As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fear [The Walking Thread]]: Also fear SPOILERS, of which there are many in here!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Still a little angry he lost his bow.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I didn't even realize that was a mid-season finale

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

It really didn't feel like it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I'm a bit angrier about the bike. I mean, the bow is cool and all, but there's got to be a bunch of crossbows floating around.
    But the bike, he built that bike (or at the very least completed building the bike).

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I'm a bit angrier about the bike. I mean, the bow is cool and all, but there's got to be a bunch of crossbows floating around.
    But the bike, he built that bike (or at the very least completed building the bike).

I dunno, it's six seasons and they've only showed one crossbow (and two competition bows).
    Non-gun ranged weapons seem to be very rare.

• Options
    Zombie outbreak happened before the Hunger Games caught on.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    If TWD had started later, Carol would have the bow.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »

It really didn't feel like it.

I thought the episode previous was the mid-season finale, with the tower crashing. I was like "well, it's a bit downplayed, but a decently exciting spot".

Then they did a very similar thing with the actual mid-season finale and I was like "they already did that".

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    The ending of the mid season finale has much more meaning to people who know the comics and what may be coming with the rest of the no way out arc, but yeah. The episode itself was really bland.

The first half of this season went like this for me:

First 2.9 episodes - hot damn they're out the gate strong.
    0.1 - Oh christ, did they really just do a Glenn fakeout death that's obviously not a real death?
    Week leading up to ep. 4 - Wow, what an awful time to have a bottle episode for Morgan, they really want to delay Glenn showing back up.
    Ep. 4 - Damn, that was so much better than I thought it'd be, nice episode.
    Eps. 5 and 6 - Wow, really, still going to drag it out while nothing exciting happens?
    Ep 7 - Okay, to nobody's surprise he's back, now please let something good happen.
    Ep 8 - Jesus this is boring, oh okay, we're ending the episode smack in the middle of no way out.

It started with such promise. I still like the show, and hopefully the back 8 will be exciting, because the next premiere is going to be packed with some craziness for sure, and then we know we're leading up to a meeting with a great villain so there's that to look forward to.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I really liked the starting impression that the entire first half of the season would take place over the course of one very bad day. They did start out strong with that theme, then they just totally dropped the ball with it and it never stopped rolling down hill.

• Options
    Eh, I think just having the first 3 episodes take place in the same day was the right way to go. Trying to have 8 episodes take place in one day would've meant not moving forward the story enough, since they needed to have a Wolf attack on Alexandria while they were trying to lead the horde away, then have a siege of walkers on the walls while they worried about how to deal with it, then the walls fall and kick off the no way out arc.

They just didn't manage to make the last 4 episodes of the half season any good, and they went full hack mode for the Glenn fakeout.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    The ending of the mid season finale has much more meaning to people who know the comics and what may be coming with the rest of the no way out arc, but yeah. The episode itself was really bland.

0.1 - Oh christ, did they really just do a Glenn fakeout death that's obviously not a real death?
    Week leading up to ep. 4 - Wow, what an awful time to have a bottle episode for Morgan, they really want to delay Glenn showing back up.
    Eps. 5 and 6 - Wow, really, still going to drag it out while nothing exciting happens?
    Ep 7 - Okay, to nobody's surprise he's back, now please let something good happen.
    Ep 8 - Jesus this is boring, oh okay, we're ending the episode smack in the middle of no way out.

It started with such promise. I still like the show, and hopefully the back 8 will be exciting, because the next premiere is going to be packed with some craziness for sure, and then we know we're leading up to a meeting with a great villain so there's that to look forward to.

Huh.

Pretty sure it surprised a few people. This link for example:
    http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/10/26/sorry-walking-dead-fans-but-that-death-was-real/

And it wasn't alone either, plenty of fun Imgur/Reddit images making fun of others for thinking he was still alive. Heck, even this thread had a few posts in that regards.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    The whole deal with "He's dead!", "No, he's alive!" is a fake-out leading up to... [comic spoilers]
    his eventual introduction to Lucille.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options

Huh.

Pretty sure it surprised a few people. This link for example:
    http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/10/26/sorry-walking-dead-fans-but-that-death-was-real/

And it wasn't alone either, plenty of fun Imgur/Reddit images making fun of others for thinking he was still alive. Heck, even this thread had a few posts in that regards.

It wasn't a surprise to anybody who didn't just want it to be true. Intestines are not in your upper chest cavity, so it was clear that it wasn't Glenn's entrails being torn out. Main characters don't die off screen where there's nobody around to witness it and thus no impact or fallout.

I mean, the way they handled it was horrible no matter what. If he was actually dead, then they handled it completely like trash, but if he was actually alive, it was the kind of cliffhanger you only use for maybe half an episode or slightly more, not 3 episodes, and also, you don't go out of your way to show Glenn screaming as though he's in agony just to try to trick people.

