Options

2015 [registration] is LIVE! (sold out) - tickets are starting to arrive!

• Options
    JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    bz_sleeper wrote: »
    Or do away with 3-days altogether and everyone pays the same.

I don't want to see 3 days go away. A lot of people are suggesting that. That's not a solution. What I hear when someone says to get rid of 3 days is "If I can't have a 3 day, then no one should." I'm sure that's not what everyone is thinking, but it's a common thought when someone misses out on something desirable. It's the feeling of missing out on something, and that stings. I had the thought briefly when I missed out on Prime 2014 tickets. Not just 3 days, but passes completely.

By now it's really not about the money, its the collectible nature of a 3 day pass. That and so we don't have to deal with carrying 3 daily passes. It's also a nerd badge that says I worked really hard to get that pass in the small window they were available. Sure saving money is nice, but if a 3 day pass cost more than the 3 individual days I'd still want it.

JimmyWild on
  • Options
    RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    JimmyWild wrote: »

I don't want to see 3 days go away. A lot of people are suggesting that. That's not a solution. What I hear when someone says to get rid of 3 days is "If I can't have a 3 day, then no one should." I'm sure that's not what everyone is thinking, but it's a common thought when someone misses out on something desirable. It's the feeling of missing out on something, and that stings. I had the thought briefly when I missed out on Prime 2014 tickets. Not just 3 days, but passes completely.

By now it's really not about the money, its the collectible nature of a 3 day pass. That and so we don't have to deal with carrying 3 daily passes. It's also a nerd badge that says I worked really hard to get that pass in the small window they were available. Sure saving money is nice, but if a 3 day pass cost more than the 3 individual days I'd still want it.

The only thing anyone is saying is that removing 3 days is an actual way to increase the amount of people who will be able to go to at least one day of pax.

PW0oFIs.png
  • Options
    The only thing anyone is saying is that removing 3 days is an actual way to increase the amount of people who will be able to go to at least one day of pax.

I don't agree with that. Both in that 1. that is the real reason people want 3 days gone and 2. that it will increase the number of people get to go. People buying 3 day passes are going 3 days, not 1 or 2. If people want to go for 2 days, get 2 single day passes and save money. *shrug*

• Options
    cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular

I don't agree with that. Both in that 1. that is the real reason people want 3 days gone and 2. that it will increase the number of people get to go. People buying 3 day passes are going 3 days, not 1 or 2. If people want to go for 2 days, get 2 single day passes and save money. *shrug*

Easier said then done. I'm sure a lot of people buy the 3day passes and go 2 days. What's 5$ more when it comes to getting a momento and getting the convenience of only needing 1 pass.

• Options
    Pirate CaptainPirate Captain Registered User regular

I managed to get 3 day passes, but I still think they should go away. At the rate they sell out, and considering the scalper market, they don't really make a ton of sense. Plus, economically, PAX is leaving money on the table by offering them when it's obvious that they could sell out completely if they only had the single-day passes, and earn an extra $45 from the people who would otherwise buy the three day tickets. Better for PAX, and alleviates some of the rush and the scalper market. I only see it as a good thing.

It's also a good thing that PAX cares about the diversity of folks who attend and doesn't dramatically jack up the prices. If they only cared about money they would do some kind of graduated ticket sales, where the first week they go on sale they cost $500, and then $400 the second week, and so on until they sell out. That would get rid of the secondary market (mostly) and bring in a ton more money (possibly five times as much) but would be bad for the fans so I'm sure that's why they're not doing it.

• Options
    blAAAm!!!blAAAm!!! Cleveland, OhioRegistered User regular
    how long does it usually take for you to get charged on your credit card?

• Options
    Pirate CaptainPirate Captain Registered User regular
    blAAAm!!! wrote: »

Mine happened seconds after I put in the order. Depends on your card provider.

• Options
    blAAAm!!!blAAAm!!! Cleveland, OhioRegistered User regular
    blAAAm!!! wrote: »

Mine happened seconds after I put in the order. Depends on your card provider.

yea i thought mine would have posted by now, i am wondering if my billing address got screwed up. I have already emailed the pax support but have not heard back yet.

• Options
    cardkid123 wrote: »
    Easier said then done. I'm sure a lot of people buy the 3day passes and go 2 days. What's 5$ more when it comes to getting a momento and getting the convenience of only needing 1 pass.

Ok, maybe valid, but then points to the price being the problem. Not the fact that 3 day passes exist, but the value they may present. So make them more money.

