As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Far Cry New Dawn - The MOST realistic premise ever

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I just had my first FC4 experience of having a methodical attempt to clear an outpost only using stealth takedowns ruined by the wildlife. I cleared out about half the camp and disabled half the alarms when I noticed a honey badger. This led to trying to speed things up but it wasn't to be. The badger found me, I ran out and got noticed, and reinforcements were called in. I shot at least three enemies that were fighting the badger but they eventually prevailed over it. A firefight broke out which I was more than capable of winning but there wasn't a lot of great cover so it was mostly retreating into a building and letting them come to me. Then wolves showed up and ended the fight.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    I just had my first FC4 experience of having a methodical attempt to clear an outpost only using stealth takedowns ruined by the wildlife. I cleared out about half the camp and disabled half the alarms when I noticed a honey badger. This led to trying to speed things up but it wasn't to be. The badger found me, I ran out and got noticed, and reinforcements were called in. I shot at least three enemies that were fighting the badger but they eventually prevailed over it. A firefight broke out which I was more than capable of winning but there wasn't a lot of great cover so it was mostly retreating into a building and letting them come to me. Then wolves showed up and ended the fight.

I was scoping out a camp with my camera when I hear a low growl behind me. Naturally a tiger has appeared rather close and of course I've still got my camera out and wait where did it g--

:?

• Options
    Shogun wrote: »

I was scoping out a camp with my camera when I hear a low growl behind me. Naturally a tiger has appeared rather close and of course I've still got my camera out and wait where did it g--

:?

Ouch. A tiger sneaking up on you when you're stealthed is bad. I swear that crouching makes you vulnerable to their grapple kill.

Most of the predatory animals seem to have their own unique ways of really destroying you.

Tigers have a pounce and can sneak up on you. Bears are less stealthy but sometimes hide out in caves that give them cover and little room for you to run. Honey badgers are tough to hit due to their size. Leopards come out of nowhere at blazing speed. Wolves come in packs of four or more when just two can easily kill you.

And while rarer, snake venom seems to do a lot of damage over time. I found one cave that had a snake past one entryway that I shot from a safe distance. I still heard hissing though so I turned and saw another entryway with 5 or 6 snakes laying in wait. I decided a molotov was the safest course of action.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    i-vMHPJL5-1050x10000.jpg

• Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    Anyone having a problem getting 0 uplay points for playing this game?

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    Anyone having a problem getting 0 uplay points for playing this game?

The milestones that get you points don't always match the achievement that sounds like the same thing.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Anyone else trying to unlock the Bushman? Requires rank 10 in the arena. I'm up to rank 4 and I've stagnated. The animals at the end of the round keep getting me. The dogs they put in at first go down easy, but these cats are so fast and my attempts at baiting them close to the exploding barrels are in vain thus far.

• Options
    Anyone else trying to unlock the Bushman? Requires rank 10 in the arena. I'm up to rank 4 and I've stagnated. The animals at the end of the round keep getting me. The dogs they put in at first go down easy, but these cats are so fast and my attempts at baiting them close to the exploding barrels are in vain thus far.

I unlocked it last night and decided I wasn't as much of a fan of it as the Shredder due to the increased recoil on a magnified sight. But I still take it on some missions I know might benefit from the longer range.

Around rank 4 or 5 I switched over to Endless, which has a more gradual enemy progression and expects you to die eventually anyway, and weapon challenges.

Weapon challenges seemed to always have a rhino in the last round though you don't fight it alone. There are still at least two enemy teams. I also seemed to always get a bear and tiger in the second round and would hope they fought each other or lure them into doing so. Weapon challenges using non-standard weapons seemed much more doable for some reason. Most kills would be takedowns and occasionally something got grenaded/rocketed/crossbowed/double barrel shotguned/elephant gunned. Attempts with an assault rifle usually ended in failure, likely due to the animals.

