As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Not an ending, but a mending

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    You know, thinking about it the lack of "Yo here's the new titles" trailer is an act of remarkable restraint. Maybe I'll be disappointed by next Friday, but I hope it's going to be a total surprise.

I could be wrong but I think Chibnall said they're keeping the old one for the first episode and then switching over for the second. I am old and my memory is vague, however.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I wonder how they will handle the fall from the sky. Will she fall into water? Will her bones mend?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Well Ten lost a hand and grew it back while he was still newly regenerated. I could see her hitting the ground and healing pretty quickly.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    You know, thinking about it the lack of "Yo here's the new titles" trailer is an act of remarkable restraint. Maybe I'll be disappointed by next Friday, but I hope it's going to be a total surprise.

I could be wrong but I think Chibnall said they're keeping the old one for the first episode and then switching over for the second. I am old and my memory is vague, however.

huh.

That's a strange move if true, but I could see it working maybe

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Well Ten lost a hand and grew it back while he was still newly regenerated. I could see her hitting the ground and healing pretty quickly.

I wonder if she gets brought into the hospital like he did in the U.S. movie.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

I wonder if she gets brought into the hospital like he did in the U.S. movie.

In that though he was dead as McCoy and didn’t regenerate into McGann until he was left in the morgue.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Thought that has probably been brought up numerous times already since the episode aired--how the hell did no one figure out something was fucked up in the simulated universe before that point? Between gamblers, tabletop gamers, and scientists, surely enough people would have noticed the problem with random numbers to have been freaking out about it without needing a document spelling it out.
    This is a minor nitpick of course, the conceit worked well enough for the story being told, I feel, just, surely if the sim was THAT bad at it people would have noticed.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Thought that has probably been brought up numerous times already since the episode aired--how the hell did no one figure out something was fucked up in the simulated universe before that point? Between gamblers, tabletop gamers, and scientists, surely enough people would have noticed the problem with random numbers to have been freaking out about it without needing a document spelling it out.
    This is a minor nitpick of course, the conceit worked well enough for the story being told, I feel, just, surely if the sim was THAT bad at it people would have noticed.

Nah. The story was stupid.
    I liked how the corpse people altered history though.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Well I liked it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    It made Tennant's one where he was asleep until he had a nice cup of tea and then was good to go a very nice change in retrospect.
    I like the oh-shit-the-Doctor-is-missing episodes. Blink is of course the best example of this, but I'm also very fond of the Christmas Invasion and (the criminally underrated) Love and Monsters

wandering on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    You could probably make the argument that most of those other random numbers would be products of the physics simulation and thus not truly random, and only a person thinking of a random number would require the simulation to try to produce one. Really the glaring hole is that everybody knows you have to seed your random number generator with something different every time.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    JayKaos wrote: »
    You could probably make the argument that most of those other random numbers would be products of the physics simulation and thus not truly random, and only a person thinking of a random number would require the simulation to try to produce one. Really the glaring hole is that everybody knows you have to seed your random number generator with something different every time.

Yeah that's a good point--if you can accurately model the physics of a coin flipping or a die rolling, you don't really have to seed a random number. It's just we rarely do that because it's way more work in most of the use cases we've had

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    God help me, I’m thinking of trying to get into this with this new season

Jodie Whitaker looks neat and the show seems to be trying to strike the proper balance of being upbeat without tipping into twee

How does one keep up on it in America

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Also do we know how long they ran that simulation? It could have been up for a few days or weeks. Just long enough to understand how that version would react to an invasion and then dump it for the next one.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    God help me, I’m thinking of trying to get into this with this new season

Jodie Whitaker looks neat and the show seems to be trying to strike the proper balance of being upbeat without tipping into twee

How does one keep up on it in America

BBC America. Or I just buy the season on Amazon. They are up the next day.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Also do we know how long they ran that simulation? It could have been up for a few days or weeks. Just long enough to understand how that version would react to an invasion and then dump it for the next one.

I guess my assumption is that in order for the Veritas to have existed it would have been a long-running simulation going back thousands of years. Otherwise why would that have been built in to their simulation?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
  • Options
    Apparently, this next season will not have an arc. I don't like that.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sometimes season long arcs work but sometimes they're by far the weakest part of the show, so I'm pretty cool with that.

• Options
    Give it a season to get its footing. Do monster of week eps. I like those.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    I'm cautiously pessimistic about no arc.

• Options
    I liked the whole arc with the cracks.

