As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fear [The Walking Thread]]: Also fear SPOILERS, of which there are many in here!

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Negan is working great for me... as a finale. I don't want the show to continue after this, to try and 'one up' this or reset things to roadtrip misery or anything like that. I want Season 8 to be the end, with this being the last big thing they gotta deal with.

Pfffft ha ha ha ha ha ha

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I also have a hard time praising Jeff's performance because to me it seems like one of those situations where they saw him in something else (Watchmen) and went "come be that same guy in our show also"

those being the only two things I've seen him in it's not fair to say he lacks range, but it does take away from my ability to appreciate it?

LaCabra on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Negan is working great for me... as a finale. I don't want the show to continue after this, to try and 'one up' this or reset things to roadtrip misery or anything like that. I want Season 8 to be the end, with this being the last big thing they gotta deal with.

Pfffft ha ha ha ha ha ha

you don't think it's ending at 8? They're already having to pay the cast so much per episode that the seasons gotta be split up into all these segmented storylines to keep appearances down. And it looks like the ratings went off a cliff this year. Seems like wrap up time. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    Spoiler'd for my dumbass theory
    I think that they WILL end it with Negan, exactly like in the comic, except there will be waaaaaay more dead cast members. But a part of me wants them to end it facing the Whisperer's. Have them show up during the Negan war, force Alexandria/Kingdumb/Hilltop/FishFuckers to join forces to beat the Whisperer's massive undead army

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Melkster wrote: »
    Feel like after that crazy first episode, they've finally settled into a theme for this season:
    Actually, the Saviors are bad.

Seriously some ridiculous wheelspinning going on. Also, how were there a million encampments around Alexandria and NO ONE knew.

Alexandria general
    The geography here in general is a little weird.

The actual, real-life Alexandria is a city. There's a pretty urban downtown and then residential suburbs. In the show, it's, what, one little neighborhood surrounded by miles of dense forest, and the local highway is just a piddly little podunk road?

I could kind of forgive them not finding other local settlements. They're miles away from each other, which means you've got lots of room to scavenge before you head out that far. But the show needs to add a sense of scale, plus it's weird that they find all these places at once--finding Hilltop, than finding multiple groups of Saviors, then finding the Kingdom, then finding the amazons, all in a brief period. It would've been more believable if everything was more interconnected, they found one of the groups which more directly led them to discovering the others.

Also, re:last episode
    What are the odds that the "something interesting" Rick has to give Negan for the next haul ends up being the location of the new hidden group?I'm waffling on what I think their ultimate role will be, if any.

Well, they have found plenty of settlements in the past. They've just turned out to be really bad places to be. This is the first time they're uncovering places that aren't entirely terrible.

Anyway, about Alexandria: I thought I remembered from last season that this Alexandria is not at all like the real-life one. This one was a very new, relatively upscale community that had just been developed, located pretty far from DC. I believe that parts of it were still under construction, which is how they had enough materials for the walls.

I know they've seen other settlements. I have seen the show. I'm not talking about those settlements. It is unlikely that Alexandria (located in Northern Virginia) was going to run into places like Woodbury or Terminus (located in Georgia), and I'm not concerned about that. I'm talking about how Alexandria (in the DC metro area) has gone several years without seeing any of the other DC area communities and then it happens to stumble across four of them within a rather brief period of time without any real connection between the three discoveries.

Show Alexandria is definitely the real life city of Alexandria. They live in a new residential neighborhood that is in the pre-zombie city of Alexandria, it is not the entirety of the pre-zombie city of Alexandria--but that neighborhood could never exist in real life. As I said, they're mostly making up the geography to fit their purposes, and in this case it doesn't really work well at all because of the lack of any sense of scale.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I wrote out my live thoughts on MTV Crib's Negan Edition. Can't deny for a single moment that Jeffrey Dean Morgan is a fantastic character actor. But I also have to wonder why it took us 7 episodes to get here.

At this point the show has become pretty frustrating as it spins the wheels. Finally, characters are beginning to interact with one another.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KongoKongo Registered User regular
    I must have missed something so I'm hoping y'all can explain this: Last season, when Gregory was introduced, he was immediately stabbed and Hilltop was told they had to deliver his head to Negan or face dire consequences. So, Rick and friends grab a walker that roughly looks like Gregory, takes its head to the Saviors outpost, and uses it to fool the Saviors into letting them in. Much killing ensues, things turn ugly for Rick's gang afterwards, Season finale, Season Opener, yada yada yada, we get to the episode a couple weeks ago when Simon and some Saviors show up at Hilltop to take stuff.