What I wound up doing for the last 4 ranks or so though were community made matches after I switched to playing online for a bit. There's a 1.5 bonus for winning one. You need to skip over the matches that have too many animals since some people just like throwing as many rhinos and badgers into a round that they can. Ideally you get something that has rounds full of 2x human enemies and clearing those usually got me around 1.5-2k arena points but towards the end of my grind I was only seeing animal crammed death traps and 1x beheader/berserker rounds so I just did the latter and usually still got 800ish points for a pretty quick and risk free match. The melee soldiers are some of the most boring enemies to fight but are massive points if you can do chain takedowns on them.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    DreadBert wrote: »
    Robes wrote: »
    Torn between this and Dragon Age Inquisition right now so far ( as I'm guessing alot of people are). It is pretty awesome though. I don't know why everyone freaks out over hawks though. It's weird to see 8 soldiers shooting in the air trying to kill one hawk while a rhino charges at them.

Can't blame them though. Had two sherpas killed last night by eagles before I could reach them to sell stuff. Couple eagle attacks seem to kill about anything in act one.

Eagles are the cliff racers of Kyrat but much deadlier.

:bro:

I just came in here to say that. By far the most annoying aspect of the this game. Especially since they warp on top of you from a few meters out during their dive.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Eagles are funny when you keep seeing people firing wildly into the air to kill a bird.

Until they start attacking you and things become super. Duper. Serious.

And you start firing wildly into the air to kill a bird.

• Options
    Eagles are funny when you keep seeing people firing wildly into the air to kill a bird.

Until they start attacking you and things become super. Duper. Serious.

And you start firing wildly into the air to kill a bird.

In Kyrat, bird watching is not a hobby. It is a required survival skill.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular

is the arena open for co-op games? I imagine having two to do it would make it much easier.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Man the hitching on this on PC is pretty annoying. I'm keen to forgive it every once in a while but I can't drive even a short trip without it happening multiple times.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Looking forward to getting my hands on this in a few days.

Is it still pretty easy to get around the map? Seeing a lot more mountains in this one kind of made me worry.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    You can get a mini helicopter. It's plenty easy.

The save system can still go suck a fat one. I hate it, just give me a fucking quicksave button.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Looking forward to getting my hands on this in a few days.

Is it still pretty easy to get around the map? Seeing a lot more mountains in this one kind of made me worry.

There's more use of vertical space but you get tools to navigate it. Getting to specific areas can take some work and may require you to find grappling points or a cave tunnel but the mini-helicopters generally make traveling faster.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Eagles would be a bit less annoying if they didn't lock you into an animation to fend them off that always seems to kick in when you're about to fire on them. I was often harassed during a tower I couldn't figure out for the longest time and fell to my death at least 3 times attempting. Normally the damage they do wouldn't bother me much but that much falling damage made every bit count.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Pagan Min in the game a decent amount, or barely at all?

This will honestly affect how soon I purchase this.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Pagan Min in the game a decent amount, or barely at all?

This will honestly affect how soon I purchase this.

How do you define decent? It's a different setup from FC3 where you dealt with a villain switch partway through. But Pagan is the big boss with lieutenants under him so you don't directly interact with him the same way you did Vaas early on. He will call you up to talk about things after some events though, whether it's asking which Golden Path leader you like better, suggesting new clothes, or wondering out loud who keeps lighting the candles at shrines every day and whether he should ban candles. I've just gained access to the second half of the map so his direct involvement might increase from here but one of the last story missions I did was the first direct interaction he had since the opening. It's mostly long distance before that with some side characters sometimes describing his unusual habits and hangups.

He is the author of the in game guide to animals, people, and places too so you do get to see his opinion on honey badgers.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Love love love exploring in this game. The grappling mechanic is awesome, and the Buzzer is crazy fun.

Went climbing up a cliff near a waterfall, and then right as I got to the top BAM there's a Bengal Tiger waiting to bite my face off.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Having a lot of fun with this, as expected as I loved Far Cry 3.

So far my lasting impression of the game is "Look out, it's an eagle. Watch out for the talons! *rat* *tat* *ratatatatatat*"

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Last night I had my "what a beautiful game" moment.

