As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Build Thread] - What happens if I stick my screwdriver th- *bzzt*

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    I think I'm more a fan of the BitFenix Ghost.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Hey guys, a question. We recently moved, and suddenly the PSU from my parents' computer is doing a very annoying "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound constantly, which it didn't before we packed it. What could this be? And is there any hope of actually fixing it?

@Drascin If it IS the PSU, no you can't really fix it regardless what the problem is. Replacing it is the only option if whacking it doesn't make it stop.

Fuck. And it's practically new and still in warranty. But it's the work computer, we can't spend a month without it. Gah. I'll have to see if I can make absolutely sure it's the PSU and then I'll see what I do.

If it's working fine, though, it probably isn't going burst into flame or anything. Probably.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Hey guys, a question. We recently moved, and suddenly the PSU from my parents' computer is doing a very annoying "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound constantly, which it didn't before we packed it. What could this be? And is there any hope of actually fixing it?

@Drascin If it IS the PSU, no you can't really fix it regardless what the problem is. Replacing it is the only option if whacking it doesn't make it stop.

Fuck. And it's practically new and still in warranty. But it's the work computer, we can't spend a month without it. Gah. I'll have to see if I can make absolutely sure it's the PSU and then I'll see what I do.

If it's working fine, though, it probably isn't going burst into flame or anything. Probably.

that just sounds like there is either something blocking one of the fans, like a cable that jostled loose during shipping, or just a dead fan. Either one you can fix in like 10mins. But it's probably just something touching a fan blade.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Bubby wrote: »
    Fractal R5 came out. R4 looks cooler IMO but any differences are barely noticeable.

So from what I can tell the "significant" changes are the slide out filter tray in the bottom, and the quick-release side panel?

R4 has a bottom dust filter, too, it's just on the back.

Other features:
    The R5's door can hinge on both sides now.
    The new vent covers don't expose the vent grills.
    Hard drive and 5.25" cages are all modular.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Fractal R5 came out. R4 looks cooler IMO but any differences are barely noticeable.

So from what I can tell the "significant" changes are the slide out filter tray in the bottom, and the quick-release side panel?

Man, for the price of the case I just love that modular 3.5" / 5.25" drive cage array set-up, and the sound dampening. If I were in the market, I'd be looking very carefully at those beasts.

Yeah ability to remove the 5.25" bays is nice, although honestly I'm a little bit surprised it still has 5.25" bays at all. And tool-free SSD mountings on the motherboard tray back is cool.

(And I'm an idiot, the R4 had the removable bottom filter tray too. I own one and forgot about it).

So I guess the major improvements R4->R5 are:

-Quick release side panel instead of thumbscrews
    -Ability to hinge front panel on either side
    -Tool-free SSD mounts
    -5.25" bays removable

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

Is this a prebuilt or something you put together? Either way it may be possible to have them send you a new PSU before you send yours back for RMA or warranty. Just talk to the customer service people.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular
    I think there is better radiator support now too? Looks to me like a silent and water cooler's dream case.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I think I'm more a fan of the BitFenix Ghost.

Ya, looks like the Ghost has some good bang-for-buck too... I'd still lean toward that modularity of the R5, but that's total speculation since I own neither. It's just a good time to be in the market for mid-tower cases I guess!

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    So where are we on the matter of optical drives?

Whatever setup I order for Cyber Monday, I will have an optical drive--it's too convenient, I have too many games still stored on caveman-era discs, and too cheap. You can get a well-received bluray writer for just $70 after rebate.

But is there any point? I have a decent BR collection, and ultimately there is some use to storing things on discs I want to keep but don't need regular access. But aside from that, a cheap DVD writer seems like it'd be adequate, or just a somewhat cheaper BR drive.

