As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Release: May 24th / Animated shorts coming this Spring!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Except plenty of voice actors sound the same in their roles? Not like he claims to be the greatest ever. Unless he does?

Steve Blum being a great example of a much beloved voice actor who sounds exactly the same in every single role.

• Options
    InqInq Registered User regular
    It's fine to only have one voice, if its a good one. Many professional voice actors fall into that category. And I think Metzen's got one good voice. The problem comes up when you try to have that guy with one voice play multiple roles in the same scene, and unfortunately WoW has that problem a lot.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Except plenty of voice actors sound the same in their roles? Not like he claims to be the greatest ever. Unless he does?

Steve Blum being a great example of a much beloved voice actor who sounds exactly the same in every single role.

Only thing is, the games he plays a part in don't frequently result in situations where Steve Blum could literally be talking to himself for the entire scene.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Ster has been making videos on certain characters and I really like this one about D.VA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJN-p8UEONg
    Didn't know she had a combo and it really helped me out on how to play her

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Huh... did not know about that combo, just tried it in game and got 4 killing blows with it out of 5 kills overall. Neat.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    What the heck when did star switch to a new youtube channel

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I still don't punch enough. I just want to keep firing my gunz!

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The only time I felt like I needed to be punching more was while playing Tracer

Feels like she really wants to be punching after she burns through all her ammo to secure some kills, but I couldn't come up with a button placement for it that felt good

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Do you have a side mouse button? Or you can use mouse wheel

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Side mouse button feels great for melee. 'v' and 'f' also are good.

• Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Side mouse button feels great for melee. 'v' and 'f' also are good.

First thing I do in a new FPS is map melee and push-to-talk to side buttons. Now, what to use the other four buttons for.

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    My mouse button Tracer combo.

Side button 1: Hiya!

Side button 2: Punch!

488W936.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

That's his backup channel, he's putting these here because he's not putting much effort into editing therm and thus he doesn't want to put them on the main channel

He talks about this in the first few videos, I think the junkrat and pharah ones

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I imagine Star will put more effort into videos for his main channel round the time of open beta/launch when interest for the game is at it's highest and he can get more hits.

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Corehealer wrote: »
    My mouse button Tracer combo.

Side button 1: Hiya!

Side button 2: Punch!

Yeah, I should probably move the other emotes to the side buttons so I quit hitting them on accident on the keyboard.
    Waiting on lunch, then I should be around for the rest of the day to group up.

sPider817 on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Just bind her emote to mousewheel and gogogogo

Everyone will love you

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

And by "exclusively on Xbox" apparently they mean you can just watch it on the website:

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

this is patently untrue

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

I don't know but it's extra annoying because he still uploads to the first one

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

this is patently untrue

Indeed. Blum has a range, it's just that his gravelly badass voice is really in demand.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Similarly, for awhile there everyone wanted Nolan North to just do the Nathan Drake voice.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Yeah, the trick is you recognize when Blum or North are doing their Spike or Drake voices respectively but you can't tell when they're doing other voices so it's easy to reinforce that they only do that one voice as long as you don't spend time looking up everything they've voiced.

• Options
    http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20742914690

"Will you actually buy the game?"
    definitely buying... multiple copies... collector's editions up the whazoo
    shoot wrong account

• Options
    Kept a team alive as Zenyatta, then the Torbjorn, who just sat back and let his turret do all his killing, was begging for up-votes after the match. Fuck him, I voted for myself. Support gets zero love.

• Options
    It seems like poor form to ask for votes. Also, do they actually do anything? Do you get more XP or something?

• Options
    It seems like poor form to ask for votes. Also, do they actually do anything? Do you get more XP or something?

They're purely for e-peen. They don't even save to the player record afterwards.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

They're purely for e-peen. They don't even save to the player record afterwards.

They show up under stats as cards, I believe. Don't know if that's how many times you've gotten 5 votes, or just how many times people have voted for you. Anyway, love playing with people that won't even bother to type for communication purposes. At least I got play of the game as Pharah after we almost won the first round on Ilios and then got stomped out hard in round two.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Communication can be interesting. I had a game last night where no one was really communicating, but we were doing ok (we did end up losing). One guy on our team though basically was constantly on voice chat complaining about how "bad" everyone else was. It was incessant. Near the end of the game he started complaining that no one was communicating. To which everyone replied "Nah you seemed to be doing enough of that for everyone". He then called everyone cowards, which most of us found very amusing.

Some games require communication, some don't, it almost always helps, but I will say if your "communication" consists primarily of just vague complaints about how horrible the team you are on is.....please don't bother talking at all.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Call out where snipers and turrets are plz!

V helpful

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Call out where snipers and turrets are plz!

V helpful

And enemy teleporters!

