As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GEOFF KEIGHLEY's Game Awards by GEOFF KEIGHLEY, hosted by GEOFF KEIGHLEY

167891012»

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I'm just now downloading Bayonetta 2. Financial hardships and what not, my gaming collection is lagging. Shovel Knight is on the list, but I will grab it when it's on sale for 9.99 in the future.

I picked up Tropical Freeze for the wife for Christmas, it's sitting under the tree. XD

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    Crayon wrote: »
    I'm pretty upset about giving GOTY to a game that's only been out for three weeks. Not only that but it's not even a particularly good one.

General consensus and their voting board highly disagree.

Man if Inquisition was the best game of 2014 then this year was dead in the fucking water.

It wasn't a great year but DAI is really good, I'm wondering if you either haven't played it or just don't like RPG's. It's an embarrassment of riches for fantasy RPG fans, probably even better and more satisfying than Skyrim.

Can I point out that being more satisfying than a game that is a thoroughly functional and pretty sandbox to be modded in isn't a great compliment?

There are plenty of good things to say about Skyrim, but "satisfying" is not the right word for a game that has still has "mash left attack and right attack" combat and about six voice actors.

I ate an engineer
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    As much as DA:I deserved to win, I was cheering a little for Hearthstone to win, if for no other reason than it would have been kind of hilarious

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I'm pretty upset about giving GOTY to a game that's only been out for three weeks. Not only that but it's not even a particularly good one.

Man if Inquisition was the best game of 2014 then this year was dead in the fucking water.

It wasn't a great year but DAI is really good, I'm wondering if you either haven't played it or just don't like RPG's. It's an embarrassment of riches for fantasy RPG fans, probably even better and more satisfying than Skyrim.

Can I point out that being more satisfying than a game that is a thoroughly functional and pretty sandbox to be modded in isn't a great compliment?

There are plenty of good things to say about Skyrim, but "satisfying" is not the right word for a game that has still has "mash left attack and right attack" combat and about six voice actors.

I couldnt think of any other big fantasy RPG's over the last few years.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Well, DAI is certainly my game of the year.

It's the one game I've played this year that I know I'm probably going to play through again about six or seven times over the next few years before I'm done with it.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    It's certainly not my goty, but having put 30 hours into it so far I can surely see why it is.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

Not to defend the flaws of Bethesda games (because there are definitely some, chief among them for me being shite writing) but I actually really like these ridiculously huge games having a more simplistic combat system.

Makes it easier to dive in and out. Not sure how involved you could make it in a game of that sort of potential length without having it start to wear you on after awhile.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Inquisition had weeks of media review before it came out (including an early lifting of the embargo) and considering the speed with which people consumed the game, three weeks was more than enough.

Mayhaps the early embargo lifting was related to the nomination in order to meet nomination criteria? /conspiracytheorist

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

I've put fifteen hours into the game and was not impressed. Boring combat, thoughtless sidequests, exploring is a chore, it's like they took the criticisms of Dragon Age II to the extreme opposite. I can think of ten better games that released this year off the top of my head.

Bayonetta 2
    Smash 4
    Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
    Wolfenstein
    This War of Mine
    Shovel Knight
    Alien: Isolation
    Mario Kart 8
    Freedom Wars
    Persona 4: Arena Ultimax

These were all stronger contenders by a large margin, but I guess they failed to make the million dollar handshake. But I'm sure the mods don't want any bitching about game of the year shitting up these threads so I'll shut my trap.

Well it's a good thing opinions are objective then.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Not to defend the flaws of Bethesda games (because there are definitely some, chief among them for me being shite writing) but I actually really like these ridiculously huge games having a more simplistic combat system.

Makes it easier to dive in and out.

Fallout has a simplistic combat system, but I felt like I have options in the base game and don't need heavy modding for it to work out. Plus I enjoy VATs a lot more than the typical melee smackfest or holding down a spell button. TES just felt much more limited in that respect, especially with the fragmented weapon skills really hindering swapping your gear around.