My question is, since Negan demanded Gregory's head prior to all this, why was Simon a.) not angry that Gregory was still alive and b.) didn't even seem to acknowledge the fact that Negan had made the threat in the first place? Like, as soon as he showed up and saw Gregory alive and well with head intact, why didn't he say or do something? As I said, I must have missed something or forgotten something because nobody else seems to be curious about this. I'm hoping you guys can shed some light.

• Options
    Kongo wrote: »
    I must have missed something so I'm hoping y'all can explain this: Last season, when Gregory was introduced, he was immediately stabbed and Hilltop was told they had to deliver his head to Negan or face dire consequences. So, Rick and friends grab a walker that roughly looks like Gregory, takes its head to the Saviors outpost, and uses it to fool the Saviors into letting them in. Much killing ensues, things turn ugly for Rick's gang afterwards, Season finale, Season Opener, yada yada yada, we get to the episode a couple weeks ago when Simon and some Saviors show up at Hilltop to take stuff.

My question is, since Negan demanded Gregory's head prior to all this, why was Simon a.) not angry that Gregory was still alive and b.) didn't even seem to acknowledge the fact that Negan had made the threat in the first place? Like, as soon as he showed up and saw Gregory alive and well with head intact, why didn't he say or do something? As I said, I must have missed something or forgotten something because nobody else seems to be curious about this. I'm hoping you guys can shed some light.

Two possible answers, I can think of.

First off, shoddy writing. I had totally forgotten the details of that because I saw the episode almost a year ago, I just remembered Negan got some dude to attack Gregory. The writers wanted to show Gregory kowtowing to some Saviors, and they figured most of us wouldn't remember/care what happened.

Second off, it was to send a message. They didn't have anything against Gregory in particular, they just wanted more shit and Gregory wasn't supplying enough. Now that they're dealing with Alexandria, they're a bit preoccupied dealing with them (and they have more supplies, so it doesn't matter so much if Hilltop can't keep up with their previous demands).

Probably a bit of both. You're right, it definitely should've been at least acknowledged, and I don't think it was mentioned at all. Would've been very in character for Steven Ogg to make a threatening comment about it, laugh and say he was just fucking with the visibly shaken Gregory, then move on to the next topic.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I haven't caught up on the latest ep yet, but just watched "Heath gets written out of the show and Tara washes ashore," and wow what a dogshit episode. I had seen that it was the lowest rated ep in the series. history on IMDB and I get why. I don't even mind the filler episodes for the most part, but jesus this one was bad. Clearly a writer just had an idea for a group of badass women with guns and they just forced an episode around it. I could tell immediately we were either getting a one off where the village is never mentioned again, or they're going to ride in at the 11th hour and help defeat the saviors, both of which are dumb.

Looks like it's going to be the first the way it ended. It also doesn't help that Tara is a bad character who hasn't done anything meaningful since she was introduced to the show.

• Options
    For a second in the most recent episode it looked like Diana's son who no I don't know his name it hasn't been used in years was going on a road trip with Gabriel.

Just giving the fans more and more of their favorite characters !

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I'm two episodes behind now....and a little past where I checked out in the comics...

Are we still not past Rick feeling sorry for himself/meeting new colonies and gearing up for the eventual comeuppance for the Saviours?

Jeebus, give us something good in this show for Chrismas!

• Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    I'm two episodes behind now....and a little past where I checked out in the comics...

Are we still not past Rick feeling sorry for himself/meeting new colonies and gearing up for the eventual comeuppance for the Saviours?

I checked out around the same time with the comics too. I wonder if that's where a lot of people stopped.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »

I checked out around the same time with the comics too. I wonder if that's where a lot of people stopped.

Add me to the list that checked out of show/comic at the same time ( tho mine was with literally the exact same scene as comic/show, in the premiere ep), Can't even remember if I finished the Ep, once I saw the shot that matched the comics I bowed out.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Eh, outside of the trash Tara episode, this season has been better than the show's been in years. Negan is great, and the setup of the alliance against the Saviors is good stuff.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Again, I am an episode and half behind but there has been decidedly LESS setup than I would like. Just introductions of other people whose lives are shit (and a tiger). This has been a bleak and depressing season.