@Synthesis, apparently one of NewEgg's pre-Black Friday sales is a $35 LG BD-R

So I guess it is worthwhile. They're pretty inexpensive in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, they do seem pretty similar, I wonder if this means R4s will go down in price as they try to unload? I was set on a Fractal R4 because the build seemed sound, it was aesthetically pleasing, there was room for good cable organization, and I didn't plant to overclock anything, so heat wasn't really an issue.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Yeah sounds like the main differentiator between whether you should buy a Fractal R5 vs. an R4 is whichever one is cheaper when you're placing the order. The R4 is basically a perfect case, though, so it's not like anything they could have done for the R5 would revolutionize the case.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    So a NewEgg 5% discount on mobile purchases was enough to get me to Impulse Buy a STRIX GTX 970.

What have I dooooooooone.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Do you guys do part pick/build requests? The sheer number of parts and options out there is inducing a level of paralyzing option shock.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Do you guys do part pick/build requests? The sheer number of parts and options out there is inducing a level of paralyzing option shock.

Budget, purpose of build, and do you have anything to contribute to the new build such as keyboard, mouse, monitor, operating system? Answer those and someone will have a pcpartpicker.com setup quickly. Oh and what country are you in?

• Options

Budget, purpose of build, and do you have anything to contribute to the new build such as keyboard, mouse, monitor, operating system? Answer those and someone will have a pcpartpicker.com setup quickly. Oh and what country are you in?

Ok cool - didn't want to type up a bunch of stuff if it wasn't kosher

It would be a gaming and photoshop pc with a maximum budget of 900-1000US. I work with photoshop professionally but it wouldn't be my primary computer for that. I don't need a keyboard, mouse, or monitors. I am completely ok with Win8.

I am in the US and have a microcenter and fry's fairly close by (Southern California).

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Good answers! Clarifying question: how many and what resolution are you planning with the monitors?

• Options
    Two monitors, both 1920x1080 I think?

• Options
    If no one else makes a build, I should be able to in a couple hours. It's not as fun on my phone :p

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    From SlickDeals:
    SlickDeals wrote:
    Adorama has 500GB Samsung 840 EVO Series 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive SSD (MZ-7TE500BW) + Far Cry 4 (PC Digital Download Code) (automatically added to cart) on Sale for $229.99 - $30 Rebate = $199.99. Shipping is Free.

Wow. That's a hell of a deal even without the rebate. Anyone ordered through Adorama before?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    newegg has ASUS GTX 970 STrixs again. Just grabbed one (yay!)

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    and i'll get Far Cry 4 for free with it. Yay!

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    From SlickDeals:
    SlickDeals wrote:
    Adorama has 500GB Samsung 840 EVO Series 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive SSD (MZ-7TE500BW) + Far Cry 4 (PC Digital Download Code) (automatically added to cart) on Sale for $229.99 - $30 Rebate = $199.99. Shipping is Free.

Wow. That's a hell of a deal even without the rebate. Anyone ordered through Adorama before?

I've only ordered photo equipment from them, and they've been pretty legit from my experience. Bear in mind, though, that was about four or five years ago.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    From SlickDeals:
    SlickDeals wrote:

I've only ordered photo equipment from them, and they've been pretty legit from my experience. Bear in mind, though, that was about four or five years ago.

My answer is identical to this one.

• Options
    @Wassermelone‌ I blew the budget already! But I'd say this is a good build, I'm not sure if what you do with Photoshop would benefit from an i7 processor. Also, I am not familiar enough with AMD products to know what to reccommend there, but you might be able to get good performance for the price from a change there. That would also change the motherboard too and for gaming I think the recommendation is almost always Intel currently. Probably find some good sales from now until next week too that could make some of these prices and/or choices change quickly. Especially that tempting link @Iolo just put up. Anyways:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/davidsdurions/saved/wHKNnQ
    CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core (Micro Center Override) $179.99
    Motherboard Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 $129.98
    Memory G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $57.99
    Storage Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" SSD (Micro Center Override) $109.99
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM (Newegg Override) $81.99
    Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2. (Newegg Override) $335.66
    Case Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower $99.98
    Power Supply SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V $72.25
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $86.43
    Total: $1154.26

So, perhaps some input from others can bring the price down a bit. I did some overriding of prices to get Micro Center deals in there and also avoid a couple retailers that I haven't been happy with in the past. Also, if you have Amazon Prime, you might get a better deal on a part or two. I suggest making an account with pcpartpicker, saving this or any other build you might like, and setting price notifications. Good luck!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Ok cool - didn't want to type up a bunch of stuff if it wasn't kosher

It would be a gaming and photoshop pc with a maximum budget of 900-1000US. I work with photoshop professionally but it wouldn't be my primary computer for that. I don't need a keyboard, mouse, or monitors. I am completely ok with Win8.

