As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Small Fingerprint Like Smudge on LCD TV Screen

AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin KoopantinoRegistered User regular
A few months ago I bought a new TV (VIZIO M551d-A2R). Tonight I noticed a small finger print-like smudge just to the right of mid-screen. Thinking that's all it was, I tried cleaning it but it did not go away. Upon closer inspection, it appears that small group of pixels are actually a bit darker than the rest of the screen, and it gets a bit worse with pressure put on the screen, even from a gentle touch.

I've Googled this issue like crazy but can't find anything relating to a very small smudge like this. Anyone know what this smudge is, and how it might be removed?

It's probably been there for some time, but now that I've seen it, I can't un-see it. Driving me a little bit insane.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Does it line up with a screw on the back panel or mount?

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I reached around behind the TV this morning and felt around the spot behind where the smudge appears, no screw there, nothing pushing on the back side of the set either.

You did give me a hunch that it could be caused by pressure coming from behind the screen. I pulled gently on it with a suction cup and, what do you know the smudge went away. Unfortunately it slowly comes back when I remove the suction cup. It definitely seems to be some kind of pressure on the LCD causing it.

My only other thought is maybe to try and tilt the mount down more so the tv hangs away from the mounting hardware, and in turn gravity might pull the LCD panel away from whatever is pushing on the back side of it, and perhaps that would take the pressure off? Unfortunately this tv is so snug against the wall (they make em so damn thin these days) it may not be possible. Hmmmmmmmm...

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Welp, the smudge was still there when I got home from work today. 2 hours of Bayonetta 2 later and the smudge has disappeared. I am utterly baffled.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    And now today I just turned the TV on and the little dark spot is back. What in the holy hell is wrong with this TV?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    And now today I just turned the TV on and the little dark spot is back. What in the holy hell is wrong with this TV?

Is it a moisture bead or imperfection in the screen that causes it to curve slightly concave? If it goes away after a bit of playtime, I am just guessing, but could it be temp related?

Just for giggles, I'd go get a hairdryer, turn it on and using the lowest barely warm setting use it on that area from a generous distance and see if it will go away after a few minutes.

Edit: It sounds an awful lot like a smudge or moisture drop between the LCD and outer layer of the screen. Did any cleaner or anything get in there at some point?

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    I never attempted cleaning the screen with any liquids so I'm not sure how anything could have gotten in there. You might be on to something with the temperature. I'll give the hair dryer a go when I get a chance.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg