As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Not an ending, but a mending

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I think playing the doctor would take some serious skill at role playing, more than most table top games.

I play those sorts of games more like board games so I don't think it would really be for me.

But that sounds like a version of All Flesh Must Be a Eaten, where you can play a western scenario where you're a singing cowboy (like Roy rogers) and you can't die or lose, basically. So it's more about the story than maneuvering brought zombies.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Found a sample character sheet the game uses with explanations on some of the stats and such that go into a character if anyone's interested.
    GTmLxjw.jpg

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Anyone ever heard of an tabletop RPG for Doctor Who before subtitled Adventures In Time And Space? From what I've found of it so far, it's set up so if one of your players wants to play the Doctor , he or she can (the core rulebook even apparently having a sidebar-box dealing with more then one player wanting to be the Doctor) as well as established or original Companions. Looks like there's also supplemental books based on the various Doctor eras and how to use the stories from the show to create campaigns based on them.

I've read it over; it's a little bit FATE-ish, with some interesting rules implementations.

I'd recommend it if you're a DW fan.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    It's official: Doctor Who Lego is on the way.

Calling it now, the first run of sets will sell out within minutes and go for astronomical prices on eBay.

And in classic Who news, a partial recording of William Hartnell's 1965 Desert Island Discs episode has been discovered.

EDIT - starts at 2:47 (h/t to the Lego Thread):
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Lego Wall-E got the okay from Idea!

http://youtu.be/SblCKsE3F9c

Also Lego Doctor Who

Butler on
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtV1TgcexKE

You're gonna want to watch this video. Trust me.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Some thrilling news from Big Finish lately. First off was the announcement that they're going to release a regeneration story for the Sixth Doctor, featuring everyone from Jago and Litefoot to the Valeyard. And now, Big Finish will be doing a UNIT series with Kate Stewart! For the first time, they've been allowed to use characters from new Who!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Had the Sixth Doctor's regeneration not been shown?

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Yes and no. He was shown regenerating, but it was never really shown what killed him.

http://youtu.be/4_OT2obe710

See, Colin Baker was fired from the show, and they want to get him out of the way quickly, so they just put Sylvester McCoy in a wig and slapped some special effects on his face.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth_Doctor
    When the TARDIS was attacked by his old enemy the Rani, the Sixth Doctor was somehow injured and regenerated into the Seventh Doctor; the exact cause of the regeneration, however, has never been revealed on-screen. When writers Pip and Jane Baker's novel of the story tried to explain the regeneration many were not happy with the outcome. There have subsequently been various explanations for the regeneration. The Virgin New Adventures series suggests that the Seventh Doctor somehow killed the Sixth, because he could not become the masterplanner and manipulator that his next incarnation became, due to his fear of becoming the Valeyard. The BBC Books novel Spiral Scratch offers an alternative explanation that the Sixth Doctor died as a result of his chronal energy being drained in a confrontation with a powerful pan-dimensional entity before being snared by the Rani's beam.

• Options
    Why was he fired

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Michael Grade had it in for Who (and according to some reports, for Colin Baker himself). After Grade's 18 month hiatus of the programme and The Trial of a Time Lord, there was a push within the BBC to get in a new Doctor. IIRC, it was at least partly to move the show on into a new era.

Baker had been contracted on for three seasons and argued that he'd only had two. He was willing to hand over to a new Doctor if he had season 24 to bow out, but the most he was offered was the first story of that season. Given he'd have to wait around and likely refuse a bunch of other work for a quarter of a season, he refused. So he got booted, making his Doctor's final words "Carrot juice".

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Of course, he went on to be a fan favourite in his audios, something he sadly never got the opportunity to become during his on-screen tenure. All the past Doctors are wonderful to listen to, but Colin Baker in particular is an absolute delight. His love of the role really shines through, both in interviews and in his performances.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Langly wrote: »
    Why was he fired

He was awful.

• Options
    Geth, kick Tube from space-time.

• Options
    He was though. Even his regeneration scene alone is bad enough to make him the worst Doctor.

• Options
    Well, if you ignore the direction ('end of episode acting' for instance), the script writing, the meddling with his character development and the problems with and between Saward and JNT, yes, I suppose you could simplify it down to 'he was awful'.

• Options
    No lie, I'd probably give wearing the Sixth Doctor's suit a go. It's a classic look.

• Options
    I mean, no doubt the sixth doctor period is the low point of the show overall (though there are some decent stories in there), but that's more due to the factors Cyvros mentioned than Colin Baker himself. It was mostly just bad luck that his tenure almost exactly overlapped the period behind the scenes of the show where things went completely down the shitter.

As a thought exercise, think of something you really loathe from the sixth doctor's tenure and imagine it with any other actor in the lead role but everything else the same (and try to account for the direction he would have been getting). Not that much of an improvement, is it?

