As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Not an ending, but a mending

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    In the first episode of Loki:
    ”Are you that criminal that travels in the blue box?”
    I missed that. Who said it?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    In the first episode of Loki:
    ”Are you that criminal that travels in the blue box?”
    I missed that. Who said it?
    I think he was saying WITH the blue box, he's the one who was filing away the tesseract

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Someone on reddit pointed out that every time the Doctor is Scottish, an arrow gets shot at and stuck in the TARDIS door:

Seven: Silver Nemesis
    Ten: The Shakespeare Code
    Twelve: Robot of Sherwood

I just needed to share this with people

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Edge of Reality launches September 30th. And there'll be a Switch version! I can actually play a non-mobile Doctor Who game for once!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aVXB-tryYo

Butler on
  • Options
    Series 13 trailer (0:59)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNb51OwYO6M
    That was... weirdly edited. But Jacob Anderson will be in S13, so that's cool at least.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Jodie and Chibnall officially gone after 2022 https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-57940451 Season 13 and 3 specials

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options

Well I did not see that one coming. He's a good choice, but also a very safe one.

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    "Turns out there's only 3 people in all of the UK who want to run Doctor Who, so we have to cycle back to the first one"

• Options
    I hope he gets Vinay Patel and Maxine Alderton back as writers. Also Malorie Blackman, she deserves a shot at writing at least one episode on her own.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    if they asked me, I'd tell them to get Paul Cornell to write one or two

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

honestly, thank god. I haven't kept up past Jodie's first season, but it was just very obvious that she was a good/great doctor and the show was.......not.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Halloween special!
    2g9k70k80001000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlVyV5ylNcU

Honestly a Halloween Special is a pretty great idea, it's surprising it hasn't been done before.

Butler on
  • Options
    User reviews for Edge of Reality seem to indicate that there's a good game in there but a lot of bugs getting in the way at the moment. Might want to give this one a couple of weeks until it's been patched.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/chris-chibnall-leaving-doctor-who-newsupdate/
    "It’s taken longer than expected if we’re being honest. I’ve been throwing batons at people for about a year now. And finally, someone’s picked it up,” Chibnall said on the search for his replacement.
    Yeah literally only three people want to run Doctor Who

• Options
    Bloke always has such a positive, upbeat tone whenever he says anything about Who but blimey you can see that relentless positivity breaking a bit there

• Options
    I’d have thought there’d be a queue of up-and-comers for a gig like that, although it is a monumental amount of work. Maybe it’s time the BBC ditches the “show runner” model altogether.

• Options
    Well if I were an up and comer I would be afraid of busting my ass for low pay just to end up being known as the person who put the final nail in the coffin of the Doctor Who revival.

• Options
    Well particularly if you’ve seen even 1% of the interminable, tedious and disproportionate vitriol Chibnall cops online

He has plenty of faults and issues, but bloody hell the way some people go on, you’d think he’s spent the past three years stealing children’s sweets and kicking people’s dogs

• Options
    Well my dog is named The Doctor Is Not An Eternal Being Who Was The Blueprint For The Time Lords, so

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Well particularly if you’ve seen even 1% of the interminable, tedious and disproportionate vitriol Chibnall cops online

He has plenty of faults and issues, but bloody hell the way some people go on, you’d think he’s spent the past three years stealing children’s sweets and kicking people’s dogs

Well...
    ...nuking Gallefrey (again) and doing it via Master off-screen sure wasn't the best turn to take. I'm honestly not gonna blink if sooner or later they just have the Gallifreyians pop back in, having taken a page from the Doctor's book by mass-jumping into a pocket dimension when the Master started shooting. If they got enough sense to hide at the end of time, they have to have at least made some plan in case that wasn't enough.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Owenashi wrote: »

