As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the next evolution of rock.

124»

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    TheDrizzit wrote: »
    if there aren't guitar solos in most of the songs, it ain't rock.

O_o

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    TheDrizzit wrote: »
    if there aren't guitar solos in most of the songs, it ain't rock.

:roll:

ROLLS EYES.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    [crickets chirping]

OOOOhh!!!AAAAaaahhh!!! My goodness how rock has evolved!

Werdna on
  • Options
    TheDrizzitTheDrizzit Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    i'll also point you in the direction of the black crowes for some rock and roll as god intended it.

TheDrizzit on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Am I the only person in the world that considers metal a subset of rock?

Snork on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Snork wrote: »

Not at all. The problem is that people have created so many fucking subgenres for rock that it borders on ridiculous.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Nah, if you go to a record store, you've got Pop, Rock, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Classical, Country, Vocal, New Age, and World Music and that's pretty much it.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well it's just that I see definitions like 'rock is everything guitar-centric that is not country or metal' and I'm like uh.

Snork on
  • Options
    danielof2k6danielof2k6 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Rock evolves!

Becomes Rockchu!

Okay, I'm leaving now.

I lol'ed

danielof2k6 on
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Nah, if you go to a record store, you've got Pop, Rock, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Classical, Country, Vocal, New Age, and World Music and that's pretty much it.

See the thing about how record stores organize music, imo, is that it's so general. If you can find Slayer in the same section as you find the Goo Goo Dolls... theres something wrong. They definitely are not in the same genre of music.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

See the thing about how record stores organize music, imo, is that it's so general. If you can find Slayer in the same section as you find the Goo Goo Dolls... theres something wrong. They definitely are not in the same genre of music.
    Not really. The purpose is to make stuff easier to find, not to be categorize everything endlessly.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    Red*PandaRed*Panda Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Coheed And Cambria has taken rock to new places while still sounding like rock..

End of Story for me anyways..

Red*Panda on
    redpandasmall.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    New places like what, exactly?

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Endless pinch harmonics and horrible poseur Geddy Lee vocals backed by 70s throwback progrock.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Not really. The purpose is to make stuff easier to find, not to be categorize everything endlessly.

I was relating how a record store (while easily organizing music) isn't a great way to categorize music, a la "Hey, the record store has it under rock: therefore, it's genre is rock."

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    there's a discussion about genres in the "so: is this music" thread.

the correct term for a pinch harmonic is "metal squeal," but if you want to know what new places coheed and cambria have taken rock, look in your toilet bowl.

TheDrizzit on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The_Cheese wrote: »
    Endless pinch harmonics and horrible poseur Geddy Lee vocals backed by 70s throwback progrock.
    :^:

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    MuragoMurago Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nothing wrong with high tenor's who sound like geddy lee.

I'm not sure where its going, but i hope it steers away from Nickleback/Daughtry/Buckcherry pop(cock)rock sound.

:Shameless Plug: vvvvvvvvv Check us out - this is our direction for rock.

Murago on
    Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oregon and Washington have seen alot of movement recently in the Indie scene with bands like These Arms are Snakes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I saw them last year with Fear Before the March of Flames. That was an awesome show.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Rolly RizlaRolly Rizla __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Seriously though...

What happened to the Rock Gods?

Stairway to Heaven was an anthem for a whole generation.

We seriously need a Wyld Stallyns.

Someone who rocks so hard over the Internet that the whole world changes.

Rolly Rizla on
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't ever recall Stairway to Heaven being an anthem. In fact it's quite overplayed nowadays (for a Zep song) and I don't really find it enjoyable anymore.

Also the new bands of rock (for better or worse) have progressed beyond the larger-than-life sex/drugs/rockNroll style. Sure some new bands try to emmulate it, but you can tell it's deliberate and isn't the same. Avenged Sevenfold is a pretty good example. Get rid of the tattoos and "lol we're sooo badassss" and you have a bunch of rich white boys from Orange County. Hardly rock and roll if you ask me.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My diagnosis? Severe lack of widespread heroin use - damn health conscious society.

