As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] [5E] Lost Mines of Phandelver

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    no problem

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    If the goblins on the bridge haven't noticed us yet, would Lash and I would count as unseen attackers. Do we have a clear shot at the goblins on the bridge?

Alternate plan: go down the left passageway through difficult terrain.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Yes you are unseen. this would be a surprise round if initiated. they have partial cover(+2)

belligerent on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Hey sorry I haven't been posting! I've been super busy but I'm still following along. Just assume that Sigrid is bringing up the rear, expecting an ambush.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    If we do attempt to ambush the goblins on the bridge, I think we should douse the light and move the people with darkvision up so they can make surprise attacks as well, since Lash and I aren't 100% to one shot the goblins (I'm ~40ish % and he's ~50%).

• Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Dray is totally down with unleashing a volley from the darkness. If that ends up being the plan, here's her stealth roll.

Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Creepin'.

Creepin':
    1d20+3 11 [1d20=8]

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I'm cool with that plan. I can end the Light at end time and would probably be up near the front to at least start intercepting some goblins.

Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Stealth

Stealth:
    1d20+4 17 [1d20=13]

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    When we attack, can we do a one round delay for me? I can use my High Elf cantrip, true strike, to get advantage on the attack roll. Just have everybody ready an action to fire when I do? Should slightly up the odds of us get enough burst damage to finish them all off.

• Options
    Okane turns to Lash ( @jpants ) and holds up two fingers, and points towards the bridge. He silently lifts his crossbow and takes aim at one of the goblins on the bridge, hoping his partner reads his intentions and coordinates enough to silence the sentries.

Geth roll 2d20k1+5;1d8+3 for Surprise attack and piercing damage

Surprise attack and piercing damage:
    2d20k1+5 25 [2d20k1=[20], 11]
    1d8+3 6 [1d8=3]

• Options
    Geth roll 1d8 for clutch crits

clutch crits:
    1d8 2 [1d8=2]

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    About to suggest the same thing, Lash knows exactly what Okane's intentions are when he sees his hand signals. Silently drawing back his arrow he takes aim the sentry left for him, takes a deep breath, and exhales, ready to lose his arrow as soon as Okane does.

Are we waiting for everyone to get up and attack at the same time or just Lash and Okane? Also since we are starting combat on our terms, I don't think there should be a problem for @Mongrel Idiot‌ to pre-cast True Strike, but that's a call for @belligerent‌

Going to pre-roll my attack so that when we're all ready we can attack and no one has to wait on me to come back and roll it.

Geth roll 2d20k1+7;1d8+3 for Surprise attack and piercing damage

Surprise attack and piercing damage:
    2d20k1+7 25 [2d20k1=[18], 11]
    1d8+3 7 [1d8=4]

• Options
    Hope 7 and 8 damage is enough to take these guys out.

• Options
    @Mongrel Idiot‌ it's not a round yet, so you can add true strike to your ability. I'll wait till tomorrow to allow the others to post what they're doing.

• Options
    Awesome, thanks. I'll go ahead and roll mine, then.

Following Okane and Lash's signals, Dray creeps up the corner with them. She whispers a short incantation and points to one of the goblins. For an instant the cave in front of her vanishes and is replaced by the cave of a moment in the future, when the goblin will lean back in laughter at something his fellow said. When the vision passes, she raises her bow and takes aim at where his throat is about to be.

Geth, roll 2d20k1+7;1d10+3 for Attack with True Strike.

Attack with True Strike:
    2d20k1+7 8 [2d20k1=[1], 1]
    1d10+3 10 [1d10=7]

• Options
    Now THAT'S a terrible roll!

• Options
    Double critical failure even with True Strike and being unseen? You must be on Geth's On Notice list.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Someone's clearly getting coal for Christmas.

Characters
  • Options
    Yes geth, feed me their souls!

mu-ah-ha-ha

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Busy weekend + lost phone = bad times for pbp. All better now though.

By the way, how is vision for Polk in here? What is my light source, or do I not have one?

(Assuming he has vision) Polk lets loose another bolt at the goblin pack.

Geth, roll 1d20+5;1d6+3 Crossbow, Hand

Crossbow, Hand:
    1d20+5 23 [1d20=18]
    1d6+3 7 [1d6=4]

• Options
    did you roll stealth to get up to lash? if not, do so. anyone who passes the stealth roll gets one action before alerting the goblins.

they are lit from their own torches.

• Options
    will continue around 1 1pm tonight

• Options
    @Carnarvon‌ roll stealth, get sneak attack damage?

