As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Far Cry New Dawn - The MOST realistic premise ever

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Well, I was just being facetious but that's awesome :-) still running onboard at the moment after my 560ti died.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Finally beat FC4. That ending was satisfying, despite my indifference towards AH-jay. Mainly because
    I killed Sabal (fuck that guy) and let Pagan live.

Really strong beginning and end. The middle was meh, but the mechanics as solid. I also enjoyed the continued spot light on "mass murder is not how normal people solve problems", and giving me the option to resolve certain things non violently.

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Fuck Ubisoft. They'll never get another cent from me. If I wasn't locked in by mutual steam gifting I'd be getting a refund.

Yesterday they posted the following to their twitter feed:

For those that don't read Japanese, it says the following.
    Far Cry 4's PC version has been delayed. While we announced that it would release during February, the release date is still being determined. When we know the release date we will announce it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Delayed? You might be thinking. That can't be right? It's been out since November, hasn't it? The answer is "Not in Japan." The original release date in Japan was the 22nd of January. One week before this date, the Steam store page was updated to the 29th of January. Then, with less than an hour left on the countdown, the store page was changed again to a simple "Coming Soon" while the console versions released. The product home page was silently updated to change the PC version to "sometime in February." The above tweet is, outside of the stealth website update, the first actual acknowledgement that the PC version was even delayed. No reason has ever been given for the delay, nor is it forthcoming.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Maybe problems with translation/localisation? I remember the Elder Scrolls games took ages to get localised for Japan.

Valley of the Yetis is looking a lot less bombastic/silly than Blood Dragon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWHJsl2b03c

• Options
    ...it's just an xpack to fc4, it's not the stand alone thing blood dragon was.

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Maybe problems with translation/localisation? I remember the Elder Scrolls games took ages to get localised for Japan.

It's out on consoles here, so I very much doubt it's localisation issues.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    well PC is probably the one market niche doing worst than consoles in Japan so

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Got Far Cry 4 for cheap in this week's PSN sale.

It's been a long time since I've found the FoV in a game too low, but it definitely bugs me in the PS4 version of Far Cry 4. Ubisoft should rethink their technical art direction, because a nauseatingly low FoV setting is a poor flippin' choice.

Had some issues with how progession works. Didn't find any goats to kill for the longest time, which limited my wallet to 250k, and all the good guns cost more than 250k. So yeah, that was a bummer too. I generally don't understand why the game insists on showing the player all the stuff that cannot be purchased yet. Kinda sours me on the limited arsenal I do have. It makes me feel like I miss out on the best fun, because I don't have those weapons yet. Like I want to unlock all those guns and talents before doing the game's content (which is impossible of course).

I guess it's a shame in every game, getting oh-so many fun tools to work with in the final act of the game or so, having played the majority of the game with a fraction of those tactial options. I guess that's why I like games with NG+. At least the base captures are infinitively repeatable. Knowing all the stuff I don't get to play with right now is just doubly frustrating, and psychologically poor design, in my opinion. It works for multiplayer, because that's a potentially infinite joy, but in singleplayer with a very limited timeframe of enjoyment, that's just poison.

I never buy Ubisoft games at full price, because I always feel like their games are 100% designed by commitee, and despite being grand and often great, their games always feel a tad bit off. Wrong somehow. I guess it's because they're all a bunch of topsy-turvy French people.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Once I got over the rather rocky start I had with Far Cry 4, due to feeling hamstrung by its progression system, as well as a tad bit overwhelmed with the nigh endless laundry list of shit to do, I really warmed up to the game. Mountaineering and spelunking for hidden treasure is awesome - and I love the fact that treasure is finite, and doesn't respawn like in Far Cry 3. A very sensible change for a borderline neatfreak completionist like me.

The core gameplay mechanics can be downright amazing at times. Creeping on a outpost or fortress is just the most dynamic singleplayer shooting I know of. It feels tremendously badass to slowly wittle down the defenders of a place, one-by-one, unseen and unheard, dragging off corpses to some dark corner, generally acting like the most professional bagman in the biz - and if the shit hits the fan, well, things blow up real nice too.

For the most parts though, it's just a very chill thing to play. Treasure hunting, collectibles hunting, hunting hunting. Walking into stupid, but fun dynamic world events and other bizarre oddities that the world simulation (aka rabid wildlife) serves up. Claiming towers and freeing outposts. Every now and then a proper sidequest or story mission. Fighting in the arena to claim the Bushmaster assault rifle. I've been cleaning house in southern Kyrat for like 4 days now. Haven't even stepped foot into the north yet.

