Options

2015 [registration] is LIVE! (sold out) - tickets are starting to arrive!

• Options
    jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    darren66 wrote: »
    Bought tickets. Still extremely annoyed that this is how they do business.

They're in a no win situation.

Scenario #1: They announce ahead of time
    -servers crash, scalpers scoop up the tickets, all the "real" fans are left out.
    Scenario #2: They announce the split second tickets go live.
    -only the most obsessed or lucky are able to get the tickets and a number of "real" fans are left out
    Scenario #3: Lottery
    -tickets allocations are a total crapshoot and most end up on the secondary market, as people who weren't able to get enough for friends and family sell their tickets. Significant numbers of "real" fans are left out.

You can't blame the organizers for putting on a great show that thousands of people want to attend.

npyymaqh3gup.png
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I also got a room at Park Plaza (friend also grabbed us one).

Park Plaza is a good place and location. I stayed there last year and got a room their this year. Most of the after parties were like a block or two away which was very convenient.

Yea, I've stayed there every year except 2014. Burrito place, PF Changs, 7-11, tons of places to grab food. Close to chinatown to grab liquor if need be. Close to the Pokecrawl. Shuttle isn't too bad.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    danielofthekingsdanielofthekings Silver Spring, MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014

Park Plaza is a good place and location. I stayed there last year and got a room their this year. Most of the after parties were like a block or two away which was very convenient.

Yea, I've stayed there every year except 2014. Burrito place, PF Changs, 7-11, tons of places to grab food. Close to chinatown to grab liquor if need be. Close to the Pokecrawl. Shuttle isn't too bad.

Well I guess you were lucky cause last year, one night the fire alarm went of in the building at like 2:30 am or something like that. It was kinda funny!

danielofthekings on
  • Options
    pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Kyuss wrote: »
    Got all 3 single days even though I clicked the link 30 seconds after it was posted.

That was nerve wrecking.

Yup, 27 seconds after it posted, I clicked (according to twitter)

Got through que at 3:05. 3 days gone by 3:08. I musta just squeaked in....

pilferk on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular

Well I guess you were lucky cause last year, one night the fire alarm went of in the building at like 2:30 am or something like that. It was kinda funny!

That was a blast. I brought out my 3DS and got street passes then. Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Saturday sold out

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    pilferk wrote: »
    Kyuss wrote: »
    Got all 3 single days even though I clicked the link 30 seconds after it was posted.

That was nerve wrecking.

Yup, 27 seconds after it posted, I clicked (according to twitter)

Got through que at 3:05. 3 days gone by 3:08. I musta just squeaked in....
    I arrived at 3:08. The bouncer told me to get in the single-day line. I was going to argue, but he had 5 head folds... FIVE! Totally would have wrecked me if I didn't scoot, and quick. Still, three single-day passes is better than no passes, I say.

Also, Saturday passes sold out

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    This discussion happens every time tickets get sold. There is literally one solution that won't take tickets out of one persons hands and into another: Stop selling multi-day passes altogether. There's going to be at least a few that just go to waste on one of the days, this is why multi days are getting more and more limited, I would expect to not see them at Prime.

PW0oFIs.png
  • Options
    I agree on eliminating multi day passes all together. If some one buys all 3 days give them a $10 - $15 discount for buying all 3. With how fast they sell out they know how many they need so they could then send everyone who bought all three days an actual 3 day pass.

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • Options
    VegaObscuraVegaObscura Registered User regular
    This is the first year I didn't manage to get a 3-day. I was blown away because I was in the queue by 3:05 and had one in my cart, but it wouldn't let me check out.

• Options
    JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Omegathon?

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • Options
    caerulean_bluecaerulean_blue Registered User regular
    I am curious as to why a 3-day pass is so much less than buying 3 single days. I understand that they are probably giving a break to people who attend all days but I would expect to see less of a difference in price.

• Options
    A.SabotA.Sabot Boston, MaRegistered User regular
    Woo I got badges! Can't wait for the show this year!

