As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Not an ending, but a mending

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    was the guy asking "what is going on" in thr next series trailer the real next doctor?

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »
    was the guy asking "what is going on" in thr next series trailer the real next doctor?
    Yes

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    Yes
    Consider though, what if Davies had brought Tennant back in and never referenced the Moffat and Chibnall years again

What a fucking power move that would have been

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Well, that was about 100,000% better than I was expecting. Holy shit, that made The Day of The Doctor look like a bottle episode.

I can't help thinking there might have been an uncredited second writer on this one. But even if there was, I still give full credit to Chibnall for getting the whole thing from script to screen. What a magnificent return-to-form for my favourite show :)

One very minor thing that didn't quite make sense to me:
    The Master's body-stealing plan. I mean, there IS a good reason he would do that - a body with infinite regenerations is a huge upgrade - but the Doctor's unlimited rice pudding regenerations aren't stated as the reason, it's supposedly because the Master wants to trash her reputation. So then... why does he keep his current face? Shouldn't he have done a straight body-swap and kept her face, and gone around the universe kicking space-puppies and making kittens explode with the sonic? If all he needs to do is call himself the Doctor and have a police-box TARDIS, he could have done that any time he wanted.

I suspect that a body-swap was the original intention, but someone at the BBC wouldn't sign off on "the Doctor" appearing to become evil, regardless of the in-story justification, so what we got was a late-game rewrite.

Butler on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    There was quite a bit of speculation back before Series 10 aired about the evil looking Doctor in the trailer being the Master in disguise, via regenerating into him...

o3pkl99ijta7.jpg
    'course that didn't pan out but I wonder if it inspired this particular episode.

Also lol consistency - thought the Master destroyed Gallifrey in his outrage upon learning a tiny piece of the Doctor was inside him, but he's cool with putting his entire mind in her body?

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Power of the Doctor
    That was a stuffed episode. May have more thoughts later, but I was a little surprised the rumor about Tennant turned out to be true.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Yes
    Consider though, what if Davies had brought Tennant back in and never referenced the Moffat and Chibnall years again

Ok I get people hate Moffat for whatever reasons but his years are largely why the show still exists

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Yes

Ok I get people hate Moffat for whatever reasons but his years are largely why the show still exists

I'm fine with people hating on the Moffat era, it lets me know who I can mute

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    LKBuDSzh.jpg

If you're into Fall Guys, then you might like these. There's one more skin but it's connected to spoilers to the ending of 'The Power Of The Doctor'.

• Options
    For a couple of months there I was an absolute fiend for Fall Guys but the lag and constant crashes of the Switch port eventually made it unplayable for me. Probably a good thing because I might have cracked and paid whatever stupid amount these skins cost if I were still in.

• Options
    HELL yes

Now give me a team up with Sean Pertwee as the Third Doctor that’s just 45 minutes of them judo-throwing Zygons.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/FR7F8j5Hkdk

A little surprised these appear to be 3 separate stories rather than a big 3-parter!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Options
    I wonder if the Ncuti Gatwa Doctor is going to be played as straight. I am getting a straight vibe from him. They seem to be doing something similar to David Tennant.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I just wish I could regenerate in real life. My body is failing me badly.

• Options
    I get the impression that they are kind of doing another Rose Tyler thing.

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I just wish I could regenerate in real life. My body is failing me badly.

It doesn't turn out well for humans

• Options
    That looks cool as hell. I hope U.N.I.T. actually get to survive this one!

• Options
    I guess Unit got a new building already.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It's very 'Avengers' inspired. I like it. 😎

• Options
    Are these new episodes gonna be on Disney+ or whatever or and I gonna need to get them on a pay site?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The little furry alien guy looks exactly like one from an old Marvel Doctor Who comic.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    The little furry alien guy looks exactly like one from an old Marvel Doctor Who comic.

I believe it is in fact the same one

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Yeah one of the episodes is a sort of adaptation of The Star Beast. That’s Beep the Meep. Some of the giant green grasshopper dudes are part of that story as well.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options

This is their second new one, the previous one was destroyed off-screen when a probability field spasm made everyone slip on the same banana peel at once.

• Options
    Butler wrote: »

This is their second new one, the previous one was destroyed off-screen when a probability field spasm made everyone slip on the same banana peel at once.
    https://youtu.be/nSxdEbkLmdo

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »

Freakin' Zaphod...

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    New special for BBC Children in Need, introduces a redesigned villain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfLtAdSgWPQ

• Options
    BTW that guy (Julien Bleach) does such a good Davros because he is Davros - he's played him in all Davros' onscreen outings since 2008.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Y'know, of all the ways for David Tennant to come crashing back into Doctor Who, I didn't expect him to plunge right in.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Y'know, of all the ways for David Tennant to come crashing back into Doctor Who, I didn't expect him to plunge right in.

Funny thing, that's not even the first story as Doctor Who Magazine was allowed to do the first story in the form of a comic over several issues. Someone came along and did a non-voice, limited animation video collecting it all.

https://youtu.be/9EBADFfo5D8

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Adbbi8kNqw

Comic-book reviewer Linkara is dedicating a few weeks of Atop The Fourth Wall to Doctor Who, starting with a classic story from the 7th Doctor's era.

• Options
    First episode of the 60th Anniversary Specials is up on Disney+ now in the US, not sure about other areas.

• Options
    Finished it.

Non-spoiler thoughts:
    • They're really showing off that budget.
    • Sonic Screwdriver got more powerful.
    • Meep.
    • They're really showing off that budget.

Spoiler thoughts:
    • 14 doesn't seem that different from 10 so far.
    • They don't explicitly establish how long the Doctor has been the 14th, to leave room for some Big Finish stories or other side content to slide in or something.
    • They brought back Doctor Donna.
    • Brand new Tardis set looks nice, and then they immediately blow it up. I assume it will repair itself to the same set though.
    • Didn't see NPH anywhere, but there was a reference that was probably talking about his character.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Behind the Scenes for Special Episode 1!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWnPxke0row

[IMG][/img]
  • Options

Hello sexy. *drools in astrophysicist*.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    That was fun. I liked the new Tardis interior also.
    Is it weird that there's a bunch of wordplay on non-binary about a trans character? She's a trans woman who as far as I caught went by she/her etc.