As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Far Cry New Dawn - The MOST realistic premise ever

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    The greater theme of the game was about a bunch of rich, mostly white spoiled kids who think the world is *theirs* are suddenly thrown, as harshly as possible, into a cauldron of piracy, civil war, and madness where their social status means exactly shit.

I really liked the conversations you got as you rescued each friend and brought them back to the cave. It hit home how traumatizing the whole experience is for them.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Ajay had no personality.

Jason had one. I think they are well-crafted stories, but Far Cry 3 is a better one.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Whoa, we've turned around on 3's story and characters now? 4 badly under-utilized Min, whatever you may think of Vaas, and Ajay was basically a faceless avatar. 4 did have Longinus, though.

3 just had better moments overall. Everyone remembers the drugstep fields, but the unironic Flight of the Valkyries bit was also amazing.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Absurdity MatrixAbsurdity Matrix Tumbledown Glory On the OutskirtsRegistered User regular
    To say Ajay has no personality is an exaggeration but not much of one.

Huh. Far Cry 4 isn't the story of Ajay at all, is it? A big theme there is how the current struggle in Kyrat is an echo of that of the preceding generation. That is,
    Ajay is sorta in his mother's position; in how he's regarded by Min, in how he's forced between traditionalist/modernist forces pulling in opposite directions, in that what he represents is FAR more important to the major players than who he is. In that way, his not having a real character kinda makes sense.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    To say Ajay has no personality is an exaggeration but not much of one.

Huh. Far Cry 4 isn't the story of Ajay at all, is it? A big theme there is how the current struggle in Kyrat is an echo of that of the preceding generation. That is,
    Ajay is sorta in his mother's position; in how he's regarded by Min, in how he's forced between traditionalist/modernist forces pulling in opposite directions, in that what he represents is FAR more important to the major players than who he is. In that way, his not having a real character kinda makes sense.

This is pretty much what I was coming in here to say. Jason Brody has a much more intriguing character arc than Ajay, but the story surrounding them is far better in FC4 than it is in FC3. I personally liked how they handled it in the fourth game better, and considering that they're allowing us to choose gender/race in FC5, I'm guessing it will lean more toward the fourth game than the third in that respect.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Jason may have had more of a personality but that personality was "complete asshole" so that's not exactly a plus in my mind. Ajay was just a nice young man in a shitty situation.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Ajay was so boring though. Like him or hate him, at least jason was a character in the story.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Speaking of Far Cry 4 -- I haven't bought it yet, but I decided to watch the secret ending via youtube just now. That's fun. Shadow Complex did something similar. I suppose it did spoil me on something, but eh, oh well.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm actually just about to play Far Cry 4 for the first time thanks to its timeliness with the sequel reveal, but first I need to finish up the Wolfenstein reboot because shooting Nazis has somehow become even more timely.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Also, Far Cry 4 was the best because you could do THIS:

(Gameplay Spoilers)

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Whoever decided that the grenade launcher should be in the sidearm category is a genius who should be praised until the end of time.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    OK, I had forgotten about that. Far Cry 4 had some real good stuff in it.

(I still liked 3's story better)

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I dunno, killing @Malakaius by having him hang from the copter and then seeing up into the propeller was pretty awesome in Far Cry 4.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Aistan wrote: »
    Jason may have had more of a personality but that personality was "complete asshole" so that's not exactly a plus in my mind. Ajay was just a nice young man in a shitty situation.

A character does not have to be likable to be a well written character. Jason certainly cares about his friends, he's just out of his elementary to a ludicrous extent, and starts getting caught up in a power trip when he finds he has a talent for killing.

Both of those things do bad things to his psyche.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Aistan wrote: »

A character does not have to be likable to be a well written character. Jason certainly cares about his friends, he's just out of his elementary to a ludicrous extent, and starts getting caught up in a power trip when he finds he has a talent for killing.

Both of those things do bad things to his psyche.

Sure.

But I don't like him and don't enjoy playing as him, so I didn't enjoy the game.

• Options
    Honestly, Spec Ops: The Line spoiled me for playing a character that spirals into doing horrible things. Jason didn't really stand up.

Especially since all that time spent farting around playing poker and such really diluted that path. It's very hard to do that kind of character development in open-world games.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I doubt we'll ever get another​ Spec Ops The Line. It was just too strong to replicate.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I said something wrong here and this is my edit to fix it.

Truly I am the one who has descended into madness.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Spec Ops and Far Cry 3 were written by the same guy.

You may have just made me want to play Far Cry 3. Heard much about it but the main protag didn't seem like someone I'd want to play an entire game as and the endings were... kind of... eh to me.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

I say Spec Ops does it much better, especially since the linear structure forces the player down a path that they can't walk away from. Every little part of that game adds to the commentary it's making.

In Far Cry I can kill 50 dudes and the go hang gliding.

• Options

You may have just made me want to play Far Cry 3. Heard much about it but the main protag didn't seem like someone I'd want to play an entire game as and the endings were... kind of... eh to me.

It's something that comes across better as you play the game. It's not winning any oscars but it works.

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Maybe I should play through it a second time, but I just found Spec Ops' twist to be hokey and contrived.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    It wasn't so much the twist for me, although that was good. It was showing the actual decay of the characters as they go through each level. Physically and emotionally.

"Tango down."
    "Target left flank."
    "Nice work."

"Kill FUCKING-CONFIRMED!
    "I want him DEAD!"