Pax East 2016: BYOC [x], 3 Day Passes [x], car[x], license[x], new computer[x]
  • Options
    ninjaschooldropoutsninjaschooldropouts Registered User regular
    Well every year we have this same problem with scalpers and 3 day badges. This year was worse than last, and the badges were sold out in what.. 12 minutes? I know they don't have much control over this but we can try to stop it. Ebay doesn't have specific rules on ticket scalping. They go by the law of the location of the event.

That being said, in Massachusetts, you have to have a license to resell tickets and you can't sell them for more than 2 dollars over the face value. So we need to 1) Not buy tickets on Ebay ever. Don't give scalpers your money. And 2) report the listings. Site the law.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/consumer-prot-and-bus-lic/license-type/amusements/ticket-resellers-faqs.html

If Ebay doesn't care what we have to say, then we can try to get the state/city government involved. Maybe they'll initiate action. I know they are being sold in other places besides Ebay, and this might not help at all but it's worth a shot right? If enough of us make enough noise, maybe Ebay will start shutting these guys down.

• Options
    bz_sleeperbz_sleeper Registered User regular
    I've never seen Sunday go to low volume so quickly. I remember in PAX East 2012, I bought a Sunday pass on the same weekend.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    flashe wrote: »
    Missed the 3 day pass blitz :(.... 8 mins it was sold out. I'm hoping (praying) they will release another batch of 3 days later. This is what I heard they did for PAX Aus, but I can hope.
    The "other batch" at aus were processed refunds and such. It was a small batch. I would expect that the reclaimed badges by people trying to cheat the system will go eventually, but it will probably be tiny and go quick. You're better off just getting badges now.

• Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    So all scalpers are bad? What happens if you can't go anymore - just tell them to eat the ticket and deny someone else entry? Just f'ing annoying all the way 'round.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    pelicanflippelicanflip Registered User regular
    So all scalpers are bad? What happens if you can't go anymore - just tell them to eat the ticket and deny someone else entry? Just f'ing annoying all the way 'round.

That's not scalping.

I had bought two PAX badges in the past, and my friend couldn't make it. I immediately just sold the badge at face value to someone who needed it.

Scalping is buying the PAX badges for $95, and flipping them for $200-300 for a quick profit. Big difference.

• Options
    InscrutableGamerInscrutableGamer IDLE ACCOUNT Registered User regular

Yes, all "scalpers" are bad. If you are someone who purchased a ticket and no longer had the opportunity to go, technically you are not a scalper - you are an honest person trying to make some sort of return on an investment. Normally, that "return" is the PAX experience, but if you can't make that, might as well get some money. If you have the title of "scalper", it means you are actively purchasing PAX tickets with the intent of re-selling them at equal or higher price in order to make a profit.

Yeah, the entire process is annoying. People have been saying that forever. I believe there was a response at the top of this page that stated the three options from Penny Arcade when it comes to selling PAX tickets.
    It's lose-lose-lose all around for PA, so might as well pick the method that gets the most tickets to the highest number of legitimate fans.

PAX East 2015: Passes For All Days [X] -- Free Time [X] -- Pass For Girlfriend [X] -- Hype [X]
    PAX EAST 2015 IS A GO!
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular

That's not scalping.

I had bought two PAX badges in the past, and my friend couldn't make it. I immediately just sold the badge at face value to someone who needed it.

Scalping is buying the PAX badges for $95, and flipping them for $200-300 for a quick profit. Big difference.

I agree with your definition. Massachusetts does not.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    Well every year we have this same problem with scalpers and 3 day badges. This year was worse than last, and the badges were sold out in what.. 12 minutes? I know they don't have much control over this but we can try to stop it. Ebay doesn't have specific rules on ticket scalping. They go by the law of the location of the event.

That being said, in Massachusetts, you have to have a license to resell tickets and you can't sell them for more than 2 dollars over the face value. So we need to 1) Not buy tickets on Ebay ever. Don't give scalpers your money. And 2) report the listings. Site the law.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/consumer-prot-and-bus-lic/license-type/amusements/ticket-resellers-faqs.html

If Ebay doesn't care what we have to say, then we can try to get the state/city government involved. Maybe they'll initiate action. I know they are being sold in other places besides Ebay, and this might not help at all but it's worth a shot right? If enough of us make enough noise, maybe Ebay will start shutting these guys down.

