As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Not an ending, but a mending

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    The Village of the Angels
    Good: Well, there was that moment where... uh... nope. I got nothin'.
    EDIT: Actually, the one thing I liked was the idea that changing forms (solid to image to solid) costs angels energy, so they can't just do it whenever. The whole "image of an angel = actual angel" thing is one of Moffat's most broken, nonsense ideas, but he got away with it by being relatively restrained in how often he used it.

Bad:
    Look. All you have to do, all you have to do to make Weeping Angels a credible threat, is not have multiple observers clustered together facing down one or more angels approaching from a single direction. So of course that's exactly the scenario that Chibnall* repeatedly creates in this episode, and the danger instead arises from all the protagonists doing the dumbest thing possible, or the angels suddenly manifesting a random new power, or both. Over and over.

Other:
    The Doctor's a Weeping Angel now. This is filed under "other" because it doesn't mean anything. Next week Captain Jack pops out from behind a rock and zaps her with a de-angeliser ray and we have the whole thing wrapped up before the opening credits.

*Yes, I'm letting co-writer Maxine Alderton completely off the hook for this one. She wrote Villa Diodati, that earns her a get-out-of-jail-free card and a hotel on Mayfair.

Butler on
  • Options
    hnnnnnnnng Survivors of the Flux
    Previously on "Old man shouts at the TV":
    Butler wrote: »
    Other:
    The Doctor's a Weeping Angel now. This is filed under "other" because it doesn't mean anything. Next week Captain Jack pops out from behind a rock and zaps her with a de-angeliser ray and we have the whole thing wrapped up before the opening credits.

Ahahahaha oh my god they actually used a de-angeliser ray. I'm fucking DYING over here. The whole thing was trivially resolved in the first four minutes, and it really did mean nothing. The Doctor could have just teleported to Tecteun's ship (which looked amazing by the way) for all the difference it made.

Other than that... well, I liked Yaz's scene with the Doctor's holo-recording.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    It feels bad that I feel so good about completely skipping this series and the specials next year.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    The Village of the Angels
    Good: Well, there was that moment where... uh... nope. I got nothin'.
    EDIT: Actually, the one thing I liked was the idea that changing forms (solid to image to solid) costs angels energy, so they can't just do it whenever. The whole "image of an angel = actual angel" thing is one of Moffat's most broken, nonsense ideas, but he got away with it by being relatively restrained in how often he used it.

Bad:
    Look. All you have to do, all you have to do to make Weeping Angels a credible threat, is not have multiple observers clustered together facing down one or more angels approaching from a single direction. So of course that's exactly the scenario that Chibnall* repeatedly creates in this episode, and the danger instead arises from all the protagonists doing the dumbest thing possible, or the angels suddenly manifesting a random new power, or both. Over and over.

Other:

*Yes, I'm letting co-writer Maxine Alderton completely off the hook for this one. She wrote Villa Diodati, that earns her a get-out-of-jail-free card and a hotel on Mayfair.

Yeah, the Weeping Angels are one of the quickest moves from "Creatively chilling TV monster" to "Ugh, again?" that I can recall in terms of episode count (granted, this is helped by Who only having a dozen or so episodes a year).
    They started off really cool with the subtle breaking of the fourth wall. They aren't moving on the screen because you, the audience viewer, can see them. It was never stated outright, but it was a fun implication to play with.
    It's a delightfully subtle creepy thing that's completely destroyed later when you do see them move setting that fourth wall firmly back in place, then applying an extra thick layer of mortar and maybe some rebar reinforcement.

And then they went with the whole "picture of an angel becomes an angel" thing, and made it worse with "well, you've got an image in your mind, so now you're becoming an angel too". It's only a matter of time before they remember that the average alien on Dr. Who has two eyes, and thus the angel population should be expanding at an exponential rate consuming the entire universe in an unending tide of weeping angels until all that's left are angels starving to death because there's nobody left to send back in time. I mean, if an image of an angel is an angel, and anyone who sees that angel becomes an angel (twice, because each eye is individually capturing and copying the quantum waveform!) then anyone who sees that new angel...

Oh well, I changed my cable sub and lost BBC. So I won't be able to continue watching. Not terribly broken up to be honest.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Pleasantly delighted to see Aisling Bea in Eve of the Daleks

Always love her on QI and such.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
  • Options
    It certainly is! Not a crossover I would have expected, but what the hell, happy exterminating!

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    So uh...I just saw the news about the BBC licensing stuff, which I do not completely understand as an American. Is it going to kill Doctor Who?

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    What news is this? I had a quick look at "Doctor Who" news results and couldn't see anything.

• Options
    MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    I took a look around and saw a few stories saying that they're planning to get rid of the licensing fee (TV Tax?) for a few years five years from now and that it's the BBC's main income. I'm not a Brit, so I'll leave the veracity and implications to others who know more to determine:
    Article from The Guardian

• Options
    Maclay wrote: »
    I took a look around and saw a few stories saying that they're planning to get rid of the licensing fee (TV Tax?) for a few years five years from now and that it's the BBC's main income. I'm not a Brit, so I'll leave the veracity and implications to others who know more to determine:
    Article from The Guardian

Oh shits

Well Doctor Who might do okay, it's one of their most popular shows

That's still really fucked up though

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/9rcfvF2fKTU

Comic-book reviewer Linkara has done Doctor Who comics before but this week has his first DW episode review, his Patreon followers choosing from three picks the final story of the Fourth Doctor.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Trailer for the final Thirteen/Chibs Era episode, has a spoilery thumbnail!
    https://youtu.be/BHhjMjqy7dU

Tegan and Ace! The Lone Cyberman! The Master! Thirteen's regeneration!