Also, as stated before, there is no solution that doesn't take passes from one person and give them to another. Or hurts one group to benefit another. Since we can't increase the size and capacity of the convention center. So this takes the reward of hard work (and potentially luck) of people getting 3 day passes so that a non quantifiable number of people could get single day passes? We can't quantify the 3 day badge holders that only go 2 days since we don't actually scan in. We also can't quantify how many people get a 3 day pass, go 2 days, and then give the badge to a friend to go the 3rd day. Or any other scenario for that matter.

And I'm not trying to break Wheaton's Law here, just arguing that 3 day passes should stay an option.

• Options
    Bunta_FujiwaraBunta_Fujiwara Albany, NYRegistered User regular
    Well $40 shouldn't be a make or break but it's still a good chunk of change, especially for those not yet working full time or still in school. Consider that paying for 3 single days means almost a 50% increase in how much you have to spend compared to the 3-day. But anyways, I don't see any other way of doing it other than the way it was done this year. I mean last year, I couldn't even get into the queue until like 15-20 minutes later due to volume. Or do away with 3-days altogether and everyone pays the same.

But that's the thing, if 40 dollars makes it so you can't afford the con, then it's probably someone who shouldn't be spending their money on a video game convention. I went while I was in school full time and college full time. You know a year in advance when PAX is, start saving then. I have all the compassion in the world for people in that position, as I was there, but once again, 40 bucks should not be that big of a deal if you are planning to attend a con. If I looked at PAX saying 40 bucks would make or break it, I'd realize I have priorities and PAX wouldn't be one of them. Everyone had equal opportunity to buy the passes, as no one knew exactly when they were going on sale. Hell, a student, or someone not yet working full time would technically have had a better chance to have purchased 3 day passes, since they wouldn't be as occupied.

Not trying to sound heartless, it's just how this all goes. I've gone 4 years, 1 time had to buy tickets off ebay, while being a student, 2 times purchased while at work (in a very hectic busy job with no computer access), and this year I happened to be off. It's a gamble every year. Trust me, I wish everyone who wanted to go could go.

zmYaVYP.png
  • Options
    I managed to get 3 day passes, but I still think they should go away. At the rate they sell out, and considering the scalper market, they don't really make a ton of sense. Plus, economically, PAX is leaving money on the table by offering them when it's obvious that they could sell out completely if they only had the single-day passes, and earn an extra $45 from the people who would otherwise buy the three day tickets. Better for PAX, and alleviates some of the rush and the scalper market. I only see it as a good thing.

It's also a good thing that PAX cares about the diversity of folks who attend and doesn't dramatically jack up the prices. If they only cared about money they would do some kind of graduated ticket sales, where the first week they go on sale they cost $500, and then $400 the second week, and so on until they sell out. That would get rid of the secondary market (mostly) and bring in a ton more money (possibly five times as much) but would be bad for the fans so I'm sure that's why they're not doing it.

Ok, back to scalpers. This is a very small number of people that buy tickets in order to sell for a profit. And the end result is that the people that buy the tickets get to go to PAX. If they can afford to pay double the ticket price then good for them. I wont argue that people scalping tickets is actually a service, but it does allow people to buy tickets that missed out.

• Options
    bbartbbart Registered User new member
    Is it still worth going if I can only get Friday and Sunday passes, or is missing Saturday not too bad...?

• Options
    Ok, back to scalpers. This is a very small number of people that buy tickets in order to sell for a profit. And the end result is that the people that buy the tickets get to go to PAX. If they can afford to pay double the ticket price then good for them. I wont argue that people scalping tickets is actually a service, but it does allow people to buy tickets that missed out.
    Especially since pass prices drop way low the month of the con. I got my 3 day pass a few years back with express shipping for like 20 over cost.

zmYaVYP.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    bbart wrote: »
    Is it still worth going if I can only get Friday and Sunday passes, or is missing Saturday not too bad...?

Absolutely go for Fri/Sun. And if you have some cash and show up on Sat, you will find a ticket. Not having a Sat pass wont prevent you from doing a lot of the other activities on Sat. If it's parties or even some events that don't require a pass.

The only thing you may miss on Sat is a specific panel. But for the most part the convention floor will feature all the same stuff all three days.

JimmyWild on
  • Options
    It might just be because I wasnt looking for them, but I don't remember seeing anyone selling passes last year at East. I thought scalping was illegal in Boston?

• Options
    It might just be because I wasnt looking for them, but I don't remember seeing anyone selling passes last year at East. I thought scalping was illegal in Boston?

I may be confusing with Prime, but I'm pretty sure there are people at the convention center that will validate passes before you buy them from a scalper. To make sure they're not fake.

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular

Absolutely go for Fri/Sun. And if you have some cash and show up on Sat, you will find a ticket. Not having a Sat pass wont prevent you from doing a lot of the other activities on Sat. If it's parties or even some events that don't require a pass.