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Executions when from just shooting a bleeding out dude to savagly beating them. It wasn't like Gears when the over the top violence was celebrated and goofy, it made me uncomfortable. Plus it gave you a ton of ammo, which is scarse, giving you a reason to beat your enemies to death while you found it off putting.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    mxmarks edited his post with a correction.

Spec Ops The Line was written by Walt Williams

Far Cry 3 was written by Jeffrey Yohalem, Lucien Soulban, and Li Kuo

• Options
    My main problem with Spec Ops was that the big "YEAH! ... what the fuuuuuck did we do" moment didn't work at all for me.
    In the heat vision scope I could clearly tell they were civilians. A big group massed together, not moving, contrasted with the soldiers who are spread apart and moving around and firing at us? Yeah those are civilians i'm not going to fire down there. Wait... it won't let me proceed until I do? Well maybe I can try to fire sorta close while still missing them oh it made that explosion bigger then caught the entire trench aflame great, thanks video games.

Decent game, good message, great setting, but my mindset while playing accidentally made me not able to appreciate the full impact.

Far Cry 4 is definitely dumber, but it gives you a decent idea that there aren't very many good options in Kyrat with the people fighting over power. It's either help shithead #1 or shithead #2, as they fight against shithead #3. Whichever way you go you can do your best to try to minimize the bad stuff happening.

Honestly I would enjoy it a lot less if they hadn't had that semi-hidden opportunity post-main quest that they put in.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Well, that was a choice you made. You could have stopped playing if you really cared, but 99.9% of players, myself included, weren't going to stop. That's part of the game's story. Even if it was only a simulation, you did it anyway.

Whether that hit you or not is subjective, but the issue of not having a choice is a huge part of the game.
    You DO have a choice, and you don't have a choice in a literal sense. Both things are portrayed sympathetically. The unfairness of the white phosphorus situation is intended. Walker feels its unfair too! Plus the game designers know it! Let's say your superior orders you to fire a rocket into a building with insurgents and there happened to be kids inside. Guess what? Tough shit. You got your orders and followed them. The guilt is very much real... but it's also a war and soldiers have to follow orders to stay alive. It's ambiguous, and most importantly, it's not fun. Whether you get remembered as a hero or villain is often a matter of luck. Even if the situation was justified, a lot of people still suffer the guilt from it.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I say Spec Ops does it much better, especially since the linear structure forces the player down a path that they can't walk away from. Every little part of that game adds to the commentary it's making.

In Far Cry I can kill 50 dudes and the go hang gliding.

I don't know that I'd say better just because they aren't trying to do the same thing, it's not a straight comparison.

The fact that you can kill 50 dudes then go hang gliding fits what Far Cry 3 is doing with it's narrative.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Honestly, it didn't quite feel to me that the Far Cry 3 narrative was self aware enough. There was always a question in the back of my mind whether I'm supposed to like this douchebag

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    mxmarks edited his post with a correction.

Spec Ops The Line was written by Walt Williams

Far Cry 3 was written by Jeffrey Yohalem, Lucien Soulban, and Li Kuo

In that case I retract my preorder of Far Cry 3.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Honestly, it didn't quite feel to me that the Far Cry 3 narrative was self aware enough. There was always a question in the back of my mind whether I'm supposed to like this douchebag

See I thought it was the right amount without like rubbing it in your face. Because that would have made it much less enjoyable to me.

And I mean he's a drug filled murder loving maniac. Like any character he is what he is and you will like or not like him based on your own feelings.

• Options
    Executions when from just shooting a bleeding out dude to savagly beating them. It wasn't like Gears when the over the top violence was celebrated and goofy, it made me uncomfortable. Plus it gave you a ton of ammo, which is scarse, giving you a reason to beat your enemies to death while you found it off putting.

Man, I forgot the executions got more brutal as you went along.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I still have no idea what "pussy trigger" means.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Hot take: Crysis was the best Far Cry game

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I really enjoyed FC2 because it did something "new" and think that while FC3 improved upon the groundwork laid, FC4 merely continued it.

Having said all of that ... story/endings:
    woooooooooooooooooooow.
    FC2: we have a very thin plot and ultimately we either kill ourselves by gun or bomb because that nice man that gave us malaria medicine told us to do so.
    FC3: More substance but again, the ending.. Vaas' crazy sister outcrazying Vaas.
    FC4: Any choice you make sucks, and despite being able to kill Sabal or whateverhernameis post ending, it changes nothing. Ironically, this game had the best ending *ever*, but it was hidden and required you to have experienced the other atrocious endings to appreciate it.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Far Cry 4's hidden ending is amazing

And probably the canon ending, because it is the most plausible one.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Far Cry 4's hidden ending is amazing

And probably the canon ending, because it is the most plausible one.

Yeah, I mean, unless you are crazy you just do what Mr. Min asks you to do and get the hell out of there.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    My confusion about it being the same writer is because I misremembered this fantastic article where they sit down with both writers and have them talk about their games

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/09/fire-away-spec-ops-far-cry-3-writers-on-criticizing-fps/

Massive spoilers for both games, but a great read.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    I started playing FC Primal last night. I'm only a couple hours in right now, but so far I'm actually liking it a lot more than I expected to. I'm interested to see how the weapons and skills and stuff open up as I get further into the game.

Plus I figure if I finish it in the next month or so, I should be just about ready for a new Far Cry game when FC5 hits next year.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Finally got into Far Cry 4. Good stuff, but whoever decided you need five rhino pelts to craft your cell phone case or whatever needs to be kicked in the sensitive areas.