It used to be live fast, die young! Now it's drink green tea and rock till your 65 for the established acts, and as far as our generation goes, they're just foregoing the whole generation defining music thing all together apparently.

Ant000 on
  • Options
    Rolly RizlaRolly Rizla __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    But that's really whats needed in the evolution of Rock.

Larger than Life characters.

"Power, Mystery and the Hammer of the Gods." ala Jimmy Page kind of deal.

Rolly Rizla on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    i agree. the world lacks balls-to-the-walls rock that was the bread and butter in days of yore.

TheDrizzit on
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Seriously though...

What happened to the Rock Gods?

Stairway to Heaven was an anthem for a whole generation.

We seriously need a Wyld Stallyns.

Someone who rocks so hard over the Internet that the whole world changes.
    pdSTBAT0001.jpg

But seriously, since there are now so many subgenres of rock, it will probably be impossible to have a "next evolution" of it. Sure, there can be subgenres of the different subgenres, but lots of stuff is so far apart that it's silly to consider it the same genre (Example: The Hold Steady and Mastodon are pretty much opposite sides of the spectrum, one being more pop-oriented and the other being just loud.)

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    something about writing a concept album base on moby-dick doesn't scream rock, though, even if it is good.

TheDrizzit on
  • Options
    YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I was relating how a record store (while easily organizing music) isn't a great way to categorize music, a la "Hey, the record store has it under rock: therefore, it's genre is rock."
    Broadly speaking, I think it's fair to call them both rock. Rock is a really broad genre. I, personally, wouldn't care to categorize them more specifically than that in my collection. How specifically you categorize bands is pretty much a matter of choice.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Ugh, the whole point of punk was to be a response to the pretentiousness of the Rock Gods who created a wall between themselves and the audience and to create something that was down and dirty and "real" as opposed to the overblown grandiosity that 70s rock became.

We don't need rock gods anymore. We've moved on.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    I don't ever recall Stairway to Heaven being an anthem. In fact it's quite overplayed nowadays (for a Zep song) and I don't really find it enjoyable anymore.

Also the new bands of rock (for better or worse) have progressed beyond the larger-than-life sex/drugs/rockNroll style. Sure some new bands try to emmulate it, but you can tell it's deliberate and isn't the same. Avenged Sevenfold is a pretty good example. Get rid of the tattoos and "lol we're sooo badassss" and you have a bunch of rich white boys from Orange County. Hardly rock and roll if you ask me.
    It's funny because Avenged Sevenfold was exactly who I was envisioning when you were talking about people trying too hard to be rock gods. They were a much more enjoyable level of ridiculous before they started to think it was okay to be Guns n' Roses 2.

Snork on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Ugh, the whole point of punk was to be a response to the pretentiousness of the Rock Gods who created a wall between themselves and the audience and to create something that was down and dirty and "real" as opposed to the overblown grandiosity that 70s rock became.

We don't need rock gods anymore. We've moved on.

These were pretty much my thoughts exactly on people saying we need rock gods again. I forgot about the whole punk aspect though. It's cool and all to look back on the guitar heroes and such when rock was becoming the "big thing" but nowadays we don't need it.

Hence why I brought up Avenged Sevenfold.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    We've moved on.

To what??

Punk may have been a response to 70s rock excess, but then so was grunge to 80s rock excess. I'd argue that's its cyclical if anything - ratchet it up, bring it back down to earth, retool it and make it unique and ratchet it up again! So bring on the 21st century rock gods!!!!!!

Ant000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    When today's examples are bands like Avenged Sevenfold (and bands like Green Day if you want to stretch it), and people worshiping musicians post-humously like Kurt Cobain, Bradley Nowell and Dimebag Darell who may have been good while alive but are given ridiculous treatment now (not to disrespect the dead however), I think it's time to move on.

I don't think we need today's rock musicians to "ratchet it up" again. I'm quite fine with bands who just play really awesome shit, and don't need to act like pretentious "omg im just so amazing" "gods."

Mind you this doesn't mean I don't enjoy listening to "larger-than-life" bands of yore, but I honestly don't think we need it today.

CptKemzik on