On the walking dead subreddit, I'd say it was about a 80/20 split of people who clearly could tell if wasn't really his death. I figure in general that was probably the same for most people, except maybe very casual TV watchers who didn't consider how stupid of a main character death it would've been had it been real.

• Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    The whole deal with "He's dead!", "No, he's alive!" is a fake-out leading up to... [comic spoilers]

Or not, but lets just keep bringing it up over and over again because its the one thing that can not be changed from the comics. And we know this because EVERYONE WHOS READ THEM BRINGS IT UP OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Or not, but lets just keep bringing it up over and over again because its the one thing that can not be changed from the comics. And we know this because EVERYONE WHOS READ THEM BRINGS IT UP OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

Eh, it's fine to speculate about what things they'll change and keep the same from the comics. I personally think that
    It is going to be Glenn. The only other character that would have the same impact on fans of the show would be Daryl, and it just doesn't have the same impact. Glenn is supposed to be staying in Hilltop with Maggie, she's gonna have their kid, and them bam, suddenly you hate Negan more than anybody of all time.

Plus, I am 100% speculating but I think they're going to try to cast Steven Yeun as Iron Fist if they can get him, and the only way to get him is if he's not on TWD any more.

• Options
    So when is Carol going to kill herself after not getting that threesome? I'm totally expecting this one comic thing, everytime Rick gets near a relationship I get a boner thinking about this!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I would agree had the show not played around with it and then drug it out over several episodes.
    It seems like the show expressly wanted fans to get used to idea that Glenn is dead, then be relieved that he's alive, and shockingly kill him off as gruesomely as possible.
    I don't read the comics and don't plan to.
    Plus, I am 100% speculating but I think they're going to try to cast Steven Yeun as Iron Fist if they can get him, and the only way to get him is if he's not on TWD any more.[/spoiler]

I would happily sacrifice Glenn...
    to get Steven Yeun in a Marvel project.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    So when is Carol going to kill herself after not getting that threesome? I'm totally expecting this one comic thing, everytime Rick gets near a relationship I get a boner thinking about this!

You're a smart enough guy to know those things are not even remotely equivalent. Carol on the show is a different and much better character than the comic version. However,
    Glenn's death
    in the comics is the most iconic death in the entire series, and we also have spoiler confirmation that it's happening in the show, just not who is going to be the victim.

That death is happening to somebody, and assuming it's going to happen to the same character on the show is not far fetched. There are only a few characters who would have the same impact. If they give that death to
    Morgan or somebody like that, fans won't even care and might just like Negan. =P It has to be Glenn, Daryl, Carol, etc., and Kirkman said Carol has the most plot armor of anybody in the show so it won't be her. My money is just on Glenn because his death will be more painful for fans than Daryl because Maggie is pregnant and they were going to stay in Hilltop together.

• Options
    I just want you guys to know you have already made me hate Neagan despite me liking that he's played by an actor I enjoy. But your insistent one character moment thing keep being brought up has made me dislike the character and hope for his early death. So thanks.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    You're not supposed to like him, so I guess that's good. He's still alive in the comics though so you're probably out of luck if you hope he dies quickly after introduction.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Everyone's complaining how this season has been kinda boring and just spinning it's wheels on the same similar plots...

Boring and spinning it's wheels makes it a totally faithful comic adaptation!

Hiyooo

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Everyone's complaining how this season has been kinda boring and just spinning it's wheels on the same similar plots...
    What's amusing is there is always some group of people saying that every season. I'm pretty sure with a little research I could find people saying that about the first season.

Often what people really are expressing is just that the show isn't going where they want the show to go and what may excite others isn't what excites them.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    https://youtu.be/7LCLp1o_Nl4

Comic spoilers:
    Celebrate your Valentine's Day with a nice "Love You" axe chop to the arm!

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Ugh this show. Just finished up last season and ugh.

If survivors as a whole had a lick of common sense they wouldn't constantly be dying all the time. There were so many times where someone approached what seemed to be a dead body only for it to bite them. What the hell people? I don't care if you think it's dead/not undead, if you yourself didn't see it happen you stab it in the head before you get close enough for it to rip out your throat.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

If survivors as a whole had a lick of common sense they wouldn't constantly be dying all the time. There were so many times where someone approached what seemed to be a dead body only for it to bite them. What the hell people? I don't care if you think it's dead/not undead, if you yourself didn't see it happen you stab it in the head before you get close enough for it to rip out your throat.

I'm going to side with the show here. It doesn't matter how dangerous something is, it will eventually become mundane. And then errors start to happen.