Yes, I understand its all preamble to the groups banding together and fighting back against the Saviours. And arguably necessary. Of course Rick will eventually rise up and take command of these separate groups and go head to head with Negan and kick his ass. Otherwise it would be real life and not TV. But they better get to it before the upcoming hiatus. The show is getting to be too depressing now....and unless this episode I paused at ends with Tara and her new girlfriends rolling into Alexandria with that room full of guns and ammo to give to Rick...the pendulum swing is not coming fast enough.

I have faith that the show will get there, but I'm getting pretty sick of waiting for it.

• Options
    KongoKongo Registered User regular
    Probably a bit of both. You're right, it definitely should've been at least acknowledged, and I don't think it was mentioned at all. Would've been very in character for Steven Ogg to make a threatening comment about it, laugh and say he was just fucking with the visibly shaken Gregory, then move on to the next topic.

The more I think about it, I'm also kinda surprised Gregory himself didn't mention something about it when he was terrified about Maggie and Sasha being there. "Negan already wanted my head. What do you think the Saviors will do when they see I'm still alive and these two are here?" He was already talking about plausible deniability with Maggie and Sasha being gone. His still being alive on top of that should have really had him sweating bullets. And then as you said, when Simon shows up, have him rattle Gregory by bringing it up and making him sweat it out even more.

Ah well, it is what it is.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I am probably wrong here, but I think the Gregory stuff was explained. I *think* I remember them pinning the fake head switcharoo on the guy that stabbed Gregory. He really wanted his brother back, so he faked the shit, then Hilltop paid the tribute and the murder order was rescinded. The Saviors know the head was fake, they just don't realize Gregory was in on it.

• Options
    I am probably wrong here, but I think the Gregory stuff was explained. I *think* I remember them pinning the fake head switcharoo on the guy that stabbed Gregory. He really wanted his brother back, so he faked the shit, then Hilltop paid the tribute and the murder order was rescinded. The Saviors know the head was fake, they just don't realize Gregory was in on it.

They may have addressed it, but the fake head was part of the plot to get into the outpost. They had the guy show up and bring the head out, which got the guards to come out in the open, and then Rick and gang started knifing.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

They may have addressed it, but the fake head was part of the plot to get into the outpost. They had the guy show up and bring the head out, which got the guards to come out in the open, and then Rick and gang started knifing.

Right, which if I'm correct, was spun as an attempt to rescue the brother. Hilltop still maintains they had nothing to do with the slaughter, it was Rick working with the would be hitman.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I'm pretty close to losing any interest in the show. The plot armor is just too bulky. The decision making is both idiotic and ignores all character development from like 7 seasons.
    Bashes two of my guy's heads in? Guess I should just completely roll over because I had a very short walker encounter roughly on par with the median day in the zombie apocalypse.

He just walks up to a heavily armed settlement with no one seeing him or his group? And no one just shooting him in the head at any point? This clear cult of personality built around "Negan?"

I mean the whole assault on the outpost was based on killing Negan specifically and now they pass up the chance over and over.

If the narrative was interesting enough it'd be fine but even that is boring as fuck.
    Its just the Governor crossed with the Claimers. We've done this already

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I decided to start reading the comic again where I left off (about issue 95).

Uggg. Negan isn't just an asshole as a character trait, he's an asshole to an unrealistic extent. Charismatic leaders can be assholes, but this is something that I could only ever see working in fiction because charismatic leaders still need to be diplomatic. Unless he has literally a thousand armed guys willing to throw their lives away for him on a religious level, he should have been ganked by now. You don't get people to work for you or with you by murdering their friends and family. You either kill all of them to scare the other communities, or you convince them to work with you without murdering their people. Murdering and robbing them doesn't do anything but build resentment long term. You conquer people and you allow them to govern themselves (with your administration above them), maintain their identity (in some cases, like the Mongols, you might even convert to their religion), and trade. Every successful empire in history has to some extent followed this model.

So let's say Negan does get away with this. How long after he murders everyone else, or they die off because they give him all their stuff, until his men turn on him and his group fragments because they don't have anyone else to attack and rob?
    I'm not sure if this is considered spoilers considering how long ago these issues came out, but an AR15 is not going to knock someone on their ass, I mean really Carl?

Dude, Negan, you don't take girls from your men. You. Don't. Do. It. You're fucking up Negan. Now he's not just building resentment to outsiders, but building resentment with his own men. You don't take their women and make them your wives.

