pretty quickly, and at the end of the match it's been used twice. Because we only had two deaths. The enemy team barely ever made it out of the gates. It was a slaughter.

Switches me at halftime to Attack, as expected. I notice the Koreans are on the other team now, back on Defense. Immediate Alt-F4; that's enough for one night!

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I played with Star (ster) the other day.

I acquitted myself well as Lucio and we kinda steamrolled the other team.

Then I got switched and, well...

At least I made it hard for him to Torbjorn up some turrets by Reinhardting the shit out of them. I kinda wanna check the archive and see if I made it on stream!

Being a good Reinhardt is so frustrating when your team can't do anything with the space you make for them. I lost a game the other day where I had 25 Elims, 19 final blows and 808 obj, and made play of the game. Really would have liked to see a W next to all that.

sarukun on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Don't know if this has been posted yet, but they are doing a limited access Beta Weekend beginning on the 20th. So those of us who are not blessed by the RNG Gods will get a small window to play the game. Edit: Apparently they're not doing full access. They're just sending out a mass wave of invites, so it is not going to be a guaranteed thing.

I'm just hoping they open pre-streaming either tonight or tomorrow.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I really love those moments when an attacking team finally follows someone in and gets a good push on the point after floundering for most of the match otherwise.

It's amazing how it can turn on a dime like that if everyone can just team up for a brief moment.

• Options
    I have gotten better at not throwing my life away as a tank. When I see all the little chevrons turn into skulls, I basically twiddle my thumbs until everybody comes back again. Flinging yourself one on five into the gaping maw of death helps nobody.

• Options
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I really love those moments when an attacking team finally follows someone in and gets a good push on the point after floundering for most of the match otherwise.

It's amazing how it can turn on a dime like that if everyone can just team up for a brief moment.

Equally frustrating is when you are consistently going 1v2/1v3 and making space and your team just flails around and does nothing.

Also please stop picking Widowmaker on attack, pubs -_-'

• Options

Equally frustrating is when you are consistently going 1v2/1v3 and making space and your team just flails around and does nothing.

Like 1 in 5 is actually a real boon, picking off jerks like Tracer.

I'm way more sick of offensive Torbjorns.

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »

If you try to pick Torbjorn, Bastion, or Widowmaker on Attack the game should be like "yo you trippin', naw dog."

• Options
    I don't think Widowmaker is that bad for attack. She just has to be doing solid work in taking out their defenders.

It is interesting to see which characters work well on which side. Or the ones who work well on both (Like Mei IMO).

• Options
    edited November 2015
    It's amazing how thoroughly Mei + Zarya on the Defending team makes capturing shit a living hell.

Rius on
  • Options
    Mei in general is a gigantic pain in the ass to push into. I'll be surprised if she doesn't eat a nef sooner or later.

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular

If you try to pick Torbjorn, Bastion, or Widowmaker on Attack the game should be like "yo you trippin', naw dog."

Star's been doing some offensive Bastion with moderate success, though his success is probably more attributable to his skill/play-time than the pick.

• Options

Star's been doing some offensive Bastion with moderate success, though his success is probably more attributable to his skill/play-time than the pick.

I can think of a couple maps where an offensive Bastion can be really useful (breaking out of the base on Watchpoint Gibraltar, in particular, he's very good for), but I think you need to be able to 1) recognize those specific times and 2) be super on point with your positioning and play, neither of which really describes pubs xD

Speaking of Torbjorn though, the general zeitgeist of "he's weak" (still not sure where this came from but you definitely see the attitude around) has made people really not respect the turret, and every game where I've gotten a level 3 turret in a good place I've ended the match with like 30 kills.

• Options

Speaking of Torbjorn though, the general zeitgeist of "he's weak" (still not sure where this came from but you definitely see the attitude around) has made people really not respect the turret, and every game where I've gotten a level 3 turret in a good place I've ended the match with like 30 kills.

I think Tobjorn is much more effective on some maps than others.

I think my original feeling of his weakness came from constantly getting maps were the turret didn't last very long no matter where I dropped it.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    A LOT of noobs just have NO idea where to set up static defenses. I like Symmetra in part because I can cover an area very easily without worrying about being a few pixels off on my placement. If you wanna play as Bastion and Torbjorn, I HIGHLY recommend firing up a bot game or private game and learning where to set up shit by running around and finding lanes and corners that cover important parts of the map well. Nothing pleases me more than seeing a Bastion out in the middle of the road. A lot of times, I can shield-stroll into range and shoulder check his ass into a wall. When that fails, it's a pretty simple matter to take an alternate route and shoulder-check his ass into a wall.

About three weeks ago I fought two Bastions on a team that did not understand the concept of spreading out. We won that game and I had like 18 final blows.

sarukun on
This discussion has been closed.