Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Valkyria Chronicles] You Got Your RPG in my World War 2 - VC4 on PC Sept 25!

1235726

Posts

  • milskimilski Their Will comes, at last, to Earth, to the Neath, as a storm crosses the sea. Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Suriko wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Go to HQ, Castlefront Street and buy the reports from Ellet. They get expensive after the first two, but you should buy them all because some of them have interesting missions and they unlock potentials for the soldier they're about.

    There's one that's a hostage rescue or something - you basically have only grunts, you need to move far, fast, and slay everything quickly. Oh, and Welkin's back on foot for it.

    It's basically all about scouts and maybe a shock. And probably Largo sitting back for the free CP but you'll never move him (unless maybe to mortar, don't recall the terrain).

    There's also a hilarious way to cheese that, if it's the one I'm thinking of.
    Run Welkin up to the tank barricades. Have him throw a grenade near himself. The explosion will throw him over the parricades and right next to the flag.

    That's a different one. The hostage one makes it sound like it's some kind of stealth mission with lots of guards in positions that require careful motion to reach, but it really boils down to running scouts forward with your 4 CP and killing the 3 guards at point blank. The only unique feature is that if you end your turn with anybody not hiding in grass, you lose (rather than actually make you lose if you get spotted, or something).

    Though that actually reminds me of a minor complaint I have with the game: Half the time, you start deployment and your soldiers just stand near sandbags without crouching, and then they get sniped every round until you decide to move them.

    milski on
    High, cold, eternal, immobile, minuscule. You endure; you burn.
    Iolo
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Nope, every time the unit has had ammo left, although its always been on a unit that has ammo (Sniper or Lancer), now that you mention it. Makes me think this is a bug.

    People with limited ammo gain a certain amount back every round - 1 round of ammo per battle round, IIRC, for Snipers and Lancers. This also happens with grenades, BTW.

    So, if you order more than 1 command to that unit each battle round (like, have your sniper take a couple headshots instead of just 1), there's a chance you could run out of ammo - your usage rate is higher than your regen rate.

    The two normal ways around that are 1) run an engineer up to the unit, which refills them to the max amount, or 2) have them go a round without shooting anything.

    Extra Shot is a potential that gives them an additional round of ammunition, which can let them fire longer before they need to take a break / find an engineer. It does not let them fire more than once per command point. It's like, "Hey, I found another bullet in my pocket," not "double tap."

    Make sense?

    Ah ok, I geddit. I guess I was confused because they decided to name it "extra shot" when what it really means is "extra ammo". Or possibly "I had a spare rocket stashed up my arse this whole time".
    That mission does a piss-poor job of communicating this vital information in any sort of reasonably understandable fashion.

    I've beaten the game and that's one of my biggest criticisms. It's never entirely clear what you're supposed to do or what's happening.

    Agreed. There really needs to be a way to check what potentials actually do during a battle, because AFAIK there isn't one and I always forget to check my squad for new ones in-between missions. So for example I've got Oscar who is apparently "Cowardly", but I've never had it proc, so I have no idea when that's going to bite me in the arse or what it'll do when it does. Also the new potentials are frequently bad things, so I suddenly realized last session that Coby now hates Alicia, which he didn't before. So clearly there's no reason to keep him in the squad given I'm always going to be taking Alicia for the extra command point (and because she's great).

    Another feature I'm only just starting to use is having soldiers who like each other pair up. I had no idea what soldiers liking each other actually affected at first, but turns out it means they can both fire together if one of them fires when the other is nearby, which is amazing. However, I've only had it work on my scouts so far. I've deliberately kept Largo and Jann together as much as possible, but I've never had them both fire rockets together. I have however had an engineer fire with Largo... which was pretty useless since he was firing at a tank but 10/10 for effort. So is it only units with infinite ammo that can provide supporting fire?

    Space.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, lancers and snipers won't provide supporting fire.

    The Edelweiss however, WILL. And it's about as devastating as you'd think to have the tank guns firing for free.

    And Alicia is the best scout, period. Even without the free CP you'd basically deploy her every battle.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Elvenshae
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Yeah, lancers and snipers won't provide supporting fire.

    The Edelweiss however, WILL. And it's about as devastating as you'd think to have the tank guns firing for free.