Plot armor. I'm about to drop it again. Dude unless you have three extremely well trained long distance shooters, you aren't going to shoot the guns out of the hands of three people almost simultaneously. I'm almost at the point of dropping the book again.

I haven't gotten to the end yet but the only way I can interpret the sheer amount of luck Negan has in everything he does: this is actually the Matrix and Negan has cheats turned on. If Kirkman was sick of writing this and wanted to just make every single thing the main characters do fail spectacularly because of the deus ex machina level of luck Negan has, just write "boulders fall everyone dies".

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    LaCabra wrote: »
    I also have a hard time praising Jeff's performance because to me it seems like one of those situations where they saw him in something else (Watchmen) and went "come be that same guy in our show also"

those being the only two things I've seen him in it's not fair to say he lacks range, but it does take away from my ability to appreciate it?

Yeah no way. JDM is not only a great fit for the character, he's a huge fan of the comics. He already knew which character they wanted him to read for before the producers told him. As soon as his agent told him they wanted him to read for the show he said "It's fuckin Negan, I know it, and I'm doing it." (paraphrased)

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I wonder if Negan is just so emotionally immature that he doesn't 'get it'. Like, if his apology to Carl was real (and it seems a lot more honest in the comics), then it's like you're dealing with a ten year old wannabe bully.

But then, tears didn't stop him from enjoying bashing people's brains out, so who the fuck knows.

I just really don't want the answer for him to be 'because he's a crazy asshole.' That's boring as shit.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    I wonder if Negan is just so emotionally immature that he doesn't 'get it'. Like, if his apology to Carl was real (and it seems a lot more honest in the comics), then it's like you're dealing with a ten year old wannabe bully.

But then, tears didn't stop him from enjoying bashing people's brains out, so who the fuck knows.

I just really don't want the answer for him to be 'because he's a crazy asshole.' That's boring as shit.

His backstory is that he
    was a gym teacher. So that explains somewhat why he'd take a shine to kids and developing them,
    the rest is just learning to survive. I don't think he's a sociopath but I think he has embraced what he needs to become to survive, Shane went pretty quickly once order broke down. The Harem stuff though is just Kirkman's wish fulfillment.

• Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »

Yeah no way. JDM is not only a great fit for the character, he's a huge fan of the comics. He already knew which character they wanted him to read for before the producers told him. As soon as his agent told him they wanted him to read for the show he said "It's fuckin Negan, I know it, and I'm doing it." (paraphrased)
    that's pretty much completely in keeping with what i said lmao

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I just hate that Carl killed two Saviours without blinking, but froze in front of Negan, the man he actually did all this to kill.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    I just hate that Carl killed two Saviours without blinking, but froze in front of Negan, the man he actually did all this to kill.

Carl, use your Plasma Beam!
    No! It can't be!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options

No, you suggested that the TWD producers saw him in Watchmen and asked him to play the comedian on TWD. Which is not at all the case. He's playing Negan, particularly faithfully to the comics in fact.

• Options
    Dac wrote: »

His backstory is that he
    was a gym teacher. So that explains somewhat why he'd take a shine to kids and developing them,
    the rest is just learning to survive. I don't think he's a sociopath but I think he has embraced what he needs to become to survive, Shane went pretty quickly once order broke down. The Harem stuff though is just Kirkman's wish fulfillment.

That makes no sense. I could have seen pre-apocalypse Negan be military, or black ops, or CIA. Something like that, to explain how he can manipulate and control people and get under their skin so well, how he started off with a squad of loyal violent and efficient agents, how he can be so casually violent so naturally, and how he can setup and manage a small fear-and-violence-based empire. But a gym teacher turned psycho? A gym teacher who managed to form an army of loyal thugs and become an expert psychological manipulator? That's noise.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Since I'm venting, I'm increasingly annoyed at everyone driving around. Most people I know who drive regularly need to fill up every week. I barely use my car at all and I need to fill up every month. These people have been stretching their tanks for eight years now, and they don't seem shy about using their cars.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Since I'm venting, I'm increasingly annoyed at everyone driving around. Most people I know who drive regularly need to fill up every week. I barely use my car at all and I need to fill up every month. These people have been stretching their tanks for eight years now, and they don't seem shy about using their cars.