• Options
    I'm not sure the new series has ever had a season-long arc that I felt really paid off and I generally dislike when an otherwise great stand-alone episode has to shoe-horn in bits that relate to a running storyline, so this is all fine with me.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    RTD's arcs were usually okay because they were just simple foreshadowing, and didn't get in the way of the plot or raise questions that they never got around to answering. I think the only one of Moffat's that concluded in a satisfying way was season 8, and that was because it was the only one of his to follow that formula. In fact it gets bonus points because it also tied up a loose thread from season 7 (how Clara got the Doctor's phone number).

• Options
    Moffat had loose writing.

• Options

I don't know what this means.

I'd agree that RTD's somewhat casual arcs worked out better. Moffat set up great mysteries and almost always ended up with unsatisfying answers. How is the Doctor going to die, because he definitely has to or the whole mystery was kind of bullshit oh it's a fake Doctor robot thingy. Hmmmm yes well never mind.

• Options

I'd agree that RTD's somewhat casual arcs worked out better. Moffat set up great mysteries and almost always ended up with unsatisfying answers. How is the Doctor going to die, becauses he definitely has to or the whole mystery was kind of bullshit oh it's a fake Doctor robot thingy. Hmmmm yes well never mind.

That is what I meant. He doesn't always tie things up. RTD did.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I lowkey think that Moffat's first and last season are the only times the show has ever had a season arc work in any real capacity.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options

I'd agree that RTD's somewhat casual arcs worked out better. Moffat set up great mysteries and almost always ended up with unsatisfying answers. How is the Doctor going to die, becauses he definitely has to or the whole mystery was kind of bullshit oh it's a fake Doctor robot thingy. Hmmmm yes well never mind.

That is what I meant. He doesn't always tie things up. RTD did.

But he does tie things up. The problem is he doesn't do it in a satisfactory way. All his intriguing riddles have answers, but they're usually underwhelming ones.

We found out what was in the Pandorica, how he died on the beach being shot by the impossible astronaut, what happens at Trenzalore, who blew up the Tardis, where dead people were going, what the hybrid was (I can't even remember that answer) and I guess the last season didn't have a mystery beyond finding out what was in the vault, which we found out halfway through. He absolutely ties things up. Just, usually, not as well as he lays the groundwork.

He's not as cavalier about answers as, say, JJ Abrams, but with the weight his seasons place on those mysteries they need more impressive answers. He did this in Sherlock as well, building up the mystery of how he survived falling from a building and focusing all the pre-series publicity on how he could have done it and the eventual answer was fairly boring with a side order of telling the viewer they were silly for wanting to know. Which was somewhat annoying given how much emphasis they'd been putting on it in the first place.

• Options
    Having just checked I think the answer to the hybrid question is never explicitly chosen from the several different possibilities, though Moffat said what it was in interviews.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Having just checked I think the answer to the hybrid question is never explicitly chosen from the several different possibilities, though Moffat said what it was in interviews.

The real thing about the hybrid was that it would "sit in the ruins of Gallifrey", which Moffat handled in the most boring way possible.

• Options
    Narbus wrote: »

The real thing about the hybrid was that it would "sit in the ruins of Gallifrey", which Moffat handled in the most boring way possible.

Also, it's stated that his fear of creating the hybrid is supposedly at least part of why the Doctor fled Gallifrey in the first place, but somehow it never comes up during the Doctor-Donna metacrisis or that time the daleks made a human-dalek hybrid.

Although, to be fair, the Tenth Doctor probably took one look at this thing:
    220px-Human_dalek.jpg

and decided, "Yeah, that's... that's probably not what's going to unravel the Web of Time and stand in the ruins of Gallifrey. I mean, honestly? I'll be impressed if it can unravel its own shoelaces."

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I think of RTD as 'looser' than Moffat. In that Moffat was more interested in twisty turny plotty wotty the-doctor-in-that-one-scene-in-season-five-is-actually-the-doctor-from-season-six-who-went-back-in-time-ho-ho-isn't-that-clever type stuff which could be fun but also exhausting. Like I think of Moffat as a little more of a 'plot' guy and RTD as a little more of a 'character' guy

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    this candy shop made special candies for Thirteen's debut

https://youtu.be/0JtXwGSDdCg

• Options
    There are rumblings of an announcement of a recovery of missing Doctor Who by London midnight (so, 11 hours from now).

There have been false alarms before, and I try not to post about most of them in here, but this seems to have some meat on its bones. There was a lost 1968 episode of (British sketch comedy show) Morecambe and Wise recovered just recently by the same chap who brought back a bunch of Second Doctor stuff in 2013, so that could very well be the tip of an iceberg of other recoveries.

• Options
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I love that moving to Sunday was cited as a thing to the show on at a consistent time. Next week it's on 5 minutes later lol

Still, a fine opener.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options