The problem is that law is very old and never enforced. It's just a big grey area. They are allowed to sell tickets for no more than $2 over face value PLUS any attributable service charges.. And that last part is the issue. As those charges can be anything from the cost of running a business to the cost to procure those tickets.

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • Options
    Good point. I guess we can still try to get the MS government to stop being stupid about it but I doubt it will work. The only thing we can REALLY do is not buy tickets from scalpers. But yea.. .people are just going to keep doing it. Enjoy your 400.00 tickets everyone that got them from ebay. You're part of the problem.

• Options
    GenEdGenEd Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Personally, I don't think getting rid of the multi-day passes would eliminate anything. Instead of having a slight chance at paying a little less, we would all be in que to purchase numerous single day passes thus creating a run on them. That too is a no win situation. I may be "crazy", "obsessed" or damn "lucky" but I'm pushing the link site just like everyone else- which is more or less like a lottery. We all have other commitments, and someone will always have a more favorable chance- internet speeds included. In the words of Bruce Nolan, "And that's the way the cookie crumbles".

*No I don't like scalpers either. By scalpers I mean those who purchase tickets with the sole purpose of reselling at a higher market value. Regardless, they will exist in every domain for as long as there is demand.

GenEd on
  • Options
    Actually, the part about getting a license is still in there. Do all of these scalpers have licenses? I doubt it.

• Options
    TARBEAR2TARBEAR2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I will make this brief as I am beyond words when it comes to this years ticket sales. I have gone to PAX EAST since it started back at the Hynes convention center (which I agree does make me anything special). Where I am completely dumbfounded is how the organizers for this event can think giving people (ZERO) notice to ticket sales is anyway but completely disrespectful to the average everyday person who holds a 9-5 job.

I am not asking for preferential treatment due to my past attendance, but I want at least 24 hours to get a fair shot of scheduling my work day to to get in line with everyone else. Instead, I come out of an afternoon full of meetings to find PAX 3 days sold out, and more importantly Saturday as well.

TARBEAR2 on
  • Options
    cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So for my group of 8, I managed to get 4 three day passes easily but my friend didn't have the same luck. He entered the queue a bit late but by the time he got there single days were still available. He went to checkout and none of the credit cards he had on him were working for the site? Anyone else have this issue? He ended up only being able to get Friday and Sunday after entering queue a second time.

Second question would be, when the scalper passes go up for resale, can he buy those since he only got 4 Friday and Sunday?

cardkid123 on
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    bz_sleeper wrote: »
    I've never seen Sunday go to low volume so quickly. I remember in PAX East 2012, I bought a Sunday pass on the same weekend.

that year was an exception, as it was easter sunday. even the first pax east had sun badges sell out before the actual con weekend.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Finally i can relax, everything set and ready now the wait begins!.

Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
  • Options
    Actually, the part about getting a license is still in there. Do all of these scalpers have licenses? I doubt it.

True but MA does not enforce the law anymore. Heck you can stand right next to a cop at Fenway Park and sell your tickets right there.

And as far as people paying $400 for a ticket .. who really cares if people pay that. Obviously there is a demand at that price point ... let them buy them it's their money. So far I see less than 50 people selling tickets on ebay .. compared to how many go .. that's a very small percentage so far.

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    TARBEAR2 wrote: »
    I will make this brief as I am beyond words when it comes to this years ticket sales. I have gone to PAX EAST since it started back at the Hynes convention center (which I agree does make me anything special). Where I am completely dumbfounded is how the organizers for this event can think giving people (ZERO) notice to ticket sales is anyway but completely disrespectful to the average everyday person who holds a 9-5 job.

I am not asking for preferential treatment due to my past attendance, but I want at least 24 hours to get a fair shot of scheduling my work day to to get in line with everyone else. Instead, I come out of an afternoon full of meetings to find PAX 3 days sold out, and more importantly Saturday as well.
    PAX is popular. Not everyone will get to go every year.