Well...
    ...nuking Gallefrey (again) and doing it via Master off-screen sure wasn't the best turn to take. I'm honestly not gonna blink if sooner or later they just have the Gallifreyians pop back in, having taken a page from the Doctor's book by mass-jumping into a pocket dimension when the Master started shooting. If they got enough sense to hide at the end of time, they have to have at least made some plan in case that wasn't enough.
    I mean personally I'm hoping we move on from Gallifrey and the Time Lords and the Doctor's past. The TV series has a preoccupation with Gallifrey and the Doctor that I think sometimes gets in the way of telling more interesting or forward-looking stories (Capaldi's era is an exception for me, but then again, all the bits with Gallifrey weren't the point). It's also all been written into a bit of a corner:
    • if the Time Lords show their face again, the Time War's just going to start all over again
    • the Time Lords are such static, unchanging, passive chumps that even after centuries at war, they're still doormats to both the Doctor and Rassilon
    • the Doctor is now so ridiculously pivotal and hyperbolically important that enemies turn and run at their name, most of the universe would literally die without them (Wedding of River Song), they can overthrow actual Rassilon with 14 words, and maybe they're also a universal force holding back the bad guys?!? (Twice Upon a Time)

I miss the Doctor who was just a curious scientist and traveller, who didn't have to matter and didn't have to be important (and where they were from never came up because it didn't matter). The modern series has really made me appreciate The Lawrence Miles Progression(tm) from 1997-2002 in the novels: the Doctor is dead in the future > the Doctor is dead in the past > the Doctor is dying now > the Doctor's in heaven and we killed him he's dead and irrelevant now and you'll never hear from him ever again

(Not that I think you need to kill the Doctor in order to just move the hell on and into more interesting territory, but can the TV series please just stop navel-gazing at the Doctor's ego and Gallifrey's uselessness?)

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It seemed like that was the direction they were heading mid Moffat run, at the end of S6
    he fakes his death, then tells Dorium "I got too big, too noisy. Time to slip into the shadows for a while."

At the start of S7, Oswin erases all trace of him from the Dalek hive mind. With that, the Doctor has a clean slate! He can be anonymous again.

And then like 5 episodes later they reverse all of that, the Daleks know who he is and a universal war hinges on his name.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I was very excited about that direction and then very not excited about the sudden reversal
    Also in the last 20 minutes I have found a post that perfectly encapsulates my feelings about all this and makes me miss the Hartnell era a lot:

no06q1v9kcxw.png

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »

Well...
    I mean personally I'm hoping we move on from Gallifrey and the Time Lords and the Doctor's past. The TV series has a preoccupation with Gallifrey and the Doctor that I think sometimes gets in the way of telling more interesting or forward-looking stories (Capaldi's era is an exception for me, but then again, all the bits with Gallifrey weren't the point). It's also all been written into a bit of a corner:
    • if the Time Lords show their face again, the Time War's just going to start all over again
    • the Time Lords are such static, unchanging, passive chumps that even after centuries at war, they're still doormats to both the Doctor and Rassilon
    • the Doctor is now so ridiculously pivotal and hyperbolically important that enemies turn and run at their name, most of the universe would literally die without them (Wedding of River Song), they can overthrow actual Rassilon with 14 words, and maybe they're also a universal force holding back the bad guys?!? (Twice Upon a Time)

I miss the Doctor who was just a curious scientist and traveller, who didn't have to matter and didn't have to be important (and where they were from never came up because it didn't matter). The modern series has really made me appreciate The Lawrence Miles Progression(tm) from 1997-2002 in the novels: the Doctor is dead in the future > the Doctor is dead in the past > the Doctor is dying now > the Doctor's in heaven and we killed him he's dead and irrelevant now and you'll never hear from him ever again

(Not that I think you need to kill the Doctor in order to just move the hell on and into more interesting territory, but can the TV series please just stop navel-gazing at the Doctor's ego and Gallifrey's uselessness?)

The Lawrence Miles Progression is 3/4 of the way to fitting the melody of "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean." Now you can't unhear it!

Also I know your comment about the vitriol wasn't directed at me, but I do apologise for my contribution to that vitriol. I love a good whinge about plot holes and always will, but I definitely got too worked up in here sometimes. (Weirdly, those times coincided with other things in my life not being that great! What are the odds?)

Though I give myself some small credit that even at my most irrationally annoyed I never came close to accusing Chibnall of ruining my childhood. Which I maintain is the dumbest thing an adult can say about a current piece of media.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    It’s a time travelling TV series so, uh, its writers can also time travel to punch your childhood right in the Christmas presents? :D

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    The Doctor is on the Universe's greatest authenticity trip, as a character. To thine own self be true... 'To doctor' something is to modify a pre-existing ontological construct - even if that construct is your own sense of self-identity.

