As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Far Cry New Dawn - The MOST realistic premise ever

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    How does Cross-progression work anyone know? I'm going to have to make a new Ubisoft account because I guess I have TWO Ubisoft accounts and you can't merge them together. However I'm not seeing the option on how you would even do this.
    Prohass wrote: »
    How are the visuals on next gen consoles? I imagine cos it’s cross gen and Ubisoft it’s nothing to write home about?

Definitely 4K and 60 and - at least from my play on PC - seems to at least be a High Preset. No tearing that I've seen so far and as BD480 (that could actually be a Star Wars droid name) the HDR is really good (UBI HDR can be hit or miss in my opinion).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    Very much not a big fan of the new ammo system. I hated it when Wolfenstein: Youngblood did something similar as well. It's like... just let me shoot dudes with the guns I want when I want. Or at the very absolute least, let me swap ammo on the fly instead of a mod that needs a station to change.

• Options
    Metallikat wrote: »
    Very much not a big fan of the new ammo system. I hated it when Wolfenstein: Youngblood did something similar as well. It's like... just let me shoot dudes with the guns I want when I want. Or at the very absolute least, let me swap ammo on the fly instead of a mod that needs a station to change.

Mod stations are everywhere though and you can still kill all enemies with all ammo types. Once you get multiple weapons you'll be able to easily swap on the fly out to a weapon that has the right ammo for the job you are looking to shoot. And by job I mean head. So it's not a huge thing. . .at least once you get off Intro Island.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Is it normal for Guapo to keep getting his shit pushed in by a mongoose?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Mongooses don't fuck around.

Have you seen Rikki Tikki Tavi?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Last night I was able to sack an FDN checkpoint only firing 2 shots to get an assaulter up one of the sniper towers, the rest of the checkpoint's forces were decimated by a trio of mongooses I set loose there and 2 horses that started stampeding through the cops after the mongeese ripped the 2 vanguards on said horses out of the saddle.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Last night I was able to sack an FDN checkpoint only firing 2 shots to get an assaulter up one of the sniper towers, the rest of the checkpoint's forces were decimated by a trio of mongooses I set loose there and 2 horses that started stampeding through the cops after the mongeese ripped the 2 vanguards on said horses out of the saddle.

I much look forward to playing this ridiculous game.

• Options
    Last night playing and I was having a good time, though I kept thinking "This game is good, but I swear FC5 had more 'stuff' to do out of the gate. . .oh well, now to spend two hours trying to 'perfectly stealth' these two blockade ships."

. . .then I got to the second mainland and everything lit up like a Ubisoft Christmas Tree, with you tripping over tips and quests as you try to find a horse station. Everything feels a lot more subtler relative to FC5's "Here's an obvious prepper stash!"

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    This game gives you a
    gator, rocket launcher (backpack) and a flamethrower
    in the first hour.

After my own heart.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    This game gives you a
    gator, rocket launcher (backpack) and a flamethrower
    in the first hour.

After my own heart.

Guapo for Presidente

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    If its anything like the past three Far Crys, sadly, companions are probably going to end up being annoyingly fragile.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    So having gotten a good ways into the game (still a fair bit to go, haven't seen more than a few mechanics we know are in the game or that are referenced) but theres some stuff that is either bugged or are really poor decision choices: 1) the grappling over things in this game is much poorer than in FC5, like a significant step back. Things you would think you can grapple over by pulling yourself up you cant (like fences) and stuff you can is surprising when it happens (roofs angled down); 2) swimming and the underwater mechanic sucks. Why you can't dive, I dunno. Also the "out of breath" mechanic where Dani just starts hyperventilating wildly after 3 seconds underwater is stupid - just give me a breath-o-meter; 3) the save system is broken - if, when I reload a base, enemies come back exactly as they were where you've restarted me, so should my items. You know this is a bug too because the proper behavior happens when you quit out of the game and CONTINUE instead of reloading the autosave; 4) speaking of bases, the enemy respawn is straight up bugged. Enemies should NOT be respawning out of thin air and yet they do, often in the same places as where you killed them. If I weren't playing the game with radar on (game is too frustrating with the enemy spawn without it) I would think my game was bugged to hell or there were 100 dudes in a location.

