As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Not an ending, but a mending

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    When do we get Doctor in Distress for the modern era?

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Thought I'd dig out my Trial of a Time Lord DVDs to watch Chris Chibnall criticise Doctor Who on a BBC show from 1986 in glasses almost as big as his head (no, seriously). Sure, it's three decades on, so he might be a completely different person, but it's interesting to see him talking about the show returning from its 1985 hiatus without any significant change and how it's still "very clichéd, it was very routine... running up and down corridors and silly monsters". And then the host of the show basically goes "Aren't you all a bit old for a kid's show?" and he talks about how the show can be more adult and entertaining and dramatic.

It's actually a really interesting segment because it shows that Doctor Who's got this long history of being accused of getting too complicated or being too 'monster of the week' or just being a show for kids.
    If Capaldi is pandering then bring on more fucking pandering

I suspect they were more referring to accusations of pandering than accusing it themselves (Twitter character limit and all that).

• Options
    Gustav wrote: »

I swear if this happens and they don't get Hans Zimmer in for keyboard again... *shakes fist*

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Gustav wrote: »

I swear if this happens and they don't get Hans Zimmer in for keyboard again... *shakes fist*

Hahah oh my god I forgot this tidbit.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I'm watching the Season 8 Blu-Ray and I'm up to Time Heist. In the scene where Psi baits the Teller by broadcasting pictures of notorious criminals I thought I'd go frame by frame to identify them. They are:

Some dude
    Some other dude (crew members getting a cameo perhaps?)
    A Sensorite
    Androvax (Having not seen the Sarah Jane Adventures yet I do not want to tell you how long it took me to look this one up)
    Some other other dude
    The Gunslinger
    A Terileptil
    Captain John Hart
    Abslom Daak
    An Ice Warrior
    A Slitheen
    A Weevil (one of the galaxy's most wanted criminals? Really?)

I think there were a couple more after this but the camera was at an angle and Psi's arm was in the way. Still... Abslom Daak is canon now, technically. That's... something.

Butler on
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Because apparently 'tis the season for not being able to watch this show, Doctor Who is leaving Netflix.

You've got five days left, folks.

Butler on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Because apparently 'tis the season for not being able to watch this show, Doctor Who is leaving Netflix.

You've got five days left, folks.

Not shocking theyve been struggling to keep big BBC stuff

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    There was a time a while back where Netflix was about to lose them but managed to renew at the very last minute somehow.

However, if they do lose them, all the classic stuff they had was available on Hulu Plus, and a lot of them were on Amazon Prime as well.

When I was watching Classic Doctor Who, I made a checklist that showed me which streaming services had which ones so I could try and watch as many as possible without missing any. Netflix didn't have any exclusively to it. Hulu Plus had a bunch of exclusives, and Amazon Prime had a couple.

My checklist didn't have modern Who on it since I'd already seen that, so there may be more differences there.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    capaldi was the entire reason I started watching nu-who in any sort of serious capacity

i'd be pretty sad to see him go

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    If he is going they have to tread carefully with how and when they announce it. Speculation about the casting of 13 will be all anyone talks about then, and it would drown out their efforts to promote the upcoming season and specials.

• Options
    I'd love for them to pull a surprise regeneration, but I'm sure someone would be intent on ruining the surprise for the rest of us.

• Options
    Cyvros wrote: »
    I'd love for them to pull a surprise regeneration, but I'm sure someone would be intent on ruining the surprise for the rest of us.

They sort-of did at the end of season four. They just kept the same actor in the role :rotate:

Continuing with what I was talking about before, "news stories" like this are already doing the rounds. It's exactly the kind of tedious and content-free journalism that regeneration speculation always produces. I'd swear there was a self-publishing article template somewhere that gets randomly populated with the name of whichever British actors are currently doing well in the Google search rankings.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    If he is going they have to tread carefully with how and when they announce it. Speculation about the casting of 13 will be all anyone talks about then, and it would drown out their efforts to promote the upcoming season and specials.

Fortunately, they dodged that bullet by not having any new Who to air this year.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    The Xmas special counts as new

10 months and 15 days until new Who!

• Options
    No word on the Classic episodes, though?

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I really hope it's back on Netflix or Hulu soon.

Also I hope they put more classic episodes up.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I really hope it's back on Netflix or Hulu soon.

Also I hope they put more classic episodes up.

I'm going to assume that if it went off Netflix and is coming back on Prime, it's probably not going to be back on Netflix or Hulu any time soon.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Okay, I think I've scraped together enough tidbits of news to warrant bumping this thread.