Try playing a marathon session of Dead Space and see how long it is before you stop checking corpses.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    gjaustin wrote: »

I'm going to side with the show here. It doesn't matter how dangerous something is, it will eventually become mundane. And then errors start to happen.

Try playing a marathon session of Dead Space and see how long it is before you stop checking corpses.

Yeah it's really easy to be sharp from the comfort of your living room for a few hours a day.

But more importantly think of every single person you know

think of every single one of them who has routinely and often done dumb or dangerous things.

people gonna be people.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

If gaming has taught me anything, it's to stomp and loot every corpse.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    So, Lauren Cohan has a new movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPxybc_aJWU

Hopefully this was filmed during a season break and doesn't mean bad news for Maggie.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular

Yeah it's really easy to be sharp from the comfort of your living room for a few hours a day.

But more importantly think of every single person you know

think of every single one of them who has routinely and often done dumb or dangerous things.

people gonna be people.

And each and every one of those people should have been weeded out by this point in the show's timeline.

It's part of why I can't watch this show anymore- because like most horror, the "drama" is predicated on mendacious stupidity.

The breaking point for me was in season three- the survivors sweep and clear a house, completely surgical, it seems obvious that they've finally gotten their shit together and recognize that anything less than diligence is a death sentence.

They find the dog food, Carl doesn't hesitate to open the can ready to eat... and then Rick gives a speech and dumps it.

I almost put my fist through the television. Despite lurking in the thread, I haven't watched an ep. since.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    You've missed out on some really cool episodes since then but if that bugged you that much, its probably a good thing you stopped watching *shrugs*

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Clever horror is so very rare, and all the more enjoyable for it. Did anyone else see Fright Night 3D? I loved the scene where everyone hides from a vampire inside a house because he can't enter uninvited, and in response he lights the house on fire.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I watched bits and pieces of FtWD because I'm interested in "early stage infection" stories and due to the newness of the threat, I felt I could over look characters making uninformed decisions.

But then you had
    the soliders at the military base geting laughably overrun. I just couldn't get over multiple soldiers (some armed with M60s) POURING shots into the mob and......, nope, nothing. I'm not a gun person, but headshots or no, 55.6 rounds at that range (to say nothing of any .50 cal being fired) would have turned that mob into hamburger.

It's cool though, some of the bullets could be seen sparking and ricocheting off a chain link fucking fence.

kpmfdpjipjanb0-jnb0uh0nhg9hn9yh9-ge8fge0!

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Rick didn't give a speech, the season 3 cold open was completely wordless.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    I watched bits and pieces of FtWD because I'm interested in "early stage infection" stories and due to the newness of the threat, I felt I could over look characters making uninformed decisions.

But then you had
    the soliders at the military base geting laughably overrun. I just couldn't get over multiple soldiers (some armed with M60s) POURING shots into the mob and......, nope, nothing. I'm not a gun person, but headshots or no, 55.6 rounds at that range (to say nothing of any .50 cal being fired) would have turned that mob into hamburger.

It's cool though, some of the bullets could be seen sparking and ricocheting off a chain link fucking fence.

for the record.

a .50 caliber round is capable of bifurcating a person due to hydrostatic shock.

Which means the zombie crowd should be pulpy goo.

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Perhaps zombies are so soft and soggy bullets go right through. They are like meat pudding. With good teeth! And strong hands! And Sneaksy footsies!

Siska on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

But then you had

for the record.

a .50 caliber round is capable of bifurcating a person due to hydrostatic shock.

Would that work when the target is full of dead, coagulated blood? ;p

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

But then you had

for the record.

It depends.

Would it work on a person? Yes.

Would it work on a zombie? I'm suspicious hydrostatic shock would do much to something that doesn't need organs or blood to function.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

But then you had

for the record.

It depends.

Would it work on a person? Yes.

Would it work on a zombie? I'm suspicious hydrostatic shock would do much to something that doesn't need organs or blood to function.

dead or alive its still a big bag of gooey water.

Which would easily be torn in twain by the hydrostatic shock.

You realize bullets just don't go through something straight through and leave a clean tunnel, right?

impact, depending on the caliber and velocity, can create a giant shockwave/cavitation bubble in the target ripping everything apart and creating a hole hundreds of times bigger than the actual bullet.

There are actual documented cases in the War in Iraq of people being exploded in half by a single shot of a .50 cal rifle. No, no grenades, suicide vests, etc, just the one bullet.

Hydrostatic shock is a motherfucker, and center mass shots of a .50 cal will absolutely ruin a zombies day. Sure, maybe, its head might continue to technically be unalive.. but it will absolutely cease to be a threat.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The watery part is a point of contention, I guess. I don't think zombies in TWD are ever shown bleeding?

Oh brilliant
This discussion has been closed.