    And Alicia is the best scout, period. Even without the free CP you'd basically deploy her every battle.

    All your officers are the best at their respective classes. They tend to have above average hp and accuracy for their class.

    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

    Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Huh, so it sounds like sticking Jann with Largo was pointless then. That's a shame, he's pretty funny when he's with Largo :)

    Space.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Yeah, lancers and snipers won't provide supporting fire.

    The Edelweiss however, WILL. And it's about as devastating as you'd think to have the tank guns firing for free.

    And Alicia is the best scout, period. Even without the free CP you'd basically deploy her every battle.

    All your officers are the best at their respective classes. They tend to have above average hp and accuracy for their class.

    The potentials Alicia has are ridiculous.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Antinumeric
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Yeah, lancers and snipers won't provide supporting fire.

    The Edelweiss however, WILL. And it's about as devastating as you'd think to have the tank guns firing for free.

    And Alicia is the best scout, period. Even without the free CP you'd basically deploy her every battle.

    All your officers are the best at their respective classes. They tend to have above average hp and accuracy for their class.

    I'm not so sure about Rosie. I mean, she's good, but Jane and Lynn are holding their own petty well in comparison, as is Vyse.

    And Largo's not as good as the secret lancer. Not that any lancers are much good, but...

  • milskimilski Their Will comes, at last, to Earth, to the Neath, as a storm crosses the sea. Registered User regular
    Shock troopers are basically interchangable, and Rosie taking zero damage from interception fire quite often is a lot better and comes online earlier than other abilities that support the "tanking interception fire to kill something scouts can't safely approach" playstyle. If it's not crouched or a tank, it's better to use a scout; if it is, then (orders permitting) you use a shock trooper.

    Shock troopers are also better than lancers at killing tanks in most situations, which I find hilarious.

    High, cold, eternal, immobile, minuscule. You endure; you burn.
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Huh, so it sounds like sticking Jann with Largo was pointless then. That's a shame, he's pretty funny when he's with Largo :)

    Well Jann still gets to use his potential from being around men.

    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

    Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    Elvenshae
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Jann gets a really good set of potentials down the line, to the point where if they trigger he can demolish tanks with one shot from any angle. Where lancers are needed I deploy Largo for the CP, then drop Jann right next to him and let him do the heavy lifting.

    One of the better things VC2 implemented was being able to promote squaddies of your choice to leaders, meaning you didn't have to stick every plot-critical characters in every mission. If modders ever do any serious tweaking to VC, I hope something like that is high on the list.

    Stolls on
    lR4K8ZJ.png
    Shadowrun skillcheck guides: Dragonfall, Hong Kong
    Darth_MogsMr RayAntinumeric
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    Jann gets a really good set of potentials down the line, to the point where if they trigger he can demolish tanks with one shot from any angle. Where lancers are needed I deploy Largo for the CP, then drop Jann right next to him and let him do the heavy lifting.

    One of the better things VC2 implemented was being able to promote squaddies of your choice to leaders, meaning you didn't have to stick every plot-critical characters in every mission. If modders ever do any serious tweaking to VC, I hope something like that is high on the list.

    Yeah, they give me a squad of nine, but realistically I'm only ever actually choosing five of them, since I have to take Welkin and there's no reason I wouldn't take Alicia, Rosie and Largo.

    Space.
    ElvenshaePLA
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Polaritie wrote: »
    And Alicia is the best scout, period. Even without the free CP you'd basically deploy her every battle.

    And then she starts shooting lasers.
    But then they're like. NOPE.
    Thanks Welkin. Your power of love sucks.

    Twenty Sided on
    Antinumericnever die
  • DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Huh, so it sounds like sticking Jann with Largo was pointless then. That's a shame, he's pretty funny when he's with Largo :)

    Well Jann still gets to use his potential from being around men.

    He also gets Largo Lover, which makes him extra-stupid powerful once it procs around him.

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Minor chapter 7 and 13 spoilers/opinions:
    I would have paid $Texas in cash for a proper boss fight against Selvaria in Valkyria mode, rather than just have her be an invincible obstacle who gives up with the rest of her army once you take out the Batomys/stick a flag in their camp. I'm talking going the full nine and properly depicting what a bunch of bog-standard humans would have to plausibly do to stand a chance against someone that obscenely powerful: setting up overwhelming and overlapping fire, likely taking heavy losses, launching distracting attacks with lighter units so heavier weapons can get into position, etc.