I am in the US and have a microcenter and fry's fairly close by (Southern California).

Uhhh, how far is the balance tilted in favour of gaming vs. Adobe© Photoshop™?

• Options
    @davidsdurions‌
    Thanks! Yeah I don't know if I can budget that high, but that looks like a really good point to pare down from!

@chrishallett83‌
    Probably 75% gaming / 25% photoshop? My wife's computer has the cintiq connected to it so thats the actual photomoshop machine but if shes also working (she is an illustrator as well) then my computer would be nice to be able to be used as a back up art machine as well.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    @davidsdurions‌
    Thanks! Yeah I don't know if I can budget that high, but that looks like a really good point to pare down from!

@chrishallett83‌
    Probably 75% gaming / 25% photoshop? My wife's computer has the cintiq connected to it so thats the actual photomoshop machine but if shes also working (she is an illustrator as well) then my computer would be nice to be able to be used as a back up art machine as well.

This is a rig that should pretty much laugh in the face of anything you might want to do with it. Problem is, there's only like $20 left in your budget for an OS, so you could probably drop the GPU down to a 4GB GTX770 if your budget ceiling is absolute.

EDIT: a link might help. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Wt2Fxr

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    hsu wrote: »
    You don't need liquid cooling for a near silent pc. I'm running a normal air Noctua cpu cooler, Seasonic psu, Define R4 case, ssd main drive, Noctua case fans, and the loudest part of my rig is when my raid data drives spin up, or when my gpu fans spin up due to high end game play. Aka, my spinning hard drives are louder than all my other non-gpu fans combined.

Same here except for Fractal case fans. Noctua is amazing.

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    What're you guys using to control your CPU and other fans' speeds?

Currently have a curve set up for CPU fan (ie. the rad fan and pump for my H60) and my 3 case fans in Gigabyte's proprietary software. But it's definitely pretty sub-par. The software itself is really buggy; when I try to update it, it just downloads some kind of packet, says it installed and needs to restart the PC, but then it just asks to update after a restart. The software also seems to have a SensorDetector.exe that swells up if you run the app, and my CPU usage jumps to 100% on 1/4 cores and my CPU temp goes from 35-40C to 50C and just stays there because the sensor detector process seems to just loop endlessly and hog CPU until I manually close it in Task Manager.

I tried SpeedFan, but it was giving me faulty readings when I first put the PC together last February. The readings it would give me were like 10C lower than what HWMonitor and Precision X give me, so I stopped using it. Maybe if I use SpeedFan just to set fan and pump speeds, and factor the faulty readings into the curves I set up for SpeedFan ...?

• Options
    Yeah sounds like the main differentiator between whether you should buy a Fractal R5 vs. an R4 is whichever one is cheaper when you're placing the order. The R4 is basically a perfect case, though, so it's not like anything they could have done for the R5 would revolutionize the case.

Probably. The R4 is so well recommended in general I felt pretty confident going with it.

I'm not nearly as certain about my motherboard choice--a ASUS Z97-A ATX LGA1150. ASUS seems pretty much the obviously choice in this area, but motherboards remain a mystery to me. There's not much to do besides pair it with a Intel i5 Quad Core and yell really loudly, "Well this seems like a good choice most certainly!"