. . .good game though.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    You can pretend it's Skyrim with the horses somewhat, but if I do that I have to mute the sound. Mostly I'm spending this weekend marvelling at how well done the horses are, to remake them in Dreams.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    The enemies respawning out of thin air is, by all accounts, intentional and working as intended.

Haven't gotten a chance to play yet but hearing that does dampen the excitement a bit. Also I heard the helicopters become way too frequent and you have to kind of build around them. I felt that a little in FC5, so to hear its worse is highly concerning. Most of the time I felt obliged to bring a homing rocket.

Also the new ammo system sounds like a step back.

I kind of want to wait for mods. They usually smooth out stuff like ammo. These games typically aren't mod friendly but mods that, say, adjust weapon and ammo damage are usually available.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Haven't played it yet but I still think it's weird to drop the skills/perk system. Stuff like that makes almost all games better.

• Options
    The ammo system is actually not a bad trade of for having all your weapons available to you at once. Right now I have three rifles and they all have one of Soft-body, armor and blast. Same spread of ammo is on my sniper rifles (armor, poison, incendiary). Basically you should have a pretty good complement of ammo once you get off the tutorial island. I feel that's a fair tradeoff for having access to all your weapons all at once.
    Magus` wrote: »
    Haven't played it yet but I still think it's weird to drop the skills/perk system. Stuff like that makes almost all games better.

They haven't dropped it, you just have to find the gear with the perks instead of grinding perk points. Now that does mean you have less perks active at once, but looking through the old Far Cry 5 perks you really aren't missing anything that isn't in a gear set.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Oh joy, they've kept the "only one save" BS so now I can't play the game since my wife has been playing it.

It's on PS5 so no moving saves around. Digital copy so not sure if I can play it on a different profile.

Edit: Alright, a second profile worked but goddamn.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    So the Side Operation is actually not just a small mission in the game world. It's a huge bespoke map for the format. It's also pretty fun, though I would caution doing it with a random without good communication.

. . . and it was funny playing last night; at one point I thought, "Jesus this is a slow plot" until I realized that was all on me as I kept getting distracted by shit popping up or reloading base captures so I could get a perfect score.
    Digital copy so not sure if I can play it on a different profile.

Of course you can. At minimum the PS5 will treat it as a new account, trophies and all. Ubisoft Connect should as well. Also. . .

https://youtu.be/QaQMA6bJ_aI

ED! on
  • Options
    Alright, so the bugs have officially started to sour me on the game. Particularly the enemy respawn (not sure if it is a bug or intentional) which completely and utterly shits on players who are attempting to stealth their way through bases. If it were tied to the alarm system or the enemies who can call in heli's that would be fine, however when they are literally respawning because the cell they are in triggers it - yeah this isn't fun. Thinking of shelving this until it is fixed or addressed as working as intended.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I went back to the first island today to get the few chests I had skipped when I unlocked the larger play area. One of the chests is in the top of a water tower with a high hill overlooking it. I jumped off the top of the hill, wingsuited to within 50 meters of the tower, popped my chute, and landed perfectly on the upper level. It felt totally badass.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I feel like there is a huge missed opportunity to have the amigos sitting in the passenger seat of the vehicles you drive. Just imagine the aligator hanging its head out the window.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ED! wrote: »
    The ammo system is actually not a bad trade of for having all your weapons available to you at once. Right now I have three rifles and they all have one of Soft-body, armor and blast. Same spread of ammo is on my sniper rifles (armor, poison, incendiary). Basically you should have a pretty good complement of ammo once you get off the tutorial island. I feel that's a fair tradeoff for having access to all your weapons all at once.

They haven't dropped it, you just have to find the gear with the perks instead of grinding perk points. Now that does mean you have less perks active at once, but looking through the old Far Cry 5 perks you really aren't missing anything that isn't in a gear set.

I get what they are saying though. Getting perks from a tree means a continual feeling of progression.

Whereas with the gear if you get the gear that has the most beneficial perks for your character early you're just kinda done with that feeling of progression all game.