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Give me an emote command to call out turrets, teleporters, snipers and maybe even specific heroes or hero types, as well as maybe some more general commands like directional commands and requests for aid. I would appreciate more TF2 style commands and emotes, maybe even more emote slots as well.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Give me an emote command to call out turrets, teleporters, snipers and maybe even specific heroes or hero types, as well as maybe some more general commands like directional commands and requests for aid. I would appreciate more TF2 style commands and emotes, maybe even more emote slots as well.

Well the game does automatically call them out if you see them, it's up to you to point out exactly where though. But at least it gives a general warning that they do exist.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Patch
    HERO BALANCE CHANGES:

General

Quick Melee
    Damage decreased from 50 to 30
    Cooldown decreased from 1.5 seconds to 1 second

Developer comments: Quick Melee has proven to be too strong of an ability, especially when used in combination with other attacks to increase ‘burst’ damage potential. Lowering the damage of a melee attack also allows us to lower the cooldown, making it feel more responsive when you need it.

Bastion

Tank Mode
    Duration reduced from 10 seconds to 8 seconds

Developer comments: We like the way Bastion’s ultimate is performing, but it is lasting just a bit too long for enemies to reasonably react to it.

Genji

Health increased from 150 to 200
    Shuriken
    Damage reduced by 20%

Developer comments: We’ve been listening to feedback and watching data very closely on Genji, especially since we recently lowered his health. Overall that change did put him in a better place, but we want to try an alternative change by lowering his damage output instead of his survivability.

Hanzo

Scatter Arrow
    Fragments will no longer be calculated as a headshot against an enemy player

Developer comments: We wanted to reduce some of the more frustrating elements of Scatter Arrow while still maintaining its overall power level.

Junkrat

RIP-Tire
    Health reduced from 150 to 100

Developer comments: The recent changes to Junkrat’s RIP-Tire have helped it become more viable and have opened up new options for enemy counters. However, the health was too high, so many times it felt impossible to counter.

Mei

Endothermic Blaster
    Primary Fire
    Lowered time to freeze by 15%
    Secondary Fire
    Added damage falloff
    Lowered fire rate by 15%

Developer comments: Since last patch we have seen Mei perform significantly better across the board. Even though her overall power level is in a much better place now, too much of that power is coming from her alternate fire. This change moves some of that power from her alternate fire to her primary fire.

Symmetra

Teleporter
    Ultimate charge cost increased by 30%

Developer comments: Teleport was coming up so frequently that it didn’t feel rewarding to eliminate Symmetra’s Teleport Pad. This change should help reward those who hunt down the Teleport Pad while encouraging Symmetra players to find more strategic locations for deployment.

Winston

Jump Pack
    Cooldown reduced from 8 seconds to 6 seconds

Developer comments: Winston’s survivability took a hit when we recently made changes to Barrier Projector. Overall, Winston being less reliant on a single ability has been good, but we’re looking at bumping his power back up in other ways. Lowering the Jump Pack cooldown allows him to use the ability as a normal engage tool while also giving him more flexibility to use it as an escape option or to continue pressuring the enemy.

Zarya

Particle Cannon
    Increased the minimum damage by 25%

Developer comments: Zarya’s main strength comes from her ability to absorb damage to increase her own power. While we don’t want to undermine that core functionality, we also want to make sure she feels as though she provides a meaningful contribution in combat even at lower power levels.

Zenyatta

Discord Orb
    Now removed by Immunity Effects (Mei Cryo-Freeze, Zarya Barriers, Zenyatta Transcendence)

Developer comments: Discord Orb is a powerful tool that has proven a little too difficult to deal with at times. We’re allowing for some more options to counter the ability while still maintaining its strength.
    RIP punch nerf
    also symmetra nerf

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Ahahahaha, Zarya buffs

Cyka Blyat, motherfuckers

The melee nerf I super hate though, it's a pretty hard nerf to DVa.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Thank god for the Genji change. A stiff breeze would fucking kill him before. At least with 200 health he has a chance now.

Also thanks for the Rip-Tire nerf, called the HP amount as being too much when they first made the changes, glad to see they rolled it back a bit, should make it less of a sure thing.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Well, D.Va Boostram + PB Shotgun + Melee is still ~90 damage, so that's still decentish.

Genji: Less damage on Shurikens w/200 HP is where I expected him to be after the first nerf, so that's good.
    Junkrat: Tire now dies to a single direct Pharah rocket, which is good.
    Mei: Expected changes to right-click; it's not a huge nerf to fire rate, so you can probably still get two icicles into a frozen dude. Faster time to freeze w/left click is great news.
    Winston: Good, always felt like I was hammering his Jump Pack and dying to cooldown.
    Zenyatta: Good niche for Zarya v Zenyatta, though of course the re-Discord speed is going to be faster than the re-shield. Still, good.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Huh I figured Mei was definitely going to eat a stronger nerf than that

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    The Immunity Removes Discord is an interesting way to buff Zarya/nerf Discord that I really like.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    It gives Zarya some utility besides charging into battle 100% of the time, which I like.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    I really like how they let us know what they're thinking regarding buffs and nerfs. I wish more developers did that.

This discussion has been closed.