As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Doctor Who] Not an ending, but a mending

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The last Christmas Special was pretty sad.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Bill was just fantastic. I was surprised because when she was first trailered I thought "they are definitely going to stuff this one" but somehow it came together. I think it's mostly just how great Pearl Mackie is

She really was just incredible.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Essentially my two biggest red flags with Doctor Who writing are "attempt at working class character" and "attempt at ethnic minority character". Rose Tyler was incredibly insulting, and Martha Jones was horribly mishandled.

I liked how Martha got pissed at The Doctor when things started effecting her family.

I do need to see the Christmas special yet. I just had to step away from the show for a bit after how frustrating the finale was.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Moffat got it right when he said, and I'm heavily paraphrasing here, that positive representation matters more than historical accuracy for a show like Doctor Who, and anyway this episode is about how Napoleon was secretly a bag of eels from Tau Ceti so that horse has already bolted. It's a pity it took the collective writing team so long to learn that though.

The message you get at the end of the last Christmas special.
    Everyone is dead!

I really did not like some of ideas last season. They primarily center on the aliens that look like corpses.

Or humans that look like/are corpses

cdci44qazyo3.gif

What other quirky women could play the Master?

Gomez got way too little screen time.

Yeah I'm disappointed that plotline ended where it did--I was really enjoying the dynamic this season

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Missy is absolutely the best thing to happen to that character

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Gomez got way too little screen time.

I thought they got it about right tbh. A character that big can easily outstay their welcome.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Given Moffat's inabilty to not go out of his way to whomp every dead horse he comes across, I'm fond of the fact that he left me wanting more of Bill and Missy.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm disappointed that plotline ended where it did--I was really enjoying the dynamic this season

It seemed an appropriate ending, with that episode being like their play on the 50th Anniversary
    they had that scene earlier where Missy intimidates the Master into always carrying the component they need to escape - that's an evil twist on the screwdriver program scene from Day of the Doctor. In each, the Doctor and Master work with their past selves to solve a problem, but where the Doctor's past self helps his future see a solution that he can't, the future Master just scares the shit out of the past one to retcon their troubles.

So you get to the end. In the Day of the Doctor, every regeneration so far teams up to fix the Doctor's biggest mistake. They all work together, and they do something impossible and it's awesome. Missy tries the same thing, but alas her past self is an irredeemable prick, so he doesn't help her, and she ends up dead for her effort.

It's a downer, but that pretty much perfectly fits the character's history, that he'd be such a spiteful little asshole in the face of progress like that.

My only hope is that her change is somewhat permanent. There's any number of ways they could roll it back, even as simply as her next regen is straight up evil again, but I'd like them to stick with the trying-to-be-better version.

Oh brilliant
    Daleks
    Drowning in their own remains.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    That's definitely a Doctor alright

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I do like how the Doctor is entirely unphased that she's a woman now. It's just an interesting factoid for her.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I read somewhere that his next season won't be using any creatures or characters from the show's history and everything is going to be entirely new? Is that true? I mean, taking the show in new directions is great and all but doing something like that seems like its kind of saying that Jodi isn't *really* Dr. Who, and once a guy is in the role again, we'll get back to normal.

Viskod on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I read somewhere that his next season won't be using any creatures or characters from the show's history and everything is going to be entirely new? Is that true? I mean, taking the show in new directions is great and all but doing something like that seems like its kind of saying that Jodi isn't *really* Dr. Who, and once a guy is in the role again, we'll get back to normal.

Just this current run through December, next year might be Daleks and co but this was specifically designed as a jumping on point for new viewers with no backstory.

7qmGNt5.png
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Oh okay, that's cool.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Viskod wrote: »

It's still the Doctor in the TARDIS, traveling through time and space with their companions saving people and families and worlds and running, oh so much running!

Doctor Who has plenty of themes and ideas to work with, they can leave off the three recurring monsters they always bring back.

Plus, and as to not to belabor this point I'll try to stop bringing it up after this, but I feel like Moffat had an over reliance on the mythos, and leaned way to hard on it to prop up some really weak ideas. I like the idea of bringing the show back down to the basics and building it back out.

Narbus on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2018
    They're definitely not trying to imply Jodie isn't properly the Doctor. I can't imagine why they would, after casting her.

Bogart on
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I truly hope I don't have to listen to a Dalek or Cyberman talk again until like 2022.

edited September 2018
    There was a theory that the Doctor has had more regenerations than the ones we have seen. Still, they did have the regen limit, so that might have been retconned.

In the seventh Doctor's run, they were going to imply the Doctor was a demigod like Omega and Rassilon, but that was dropped.

They still keep the Doctor's name a secret, which implies that he might be something bigger.

They also lean allot on premonitions on the show, which also implies he is part of something grander.

Krathoon on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    There was a theory that the Doctor has had more regenerations than the ones we have seen.

We do not discuss it with outsiders.

Butler on
  • pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Is that whole thing about needing to use the Daleks at least once a year to retain the rights still in place? That has led to some cameo-esque appearances from them in some years, which is the most I expect from any old monsters this year.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I do like how the Doctor is entirely unphased that she's a woman now. It's just an interesting factoid for her.

Think they sorta set up that attitude back in The Doctor's Wife with the mention of the Corsair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PDyuGoKypk

It's likely not that uncommon for a Time Lord to have at least one opposite gender regeneration somewhere in their lot of lives given. So outside of the usual 'what got changed, what didn't' comments every regeneration gets in it's first few minutes, Gallifreyans probably don't give it much thought.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    darn it people, "faze" is the root, not "phase"

FAZE refers to your FACE

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Set faces to stunned

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    You know, thinking about it the lack of "Yo here's the new titles" trailer is an act of remarkable restraint. Maybe I'll be disappointed by next Friday, but I hope it's going to be a total surprise.

7qmGNt5.png
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »
    Is that whole thing about needing to use the Daleks at least once a year to retain the rights still in place? That has led to some cameo-esque appearances from them in some years, which is the most I expect from any old monsters this year.

Both RTD and Moffat have said that isn’t a thing and that it’s just a fan rumour, so I guess we’re all good.

Also my new favourite Chibnall quote is “I don't know how many times I need to say it. There are no old monsters this series.”

I would be fine if they killed off the Daleks for good.

One cool thing they could do is have some new mutation declare them inferior and wipe them out.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    New monsters/aliens/enemies is cool, i like that idea. The Doctor has all of time and space, no need to always run into the same enemies.

I liked the upgraded Cybermen.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I would be fine if they killed off the Daleks for good.

One cool thing they could do is have some new mutation declare them inferior and wipe them out.

Haven't they done Dalek race wars on previous episodes?

The Daleks would be fine if they hadn't been "DEFEATED FOREVER!" like a million times.

Like, I swear they go extinct at least 4 times in the first few series.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    A recurring villain like the Daleks gets less scary every times its defeated unless it's rested for decent periods. It's also the case that they're the Doctors most recognisable and beloved villain and people want to see them. It's a tricky balance. They haven't been the big villain of a series for a fair while, though, unless I'm forgetting something. I think the Cybermen and the Master have had far more prominence during the Smith/Capaldi eras. The Daleks get an episode a series but it's one that tries to do something new with them (Asylum, Into the Dalek, etc)

They're definitely not going to get rid of them, though. Nor should they.