    Basically I wanted something like this:



    Alas, it was not to be.

    Stolls on
    lR4K8ZJ.png
    Shadowrun skillcheck guides: Dragonfall, Hong Kong
    PLA
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Man, I forgot how easy it was to screw up a mission.
    Chapter 4:
    AKA Operation Shut Up Largo And Rosie, I'm Driving My Tank Through A F---ing River. (I'm not allowed to name any more operations)
    I've played this all before (years ago, but), so I figure I can go for an A rank.
    I stick my sniper (Oscar, since he's the best option I have at the moment) in the guard tower, take out one scout and cripple two tanks.
    I take the first camp with Alicia, and set up behind the sandbags. Ted sets up beside her.
    Largo finishes off the first tank, Rosie provides interception fire, and I deploy the rest of my team from the new camp.
    Enemy turn, and a sniper I hadn't even seen shoots Alicia from super-long distance. That's okay, she's crouched, she can take a hit. She can even take two, which is handy, because she does (with 3hp left).
    Then a shocktrooper comes out of a side alley and mows her down by using her as a backstop for killing Ted. To add insult to injury, he then runs up and kills Ted before I have a chance to reach him.
    It's an obvious reset, but I have to wait for my turn to do so, which means I get to watch the tank near the objective base headshot Oscar right out of his guard tower from across the map.

    TL,DR; I hate enemy snipers, especially when they're in tanks.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Elvenshae
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Man, I forgot how easy it was to screw up a mission.
    Chapter 4:
    AKA Operation Shut Up Largo And Rosie, I'm Driving My Tank Through A F---ing River. (I'm not allowed to name any more operations)
    I've played this all before (years ago, but), so I figure I can go for an A rank.
    I stick my sniper (Oscar, since he's the best option I have at the moment) in the guard tower, take out one scout and cripple two tanks.
    I take the first camp with Alicia, and set up behind the sandbags. Ted sets up beside her.
    Largo finishes off the first tank, Rosie provides interception fire, and I deploy the rest of my team from the new camp.
    Enemy turn, and a sniper I hadn't even seen shoots Alicia from super-long distance. That's okay, she's crouched, she can take a hit. She can even take two, which is handy, because she does (with 3hp left).
    Then a shocktrooper comes out of a side alley and mows her down by using her as a backstop for killing Ted. To add insult to injury, he then runs up and kills Ted before I have a chance to reach him.
    It's an obvious reset, but I have to wait for my turn to do so, which means I get to watch the tank near the objective base headshot Oscar right out of his guard tower from across the map.

    TL,DR; I hate enemy snipers, especially when they're in tanks.

    I had a few missions where I was rusty at the game but pushed for an A-rank, and got harshly punished for it. I recommend playing through it, because you get some fun back and forth as you try to regroup.

    Ed Gruberman
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Patch time.
    • Fixed issues with tank movement at high frame rates.
    • Increased mouse sensitivity.
    • Fixed issues with audio balance in stereo/5.1.
    • Fixed rare crashes relating to memory allocation (e.g. when viewing unit stats in battle and exiting the HQ in book mode).

    Ed GrubermanAntinumericIolo
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Man, I forgot how easy it was to screw up a mission.
    Chapter 4:
    AKA Operation Shut Up Largo And Rosie, I'm Driving My Tank Through A F---ing River. (I'm not allowed to name any more operations)
    I've played this all before (years ago, but), so I figure I can go for an A rank.
    I stick my sniper (Oscar, since he's the best option I have at the moment) in the guard tower, take out one scout and cripple two tanks.
    I take the first camp with Alicia, and set up behind the sandbags. Ted sets up beside her.
    Largo finishes off the first tank, Rosie provides interception fire, and I deploy the rest of my team from the new camp.
    Enemy turn, and a sniper I hadn't even seen shoots Alicia from super-long distance. That's okay, she's crouched, she can take a hit. She can even take two, which is handy, because she does (with 3hp left).
    Then a shocktrooper comes out of a side alley and mows her down by using her as a backstop for killing Ted. To add insult to injury, he then runs up and kills Ted before I have a chance to reach him.
    It's an obvious reset, but I have to wait for my turn to do so, which means I get to watch the tank near the objective base headshot Oscar right out of his guard tower from across the map.