Oh, and as always, Ubisoft's writing is so hilariously poor, all their characters and story beats are so cliché, they're like clichés of clichés. It's almost so bad, it's good again - but not really. Love it to bits nonetheless. Guess this'll be another 90+% completionist playthrough, and that's saying something when it's an Ubisoft laundry list of shit to do.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    I finished the game a couple of weeks ago. I saved the last 5 missions or so until I had cleared up everything else. Just one exception, the signature gun you can buy when you hit rank 10 in the arena. I got to rank 5 and got bored. Might finish it later, but probably not.

I don't remember exactly how much time I spent on the game, but I think it was about 80-90 hours. And when I finished the story it felt very disappointing. Not so much because of the poor writing, but mostly because it didn't feel important, or even like a big part of the game. Most of my time was spent finding treasure chests, capturing outposts and towers, and the actual story missions was a very small part of the total time spent.

I guess I could have rushed through the story without doing all the side activities, but that doesn't seem quite right either.

There's definitely some problems with the progression in the game, with regards to equipment.
    Either you have little money, and use what you have on ammo and armor, or you have all the money in the world, and nothing to spend it on.

The wallet upgrade @BranniganSepp mentioned was a bit tricky to get, because the right kind of animal was simply missing from several spots on the map where they were supposed to be.

I enjoyed capturing outposts, fortresses and towers, but they seem completely separated from the story. Weird design.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I dunno, the only Far Cry game I played was Blood Dragon, and the things that you described in that post pretty much echoed my experience in that game; it's less a story game and more a sandbox game.

Actually picked this up on sale, haven't started it yet... but soon.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I need to rant. Spent my afternoon finishing up the collectibles (except the one journal I can't seem to get to until endgame). I'm horribly disappointed by the pay-off, which by and large has been nothing at all. I like the collectibles in concept, because they get me to engage the gameworld more deeply, and get me to appreciate it more fully.

Far Cry 4's collectibles feel lazy. There's too many of each sort to collect, so the pay-off cannot equal the effort the player puts into collecting them all. Like the final reward for getting all 150 propaganda posters? Bonus XP, nothing else, not even an achievement. A typical *and all I got was this lousy t-shirt* kind of situation, only worse, because an achievement would have been that t-shirt. Blech!

There are these collectible demon masks which a serial killer leaves behind with his victims. 55 masks to be precise. There's a very similar collectible in Watch_Dogs, albeit it's only about 10 in all (which is a much more sensible number for collectibles). The pay-offs for those collectibles are weapons, an achievement, and an actual quest, where-in the player gets to chase down and kill the serial killer. It's pretty much just another procedural crime event, but at least it's there. So even compared to Ubisoft's own efforts in other games Far Cry 4's collectibles are incredibly disappointing. I guess the letters and journals are okay, for they're giving some lore context to all the proceedings in the game (if I bother to open up the collectibles tab and actually read them), but even that is by far not rewarding enough on its own. Some weapon unlocks are tied to doing a minute amount of each collectible, but what about the rest of the collect-a-thon?

Anyways, I think Watch_Dogs has got it right. Have more different types of collectibles, limit the number of each type of collectible to 10-20 at the most. Tell a neat little story with the collectibles. In the case of a vast game like Far Cry 4, maybe keep most types of collectibles regional, and tell a regional story with them. Reward the player with unlocks and ultimately an achievement for the effort - and for gods sake, have a proper quest at the climax of the *collectibles questline*. Just collecting 150 of this, and 55 of that, and whatnot, for what amounts to a reward-pittance, that's just fucking poor and lazy design, no matter how neat all the mountaineering and spelunking of the process itself is.

I so wanted to stab *The Goat* in his stupid face. Well, maybe I did. I stabbed a royal soldier who was loitering in the *The Goat's Lair*, but that doesn't count - for I don't know he was the goat. He could have been anyone really.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    100% agree. I loved FC4, but did not care at all for the collectibles. Once I completed all the main story and side quests, I took a look at what I'd found so far, looked at how much was left, and promptly called the game "finished" and moved on.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Honestly...I kind of feel FC4 was too big.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The good thing about collectibles is that you can see how many you need to unlock guns, and then ignore them after that point.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    To put your collectibles woes into context for me...

is it Assassin's Creed 1 needle in a haystack?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Honestly...I kind of feel FC4 was too big.

The size of the map was fine. Far Cry just suffers from the Ubisoft method of filling their maps with generic content and identical game systems. There's no sense of place when every location is either a trigger for a cutscene or randomly spawned NPCs being mauled by eagles.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    To put your collectibles woes into context for me...

is it Assassin's Creed 1 needle in a haystack?

Not really. There's just A LOT of it. The maps you buy will show you the location of every collectable.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I think the map was a bit too big for all the empty the game gives you. And traversing it was a huge pain in the ass and most of the area just felt like generic hilly area #4.

I get the desire to have a huge map and be all like "GO EXPLORE HAVE FUN!!!" But when I'm just doing the same activities over and over with very little variation except for more enemies it just gets really boring. I'll take a smaller map if they had more fun content.

