As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2015 - The Restaurant/Food Thread

• Options
    revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    If there's a place down in that area that would do take-out, it's probably the No Name Restaurant. They're a completely no-frills place right down on the harbor, lots of great fried seafood options for a decent price. I'd give them a call and see if you can do that.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    ktm_cv wrote: »
    I'm curious if anyone knows if there's a seafood place in that area that does take-out. That area of Boston is known for it's seafood so I'd like to partake, but between being on my own and needing to spend a lot of time working, a sit-down restaurant isn't really an option. A simple place where I can get fried clams, calamari, etc and bring it back to my hotel room is enough. Price isn't too much of an issue, as long I can get it to-go.

No name is ok, but I'd just sit at the bar at LTK and get fish there. Really good stuff.

• Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Has anyone been to the Jimmy Johns on D Street by BCEC? Looks like they built some new stores along D Street but cant tell doing a street view. Does anyone know if theyve opened new resuratunts along that street?

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    I'm curious if anyone knows if there's a seafood place in that area that does take-out. That area of Boston is known for it's seafood so I'd like to partake, but between being on my own and needing to spend a lot of time working, a sit-down restaurant isn't really an option. A simple place where I can get fried clams, calamari, etc and bring it back to my hotel room is enough. Price isn't too much of an issue, as long I can get it to-go.

No name is ok, but I'd just sit at the bar at LTK and get fish there. Really good stuff.
    Completely agree that if he has time to actually sit down he should go to Legal Test Kitchen, but that wasn't his question.

• Options
    pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular
    No Name definitely does take out. Barking Crab does, too. I THINK The Daily Catch does, as well.
    I'd agree with the LTK rec, but it's pricier and even the bar has a bit of an upscale atmosphere (meaning you would feel underdressed in Pax attire of jeans, tshirt, and sneakers).

• Options
    DearMisterKidnapperDearMisterKidnapper Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I am a native here in Boston and some great suggestions would be:

The Barking Crab (A tad pricey, but all seafood places are)

Fire & Ice (If you are exploring the city)

Definitely check out the Harpoon Brewery and Boston Beer Garden if you are a beer lover!

I would stay away from the over priced, crap food BCEC sells. A pizza is like 9 bucks...and it is awful.

• Options
    Just saw that Harpoon is doing a St Patricks day event friday and saturday of pax...crap.

• Options
    GanybyteGanybyte Registered User regular
    Harpoon will be a zoo.
    For the person requesting sushi, there are a number of options, but oddly the closest real option that I'm aware of is Sushi-teq inside the intercontinental hotel (just across the bridge from the Waterfront). They pair sushi with tequila oddly, but the sushi is decent and the decor and setting is at least relaxing, especially since you can sit at the large bar in the lobby and order from sushi-teq if the resturaunt itself is busy.

If you want AMAZING sushi and are willing to pay for it, trek over to to the south station/downtown crossing area and go to O Ya. Get a reservation. It is VERY expensive, but arguably the very best sushi in Boston and not actually very far away. About a mile technically.

• Options
    OfficeZombieOfficeZombie Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

Completely agree that if he has time to actually sit down he should go to Legal Test Kitchen, but that wasn't his question.

I did take out from LTK last year, so unless they've changed they should still do it this year.

• Options
    ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular

Yankee Lobster around the corner is great and does their food take out! Which is good because they are tiny and have very limited seating.

UyhWici.png
  • Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    I know I'll be going to Prudential to get cheese fries from Flamer's and a mac n melt from Cheeseboy. Foodgasms will be had. <3

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    coflroptercoflropter Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    builderr0r wrote: »
    I know I'll be going to Prudential to get cheese fries from Flamer's and a mac n melt from Cheeseboy. Foodgasms will be had. <3

I believe there's a Cheeseboy kiosk in South Station.

Edit: Yes there is.

coflropter on
    VEIYCZd.png
  • Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    coflropter wrote: »
    builderr0r wrote: »

I believe there's a Cheeseboy kiosk in South Station.

Edit: Yes there is.

Lol, I forgot about that one. That would be much more convenient. And there's a Pinkberry there too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    You guys really make me wish I was a "foodie"... last year at East, I ended up eating Dunkin Donuts for almost every meal due to convenience and cost. Their breakfast sandwiches are delicious!

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• Options
    HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    I would stay away from the over priced, crap food BCEC sells. A pizza is like 9 bucks...and it is awful.