    TL,DR; I hate enemy snipers, especially when they're in tanks.

    I had a few missions where I was rusty at the game but pushed for an A-rank, and got harshly punished for it. I recommend playing through it, because you get some fun back and forth as you try to regroup.

    Yeah, I generally prefer to play individual missions straight and roll with the punches. The AI is the opposite of intelligent, but every now and then shit happens - I forget where a mine is, or that shocktrooper takes another crack at the almost-dead unit on the camp, or I tell myself "yeah that AT gun can see Alicia, but there's no way it can hit her from across the map" - and it's fun to try and scramble to recover. If I need cash or XP I just grind the skirmishes.

    lR4K8ZJ.png
    Shadowrun skillcheck guides: Dragonfall, Hong Kong
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Man, I forgot how easy it was to screw up a mission.
    Chapter 4:
    AKA Operation Shut Up Largo And Rosie, I'm Driving My Tank Through A F---ing River. (I'm not allowed to name any more operations)
    I've played this all before (years ago, but), so I figure I can go for an A rank.
    I stick my sniper (Oscar, since he's the best option I have at the moment) in the guard tower, take out one scout and cripple two tanks.
    I take the first camp with Alicia, and set up behind the sandbags. Ted sets up beside her.
    Largo finishes off the first tank, Rosie provides interception fire, and I deploy the rest of my team from the new camp.
    Enemy turn, and a sniper I hadn't even seen shoots Alicia from super-long distance. That's okay, she's crouched, she can take a hit. She can even take two, which is handy, because she does (with 3hp left).
    Then a shocktrooper comes out of a side alley and mows her down by using her as a backstop for killing Ted. To add insult to injury, he then runs up and kills Ted before I have a chance to reach him.
    It's an obvious reset, but I have to wait for my turn to do so, which means I get to watch the tank near the objective base headshot Oscar right out of his guard tower from across the map.

    TL,DR; I hate enemy snipers, especially when they're in tanks.

    I had a few missions where I was rusty at the game but pushed for an A-rank, and got harshly punished for it. I recommend playing through it, because you get some fun back and forth as you try to regroup.

    Yeah, I generally prefer to play individual missions straight and roll with the punches. The AI is the opposite of intelligent, but every now and then shit happens - I forget where a mine is, or that shocktrooper takes another crack at the almost-dead unit on the camp, or I tell myself "yeah that AT gun can see Alicia, but there's no way it can hit her from across the map" - and it's fun to try and scramble to recover. If I need cash or XP I just grind the skirmishes.

    Screwing up regular combat I'm totally fine with, especially for my first playthrough. However, some of the gimmicks they throw at me I just roll my eyes and restart.

  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Stolls wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Man, I forgot how easy it was to screw up a mission.
    Chapter 4:
    AKA Operation Shut Up Largo And Rosie, I'm Driving My Tank Through A F---ing River. (I'm not allowed to name any more operations)
    I've played this all before (years ago, but), so I figure I can go for an A rank.
    I stick my sniper (Oscar, since he's the best option I have at the moment) in the guard tower, take out one scout and cripple two tanks.
    I take the first camp with Alicia, and set up behind the sandbags. Ted sets up beside her.
    Largo finishes off the first tank, Rosie provides interception fire, and I deploy the rest of my team from the new camp.
    Enemy turn, and a sniper I hadn't even seen shoots Alicia from super-long distance. That's okay, she's crouched, she can take a hit. She can even take two, which is handy, because she does (with 3hp left).
    Then a shocktrooper comes out of a side alley and mows her down by using her as a backstop for killing Ted. To add insult to injury, he then runs up and kills Ted before I have a chance to reach him.
    It's an obvious reset, but I have to wait for my turn to do so, which means I get to watch the tank near the objective base headshot Oscar right out of his guard tower from across the map.

    TL,DR; I hate enemy snipers, especially when they're in tanks.

    I had a few missions where I was rusty at the game but pushed for an A-rank, and got harshly punished for it. I recommend playing through it, because you get some fun back and forth as you try to regroup.