Also the wildlife in this was too numerous and obnoxious at times, like walking from one place to another should not involve 8 bears and 3 eagles.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    So is nobody going to talk about the new Far Cry they have sort of announced? The main Ubisoft website is streaming a video of a cave painting, and the thinking is the game is going to be a cave man version of Far Cry, released as a standalone expansion ala Blood Dragon.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    As a huge anthropology nerd, this really excites me.

I just hope the characters aren't portrayed as stupid, and the dialogue is both thoughtful and interesting.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Grog need climb hill and light fire on top to reveal more map.

Grog hold ground whilst attack by bad tribe.

Grog must shadow hide to get in to bad camp.

Grog ride sabretooth tiger in to battle.

Grog must kill all bad guys then piss on camp to claim as own.
    Joking aside, it sounds like a great idea. I got a bit bored of FC4, it was too similar to FC3.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    ]https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/-TPUymU0nQJyxTpGlZrQRh0lrzc=/0x0:1920x1080/1280x720/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/47339174/FC4_GAMESCOM_SLA_HUNTER.0.0.jpg[/img]

farcryprimal.jpg

Screenshots leaked from IGN Turkey's twitter account, but apparently that's now suspended (a copyright complaint from Ubisoft, probably). Some of them can be found with various articles reporting on the leak.

Looks interesting.

Now I kind of want to play Zeno Clash again.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    That top screenshot is just from FarCry 4 I think. Not too excited about some sort of caveman themed FarCry, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    That top screenshot is just from FarCry 4 I think. Not too excited about some sort of caveman themed FarCry, though.

So it is

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Anyone remember Molyneux' B.C., which was supposed to come out on the OG Xbox? Now I finally get to play something like it! Between Far Cry Primal and Michel Ancel's WiLD, all my caveman dreams are bound to come true!

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    10, 000 BC?

Fuck. Too late for dinosuars.

You'll pay for this, ubisoft!

*shakes fist*

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    The music from the trailer is "The Wolf" by Fever Ray. She's a damn good electronica musician.

Absalon on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    10, 000 BC?

Fuck. Too late for dinosuars.

You'll pay for this, ubisoft!

*shakes fist*

Tut tut, they had you stare at a piece of tapestry in FC4 and you were whisked away to Shangri-La. Who is to say Ubisoft won't have you stare at some cave paintings and be transported to dinosaur times?

• Options
    edited October 2015
    https://youtu.be/QhPtKagR13Y
    Gamers play as TAKKAR, a seasoned hunter and the last surviving member of his hunting group. Arriving in the majestic and savage land of Oros, players will pursue one single goal; survive in a world where humans are the prey. They will meet a cast of memorable characters who will help them push back and tame the dangers of the wild. Players will journey as the first human to tame the wilderness and rise above extinction. Along the way, they will have to hunt for food, master fire, fend off fierce predators, craft weapons and tools partly from the bones of slain beasts, and face off against other tribes to conquer Oros.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/06/far-cry-primal-release-date/

I'm going to be more than a little disappointed if all the dialogue is in gibberish. (that trailer wasn't just in some language I didn't recognize, right?)

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    I'll play it.

Looking forward to how they're going to work in an Assassin's Creed reference.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I'll play it.

Looking forward to how they're going to work in an Assassin's Creed reference.

finding a piece of eden as a collectable/easter egg.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I am super on-board with a non-modern/slightly futuristic shooteymans game

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    My first thought was to hope there's not a word of English in it.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Same here.

I'm cool with just subtitles.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Same here.

I'm cool with just subtitles.

Hell, I'd be cool without em too. Just having to figure out what people are saying via body language and hand gestures and stuff.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Yeah I was going it would be really early human social interaction. Lots of grunting and gesturing.

• Options
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Yeah I was going it would be really early human social interaction. Lots of grunting and gesturing.

This is a very common misconception and there's no science to back that up. Humans have been just as intelligent for the past 200,000 years. They've been anatomically modern for that time as well (so that includes the genes for spoken language). That's only one of the reasons why I'd like it if they spoke in English or whichever localized language.

Plus there's a lot a writer could do with the thoughts and feelings of a prehistoric human that are better conveyed in your native language than through inference. It's not like most Farcry games don't usually have most people speaking English (or whatever) already.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    You run into that hilarious issue from movies like "When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth" wherein they want it to feel like youre there so its not in english, but at the same time, its completely ahistoric and anachronistic in every other way. I wont mind either way, it could work in english or in silly grunts or a made up language

I mean humans likely didnt even hunt mammoths, or at least not in the ways we imagine

Prohass on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Didn't they just drive mammoths off cliffs, or am I thinking of bison?

Either way, that's less FPS and more some kind of fucked up reverse Lemmings

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]