#ShowerThoughts

• Options
    Clip from the upcoming episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3w4zaCyXok
    Tune in Sunday to find out what happens with that carton of eggs!

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    This new guy is no spring chicken.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The new episode was some good stuff. It felt like an episode of Old Who, but with a bigger budget.
    Chibnall might work better in this format.
    The episode actually had some suspense to it.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I wish there had been some room for the episode to breathe, some quieter more reflective moments, but there is so much other sci-fi out there these days for Who to compete with, I get that they have to go 110% 'bombastic' nowadays.
    Some serious FUBAR high-stakes, more at 11...

What I'm saying is I'm thinking of watching Blakes 7, or Space 1999 again. :lol:

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Let him in and give him a loving hug.

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I wish there had been some room for the episode to breathe, some quieter more reflective moments, but there is so much other sci-fi out there these days for Who to compete with, I get that they have to go 110% 'bombastic' nowadays.
    Some serious FUBAR high-stakes, more at 11...

What I'm saying is I'm thinking of watching Blakes 7, or Space 1999 again. :lol:

Now's as good a time as any - all of Blake's 7 is finally streaming on Britbox (at least US and Australian)

I've really been enjoying some of the more character-driven Big Finish stuff recently, like Stranded and some of their Torchwood range, so I can't wait to get to their B7 range too. It's all been a nice break from relentless 'threats to the entire universe' plots. Secretly hoping
    the Flux is an entirely natural phenomenon so it's at least something a bit different

I really wanted the cracks back in series 5 to be a pure force of nature, something that in some ways couldn't be tamed or prevented or fought or negotiated with. And I think it could have fit in with the fairytale aspect of Eleven's era, particularly after reading Moffat's beautiful little take on "You are the universe experiencing itself" in the Day of the Doctor novelisation:
    ‘The universe was born alive,’ said the Doctor, answering Clara’s question, as they crunched down the second flight of stone steps, ‘but it could only become aware of itself by developing sensors across its surface, known as life forms—that’s us—each of which suffers a temporary delusion of separate identity during data collection—that’s what we call consciousness—but in reality has no more individual existence than the hairs on your forearm when they tell you there’s a draught—’

• Options
    That was... good! That was very good actually!
    Positives:
    - What a joyously OTT cold-open. It felt very Fifth Doctor, somehow. I could see a version of that scene playing out in an '80s Who episode, only with some really rubbish green-screen* and an anti-grav prop that was just two bike locks painted silver.
    *Translator's note: "green-screen" means "colour separation overlay"
    - The element of distrust between Yaz and the Doctor is a welcome change to their dynamic. I still have reservations about the Timeless Child thing, but if nothing else it works as a believable and sympathetic reason for the Doctor to not tell Yaz the whole truth - she hasn't yet come to terms with it herself.
    - Not quite sure yet what their dynamic is going to be with Dan, but this episode did a great job establishing him as a character.
    - The new Sontarans look fantastic and the guy playing Ritskaw has loads of screen presence. Looking forward to seeing him play off JW.
    - Oh thank God for a second I thought the villain was going to be "Tzim-Sha somehow survived." Yeah this Swarm chappie seems like a proper nightmare, he can stay.
    - Beautiful costume design with Karvanista, and such an interesting idea for an alien species. I hope they explore what this "protector" role means to them in the episodes to come.
    - SO MUCH GOING ON in this episode. I don't know if any single episode of Doctor Who ever set this many plates spinning at once. Yet somehow it worked! It didn't feel rushed or slapdash, it felt exciting and ambitious.

Negatives:
    - Only serious negative was the sound mixing, it was hard to hear what people were saying in scenes where there were explosions in the background (which was a lot of them). Deffo going to have subtitles on when I rewatch this.
    - This is very minor, but... a fleet of seven billion Lupari I get, they're one-to-one matched with humans. But why seven billion ships? Did their species never discover car-pooling?

Other:
    - Everything else from this episode is filed under "Seems interesting but no idea where they're going with it yet."

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH-nUi0xDwc

The Doctor Who newsletter says that the next one is set during the Crimean War (so 1853-1856), and that lady she's talking to at the start is Mary Seacole.