    Yeah, I generally prefer to play individual missions straight and roll with the punches. The AI is the opposite of intelligent, but every now and then shit happens - I forget where a mine is, or that shocktrooper takes another crack at the almost-dead unit on the camp, or I tell myself "yeah that AT gun can see Alicia, but there's no way it can hit her from across the map" - and it's fun to try and scramble to recover. If I need cash or XP I just grind the skirmishes.

    Screwing up regular combat I'm totally fine with, especially for my first playthrough. However, some of the gimmicks they throw at me I just roll my eyes and restart.

    It does depend... At the very least, it let's you know it's an even playing field. When a sniper takes out someone from the length of the map away, I just consider them the enemy's Marina. Then I unleash Marina and have them duke it out Enemy At the Gates style.

    wbee62u815wj.png
    Elvenshae
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    Stolls wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Man, I forgot how easy it was to screw up a mission.
    Chapter 4:
    AKA Operation Shut Up Largo And Rosie, I'm Driving My Tank Through A F---ing River. (I'm not allowed to name any more operations)
    I've played this all before (years ago, but), so I figure I can go for an A rank.
    I stick my sniper (Oscar, since he's the best option I have at the moment) in the guard tower, take out one scout and cripple two tanks.
    I take the first camp with Alicia, and set up behind the sandbags. Ted sets up beside her.
    Largo finishes off the first tank, Rosie provides interception fire, and I deploy the rest of my team from the new camp.
    Enemy turn, and a sniper I hadn't even seen shoots Alicia from super-long distance. That's okay, she's crouched, she can take a hit. She can even take two, which is handy, because she does (with 3hp left).
    Then a shocktrooper comes out of a side alley and mows her down by using her as a backstop for killing Ted. To add insult to injury, he then runs up and kills Ted before I have a chance to reach him.
    It's an obvious reset, but I have to wait for my turn to do so, which means I get to watch the tank near the objective base headshot Oscar right out of his guard tower from across the map.

    TL,DR; I hate enemy snipers, especially when they're in tanks.

    I had a few missions where I was rusty at the game but pushed for an A-rank, and got harshly punished for it. I recommend playing through it, because you get some fun back and forth as you try to regroup.

    Yeah, I generally prefer to play individual missions straight and roll with the punches. The AI is the opposite of intelligent, but every now and then shit happens - I forget where a mine is, or that shocktrooper takes another crack at the almost-dead unit on the camp, or I tell myself "yeah that AT gun can see Alicia, but there's no way it can hit her from across the map" - and it's fun to try and scramble to recover. If I need cash or XP I just grind the skirmishes.

    Screwing up regular combat I'm totally fine with, especially for my first playthrough. However, some of the gimmicks they throw at me I just roll my eyes and restart.

    It does depend... At the very least, it let's you know it's an even playing field. When a sniper takes out someone from the length of the map away, I just consider them the enemy's Marina. Then I unleash Marina and have them duke it out Enemy At the Gates War of the Rats style.

    I was not a fan of them meeting eye to eye in the movie before Zaitsev shoots Koenig/Thorvald.

    GONG-00 on
    Future Employee of Planetary Acquisitions, Inc.
    pNRtexA.png
    Geth
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    I only just noticed that Gallia is in the shape of a unicorns head....

    meGkINq.jpg

    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    ElvenshaeIoloSpiritfirePLAKristmas Kthulhu
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    To be fair, you don't see the map that often.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • heenatoheenato Registered User regular
    I only just noticed that Gallia is in the shape of a unicorns head....

    meGkINq.jpg
    I guess that explains Cordelia's stupid hat.

    M A G I K A Z A M
    Antinumeric
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Uhhh.

    It's possible that they know.

    Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    oh they know. everything about this country is about unicorns

    notoriusben_zpsa205e831.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    PLA
  • DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    I am up to the final boss.

    Holy hell is this an obnoxious, annoying slog.

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I've reached the point in R&D where there are different paths for weapon upgrades. Are they exclusive? If I pick one path, does it close the others? If so, are there paths that are considered better than others? I can't really tell what the various effects are.

  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    I've reached the point in R&D where there are different paths for weapon upgrades. Are they exclusive? If I pick one path, does it close the others? If so, are there paths that are considered better than others? I can't really tell what the various effects are.