The only thing you may miss on Sat is a specific panel. But for the most part the convention floor will feature all the same stuff all three days.

Aye, I concur.

And at worst- you don't get a Saturday pass, that means you've got a Saturday free in *Boston*. There are far, far worse cities to have a free Saturday in.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    Especially since pass prices drop way low the month of the con. I got my 3 day pass a few years back with express shipping for like 20 over cost.

Yup, for sure. Just wait till passes arrive in people's hands, just before the show. The $400+ auctions that showed up yesterday will all fade away unsold. And if someone does buy them, that is the tax for panicking and not waiting. I wont say stupid tax, oh wait, i just did. lol :D

• Options
    The thing about the passes for sale right now is that the majority are scams. Ebay has a 45 day policy where you must report the item not recieved in that time or you will not get your money back. Since tickets won't even come earlier than 2 weeks before pax, the seller doesn't even have to send anything because the money is cleared by then.

It is more of an emotional buy that gets the better of people. They miss sales and immediately turn to ebay and buy 1 for comfort. In order to not get scammed, most of the tickets sold 2 weeks before the convention are legit on ebay. They are also less expensive at that point because it is real people trying to recoup their losses when they realize they can't make it.

So my only tip is for those of you that still want to go, book your hotel, book your transportation and then buy your tickets last minute on ebay.

• Options
    bz_sleeperbz_sleeper Registered User regular

Would this be your first time to PAX? Because it doesn't matter which day you go if you're going for the first time (or really anytime), it's awesome. Yeah, it's worth it. The benefit of going on Fri or Sat is that the convention center stays open later because there are concerts and things so you do get more out of those days. Also merchandise and giveaways may run out by Sunday.

Sunday on the other hand can be less crowded. They have Omegathon final which can be fun. Also, panels are spread out over the weekend so some very good ones could be on Fri or Sunday.

If you are traveling to Boston and can't go Saturday, you can still go sightseeing or skiing. Make it a weekend trip.

• Options
    bbartbbart Registered User new member
    Yeah this is my first time, thanks for the feedback, I'll do Friday and Sunday and see Boston Saturday!

• Options

I'll also add, in the past I've only been able to go on specific days and not all 3 and never have I said it wasn't worth it. You will always find something worth seeing the day you go. Even panels you never intend to check out can turn out interesting.

• Options
    zoidbergzoidberg Registered User regular
    That crap sells out so fast. It's unfortunate because I bet something like 50% of the 3 day passes are now being scalped on ebay. Kind of pisses me off. So the same amount of people are going to come, but the scalpers get an extra hundred bucks. And Joe Schmo now needs to pay double or triple? Not cool.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    zoidberg wrote: »
    That crap sells out so fast. It's unfortunate because I bet something like 50% of the 3 day passes are now being scalped on ebay. Kind of pisses me off. So the same amount of people are going to come, but the scalpers get an extra hundred bucks. And Joe Schmo now needs to pay double or triple? Not cool.

50% of them? You're insane.

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014

I think in the past, they said something like the average amount of weekend passes per transaction is 2.63. If 50% were sold to scalpers, that average would trend considerably higher, I'd think.

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    zoidbergzoidberg Registered User regular

I may be exaggerating but you get the point. There are hundreds of 3 day passes that will be scalped for $200+. You're insane if you're OK with that. There are easy ways for PAX to limit the amount of scalpers, but they probably don't have an issue with selling out in an hour.

• Options
    There are 86 total badge auctions on ebay. Thats between 3 day, single day, etc. Don't they sell 70,000 passes total or something? C'mon, there really isn't that much scalping this year, 86 is a fraction of a drop in the bucket.

zmYaVYP.png
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular

I may be exaggerating but you get the point. There are hundreds of 3 day passes that will be scalped for $200+. You're insane if you're OK with that. There are easy ways for PAX to limit the amount of scalpers, but they probably don't have an issue with selling out in an hour.

You make it sound like pax is the only thing that gets scalped. It's reality, unfortunately there's no real way to prevent it so learn to deal with it like everyone else.

• Options
    Drowning RabbitDrowning Rabbit New HampshireRegistered User regular
    There are 86 total badge auctions on ebay. Thats between 3 day, single day, etc. Don't they sell 70,000 passes total or something? C'mon, there really isn't that much scalping this year, 86 is a fraction of a drop in the bucket.

