As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Superheroes] Cheese beam from the cheese dimension

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Best thing about Fraction's Punisher run is Rhino.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Rucka's run on the Punisher was also great.

Cole-Alves, eye patch Big Boss Punisher, the Spidey/Daredevil crossover, all good stuff.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    and the War Journal mini Rucka did where Punisher fights the Avengers? fantastic.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Re: Fantastic Four plot synopsis

http://youtu.be/_n5E7feJHw0

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Speaking of Kingdom Come, look who's showing up from it's pages come February.

SMWW-16-e7f2c.jpg

Are we sure this isn't Gog, introduced in JSA who was a former marine and happen to make things really intresting when Kindomcome Superman was brought into the team.

I need to read that run again.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Nope I'm wrong, I definat need to re-read that run

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I hope Vegeta gets substantially stronger. Would be very nice to see even if he'll never surpass Goku

Battle of Gods:
    He does briefly manage to obtain a power level that surpassed Goku's during his rage over Bulma getting injured.

That was one of the highlight moments for me as it carried on the theme from the original series that Vegeta is always at his best when he's fighting for someone else's sake, rather than his own.

I'd say the odds are high he will eventually obtain a Super Saiyan God form. Whether it'll happen in this movie is still up in the air.
    Not gonna lie, if Vegeta is the one to defeat Freeza at the end I'll lose my shit.
    I want to point out that it seems like he's mad about Bulma being hurt. But he never checks on her or tend to her later.

And he specifically says "That's my wife!" when he attacks. He doesn't say her name. He's pissed that Beerus hit his wife, not his wife.

It's a very nice touch. Sure, he's a good guy now and wants to keep his wife, kid and planet safe. But what really makes him mad is someone disrespecting him enough to slap his wife right in front of him, and that's when he can't control himself.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So the Avengers/Attack on Titan story got published

Apparently the pages and all dialogue from characters that aren't Marvel read right to left like normal manga

But the Avengers' dialogue is left to right like American comics

That's

Pretty great

I'd love to check it out, but are there spoilers for AoT beyond the anime? Don't want to run across any manga spoilers.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    It was eight pages long, I just read it. It's all drawn/bubbled right to left. Their English text is normal, I mean, left to right. There's nobody else there to talk. I didn't see any spoilers, they just punch some Titans and make a few jokes.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Re: Fantastic Four plot synopsis

http://youtu.be/_n5E7feJHw0

I like exactly one line in the whole thing: Johnny changing color depending on heat, even though I'm not sure that's chemically accurate.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    the victor domachev thing was confirmed by the actor but that was like a week ago before this started popping up so it could easily be bullshit

I bet we see the N-Zone portal thing in the movie anyway simply because it's a little easier to deal with then rockets

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    You know what annoys me about that FF sypnosis?

(Spoilering just in case)
    That Sue is reduced to a "party girl".

Such a stupid, stupid change.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    You know what annoys me about that FF sypnosis?

(Spoilering just in case)
    That Sue is reduced to a "party girl".

Such a stupid, stupid change.

As opposed to literally everything else?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I have a question for the thread.

I really, really want to buy this for my fiance:
    hrnh_miss_marvel_ladies_pullover_front.jpg

Except, she's never read Ms Marvel, and doesn't really know anything about her, just she tends to wear black long sleeve shirts and she really loves the MCU movies, and I think she'd really like it. She wouldn't care that it's a Ms Marvel thing (one way or the other), but I think she'd like it.

I'm just moderately concerned that she may get some flak a la "fake geek girl" which is such a stupid thing that shouldn't exist but I just wanted to make sure I'm not paranoid.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I'm not sure why you're asking here?

Yeah, she totally might

but anyone who would do that is a shitheel so

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Because it's comics stuff, and I thought maybe I could get feedback from folks who are MCU fans but maybe not huge fans of reading comic books?

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Because it's comics stuff, and I thought maybe I could get feedback from folks who are MCU fans but maybe not huge fans of reading comic books?

I don't quite get the connection

There are people who will give her shit, yes

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Except, she's never read Ms Marvel, and doesn't really know anything about her, just she tends to wear black long sleeve shirts and she really loves the MCU movies, and I think she'd really like it. She wouldn't care that it's a Ms Marvel thing (one way or the other), but I think she'd like it.

I'm just moderately concerned that she may get some flak a la "fake geek girl" which is such a stupid thing that shouldn't exist but I just wanted to make sure I'm not paranoid.

First Nobody read Ms Marvel. Theres a reason Carol hasnt had a long running series until recently

Second it seems like youre worried about something thats not l likely to come up unless you hang with shitbags.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Yeah I don't really think anybody we know would necessarily give her shit, I guess I was just being paranoid because I know that hating on "fake" geek girls is absolutely a thing.