I was on a grassy mountain summit, watching the yaks graze. As I drew back on my bow, a bear came out of the grass and started to gnaw on one of the yaks. I decided to just watch this moment of nature that had been so lovingly animated for me. The bear proceeded to work his way through 3 yaks before noticing me and charging, at which point I put him down.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

So far my lasting impression of the game is "Look out, it's an eagle. Watch out for the talons! *rat* *tat* *ratatatatatat*"

The sky was the last frontier for the wildlife to be able to murder you.

I am still impressed that they managed to make the waters of a region that has no oceans for sharks and is too cold for alligators or other warm water carnivores suitably dangerous.

Steam Profile
  • Options

I am still impressed that they managed to make the waters of a region that has no oceans for sharks and is too cold for alligators or other warm water carnivores suitably dangerous.

i've seen an npc get snatched by some sort of croc/alligator though. it played out in one of those zoom camera things after i liberated a bell tower.

• Options

i've seen an npc get snatched by some sort of croc/alligator though. it played out in one of those zoom camera things after i liberated a bell tower.

The little zoom vignettes don't always seem to reflect what you actually see in gameplay. There's certainly something in the water for you to deal with though.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Which hilariously flop out onto land when you explode them.

• Options
    Which hilariously flop out onto land when you explode them.

Which is really the same thing everything else does when you explode it. From a balance standpoint, making one of the grenade launchers a sidearm is questionable but from a hilarity standpoint . . .

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I am so glad the grenade launcher is a sidearm. It means I have a one-handed weapon that can actually do something worthwhile, generally while I'm also doing something awesome like hanging from a parachute or zooming down a zipline.

• Options
    FalvesFalves Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Man the hitching on this on PC is pretty annoying. I'm keen to forgive it every once in a while but I can't drive even a short trip without it happening multiple times.

This stuttering fix worked wonders for me:
    http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=15097&game=Far Cry 4&title=Far Cry 4 Big Fixes - Stuttering Fix, Intro Screen Skip And Disable Mouse Acceleration

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Love love love exploring in this game. The grappling mechanic is awesome, and the Buzzer is crazy fun.

Went climbing up a cliff near a waterfall, and then right as I got to the top BAM there's a Bengal Tiger waiting to bite my face off.

Has anyone baited an animal into following you off a cliff? You grapple to safety and the chasing tiger sails over the edge?

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    I saw an eagle snatch up a pig earlier

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Oakey wrote: »
    I saw an eagle snatch up a pig earlier

Saw that happen and my wife was watching and we laughed because it dropped it from like 50 feet up. It swoops back by and grabs ANOTHER PIG.
    So I waited until it was about that height again and pinged it with my sniper rifle. Three skins, one bullet. A+

• Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    Fuck eagles. I'd pay for a remove eagles DLC.

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    Fucking fucking fuckers.

I can confirm that crocodiles are indeed in the game.

And they are still assholes.

• Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Fucking fucking fuckers.

I can confirm that crocodiles are indeed in the game.

And they are still assholes.

Noticed something attack an elephant and stupidly walked up to the riverbank to get a look. Only croc I've seen though. Really curious about them fighting demonfish.

Side note, hunting the named badger was awesome. Between having to confirm several times that I was prepared to die, and mass carnage caused by that little bugger...

DreadBert on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    The 87 signature shotgun that works as a sidearm...I feel like the fucking Terminator driving around, one handed shooting and reloading that sumbitch. It is an impossibly good gun.

• Options
    KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    Free roaming in this (and FC3) are just amazing to me. This is exactly what I want to spend most of my time doing when we get some good virtual reality going. Amazing locale with tons of variety and random things that can happen make for a nearly unique session every time.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    The 87 signature shotgun that works as a sidearm...I feel like the fucking Terminator driving around, one handed shooting and reloading that sumbitch. It is an impossibly good gun.
    Shotguns in general are amazing in this game.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Fucking badgers!

Also holy shit it seems like "It never ends" like kill some dudes, doles attack, snakes, eagles, more dudes. By the time its done I'm like looking around with my pistol "ANYTHING ELSE?" And then a badger kills me.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net