That's just the people trying to cash in on it now, once people have their hands on their badges I'm sure we'll see WAY more badges go up. =\

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular

actually, making 3-day passes cost MORE than 3 single days is one of the cleverest ideas i've heard. in general i think the way pax does things now is totally fine, but that's an idea i could get on board with. reduce the number of 3-days a bit and make them cost more, so you're paying for convenience and a collectible, and people won't feel compelled to buy a 3-day pass if they aren't actually going all three days because it'd be a total waste of money. i'd still buy one if it cost a little more (and i DO go all three days). i really think it's an idea worth entertaining.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    The thing about the passes for sale right now is that the majority are scams. Ebay has a 45 day policy where you must report the item not recieved in that time or you will not get your money back. Since tickets won't even come earlier than 2 weeks before pax, the seller doesn't even have to send anything because the money is cleared by then.

It is more of an emotional buy that gets the better of people. They miss sales and immediately turn to ebay and buy 1 for comfort. In order to not get scammed, most of the tickets sold 2 weeks before the convention are legit on ebay. They are also less expensive at that point because it is real people trying to recoup their losses when they realize they can't make it.

So my only tip is for those of you that still want to go, book your hotel, book your transportation and then buy your tickets last minute on ebay.

This is pretty much my plan. I have no money for passes until next week, which I assume everything will be gone by then. So I decided to focus more on getting the reservation and figuring out the pass situation later. I got a pass for Prime only slightly above cost like a few weeks before, so I know its doable. No sense in doing it now with ridiculous ebay prices.

XyqJPIp.png
  • Options
    GausGaus Registered User regular

I see what you did there Bunta.

Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun
  • Options
    tvethiopia wrote: »

actually, making 3-day passes cost MORE than 3 single days is one of the cleverest ideas i've heard. in general i think the way pax does things now is totally fine, but that's an idea i could get on board with. reduce the number of 3-days a bit and make them cost more, so you're paying for convenience and a collectible, and people won't feel compelled to buy a 3-day pass if they aren't actually going all three days because it'd be a total waste of money. i'd still buy one if it cost a little more (and i DO go all three days). i really think it's an idea worth entertaining.

Having 3-day passes cost more only makes sense if it were part of some collectible package (Limited to 10,000!!!). Kind of like buying the collector's edition of a game, you get action figures or a T-shirt thrown in but it all costs more. But if the pass is just going to get you in, it needs to be less than the cost of 3 single day passes for a 3-day pass to make sense.

• Options
    shepdshepd Registered User regular
    Considering I have 10 hours of travel to PAX, and I'm coming from another country, and all that means extra night of hotel, I would not attend if I could not secure all three days.

Expecting that attendance to increase because more people get individual days may have the opposite effect, or, perhaps more likely, may cause PAX to have to exist in many more places, since it would localize who is willing to visit to MA and surrounding states.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    If someone is actually salty about having to buy 3 single days for collection purposes, let me know and I'll mail you my 3 day for your collection, as it will otherwise go into the trash after day 3.

• Options
    SatoruSatoru Registered User regular

Sure its worth it. The show floor is open. Tabletop is open. There are still panels going on all day. The console free play area is a blast. or you can dance your way to infamy on any number of Dance Center areas. Friday still has concerts as well.

• Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    If someone is actually salty about having to buy 3 single days for collection purposes, let me know and I'll mail you my 3 day for your collection, as it will otherwise go into the trash after day 3.

That is very gracious of you to make that offer, hopefully someone will take you up on it.

• Options
    Gaus wrote: »
    I see what you did there Bunta.
    Totally wasn't intentional, was the amount at the time haha.
    Having 3-day passes cost more only makes sense if it were part of some collectible package (Limited to 10,000!!!). Kind of like buying the collector's edition of a game, you get action figures or a T-shirt thrown in but it all costs more. But if the pass is just going to get you in, it needs to be less than the cost of 3 single day passes for a 3-day pass to make sense.

That won't fix the problem though, all it will do is make single days sell out just as fast as 3 days. The demand would barely change.

zmYaVYP.png
  • Options
    jrdobbsjrdobbs Registered User regular
    did anyone experience the "sold out" status when you selected the "get tickets" but then after refreshing the page several times it then proceeded to the payment page? this happened to me but I initially had 4 tickets selected and then it reverted to 1 ticket. I was eventually able to purchase the 1 ticket but I have not idea why it did this. I was in the queue within 3 min of the tweet and it proceeded quickly to the selection page where I saw 4 available tickets in the drop-down but then it just would not allow me to purchase them. servers must have been smokin by that time. at least I am able to attend again this year. i know its not a perfect system but not sure there is any truly fair way to do this.

as far as continuing to offer 3-days, there is one reason that makes them necessary and that is BYOC. you can also get 3 x 1-days but when you add it all up there is premium paid by those attendees due to that requirement so having a little discount helps. i wish there was better coordination between PAX/BYOC teams to bundle this as a package. just my $0.02.

thanks again for choosing BCEC-Boston for this con.

Get Slack

JR
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Phew, I just managed to get my Friday badge for me and my nephews!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)