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I'm not nearly as certain about my motherboard choice--a ASUS Z97-A ATX LGA1150. ASUS seems pretty much the obviously choice in this area, but motherboards remain a mystery to me. There's not much to do besides pair it with a Intel i5 Quad Core and yell really loudly, "Well this seems like a good choice most certainly!"
    Aside from the main system specs, you do want to keep an eye on the design and layout of your mobo. I've had some boards where the SATA inputs were facing perpendicular to the board. In some setups, this is fine. With the case I had, it was a pain because the SATA cables I used were bumping up against the HDD fans. Even with 90-degree SATA cables to keep the cables clear of the HDD fans, it was still a pain to deal with attaching devices. It was something I hadn't even thought about until I went to install everything.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Aside from the main system specs, you do want to keep an eye on the design and layout of your mobo. I've had some boards where the SATA inputs were facing perpendicular to the board. In some setups, this is fine. With the case I had, it was a pain because the SATA cables I used were bumping up against the HDD fans. Even with 90-degree SATA cables to keep the cables clear of the HDD fans, it was still a pain to deal with attaching devices. It was something I hadn't even thought about until I went to install everything.

Definitely. I'm horrible at predicting these sort of things. Fortunately, I decided a while back I'd have a professional look at this on my behalf (it's the reason I'm going with NCIX actually). That leaves me time to fret about quality, performance, etc. I've long since given up on CPU overclocking.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    So my plans of upgrading my CPU have pretty much been nixed. But I think I could still swing an MSI Geforce GTX 750Ti 2GB for CDN$124. Should I do it? How long will something like that last me or am I going to be wishing I could upgrade it in 6 months?

(currently using a Geforce GTS 250 1GB and a Core2Duo 3.4GHz w 4GBs of RAM)

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

For what it's worth, that's the motherboard I have, and it's just fine, bios is okay, overclocking works; taller RAM modules and a cooler master 212 CPU cooler is a pretty tight squeeze, but other than that it works well. It certainly got lots of good reviews from people who are doing actual tests on it, so it seems to be a pretty safe choice.

• Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    Bleh, now new egg does 25$ off orders over 200 after I did 2 300$ orders in the last week...

Anyways, almost done with my new PC:

Antec P280 Black Super Mid Tower Computer Case
    SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SSD
    TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 3TB HDD
    CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W power supply
    MSI Z97 U3 Plus LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    i7 4790K CPU
    Using my old 8 gig ram as I don't feel there is a need to upgrade it right now

Is there a consensus on what the "best" normal price (329-349) 970 is at the moment? I was gonna wait to pick it up but I might as well take advantage of this 25$ off.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    Bleh, now new egg does 25$ off orders over 200 after I did 2 300$ orders in the last week...

Anyways, almost done with my new PC:

Antec P280 Black Super Mid Tower Computer Case
    SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SSD
    TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 3TB HDD
    CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W power supply
    MSI Z97 U3 Plus LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    i7 4790K CPU
    Using my old 8 gig ram as I don't feel there is a need to upgrade it right now

Is there a consensus on what the "best" normal price (329-349) 970 is at the moment? I was gonna wait to pick it up but I might as well take advantage of this 25$ off.

They do? Is that Newegg.com or Newegg.ca?

Also, I've heard very good things about the Asus STRIX Geforce GTX 970

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    I guess it's a black friday thing, says it's till the 30th.

I'll keep an eye out for that Asus STRIX. Sold out at newegg, might try micro center...

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    MSI 4g Gaming is considered tops by most review sites.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    MSI 4g Gaming is considered tops by most review sites.

This is typically due to it having a slightly higher ceiling for overclocking, where as I see most sites giving the STRIX the edge in sound levels. Either one would be awesome to have.

Me, I'm seeing how long my OG Titan can stay at the top of its game. I've currently been having fun bumping the resolutions of my games to something like 2880x1800 via DSR and seeing how close to 60 it can still go. Latest experiment has been getting a consistent 45fps or so in Dragon Age: Inquisition with everything maxed, including the "Fade-Touched" textures.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    So my plans of upgrading my CPU have pretty much been nixed. But I think I could still swing an MSI Geforce GTX 750Ti 2GB for CDN$124. Should I do it? How long will something like that last me or am I going to be wishing I could upgrade it in 6 months?

A GTX750Ti will be a fucking giant leap from a GTS 250.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular

A GTX750Ti will be a fucking giant leap from a GTS 250.

Yeah, while the 750Ti not top tier by any means, going from a GTS 250 is going to be absolute night and day.

This discussion has been closed.