    You can develop each path without cutting off the others. Each tree is a separate weapon though so you'll have to equip which ones you want on your team. Also your squad tends to auto-equip the latest weapon you've developed for their class so be sure it's the one you want them using.

    I went for firepower over everything else, the exception being accuracy for sniper rifles. The status effects could have been an interesting mechanic and the comp can show you how effective they are against you, but it comes at the cost of lower accuracy, damage, and shots fired. It's a more effective use of CP to just outright kill them then to leave them alive albeit debuffed. So after trying to make these weapons work I just switched back to firepower with the exception being machine guns when the additional ammo tech tree opened up.

    In the end it is really up to you and what you like and they give you plenty of money later on so dipping in to the various trees won't put you that far back. Plus there are skirmishes to make some extra exp/cash.

    Iolo
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    I've reached the point in R&D where there are different paths for weapon upgrades. Are they exclusive? If I pick one path, does it close the others? If so, are there paths that are considered better than others? I can't really tell what the various effects are.

    You can develop each path without cutting off the others. Each tree is a separate weapon though so you'll have to equip which ones you want on your team. Also your squad tends to auto-equip the latest weapon you've developed for their class so be sure it's the one you want them using.

    I went for firepower over everything else, the exception being accuracy for sniper rifles. The status effects could have been an interesting mechanic and the comp can show you how effective they are against you, but it comes at the cost of lower accuracy, damage, and shots fired. It's a more effective use of CP to just outright kill them then to leave them alive albeit debuffed. So after trying to make these weapons work I just switched back to firepower with the exception being machine guns when the additional ammo tech tree opened up.

    In the end it is really up to you and what you like and they give you plenty of money later on so dipping in to the various trees won't put you that far back. Plus there are skirmishes to make some extra exp/cash.
    If you had as low damage as the computer then status effect weapons would be effective. You could lower everyones damage one turn and slowly kill them.
    However since most of your units can one shot the enemy they are pretty pointless.

    I did use debuffs in the second game quite effectively however.

    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    I've reached the point in R&D where there are different paths for weapon upgrades. Are they exclusive? If I pick one path, does it close the others? If so, are there paths that are considered better than others? I can't really tell what the various effects are.

    You can develop each path without cutting off the others. Each tree is a separate weapon though so you'll have to equip which ones you want on your team. Also your squad tends to auto-equip the latest weapon you've developed for their class so be sure it's the one you want them using.

    I went for firepower over everything else, the exception being accuracy for sniper rifles. The status effects could have been an interesting mechanic and the comp can show you how effective they are against you, but it comes at the cost of lower accuracy, damage, and shots fired. It's a more effective use of CP to just outright kill them then to leave them alive albeit debuffed. So after trying to make these weapons work I just switched back to firepower with the exception being machine guns when the additional ammo tech tree opened up.

    In the end it is really up to you and what you like and they give you plenty of money later on so dipping in to the various trees won't put you that far back. Plus there are skirmishes to make some extra exp/cash.
    If you had as low damage as the computer then status effect weapons would be effective. You could lower everyones damage one turn and slowly kill them.
    However since most of your units can one shot the enemy they are pretty pointless.

    I did use debuffs in the second game quite effectively however.

    You didn't just let Emilia cut everything to pieces?

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    I've reached the point in R&D where there are different paths for weapon upgrades. Are they exclusive? If I pick one path, does it close the others? If so, are there paths that are considered better than others? I can't really tell what the various effects are.

    You can develop each path without cutting off the others. Each tree is a separate weapon though so you'll have to equip which ones you want on your team. Also your squad tends to auto-equip the latest weapon you've developed for their class so be sure it's the one you want them using.

    I went for firepower over everything else, the exception being accuracy for sniper rifles. The status effects could have been an interesting mechanic and the comp can show you how effective they are against you, but it comes at the cost of lower accuracy, damage, and shots fired. It's a more effective use of CP to just outright kill them then to leave them alive albeit debuffed. So after trying to make these weapons work I just switched back to firepower with the exception being machine guns when the additional ammo tech tree opened up.

    In the end it is really up to you and what you like and they give you plenty of money later on so dipping in to the various trees won't put you that far back. Plus there are skirmishes to make some extra exp/cash.
    If you had as low damage as the computer then status effect weapons would be effective. You could lower everyones damage one turn and slowly kill them.
    However since most of your units can one shot the enemy they are pretty pointless.