• Options
    Also ignore Butler's avatar and mine.

It's purely coincidental.

We are Not Colin Baker(tm).

• Options
    Direction can count for so much. There was a story floating around a while back from a couple of fans who got to watch some of the filming of Planet of Fire. Apparently, Anthony Ainley was trying to put in a more restrained performance as the Master and kept being told by the director to be more moustache-twirling.

It wasn't till his very last on-screen story that he got to finally be not moustache-twirling.

And then there's the exaggerated 'end of episode acting'/reaction shots thing that particularly got ramped up during Trial of a Time Lord as another example (see my avatar). Colin Baker neatly sends it up during one of the Trial featurettes (I think that brilliant one on cliffhangers throughout Doctor Who). It kind of even got kept through McCoy's era, like in the Fenric reveal cliffhanger of The Curse of Fenric where it inexplicably cuts to the Doctor's oddly contemplative reaction.

• Options
    One thing I will lay on Colin Baker is that blonde afro thing he had going on with his hair. As if he didn't look clownish enough with that jacket.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    when you're white it's a wafro

• Options
    If you want to see the Sixth Doctor really working as a unique and engaging iteration of the Doctor, I can recommend the novel "Players" by Terrance Dicks.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    I thought it was a Caucasio.

• Options
    what is end of episode acting

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    I thought it was a Caucasio.
    Anglofro

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Upcoming season casting spoiler
    Michelle Gomez will be back in the season opening two-parter.

I'm glad she's coming back, but they really couldn't wait even a single episode?

• Options

In England it's called a bifro

• Options

I'm glad she's coming back, but they really couldn't wait even a single episode?

Actually I think this is a pretty savvy move.
    No one genuinely believes she's dead anyway, so why waste an entire season building suspense that isn't there?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

This may sound silly, I really haven't caught up entirely on all of the Doctor Who eps but i've seen most of this season and at least the last previous version of
    the master, and I wouldn't mind if the Master actually ended up being a companion for a bit? Like, Missy kind of very sort of had the smallest possible good intention with where she started out from on her plan, maybe the Doctor tries to help his old friend (they were friends at some point in their history right?)

IDK, it could be a starting point for an interesting story but I don't think them hanging around together long term would work well without massive changes to either character. If I'm completely off base let me know, I admit to being ignorant of their entire histories together.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

This may sound silly, I really haven't caught up entirely on all of the Doctor Who eps but i've seen most of this season and at least the last previous version of
    the master, and I wouldn't mind if the Master actually ended up being a companion for a bit? Like, Missy kind of very sort of had the smallest possible good intention with where she started out from on her plan, maybe the Doctor tries to help his old friend (they were friends at some point in their history right?)

IDK, it could be a starting point for an interesting story but I don't think them hanging around together long term would work well without massive changes to either character. If I'm completely off base let me know, I admit to being ignorant of their entire histories together.
    given the massive amounts of murder she's done i don't see how that is possible without making her a different character, like a mind wipe or something.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular

From the Doctor's various interactions with the Master (at least in the modern serieseses), it always seems like never believes his foe is completely beyond redemption, so trying to rehabilitate Missy would probably be a valid story.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

given the massive amounts of murder she's done i don't see how that is possible without making her a different character, like a mind wipe or something.
    I forgot about all the people she killed on the plane, including the scientist (not including all the stuff the master did before that of course, and if she purposefully killed anyone that ended up in the nethersphere. Danny's death seemed kind of opportunistic rather than an accident). That's a hard point to start at for redemption

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Butler wrote: »

Actually I think this is a pretty savvy move.
    No one genuinely believes she's dead anyway, so why waste an entire season building suspense that isn't there?
    Plus it would be cool to see if they get around to explaining how she got off of Gallifrey and if a certain jackass of a president followed her out. Said explanation can also possibly tie into 12's appearance in The Day Of The Doctor.

• Options

They waited the Christmas episode, I guess.
    what is end of episode acting

Something that started ramping up around 1984 and kept going on till the end of the classic era. Something shocking would happen, which in other eras would be the cliffhanger, but then it'd switch to the Doctor stating whatever obvious peril it was (in case you weren't paying attention) or yelling out "No, [companion]!" or looking shocked or whatever. But it wasn't like a normal reaction: it'd often be overacted for what I presume was the sake of emphasis.

Then the credits would cut in.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    On the casting spoiler.
    I'd be pretty ok if she is a constant threat. Basically a Pertwee and Delgado reprieve.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Someone has made something wonderful. It's kind of like a 1930s interpretation of the series 8 title sequence.

• Options
    Happy 10th birthday New Who!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkpEBYSM3nE

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I really dig that they are letting Capaldi's costume get kind of ratty and less formal.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I really like how Capaldi is a big fan of the show. It's always so gratifying to me, when people get to be directly involved with things they're passionate about.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options