I ate an engineer
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I am just simply surprised that this event was actually watchable. Really good job done by GEOFF KEIGHLEY in organizing. Even ignoring the utter trainwreck that was VGX, every prior incarnation of yearly video game awards has been cringeworthy at best. This was generally well produced, didn't condescend to the audience, and had some legitimately touching moments.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Dragon age winning was totally worth it, mostly to see Varric plugging his book. :)

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I've put fifteen hours into the game and was not impressed. Boring combat, thoughtless sidequests, exploring is a chore, it's like they took the criticisms of Dragon Age II to the extreme opposite. I can think of ten better games that released this year off the top of my head.

Bayonetta 2
    Smash 4
    Wolfenstein
    This War of Mine
    Shovel Knight
    Mario Kart 8
    Freedom Wars

These were all stronger contenders by a large margin, but I guess they failed to make the million dollar handshake. But I'm sure the mods don't want any bitching about game of the year shitting up these threads so I'll shut my trap.

Well it's a good thing opinions are objective then.

Just mine ;)

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Btw, that was a pretty awesome jab at Bungie by announcing they won "best score," not giving them an award for it when they were up by the award spot, and then giving award to the guy they controversially fired during development.

Undead Scottsman on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah, who accepted the award? Did anyone say the name Marty o Donnell?

Didn't that case get settled already?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

Bungie guys came up, got the physical award for "Best Online" but not "Best Score" even though they won that too. Later Marty O'Donnell is up there and gets the physical award.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I think I'm most disappointed that The Wolf Among Us: Season 2 wasn't announced at this. GoT and Borderlands were announced at last years show, even though TWD S2 and TWAU had only just started, so I expected a similar thing here. I need more Bigby.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular

Bayonetta 2
    Smash 4
    Wolfenstein
    This War of Mine
    Shovel Knight
    Mario Kart 8
    Freedom Wars

lol I love how when a very good game gets praised and someone doesn't happen to like it they go to the "THEY BOUGHT THEIR AWARDS!!!!!!"

it's the "wake up, sheeple!" kind of person of the gaming world.

anyway yeah if you dont like it you dont like it, it's not perfect but it's being very well received by just about everyone, and your generic rhetoric doesn't really say anything meaningful other than you're mad and think a janky vita monster hunter clone should have been goty instead.

Are you the magic man?
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular

Bungie guys came up, got the physical award for "Best Online" but not "Best Score" even though they won that too. Later Marty O'Donnell is up there and gets the physical award.

Maybe they only had one award to give and they kept taking it back off camera.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    agoaj wrote: »

Maybe they only had one award to give and they kept taking it back off camera.

I've heard that about award shows before. They give you a prop one for the show and then mail you a better one later.

steam_sig.png

No Man's Sky team also not let in.

steam_sig.png

• Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    Is "Sneakers not allowed" code for "We don't like your kind here"?

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Only real sore spot were those comedians in the mid part, who almost felt like they were parodying bad guest host spots from previous award shows.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So did Wolfenstein and Alien Isolation win anything? :P

Oh brilliant
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    He should have snuck in under a cardboard box. Haaaaaaaay-O.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Sneakers not allowed? In an industry of hoodies and t-shirts under blazers?

Weird.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Frei wrote: »

Bayonetta 2
    Smash 4
    Wolfenstein
    This War of Mine
    Shovel Knight
    Mario Kart 8
    Freedom Wars

lol I love how when a very good game gets praised and someone doesn't happen to like it they go to the "THEY BOUGHT THEIR AWARDS!!!!!!"

it's the "wake up, sheeple!" kind of person of the gaming world.

anyway yeah if you dont like it you dont like it, it's not perfect but it's being very well received by just about everyone, and your generic rhetoric doesn't really say anything meaningful other than you're mad and think a janky vita monster hunter clone should have been goty instead.

You had me right until you sad bad things about Freedom Wars. Not that I think it should have won the GOTY prize.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    BillyIdle wrote: »
    Eh he could have tried to ad lib instead of call out the TelePrompTer

If you live by the teleprompter, you die by the teleprompter. Bad etiquette to call them out like that, but I think it's safe to say nobody has ever asked him to be on a stage before (or will ever again).

...unless calling out the teleprompter was on the teleprompter! *dun-DUN!*

Anyway, I only got to see the end of this. Is a replay available anywhere?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!