Ubisoft games run into this issue a lot though even with skill trees. Since they love to make each skill tree based on a completely different style of play but want to make sure you get every single perk through the game so like 1/3rd of the way through you have everything you want for your character.

• Options
    Yeah, this. My wife has stopped playing it and is replaying New Dawn because she likes the sense of progression that much more.

• Options
    I suppose that's possible in theory but, at least for me, it hasn't shook out that way in practice. There's one set you can complete early that I would say I use more than any other, but it isn't a combat set (more defensive, traversal) and those I swap around as the situation fits, which I think is what UBISOFT was going for: not having you locked into a specific build and being able to customize your build to suit present needs.

This customization extends beyond gear though and is evident in the SUPREMO mods and gear and your weapon attachments and mods. So I agree that games like FC5 had their progression system more explicit, but FC6 has I think a subtle (but still there) progression system where you're moving towards your ideal build.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    The problem is I don't want to have to go into a menu to change my gear before and after I assault an outpost or do a mission or whatever.

Speaking of assaulting outposts, I fucking hate the heat meter. If you get spotted and have to go loud, you can expect a 5-10 minute drawn out fight as more and more enemies keep arriving. It isn't fun.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Prioritize alarms and officers.

• Options
    Speaking of assaulting outposts, I fucking hate the heat meter. If you get spotted and have to go loud, you can expect a 5-10 minute drawn out fight as more and more enemies keep arriving. It isn't fun.

This is almost assuredly broken and I imagine will be one of the first things patched (and there's a lot in the game that needs to have another looking at).

• Options
    The problem is I don't want to have to go into a menu to change my gear before and after I assault an outpost or do a mission or whatever.

Yeah, changing gear gets old.

Also, are explosive rounds as shitty as they appear? I put them on a 4 star sniper rifle and it basically tickled a helicopter.

Also, the .50 cal sniper rifle sucks hard, unless I'm missing something?

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I picked up some Ubisoft+ to try it out.

Overall, it's ok, but much how Far Cry 5's melee weapons were an experiment that failed, so it s Far Cry 6's ammo system.

Explosive rounds suck on everything that is not an LMG for vehicle damage. I just use AP rounds on everything because with headshots even soft targets die (it is silly my high powered sniper with AP ammo can't one-shot a guy in a buttoned shirt).

So yeah, honestly just take all AP ammo and bring one explosive weapon for tanks/helis (there is a firework launcher early game from Juan which is pretty good at both).

Pros
    • The Machete is back. Please always have over the top gory melee kills, Far Cry. It literally never gets old.
    • I like the story a lot. So far my favorite FC story since the series restarted with 3. The characters I've met so far (almost near the end of the top left region, was my first region) are endearing and charming. So far, no one has really been doing really dumb stuff for the sake of having a story/drama. The stakes usually seem appropriately high and while some characters are crazy things always seem grounded. Like, in some games characters just crack endless jokes. You get a few here, but usually the characters so far are treating things like an appropriately big deal. Also I haven't been tranquilized and forced into a scripted mission yet, so we're already leaps and bounds above FC5 when it comes to story/gameplay intersection.
    • I really like Yara
    • Machete
    • Esposito as Costillo is great. I'm totally fine we don't interact with them directly. I don't think we need to.
    • Stealth seems more intuitive/easier. I think its because they gave us a lot of the late-game FC 3/4 melee stealth toolbox to us right off the bat. In FC5 I thought stealth was legit non functional. I would shoot someone with an arrow and everyone in a mile radius would hear the body slump to the ground or something. So far every encampment has been a 100% stealth clear and I'm loving it.
    • M A C H E T E
    • I feel there is decent freedom in completing side mission objectives and their encounters. I feel I am rewarded for getting up close and stealthing it or being discreet with a sniper, or stealing a tank etc. Its nice that some events like taking over checkpoints don't give a toss about stealth. Edit: one good thing about no Experience Bar is that sneaking in, killing a VIP, and getting out is completely viable instead of 'feeling' like I am wasting potential exp points
    • Loading times on my SSD are suuupper short and I love it
    • Some perks and build stuff are neat. I have these gloves that ping all enemies on the map if I machete kill someone. They are AMAZING for a stealth playthrough, holy crap.