• Options
    JPants wrote: »
    @Carnarvon‌ roll stealth, get sneak attack damage?

Oh, that's right. I'm a rogue.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 Stealth

Geth, roll 1d20+5 advantage die on successful stealth

Geth, roll 1d6 for potential Sneak Attack damage

Stealth:
    1d20+5 10 [1d20=5]
    successful stealth:
    1d20+5 25 [1d20=20]
    potential Sneak Attack damage:
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Don't forget 1d6 Bardic Inspiration for stealth. @carnarvon. Also, critical damage, because no one in the group can roll less than 20

Well, except those that roll only 1s, but on the level we're above average here.

E: Guys, Geth is on to us

silence1186 on
  • Options
    Geth, roll 1d6 for Inspiring Bards

Inspiring Bards:
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]

• Options
    Unless this is the king of the fucking goblins, I'm pretty sure 13 damage will take him out. For gits and shiggles, however...

Geth, roll 2d6 for Bow and Sneak Attack crits

Bow and Sneak Attack crits:
    2d6 6 [2d6=1, 5]

• Options
    edited November 2014
    "I am Gibgib, Lord of the Mountain and Defender of Goblin-kind everywhere. Who dares raise a bow against me, the peerless commander of 1000 victories?!"

silence1186 on
  • Options
    As quick as lightning, four shots ring out into the air, killing both visible goblins. a 3rd goblin, who was sitting against the half wall of cover, squeals in fear and dashes off into the darkness, screaming. about 10 seconds later you hear a loud noise. "Ka-THUNK." What do you do?
    craigmaw3_zps2e79755b.png
    @silence1186‌
    @Denada‌
    @Mongrel Idiot
    @JPants‌
    @Aegis‌
    @Carnarvon‌

• Options
    Well shit.... Suggestions? Charge up or slowly advance?

I assume the goblin ran off to the East there, not across the bridge?

• Options
    Having no intentions of letting even a single one of those godless waste-gremlins escape, Polk leaps up to grab onto the bridge and chase the coward.

I'm using my rogue ability to Dash, and also my Inspiration.[color]

Geth, roll 1d20+5;1d20+5 Acrobatics

Acrobatics:
    1d20+5 22 [1d20=17]
    1d20+5 20 [1d20=15]

• Options
    Sigrid will head for the path to the left, to cover Polk's rear as he makes for the bridge.

• Options
    Okane dashes up the path, and under the bridge to see what's beyond the bridge.

Move 12 spaces forward on the path next to the stream.

• Options
    Dray will follow Okane; if there's an ambush around the corner it wouldn't do for one of us to be alone.

• Options
    With a running start Lash leaps up and grabs on to the bridge, hoists himself up, and takes off after Polk to cover him

According to the high jump rules that shouldn't be a problem. 3 + 1.5x height is what you can reach. I can't find my height on my sheet but unless i'm under 4 foot (i'm not) it shouldn't be a problem.

Let me know if you want me to make an athletics check or something anyway. Otherwise I'm following Polk. Just going to do my normal 35 feet and see if I can see an enemy to attack. If I can't, Dash the remaining feet to close the distance with Polk.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense @belligerent‌

• Options
    due to the slippery nature of the bridge (theres water on it and everything) please make an athletics check to maintain your hold on the wet wood @jpants

• Options

Geth, roll 1d20+2 for fingers don't fail me now!

fingers:
    1d20+2 14 [1d20=12]

• Options
  • Options
    Myriil follows Okane under the bridge, keeping to the walls in case the sound from earlier might be something terribly unpleasant, watching as the goblins quickly appear and drop almost as fast.

I can cast Jump, if Lash needs it. It would triple your jump distance, though you might end up just slipping back down if you can't balance on it in the first place.

Characters
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Lash and Polk both make it onto the bridge without much effort. As they turn right, they see several goblins ahead in the passage. @denada how much does your character weigh? if it's over 100 lbs, please make an acrobatics check to avoid falling down as the escarpment you walked on is unstable and collapses under the weight of yourself.

As the three of you round the bend, you immediately notice the water is rushing to you, overflowing the creek and coming onto the path and stairs. Ahead you see a huge wave of water flowing down the path. it is 6 feet tall currently.

geth roll 1d20+3 for initiative

initiative:
    1d20+3 10 [1d20=7]

belligerent on
  • Options
    Sigrid curses under her breath at this shoddy goblin construction.

Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Acrobatics

Acrobatics:
    1d20+1 7 [1d20=6]