I'm sure Chibs will manage to balance these heavy duty spinning plates with his usual care and attention.

Those effects look pretty good. Not that VFX continuity has ever been the show's strong point, but going off of Eleven and Twelve's regenerations, Thirteen must have been holding it back for some time to get that red n' liquid looking energy.

Wonder if "Yaz" is gonna be her last word? :disappointed:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    They've filmed the regeneration and the next Doctor hasn't leaked yet? Come on

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Trailer for the final Thirteen/Chibs Era episode, has a spoilery thumbnail!
    https://youtu.be/BHhjMjqy7dU

Tegan and Ace! The Lone Cyberman! The Master! Thirteen's regeneration!

I'm sure Chibs will manage to balance these heavy duty spinning plates with his usual care and attention.

Those effects look pretty good. Not that VFX continuity has ever been the show's strong point, but going off of Eleven and Twelve's regenerations, Thirteen must have been holding it back for some time to get that red n' liquid looking energy.

Wonder if "Yaz" is gonna be her last word? :disappointed:
    "Now Ace, this is very important: My face may have changed but my policy on weapons hasn't. No knives, no guns, and definitely no explosives."

"But Professor-"

"Under no circumstances should you bring the three Nitro-9 grenades in the TARDIS' auxiliary workshop, third door on the right, second shelf under the fishbowl scrapers. Wink."

"... Did you just say 'wink?'"

"Yeah. Sorry. Subtlety's been on the fritz this go 'round."

Butler on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    They've filmed the regeneration and the next Doctor hasn't leaked yet? Come on

Or the last scene is just the regeneration glow and they haven't cast them yet

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    A few months ago, I heard the next Doctor was supposed to be...
    ...David Tennant again, though not playing the Tenth Doctor but a new Doctor with the same face. However, he'll only be around for a few specials while Davies settles back in and then he'll regenerate again to set up the new Doctor for the next full series.

I wrote it off as fans wishful thinking at the time, but then haven't heard anything else since then.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    ...David Tennant again, though not playing the Tenth Doctor but a new Doctor with the same face. However, he'll only be around for a few specials while Davies settles back in and then he'll regenerate again to set up the new Doctor for the next full series.

I wrote it off as fans wishful thinking at the time, but then haven't heard anything else since then.

See
    I made a joke earlier about her regenning into Tennant, then going "lol, just kidding" and changing again as a dumb goof that probably wouldn't happen. hrm

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm going to try to stay unspoiled on the next Doctor actor.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »

I believe the theory goes that
    Thirteen's final episode ends with a cliffhanger regeneration, and then the 60th Anniversary specials would take place in her mind / memories or something. So Tennant wouldn't be playing the Fourteenth Doctor, just wheel spinning so the next Doctor doesn't have to carry a big anniversary event, and the end of those specials we'd see Thirteen actually regenerate.

Personally I'd prefer we just get some Meta Crisis Doctor for a year, but...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    For personal wants, I'll say the same thing I said for the last regeneration: the only white guy that I'd be okay with playing the next Doctor is Anthony Head, as I'd like him to get a shot before he's too old. Otherwise, no more white guys.

Although that recent Matt Berry video did give me something to think about.

• Options
    A season where doctor who is ricocheting between previous regenerations could be fun

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    bring 9 back

he was my first doctor and will always be the coolest

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6nXLSkqAUo

Depressperado on
  • Options
    Legend of the Sea Devils
    It was okay. Some good bits, some very ropey bits. Unlike much of Flux I at least was able to follow where people where and why, though I was frequently left wondering why they weren't somewhere else instead.

Also, why was there a map inside some random chunk of stone that Madam Ching hacked off the statue? It was a map, wasn't it, or a compass or something? For the life of me I couldn't figure out what was going on there.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My attempt to not find out who the next Doctor is lasted all of zero seconds.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Huzzah! I’ve not watched Sex Education but someone mentioned he was in a Horrible Histories episode, gonna have to look that up

Butler on
  • Options
  • Options
    I figure this will be helpful. Cool ass name.

https://youtu.be/Hrjxa-kBIrI

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    It’s always more fun when I have no idea who the new Doctor is. Hell yeah

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    He looks so young that it makes me think it's going to be a very zany 10 and 11 type, which makes sense. The problem is nobody cares about the current incarnation of the show, and those two eras generated the most deranged enthusiasm on social media. IDK maybe I'm wrong but I was hoping for something a little more surprising

• Options
    Oh that’s cool, is SE any good?

• Options
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    Oh that’s cool, is SE any good?

It is! It's cute and has a lot of fun with a pretty large cast of people to put in the old soap-ish relationship blender. And on occasion decent provides decent sex education!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Yasmin Finney from a show I'm never going to watch is joining as a character named Rose. They're going all in on bringing in actors already popular with the youths. She's also trans. I hope she's named Rose for no reason just because Doctor Who is supposed to be confusing.

Coinage on
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxaDzBPBuP8

Ten more days!

Also, don't know how to embed this but there's an interview with RTD here where he talks about the kind of tone he wants to strike with the next season of the show.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/events/climate-creatives-2022/russell-t-davies-in-conversation-charlotte-moore/

• Options
    I hope she gets to go out on a high note. She was a great Doctor, just hampered by bad stories. But unlike Capaldi her later seasons didn't pick up.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
  • Options
    Chris you absolute madlad