Cons
    • The ammo system. Lol. so unnecessary and really cramps my style.
    • I wish we had one more primary weapon. I would love to keep a bow on me and not have to rummage through inventory every time. Ergo I just never ever use bows anymore. And that's sad.
    • Enemy spawning. I think its intentional/not bugged, it just sucks. I like that I could 'win'. It encourages running through engagements.
    • The player is very weak to damage. A little too flimsy IMO, especially when the new ammo system basically nerfs outgoing damage.
    • The way stuff is unlocked is not clear. Is it all just sitting there waiting in fixed spots? I need a guided rocket launcher so fucking bad and I'm worried I won't see it for a long, long time.
    • The heat system. It's a good idea executed poorly. There needs to be ways to reduce it quickly, such as finding an officer or something and killing them.
    • Likewise the perk/gearing system seems really constrained/narrow. I wish we had a simple "Dani" series of perk slots, something agnostic from gear. Just that little bit more breathing room than weapons/supremo/clothing.

OpposingFarce on
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    All I want to know is if this one has the thing where you just walk away from the controller for 15 minutes at the start and the game ends.

I’m probably not going to play it, certain choices made for FC5 soured me on the franchise.

There is something similar it just takes a bit longer to get to.
    After the tutorial island you are given the boat you are promised so you can leave for Miami. Of course you're also given a speech about how helpful you will be to the cause. If you get into that boat and drive off the map you get a cutscene of Dani sitting on a beach in Miami and listening to a radio news report about the revolution being put down. When you reload your last save, Dani says something about feeling refreshed for some reason.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    Ammo system sucks. I finished the game before finally upgrading to explosive rounds and boy am I glad I didn't bother trying before that. It's kind of silly, shooting them and having the exploding rounds cause minimal damage until that ONE shot sends them flying.

Also, how do you get around
    downtown Esperanza
    , there are some high value targets that keep eluding me. I've seen the
    sewers
    but they don't appear to reach everything

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Is the game worth picking up right now, bug wise? I thought I read something about soldiers respawning weirdly during outpost takeovers but wasn't sure if that was worth holding off or no.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    The only issue I have had in my playtime so far was that an enemy got stuck in an elevator and I wasn't able to finish the quest and had to replay that particular section. Otherwise, I haven't had a crash or bug that I am aware of.

• Options
    The only issue I have had in my playtime so far was that an enemy got stuck in an elevator and I wasn't able to finish the quest and had to replay that particular section. Otherwise, I haven't had a crash or bug that I am aware of.

Same with me on PS5. Had a couple of targets get hung up on geometry and had to replay a couple of short 10-15 minute sections, otherwise rock solid with few framerate issues and no hard crashes.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I was already wary of more far cry and the whole spawning enemies things, whether it’s a bug or part of the game, just evokes so much of what I’ve come to dislike about far cry’s gameplay. Like it’s all bombast and no underlying context or substance. And while the stories are also similarly hamstrung, I could play and enjoy them if the gameplay felt more meaningful and textured. As it is this series is now permanently in my “buy when at half price” folder

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    The respawning thing is not cool. Take a few steps out of a restricted area you just cleared and more bad guys just appear behind you.

I have to think this is not intended and hope it gets fixed. Otherwise I'm liking this one a lot.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    BlueshiftBlueshift Registered User regular
    After waffling on the ammo thing (I'm now like 30ish hours in) I've decided that you can basically play without worrying about it at all if you just put armor piercing rounds in your guns and something big for choppers/planes. Then it just plays like any other Far Cry (in an ideal world they would have kept the ammo switching from FC5 but it is what it is). I also really like the EMP grenades. Landing those on a low flying chopper or a tank is really satisfying.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Anybody know if you can share money or weapons with your coop partner?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Anybody know if you can share money or weapons with your coop partner?

Not in any way that I have seen, but literally everything that you loot is shared with a coop partner which is super great

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I really don't like the ammo thing. I could understand bonuses against enemies, but it feels to strong. Like watching a person with no helmet shrug off a sniper round to the head is really odd.

Although I think FC5 had the same issue where the first sniper was completely pointless.