    I did use debuffs in the second game quite effectively however.

    You didn't just let Emilia cut everything to pieces?
    Never found her.

    I did use the sword dudes liberally.

    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    I've reached the point in R&D where there are different paths for weapon upgrades. Are they exclusive? If I pick one path, does it close the others? If so, are there paths that are considered better than others? I can't really tell what the various effects are.

    You can develop each path without cutting off the others. Each tree is a separate weapon though so you'll have to equip which ones you want on your team. Also your squad tends to auto-equip the latest weapon you've developed for their class so be sure it's the one you want them using.

    I went for firepower over everything else, the exception being accuracy for sniper rifles. The status effects could have been an interesting mechanic and the comp can show you how effective they are against you, but it comes at the cost of lower accuracy, damage, and shots fired. It's a more effective use of CP to just outright kill them then to leave them alive albeit debuffed. So after trying to make these weapons work I just switched back to firepower with the exception being machine guns when the additional ammo tech tree opened up.

    In the end it is really up to you and what you like and they give you plenty of money later on so dipping in to the various trees won't put you that far back. Plus there are skirmishes to make some extra exp/cash.
    If you had as low damage as the computer then status effect weapons would be effective. You could lower everyones damage one turn and slowly kill them.
    However since most of your units can one shot the enemy they are pretty pointless.

    I did use debuffs in the second game quite effectively however.

    You didn't just let Emilia cut everything to pieces?
    Never found her.

    I did use the sword dudes liberally.

    You need a PSP2 save for her. Her potentials are about as insane as Alicia's, except that she's a class with stupid offense ability.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I found that the extra shots was best for Shocktroopers, because damage * bullets fired makes that the highest damage. Accuracy for snipers, since a headshot is a one hit kill anyway. Rifles go damage, because they're already pretty accurate, and more damage + more shots is pretty significant. More damage for flamethrowers, because it kills everything in one or two hits so a debuff is pointless. And I never used mortars because I never use lancers.

    DivideByZero
  • milskimilski Their Will comes, at last, to Earth, to the Neath, as a storm crosses the sea. Registered User regular
    In theory the big use of damage over bullets for shock troopers, and status effects for scouts and shock troopers, is that it makes you far better at reaction firing. The problem is reaction fire sucks for you because computers fire near instantly when in range, end near instantly afterwards, and shock troopers have low range. And you kill everything on your turns and cheese it anyway.

    High, cold, eternal, immobile, minuscule. You endure; you burn.
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I always used reaction fire to reliably stop an advance, rather than to kill enemies. They never keep going if they get hit unless it's a scripted move, which means that they're usually left standing out in the open, ready for get mown down by just about anybody.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    In theory the big use of damage over bullets for shock troopers, and status effects for scouts and shock troopers, is that it makes you far better at reaction firing. The problem is reaction fire sucks for you because computers fire near instantly when in range, end near instantly afterwards, and shock troopers have low range. And you kill everything on your turns and cheese it anyway.

    I get the concept, it could work. And you can do both, give one scout a debuff and all the others the damage boost.

    I just find that in almost every game, you have a few powerful guys that take a lot of killing, and your enemies have many weak guys, so debuffs work well on you but you're better off killing your enemies than softening them up.

    AntinumericDivideByZeroElvenshaeStollsPLA
  • EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    I am up to the final boss.

    Holy hell is this an obnoxious, annoying slog.

    I beat the final boss in 3 turns :/

  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    This game amuses me to no end. Just ran up to someone and unloaded a magazine into their back?

    TIME FOR A SELFIE AND A ONE LINER!


    Makes me smile every time. So, uh, I guess I smile a lot. Its great.

    9KmX8eN.jpg
    EvmaAlsarOats
  • DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    I am up to the final boss.

    Holy hell is this an obnoxious, annoying slog.

    I beat the final boss in 3 turns :/

    '___'

    It'd be helpful if I didn't have to waste seven CPs per turn killing respawning towers and laying down smoke

    And if he didn't get healed every turn

    And if sniper bullets didn't bounce off his face harmlessly

    I got five turns in, saved, and haven't gone back yet

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
Sign In or Register to comment.