I only ate convention centre food during East 2012 including 2+ bottles of Mountain Dew Code Red per day...it was a tragic mistake.

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular

Yankee Lobster around the corner is great and does their food take out! Which is good because they are tiny and have very limited seating.

and then James Hook and Co is just down the street from that even, and has really good lobster rolls. Last year was warm enough for us to sit outside and people-watch, but I don't think we'll be doing that this year

• Options
    arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    Oh hey. I haven't logged on to the forums in a while. If you need to know anything about food and Boston, ask me. Obviously a bit short notice to get a reservation at a number of places, but I've spent the past 10 years eating just about everywhere this city has to offer ... I'm sure I can help you find something.

As for the person who was looking for decent BBQ near the convention center - sadly boston and bbq don't really mix, but lucky for you one of the decent places in town is right in the area - Larry J's BBQ. If anybody tells you Redbones, they are incredibly wrong. Their hushpuppies are like sawdust and their bbq is mediocre. The better joints are mostly out of the city a bit.

Looks like most of the other questions were answered with some good options.

I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • Options
    scrattatat wrote: »
    The chicken and rice guys truck is I think going to be near(ish) to the convention center on Friday, and might be out on the weekend as well?

Anyway, chicken and rice guys is hands down my favorite quick food place.

I *really* hope they will camp out all weekend, that'd be wonderful news.

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    TennbergTennberg Boston, MARegistered User regular
    arsonisfun wrote: »
    Oh hey. I haven't logged on to the forums in a while. If you need to know anything about food and Boston, ask me. Obviously a bit short notice to get a reservation at a number of places, but I've spent the past 10 years eating just about everywhere this city has to offer ... I'm sure I can help you find something.

As for the person who was looking for decent BBQ near the convention center - sadly boston and bbq don't really mix, but lucky for you one of the decent places in town is right in the area - Larry J's BBQ. If anybody tells you Redbones, they are incredibly wrong. Their hushpuppies are like sawdust and their bbq is mediocre. The better joints are mostly out of the city a bit.

I never understood the love for Redbones either. It's ok, but nothing memorable. Did you ever try Uncle Pete's for BBQ when it was in East Boston (or when they moved to Revere)? I miss that place dearly.

• Options
    darksteelreaprdarksteelreapr Registered User regular
    What is the best place for seafood in Boston? I really want to enjoy some seafood one night. Note price isn't much of an option (as long as it's not astronomical) and if it is a buffet that's even sweeter. Also is there a great steakhouse in town as well?

• Options
    KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    I don't know of any seafood buffet offhand, but as for steakhouse, there is a Morton's Steakhouse within a quarter mile of the con, next door to the Seaport hotel. It's not cheap of course, but I ate there once last year and the food was excellent.

• Options
    chenry888chenry888 Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Omnilink wrote: »
    I don't think this has been asked yet, but where is the closest or easiest to get to grocery store from the BCEC/Westin? And how would I get to it?

I'll be flying in from the frozen north, so I can't really pack much food. But would like to not have to eat out for every meal.

The Stop and Shop is a giant, proper grocery store. It's a bit of a walk from the train station (note: the commuter train, not the 'T'). We usually Uber or Cab it back instead of trying to carry our groceries through multiple transfers on public transit.

Alternatively, if you just want to pick up basics, try JC Pace and Sons. It's a few blocks from the con, but they have a small bodega with fresh goods, staples and a great deli counter. It's definitely the closest non-7-11 option.

Good call on using ridesharing to get around!
    I found out that Lyft is giving new users 4 free rides with this code [mod edit: nope]

Can't wait for PAX!
    Have fun everyone!!

ceres on
  • Options
    chenry888chenry888 Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Boston native here!

Here are some good options in Boston -

Seafood:
    Row 34
    The Charthouse
    Legal Seafoods (tourist trappy but good)
    No Name Restaurant

Steakhouse:
    Grill 23
    Del Frisco's
    Abe and Louie's
    Mooo
    The Capital Grille
    Palm Restaurant

Generally awesome food:
    Blue Dragon
    Tavern Road
    Saus
    Tip Tap
    Trade
    Alden & Harlow
    Russell House Tavern
    Grafton Street
    Park
    Puritan & Company
    Highland Kitchen

chenry888 on
  • Options
    Brew78Brew78 Registered User regular

On the topic of reservations, I don't know how many restaurants have signed on to OpenTable.com, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try if you know ahead of time which place you want to go to.