- "Class" starts filming in April, and Peter Capaldi as The Doctor will be making at least one cameo. There's also been some rumblings that the whole season might drop at once on the BBC3 website, a la Netflix, as they've done this for some of their other in-house programming.

- Rakhee Thakrar could be the next companion. Only a rumour at this point, but she had a plum gig on Eastenders and you don't bail on a job like that unless you have something better lined up.

For those unfamiliar with Rakhee (as I was until five minutes ago), here she is with some possibly portentous neckwear.
    RAKHEE-THAKRAR-428765.jpg

Butler on
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    Alright so arguably this is somewhat negated by the 50th, but I was watching Parting of The Ways and I got thinking.

So you could say that some doctors have a pre-emptive moment before a regeneration.  Four had the Watcher, Ten was the four knocks. Sometimes it's slight, like the vision fade for thre fifth doctor at the end of Part 3 of Androzani.

I think Nine saw his when he lent his head against the door in parting of the ways. At that moment he felt that everything he'd done, every but of blood on his hands was for nought.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Oldish, but Peter Capaldi has been asked to stay on, though he has understandably not given a firm answer yet. He doesn't seem terribly happy with how the BBC has treated the show, which I would imagine is the main thing tempering his otherwise unbridled enthusiasm for the franchise.

Repeated timeslot shuffling and "resting" the show are things the BBC has done to the DW in the past, mostly during the Davison/C.Baker years. It tends to create a self-fulfilling prophecy of diminished interest: People don't tune in because they don't know when it's on, ratings fall, this is used to justify moving the timeslot again, etc. etc. It's hard to shake the feeling that someone higher up has the TARDIS in their crosshairs.

Butler on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Seasons 1-8 will be exclusively available to stream on Amazon Video starting March 27, with Season 9 coming on September 6 2016 and ‘The Husbands of River Song’ following on September 25.

• Options
    But what about Classic Who?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    But what about Classic Who?

I'm partial to 'The Who Sell Out", personally. I Can See for Miles is a fantastic song, Silus Stingy deserves more radio play, and the fake ads are delightful.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The first casting for "Class" has been leaked (sort of). Some extremely generic looking young white dude called Greg Austin. British TV fans may be more familiar with him. Yay?

There's to be a proper set of announcements about the show later in the week, with shooting still set to begin in April.

• Options
    Oldish, but Peter Capaldi has been asked to stay on, though he has understandably not given a firm answer yet. He doesn't seem terribly happy with how the BBC has treated the show, which I would imagine is the main thing tempering his otherwise unbridled enthusiasm for the franchise.

Repeated timeslot shuffling and "resting" the show are things the BBC has done to the DW in the past, mostly during the Davison/C.Baker years. It tends to create a self-fulfilling prophecy of diminished interest: People don't tune in because they don't know when it's on, ratings fall, this is used to justify moving the timeslot again, etc. etc. It's hard to shake the feeling that someone higher up has the TARDIS in their crosshairs.

If they want Capaldi to stay then I wonder how much faith they actually have in the new show runner. Also I'm glad he's being vocal about the crap they're pulling

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    He wasn't vocal about anything in that interview other than "Maybe!". He say something else somewhere?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I don't even remember what Class is

• Options
    Diana Gabaldon will be writing an episode for Series 10. She's most known for writing Outlander, a show loosely inspired by Second Doctor companion Jamie McCrimmon, who she might be interested in bringing back...

Time is a flat circle.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Damn you April Fools Day.
    Added spoiler because kinda large.

Qanamil on
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Oh damn it, I want that to be real.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Oh damn it, I want that to be real.

I didn't even consider it to be fake at first because Christmas Specials do fun things! Ugh.

• Options
    Re: That spoiler'd twitter.
    The logo for that image heavily implies him to be the 14th Doctor.

I wonder if whoever created the image was thinking there would somehow be two regenerations by the end of this year, or if they were still counting the War Doctor despite Capaldi having been repeatedly referred to as the 12th Doctor.

Or if they just flat out messed up the numbering.

On another note, it's weird to see that the top reply is from...Konami?

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I don't even remember what Class is

Nobody does

• Options
    edited April 2016
    More casting details for Class. Nigel Betts will also be reprising his role from "The Caretaker" as Mr. Armitage.

EDIT: Oh, and shooting begins later this week.

Butler on
  • Options
    The Doctor's new companion will be announced this Saturday... during half-time of Match of The Day?

My money's still on Rakhee Thakrar. If it's not her it's a very well kept secret because no other names are even being bandied about.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    That is some A+ Show-Announcement synergy right there.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I won't be disappointed if it's Thakrar, she's a great change of pace for a companion.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I just realised how great Bruce Campbell would be. Maybe? Or terrible?