As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Not an ending, but a mending

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams to star in Season 9

p02n2x69.jpg
    Steven Moffat, lead writer and Executive Producer, added, “We’re thrilled to have Maisie Williams joining us on Doctor Who. It’s not possible to say too much about who or what she’s playing, but she is going to challenge the Doctor in very unexpected ways. This time he might just be out of his depth, and we know Maisie is going to give him exactly the right sort of hell.”

• Options
    That article also reveals two new episode titles:
    ‘The Girl Who Died’ written by Jamie Mathieson and Steven Moffat, and ‘The Woman Who Lived’ by Catherine Tregenna.

Yay a woman writer! Apparently this was revealed back in November but I never noticed. Attach the rock of shame.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    given previous experience maisie williams will stab capaldi in the throat several times and then start repeating names under her breath.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    valar morghulis

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Ser Amory Lorch
    Cersei Lannister
    Chiswyck
    Polliver
    The Hound
    The Mountain
    The Doctor

Valar morghulis

• Options
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Colorized Season 1 trailer, Maisie Williams casting announcement, and then that video interview with Peter Capaldi all in a row, did it make anyone else think that...
    Maisie Williams is playing Susan? Particularly after Peter Capaldi focused on Susan so much in that "favorite companion" question?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Man, I wonder how hard it is to go up in front of a bunch of kids and stay in character without things getting weird.

• Options
    So looks like there'll be a lot more two-parters this season.

Makes sense. It's a way to mix up the traditional pacing of New Who, and they can save a lot of budget on sets, costumes etc. There've certainly been some stories in recent years that were basically good but felt squashed into the 45 minute running time.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Weren't most of the classic episodes roughly 100 minutes or so when strung together? Two-parters in a one-hour time block would be pretty close to that (although the pacing of a two parter is still going to be naturally different from that of a five-parter).

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Weren't most of the classic episodes roughly 100 minutes or so when strung together? Two-parters in a one-hour time block would be pretty close to that (although the pacing of a two parter is still going to be naturally different from that of a five-parter).

True, though quite a few suffered for it due to excessive padding. But if this series is all two parters, it might actually not be far off what they did for season 22, when it got changed over to 13 45-minute episodes and there were five two-parters and one three-parter.
    Lars wrote: »
    Colorized Season 1 trailer, Maisie Williams casting announcement, and then that video interview with Peter Capaldi all in a row, did it make anyone else think that...
    Maisie Williams is playing Susan the Rani? Particularly after Peter Capaldi focused on Susan the Rani so much in that "favorite companion character ever" question?

Fix'd.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Butler wrote: »
    So looks like there'll be a lot more two-parters this season.

Makes sense. It's a way to mix up the traditional pacing of New Who, and they can save a lot of budget on sets, costumes etc. There've certainly been some stories in recent years that were basically good but felt squashed into the 45 minute running time.

It depends imo. Apparently the first four episodes are two parters . Obviously at least one will tie into the main plot but if both do I'm kind of afriad they'll give us to much info to early.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Maisie Williams is playing Susan? Particularly after Peter Capaldi focused on Susan so much in that "favorite companion" question?

My bet's on...
    A younger version of Clara.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    So there's a follow-up to that classic The Doctor is gonna bust a cap in yo ass video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNuHV-iLBRw

It's not as snappy, but it's just as violent (if not more so)!

• Options
    Speaking of guns, it looks like Season 9 is coming out with all of them blazing.

Linked article is slightly spoilery, but the Beeb usually release a synopsis before each episode airs anyway and there's no more detail here then you'd read in one of those.

• Options
    “I’m writing quite funny this year. Peter magnifies anything dark. So I’m pushing him the other way. He’s also got a Scottish gloom about him.

“It was great fun to do for a year, but that’s not how we’ll play the rest of him.

"As ever, Doctor Who is a combination of complete daft silliness and loads of people getting slaughtered in the early evening.”

Oh good, I'd hate for that creative resurgence and enjoyably distinctive personality from last year to have been a lasting thing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Oh gosh, Big Finish is on a roll with new series licences. They've got John Barrowman back as Captain Jack for a series of Torchwood audios starting later this year.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Oh gosh, Big Finish is on a roll with new series licences. They've got John Barrowman back as Captain Jack for a series of Torchwood audios starting later this year.

So they've managed to turn depression into a sound.

Intriguing

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • Options
    This is the cynic in me talking but it seems to me that they took an already cheap and pointless death and rendered it even more cheap and pointless by wantonly retconning it. Sure it could be some clever plot that was planned well in advance, but I have my doubts.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    This is the cynic in me talking but it seems to me that they took an already cheap and pointless death and rendered it even more cheap and pointless by wantonly retconning it. Sure it could be some clever plot that was planned well in advance, but I have my doubts.
    Well, it does say she's meeting up with the Zygons, and we know she's already be replicated by them in The Day of the Doctor, so my feeling is that it's the copy had had its mind wiped in the climax of the episode so no one could remember who was human and who was zygon, so she probably thinks she's real, but isn't.

Or, conversely, the one that got killed was the zygon and they find out the real one was somewhere else.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
  • Options
    I honestly don't know whether I'm more excited about the Portal or the Doctor Who sets.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I was looking at that picture and thinking, "Who's the lady in the vest? I don't remember that episode - is she one of the classic companions?"

Then I read the words and felt foolish.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    I was looking at that picture and thinking, "Who's the lady in the vest? I don't remember that episode - is she one of the classic companions?"

Then I read the words and felt foolish.
    Portal\Doctor Who crossover would actually be the best thing ever.

I can see Chell constantly portalling around the TARDIS, the Doctor fruitlessly trying to catch her.

Throw in some Glados TARDIS control and you've got a fanfiction if ever there was one.

Fantastic
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    DW-Event-Art-Cover-A-5web-54785.jpg

If you didn't know, Titan Comics has been publishing three series based on the Tenth, Eleventh and Twelfth Doctors. Having wrapped up the 'first season' of each comic, CBR reports that the three will have a special five-issue crossover in August via writer Paul Cornell and artist Neil Edwards. Two of the six page preview at the bottom of the link can be found in the box, revealing Doctor #4.
    DW-Four-Doctors-p1-preview-aaff9.jpgDW-Four-Doctors-p2-preview-781f0.jpg

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Ten looks like Jack dressed up as Ten.

• Options
    I seriously want an Eleven/Twelve crossover episode

I want to hear Twelve tell him to get a haircut and stop insisting everything he likes is 'cool'.

• Options
    And Eleven's all "Oh, I am starting to rethink which one of my faces I call "Mr. Grumpy"!"

• Options
    Looks like the UNIT story in series 9 will feature Rebecca Front. It seems that Doctor Who is turning into the after-party for The Thick of It.

• Options
    I'm just going to leave this here

https://youtu.be/Kz2IP0R6YgU

• Options
    Awesome parody!

...that's not a parody, is it.

• Options
    That is an actual commercial airing on Disney XD.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I like how they added special effects so it looks like the doctor is disintegrating a bunch of Cybermen.

...That was added right? It's been a while since I've seen that episode.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I'm just going to leave this here

https://youtu.be/Kz2IP0R6YgU

facepalm.jpg

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Have you ever wondered what it would be like if every Doctor was played by Shia LaBeouf? I know I have.

Well your worries are over:

all_shias_200k.jpg

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    What has been seen

cannot be unseen

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    What has been seen

cannot be unseen

Not with THAT attitude it can't.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »
    What has been seen

cannot be unseen

Not with THAT attitude it can't.

Nothing is impossible! Just do it!