This is one thing the comics cover, and pretty sure the only reason TV won't is advertising$$ sadly. (least the cars are allowed to get dirty now)

In the comics
    most travelling is by horseback

• Options

No, you suggested that the TWD producers saw him in Watchmen and asked him to play the comedian on TWD. Which is not at all the case. He's playing Negan, particularly faithfully to the comics in fact.

that's what i'm saying, they're basically the same dude

• Options

yeah that really pissed me off.

just solidly awful writing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Was watching a friend's house, cable went out, and he has all the comics to current so thought I'd catch up, I had bowed out after issue 100.

And damn, I think I figured out WHY those stupidly written gore porn story beats , just like the awful shit, that seems compelled to enter, no matter how against plot it's become at this point. Like to the point Kirkman almost feels like two people writing, the little brother who wants to build this vibrant world with interesting characters, and then the big brother who comes along every so often, smashes everything, shits on the floor, wedgies the little brother, then leaves him to pick up the pieces.

Cept it's Lucy with the football levels of repetitiveness at this point and I keep falling for it like an idiot.

More Spoilery thoughts below.
    Like, once I finally got past the Negan war and stuff, and through that, I actually starting finding myself stupidly sucked back in with the 2 years later time jump, and actually reforming civilization and stuff. I actually had the idiocy to think " hey maybe we're going to finally get to the next stage of this story, start finding out what the next step is in a world like this once you gain a semblance of normalcy and begin to rebuild. Oh wow trade networks and stuff, oh cool there's working on rebuilding into the coal/steam era, lots of communities have been met, the world is turning."

Naw, weird rapey skin wearing cannibals, THOUSANDS of them, totally existed next to you for YEARS , and you never stumbled onto them once, oh look 12 main characters just got slaughtered and had their heads made into a fucking fence

I don't know why I keep fucking falling for it.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

In the comic, he sprayed wildly and killed 5 dudes before the clip ran out. Maybe the show writers wanted to show Carl as sensitive?

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

In the comic, he sprayed wildly and killed 5 dudes before the clip ran out. Maybe the show writers wanted to show Carl as sensitive?

i did stop reading the comics around that time so

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PantsB wrote: »
    I'm pretty close to losing any interest in the show. The plot armor is just too bulky. The decision making is both idiotic and ignores all character development from like 7 seasons.
    Bashes two of my guy's heads in? Guess I should just completely roll over because I had a very short walker encounter roughly on par with the median day in the zombie apocalypse.

He just walks up to a heavily armed settlement with no one seeing him or his group? And no one just shooting him in the head at any point? This clear cult of personality built around "Negan?"

I mean the whole assault on the outpost was based on killing Negan specifically and now they pass up the chance over and over.

If the narrative was interesting enough it'd be fine but even that is boring as fuck.
    Its just the Governor crossed with the Claimers. We've done this already
    I would imagine that Rick rolling over had less to do with two of his friends getting killed, more to do with the very large number of well armed bad guys. If it had been five or ten guys who had bushwhacked Abraham and Glenn, that'd be one thing. But there was pretty much an army, and that was just the ones who were there at the Negan meet and greet. They already made the mistake of assuming all the Saviors were at one location, what if there's another bunch not present (we, the viewers, know there are)? What can they possibly do to fight it?

And actually breaking him down came at the point where he was being forced to chop Carl's arm off. He knew there was shit all he could do about it, he was drastically outnumbered and outgunned, if he tried doing anything but what Negan asked there would be worse consequences.

So I think it's realistic nobody did much to work against Negan when he showed up with his crew demanding spoils. They could kill Negan pretty easily, and then what? The Saviors will probably descend into chaos... after killing off half of Alexandria. The only way we'd see someone really try is if they allow emotion to totally override reason--the ones we've seen who want to kill Negan, like Rosita, know that they need to be smart about it.

That said, I could understand if the show wanted to portray someone as emotional and irrational. Not everybody fully thinks through the consequences of their actions! And we saw them try it with Carl. But they totally fucked up that scene--it's unreasonable for someone to plot to murder a guy, sneak onto a truck of supplies knowing he probably won't get out, kill a couple of his enemies, and then freeze up without any explanation as soon as the big bad appears. That part was done very poorly.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    So I just finished season 6. And immediately watched the first ep of season 7.

I feel like the ending of 6 was a lot better since I was able to immediately get an answer.

Negan is fucking scary.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I swear to fucking Christ we need a 2 hour finale that's just Rick's group killing every single Savior.

No dialog, no pause: just 2 hours of slaughter and a five mile high corpse mountain.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Corpse Mountain: the new Magic Kingdom attraction

This discussion has been closed.