Gotta say this sounds like a pretty great set-up. The Crimean War was an absolute mess so the Sontarans will feel right at home there.

• Options
    This latest episode was a little cheesy cake for my tastes. :P
    v7ojqo5o5vly.jpg
    :snap: :)

• Options
    War of the Sontarans
    See, now I wish that there'd been a First Doctor story set in the Crimean war. A six-part, plodding, pure historical story with no aliens and lots of running back and forth in front of some twigs and a prop cannon left over from another show.

What, just me? Alright then.

Good
    - Kind of amazed that the pacing worked as well as it did. Narrowing the focus of the Crimean war sections to just two contemporary characters was smart and stopped things from getting too crowded.
    - Dan's storyline worked really well. He's a quick study at being a companion, this one.
    - Every "back of the neck!" moment. I never get tired of seeing Sontarans get conked on the head.

Bad
    - Are the Sontarans planning to invade Earth at multiple timepoints? Don't you just need to do that once, as far back as possible? I mean they ARE as bloodthirsty and reckless as a sack of weasels on PCP, but still. These are the narrative problems you create for yourself when you let everyone have a time machine.
    - How does fucking up the food pumps on a few Sontaran ships change the fact that they still occupy all of Russia and China? Why did you show us that map, Chibnall? We didn't need to see the map!

Other
    - I have... no idea what's going on with the Atropos Temple stuff.

Overall, not quite as good as last week's but still very entertaining. I'm really enjoying how ambitious this season is, each episode feels like it's holding nothing back and just swinging for the fences.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Re: one of your comments, Butler:
    I thought it was weird that the general was poring over that map working out his next move

Seemed like the scale was a bit too small to actually be of help, and was just there so that they could reveal that Russia wasn't there

Also, that general was impressively sneaky, getting several barrels of gunpowder across a battlefield and into position under the Sontaran ships without the Doctor realising

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Once, Upon Time
    Good:
    - Nice to see the Fugitive Doctor make a re-appearance! I always thought it was criminal to introduce her and then whisk her away before we get to know her personality, so it's good that that's finally being remedied in this season.
    - I got spoiled on the ending of this episode (thank you, Doctor Who newsletter) and promised myself that I would give it points if the Angel didn't get onto the TARDIS by just randomly teleporting. And it didn't, it trojan-horsed via Yaz's phone. So... points!
    - Hovering Daleks is just smart production. You can overlay CG pepperpots on the screen without worrying about them interacting with twigs or leaving tracks.
    - The Doctor's caginess with Yaz is getting to the point where she's just being kind of a shit. I like this! Thirteen's finally showing that streak of darkness that all Doctors have.
    - Thaddea Graham as Bel

Bad:
    - Chris, Angels don't move every time anyone blinks, it's when no-one is looking. But I guess it was doing the make-the-lights-flicker trick from Blink so this doesn't matter that much anyway.
    - We see the Doctor treating Yaz like crap but we don't really get to see how Yaz feels about this. How does she rationalise putting up with this? Does she trust the Doctor to have her reasons? Is she scared of her, or scared of being kicked off the TARDIS for asking too many questions? Is this damaging her self-respect? I hope they deal with this later in the season, but there were already points in this episode where they could have worked it in and didn't, like Yaz's time-skip with her sister.

Other:

I don't really have an overall verdict this time, it feels like scoring an individual chapter in a book. But I will say this is the first Chibnall season where I'll be enthusiastically rewatching the entire thing on Blu-Ray, and not just a few choice episodes. Wherever the rest of the season goes, it is definitely holding my attention.

And now a moment of self-indulgence:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    In 1986 [Colin] Baker told an interviewer: "Tom Baker did [Doctor Who] for seven years. ... There's a part of me which likes to have a tilt at records. I would like to think that maybe I'd still be doing it in eight years' time."

So if you go by the original dates of broadcast for the regeneration episodes, Tom Baker actually held the role for six years, nine months and thirteen days. Part of the reason I've held on to this avatar for so long is to get Colin the record he always wanted, in some trivial sense. In fact, at seven years and six days it's the longest I've had any single avatar since I joined the forums in 2003.

Well done, Sixie, you outlasted them all. But it's time to hang up that Coat of Too Many Colours. Preferably in a lead-lined wardrobe away from any population centres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB2YNAaKnZU