• Options
    zeklinzeklin Registered User new member
    I need Saturday tickets -.-

• Options
    bz_sleeperbz_sleeper Registered User regular

I agree. For those that work (or have responsibilities during the day like caring for kids or whatever), we really can't be refreshing a website at 3 pm in the afternoon (even though many of us were). Sell them early in the morning or in the evening to give everyone a fair shot.

• Options
    SatoruSatoru Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I agree. For those that work (or have responsibilities during the day like caring for kids or whatever), we really can't be refreshing a website at 3 pm in the afternoon (even though many of us were). Sell them early in the morning or in the evening to give everyone a fair shot.

When? There is a timezone thing that makes morning/afternoon relative

Satoru on
  • Options

First up...I'm sorry you got shut out. That sucks, and it truly feel bad for you.

Second...last year was the first year of pre-notice...and it was, by all accounts...a debacle. Not just for us, on the side trying to get passes and hotels...but on the pa side, too. They've obviously decided that's a bigger headache than it's worth.

Third....all things considered...the nly other real option is a lottery, which is no more fair than the current first come/first serve basis.

I know...it's not what you want to hear right now...and it doesn't remove the sting one iota...but....paxeast is popular. Demand far outstrips supply. I fully expected to get locked out this year....as I fully expect to get locked out next year. All you can do is set twitter alerts to your phone, and pray life lets you make the mad rush with the rest f the salmon. No matter what system a adopts, life circumstances are going to exclude or disadvantage SOMEONE. It sucks...I get it.

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Satoru wrote: »

not to mention there are plenty of people who work or have class on early mornings or in the evenings, there's no perfect time that works for everyone. i'm guessing pax staff go with the time that works best for THEM, as they should.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Satoru wrote: »

The logicial thought would be "ET" what with the convention being on the east coast and all.

But yes, no time will be perfect for all parties. I was in the middle of a 2hr block of meetings at work today so I didn't get tickets. Thankfully I was covered through other friends who always buy the max # possible due to this sort of situation. I'd like to think a better system could be dreamed up, but it's a challenging problem.

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • Options

Different strokes for different folks.

No one time is going to be perfect for everyone. Some folks are busier in the mornings or evenings, with work, with kids, with whatever.

They are most certainly going to go live during normal business hours....probably for both coasts. That's 12 pm to 5pm, eastern. That's so support can be provided without being onerous on the various staff members.

• Options
    arsonisfun wrote: »
    [

The logicial thought would be "ET" what with the convention being on the east coast and all.

But the people providing support when stuff goes wrong aren't all in et.

• Options
    TARBEAR2TARBEAR2 Registered User regular
    pilferk wrote: »

First up...I'm sorry you got shut out. That sucks, and it truly feel bad for you.

Second...last year was the first year of pre-notice...and it was, by all accounts...a debacle. Not just for us, on the side trying to get passes and hotels...but on the pa side, too. They've obviously decided that's a bigger headache than it's worth.

Third....all things considered...the nly other real option is a lottery, which is no more fair than the current first come/first serve basis.

I know...it's not what you want to hear right now...and it doesn't remove the sting one iota...but....paxeast is popular. Demand far outstrips supply. I fully expected to get locked out this year....as I fully expect to get locked out next year. All you can do is set twitter alerts to your phone, and pray life lets you make the mad rush with the rest f the salmon. No matter what system a adopts, life circumstances are going to exclude or disadvantage SOMEONE. It sucks...I get it.

The answer is that they can do it, but are too cheap to put a system in place, ala Comic con. This is especially true when it comes to scalpers.

On the topic of sting, I literally see the Boston Convention center everday, and being cut out of a day due to their lack of commitment to serving the fan base in a fair and resonable way is very dissapointing.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I'd argue comic con isn't more fair...it simply prioritizes previous attendees. Which would be better for previous attendees....but not so much for new folks wanting to go.

Unless you're talking about NYCC.: http://theinsightfulpanda.com/2014/06/26/new-york-comic-con-ticket-sales-what-went-wrong/

Returning to the point that no system is really any better/fairer for everyone wanting to attend.

But, I get it...you're ticked off. Maybe not the time to discuss the finer points of the process...I hope something works out for you. I really do!

pilferk on