Actually.. just talked to the wife and reserved for 2 at Fire+Ice Saturday night. She likes that place even more than I do.

• Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    what are some of the best bars to hit up in the fanual hall area looking for pub type but also a place were u can dance and interact and not just have to sit at a table

• Options
    Literally within the Quincy Market building (the building right next door to Faneuil Hall) there's a place that I think fits the description - Ned Devine's Irish Pub. They have live music on Saturday nights and it's generally a pretty high energy fun place to be.

• Options
    KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    This is closer to the con and it's not a PAX party, but they will be having a St Patricks party at Harpoon on Friday and Saturday with bands:
    http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/festivals/2127/2015-harpoon-st-patrick-s-festival

• Options
    trinistandtrinistand Registered User regular
    Some quick lists.

Seafood:
    Yankee Lobster
    James Hook Lobster
    B&G Oyster
    Island Creek Oyster
    Row 34 (Same restaurant group as Island Creek)
    Neptune Oyster (probably not worth all of the waiting)
    Legal Sea Foods

Sushi:
    O Ya (Though one of the most expensive restaurants in Boston)
    Genki Ya (Chinatown)
    Avena? (Chinatown. It's inside a cell phone store, pretty cheap)

Chinese:
    Gourmet Dumpling House (This is *the* dumpling tourist trap in Boston, I usually go to the two below)
    Dumpling Cafe
    Taiwan Cafe
    Clay Pot Cafe
    AYCE hotpot (can't remember the name but it's by the gate in chinatown)
    Gene's Flatbread Cafe (though I'm not sure what his hours are on the weekends)
    Best Little Restaurant
    New Jumbo Seafood
    Hei La Moon (for dim sum)
    Winsor dim sum cafe

Fancy:
    O Ya
    L'Espalier
    Menton
    Craigie on Main
    Mistral
    Salts

Fancy drinks:
    Drink
    Brick & Mortar
    Backbar
    Tavern Road
    Craigie on Main

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Tennberg wrote: »

I never understood the love for Redbones either. It's ok, but nothing memorable. Did you ever try Uncle Pete's for BBQ when it was in East Boston (or when they moved to Revere)? I miss that place dearly.

Uncle Pete's was the bomb!
    What is the best place for seafood in Boston? I really want to enjoy some seafood one night. Note price isn't much of an option (as long as it's not astronomical) and if it is a buffet that's even sweeter. Also is there a great steakhouse in town as well?

Best? Depends on what you like. My top picks would be Neptune Oyster, B&G Oyster, and Island Creek Oyster Bar. Oceanaire is decent, easy to get in to, and somewhat close to BCEC.

Buffet? There's no such thing as a good buffet.

Steak? Grill 23 or Mooo I'd say. KO Prime was by far the place to go, but they closed :( Del Friscos and Mortons are both close to BCEC and are fairly good.

rascrush wrote: »
    what are some of the best bars to hit up in the fanual hall area looking for pub type but also a place were u can dance and interact and not just have to sit at a table

The Black Rose has both, Ned Devines has both. Mr. Dooleys and Kinsale are both very close to Faneuil Hall and a pretty good bet for pub food. Dancing in Faneuil - take your pick. If you're getting messy, Hong Kong. Sissy K's is ok, Wild Rover is ok, Hennessy's is ok.

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    ElzemereElzemere BostonRegistered User regular
    Financial District worker here.
    Not going to give all my best haunts, but here's some other places in the fanueil hall/atlantic ave area.

trade-boston
    batterypark
    sakurabana
    maxsdelicafe
    howlatthemoon
    bostoniapublichouse

Avoid at all costs:
    Coogan's
    Central Wharf Co. (the place next to it is pretty nice though ^_- )
    Crush Pizza

If you want to experience a bit of Boston history before its torn down for condos later this year, check out:
    timesirishpub.com/
    littlestbar.com/
    Conveniently located next to each other.

• Options
    Im a burger person, best burger in walking distance of bcec? Dont mind up to a 20min walk.

• Options
    TyshalleTyshalle Registered User regular
    Im a burger person, best burger in walking distance of bcec? Dont mind up to a 20min walk.

UBurger next to Faneuil is pushing on that 20 minute limit but it's probably the best in the area. Blue Dragon, despite being an Asian place, actually has an excellent burger but getting in there will be a nightmare as it's a small place. It was mentioned before but KO Pies is a must hit. It's walkable from the BCEC and it's kind of like an Australian take on a burger. I work in the area and walk over there regularly.