• Options
    Yeah I don't really think anybody we know would necessarily give her shit, I guess I was just being paranoid because I know that hating on "fake" geek girls is absolutely a thing.

Basically don't go to hobby shops

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Actually our FLGS is really, really good about this sort of stuff. Maybe not a true "hobby shop" (though they sell everything but comics), but almost nobody is a shitheel about anything, and there's enough of us in the group that if some random nobody decided to give one of us shit the whole group would just kinda give that person a big "really?" and ignore them.

Tox on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    That post is hard for me to parse

On one hand: Punisher... good? naw no way

On the other hand: Matt Fraction

I am conflicted.

Remender also wrote a good run on Punisher!

Punisher's totally great when good people write it. It's a premise I'm absolutely not engaged by but people have done great things with it.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    The thing to do would be to get her the shirt and also a copy of Ms. Marvel vol. 1.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    The thing to do would be to get her the shirt and also a copy of Ms. Marvel vol. 1.

She actively has no interest in reading comic books.

Trust me, I've tried. She's a huge fan of both BtVS and Anita Blake novels, both of which have spawned comics, neither of which she's even remotely interested in.

Buuut if my satan happens to get me Ms Marvel vol 1 off my wishlist I would absolutely be like, "oh yeah also there's this if maybe you're interested?" but she's super way more a fan of the movies.

Tox on
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    If she doesnt like comic books dont force her to read comic books

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    who even reads comics, really

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Malcontents and ne'er'do-wells

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    who even reads comics, really

I just look at the pictures

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I read it for the articles

• Options
    I just can't wrap my head around not liking reading a comic book

I mean, I know there's people who feel that way, but it just doesn't make any sense to me!

• Options
    I just can't wrap my head around not liking THING I LIKE

I mean, I know there's people who feel that way, but it just doesn't make any sense to me!

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'm in the minority and would say avoid the shirt then. We're not talking about a shirt of Batman or Wonder Woman or Spiderman who have a mass media presence way beyond comic books. If you don't like comics, I can't think of a reason to wear a Ms. Marvel shirt...male/female seems irrelevant.

I know I'd find it awkward to wear something like a Linkin Park tshirt around and have people ask me about a band I don't know about or ever care for the genre of...isn't this sort of the same? I would find it sort of weird to tell people "My wife bought it for me because I like music and orange shirts".

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

First Nobody read Ms Marvel. Theres a reason Carol hasnt had a long running series until recently

Second it seems like youre worried about something thats not l likely to come up unless you hang with shitbags.

I, what?

You don't have a comic that lasts for four years if nobody's reading it. Ms. Marvel volume 2 lasted for 50 issues.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    anyhow I'm reading Fraction's Punisher: War Journal right now and it's good stuff

It's hit or miss. Fair warning that Howard Chaykin is the artist in the last volumes.

I stopped reading when Chaykin took over art because it is so bad.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

Worst case scenario you'll get people pointing out she's Captain Marvel now, and the shirt harkens back to an old costume, which while personally I loved it for what it was, featured some unecessary skin exposure in places.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Also, speaking of Captain Marvel, can we talk about her for a sec?

I've had strong feelings about Ms. Marvel since I found out about the character via the old X-Men cartoon, and at the very least, kept tabs on her throughout the years.

And one thing that's bugged me, that's ALWAYS bugged me, is that she isn't taken as a big freakin deal. I mean, I know, she originally was a sidekick for Captain Marvel, yes. And I know that she has the name now, and that's great.

But honestly, HICKMAN(and EMH to a lesser extent) is the first person who's came out and at the very least portrayed, "HEY, CAPTAIN MARVEL IS A HULK/THOR/HYPERION level superhero" by putting her with those characters. It's something that's been SORELY missing from every Ms. Marvel series, and even some of the CAPTAIN Marvel series. Is that Carol Danvers is a big fucking deal.

Like, can kill most of the Avengers roster and fight Thor/Hulk/ Hyperion evenly.

Half the reason why we tolerate Wonder Woman, even though pre-Azz she had a shell of a characterization/foundation to work on, is that everyone in the DC universe treated her as though she was a big damn deal, not just because of her history, but that she was a legit physical threat on par with Superman.

And that's something comics have been really, REALLY bad at, portraying women as legitimate phyisical equals to their male counterparts(nuThor looks to be a decent example going forward though).

I just want wish that were in integral part of Carol's character, because in all honesty, it SHOULD be.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Oh man, what :(

Daredevil's final arc starts in February

• Options
    Also, Elektra is cancelled as of issue 11.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Thankfully, Fiege flat out said "One of the most powerful, if not THE most powerful heroes" when announcing the Captain Marvel movie, so that was cool.

This discussion has been closed.