• Options
    HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    Tyshalle wrote: »

UBurger next to Faneuil is pushing on that 20 minute limit but it's probably the best in the area. Blue Dragon, despite being an Asian place, actually has an excellent burger but getting in there will be a nightmare as it's a small place. It was mentioned before but KO Pies is a must hit. It's walkable from the BCEC and it's kind of like an Australian take on a burger. I work in the area and walk over there regularly.

UBurger is solid, I've been to the one at Park Place a few times. For anyone willing to make a long commute (or more likely, staying in a hotel near that area anyways) I would recommend Shake Shack at Harvard Square and chase it down with one of the decadent options from Insomnia Cookie down the street.

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Options
    rtm416rtm416 NYRegistered User regular
    Headhunter wrote: »

UBurger is solid, I've been to the one at Park Place a few times. For anyone willing to make a long commute (or more likely, staying in a hotel near that area anyways) I would recommend Shake Shack at Harvard Square and chase it down with one of the decadent options from Insomnia Cookie down the street.

They have a Shake Shack?! Man, I guess I will get my fix even if I'm not in NYC.

SK3ozR5.png
  • Options
    bostongirl97bostongirl97 Charlestown, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I know that other people have said it already but J Pace over by the Boston Fish Pier is a great option, you can get anything from hot/cold subs to pasta to fresh fruit.

bostongirl97 on
  • Options
    MisterVanMisterVan Registered User new member
    edited March 2015
    For some delicious ramen, check out Santouka in Harvard Square. It's a five minute walk from Harvard Station (Red Line). It's a new place that just opened up so there might be a line. You can ask to be put on the wait list and they will text you when you are ready to be seated. Highly recommended!
    1 Bow St
    Cambridge, MA 02138

Tea Do Contemporary Tea House is amazing for refreshments. Super cool environment where you can play games while you enjoy your drinks. Try the Zen Awakening! It's a 7 minute walk from South Station (Red Line) or 12 minute walk from Downtown Crossing (Red Line)
    8 Tyler St
    Boston, MA 02111

If you like affordable steak, check out Silvertone in Downtown Boston. You can grab delicious steak tips and mashed potatoes for $18 with tip. They have some other amazing dishes you can try without hurting your rent money. They also have an open bar.
    69 Bromfield St
    Boston, MA 02108

For anyone looking for brunch without waiting in line, check out Dot2Dot Cafe. It's about a 10 minute walk from Shawmut Station (Red Line). The food is great and the price is affordable. The only downside is the food can take about 30 minutes to make.
    1739 Dorchester Ave
    Dorchester, MA 02124

Just be careful of the Chinatown restaurants in Boston. Most of them were temporary banned for a few days due to health violations recently including rat infestations and sewer leakage.

MisterVan on
  • Options
    ElzemereElzemere BostonRegistered User regular

UBurger next to Faneuil is pushing on that 20 minute limit but it's probably the best in the area.

That uburger no longer exists sadly. At least last I saw the windows had brown paper on it with a bank symbol on it.
    I will also recommend The Wheelhouse in the same area. If you like greasy burgers, its good stuff. Don't count on fries though. Their Creole Burger is awesome.
    Further up Summer st from South station is a Five Guys as well.

If you go to Harvard Sq. for Shake Shack there's also a tasty burger, and for those coming from Jersey/NYC a brick and mortar The Taco Truck.

• Options
    Brew78Brew78 Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    A bit late for the way down, but for the way back I just read in the paper this morning that the new (and 3rd) Red Arrow Diner has officially opened its doors at the plaza off exit 5 on 93 in NH. It's a fairly well known diner in Manchester. Also, a state liquor store is in the same plaza if you're not going to be going by the giant one in Hooksett anyway.

Brew78 on
  • Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    To whomever mentioned the Chicken&Rice truck: Thanks! Very good cheap eat on Friday :)

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Just FYI, today, six popular Boston food trucks (including the chicken & rice guys) were parked outside, in a little park, right next to the Expo center, maybe 50 feet from the queue line entrance doors on the lower level. Hopefully they'll be there on Sunday too. I don't know how the food trucks managed to get permission to park so close by, but it was the first decent lunch I've ever had at PAX East.

iTNdmYl.png