As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DOTA 2] 6.85

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    I'm embarassed to say I've been on the rage train the last couple days.

I have not been playing great. I never think I'm a 6k mmr player trapped in a 3k mmr body. I know I've got a lot of work. I have a pretty good understanding of the overall game of dota though.

We have an enigma, a rubick, a kunkka (me) already. I say I'll go solo offlane since enigma wants jungle. Last two picks are NP and Terrorblade. They both go to offlane. Uh, okay? So I'm in mid but rotate to safelane and our enigma goes to mid. TB insists on fighting. All the time. He's initiating. With no farm. At the end of a 43 minute game he had a S&Y, another yasha and treads. NP built a midas then a BKB followed by a desolator. Enemy team was WD, Weaver, Lion, Tide, Cent. I don't know why the BKB.

Another game, I have a legion on my team who insists on forcing duels that are dumb ideas. He dueled a riki with an enemy timbersaw beside him. Chakra right on top of Legion, no duel win for you. He's blinking in on supports to duel them in the middle of the entire team when none of us are around. "worth it, I am going to snowball". He did not snowball.

That... seems like a really good BKB game? Like literally 4 of their 5 heroes have stuns, and one also has a polymorph.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I don't disagree that the BKB is useful. As a first item I thought it was a bit silly for a Nature's. They were deathballing us pretty well so I think splitpushing (deso first) would have been better.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I don't disagree that the BKB is useful. As a first item I thought it was a bit silly for a Nature's. They were deathballing us pretty well so I think splitpushing (deso first) would have been better.

I mean..it was a dumb pick in the first place when there was already an off lane and farming jungler..where exactly he was planning to go beats me, unless mid Furion is a thing that I don't know about. Probably figured Kunk was mid. So I guess bkb makes sense if he's stuck in a lane, but I agree that deso first should have been the priority. It's not like he's ever going to be team fighting early unless it's sneaking in from behind with teleport to pick off low health stragglers.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Unless he went mithril hammer for deso and then realized he was getting blown up with magic burst and thought there is no way to survive anything without bkb and picked that up instead

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Based on seeing him play, I do not expect that to be the reason.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »
    I will freely admit that the only reason why I'm going to start playing this game is to listen to the Rick and Morty announcer once I buy the pack.

With that out of the way, I've added my name to the list in the OP and I'm ready to be yelled at for being a useless scrub. How does one go about Dota'ing?

New to Dota? Great!

Welcome to DOTA, you suck

You've got thousands of hours of scrubbery ahead.

Friend invite awayyyyyy! I may have like 1000 hours on you but I'm still a rank scrub, so we can play together and you won't be totally stomped by your opponents, like you might if you joined some of the other guys.

Try out as much of the tutorial as you feel like playing. Then play some bot matches, then jump straight in. People will suggest you play the Limited Heroes game mode because all the heroes there are noob friendly, but it's much of a muchness to me. You're going to get hit on the head with the complexity hammer, you may as well start early.

Thank for posting the guide. I'll be giving it a good read. I think I'll start playing this weekend.

Bolding an important part of Musicool's tips. Seriously, "newbie friendly" is a codeword for "boring" (lich, urgh) and you're better off enjoying the fine micromanagement heroes and Invoker and Tinker before you get too scared of playing them in real games. Who knows, you are probably the neext Meepo 3k star and not know it yet!

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »

Hoo boy, I needed a good laugh.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    I will freely admit that the only reason why I'm going to start playing this game is to listen to the Rick and Morty announcer once I buy the pack.

With that out of the way, I've added my name to the list in the OP and I'm ready to be yelled at for being a useless scrub. How does one go about Dota'ing?

New to Dota? Great!

Welcome to DOTA, you suck

You've got thousands of hours of scrubbery ahead.

Friend invite awayyyyyy! I may have like 1000 hours on you but I'm still a rank scrub, so we can play together and you won't be totally stomped by your opponents, like you might if you joined some of the other guys.

Try out as much of the tutorial as you feel like playing. Then play some bot matches, then jump straight in. People will suggest you play the Limited Heroes game mode because all the heroes there are noob friendly, but it's much of a muchness to me. You're going to get hit on the head with the complexity hammer, you may as well start early.

Thank for posting the guide. I'll be giving it a good read. I think I'll start playing this weekend.

Bolding an important part of Musicool's tips. Seriously, "newbie friendly" is a codeword for "boring" (lich, urgh) and you're better off enjoying the fine micromanagement heroes and Invoker and Tinker before you get too scared of playing them in real games. Who knows, you are probably the neext Meepo 3k star and not know it yet!

hey don't diss Lich

he might be simple but there's not much better than landing a great chain frost

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

I mean..it was a dumb pick in the first place when there was already an off lane and farming jungler..where exactly he was planning to go beats me, unless mid Furion is a thing that I don't know about. Probably figured Kunk was mid. So I guess bkb makes sense if he's stuck in a lane, but I agree that deso first should have been the priority. It's not like he's ever going to be team fighting early unless it's sneaking in from behind with teleport to pick off low health stragglers.

Last time I played NP I went mid because we had nobody else that wanted it, ended up owning. Every rune I'd go top, get it, then TP to bot rune and take it as well. Looking at my dotabuff though it wasn't my last game and I think it might be the one from 8 months ago, lol. Think I might play him again soon and try out the Ags refresher build.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    I'm having a lot of fun playing Pudge again, but it is incredible how many players have opinions on your hooks. Like I've never seen anyone bitch about ANY other skillshot as hard as Pudge hooks - one of the hardest in the game. No one has ever complained about my clock hooks. I've never seen anyone moan that Mirana missed an arrow. But everyone is secretly Dendi and knows exactly when and how you should be throwing your meathooks. It's bizarre.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    I'm having a lot of fun playing Pudge again, but it is incredible how many players have opinions on your hooks. Like I've never seen anyone bitch about ANY other skillshot as hard as Pudge hooks - one of the hardest in the game. No one has ever complained about my clock hooks. I've never seen anyone moan that Mirana missed an arrow. But everyone is secretly Dendi and knows exactly when and how you should be throwing your meathooks. It's bizarre.

while not a skill shot , everyone knows when you should ravage and how the perfect ravage you might have just thrown was wrong

camo_sig.png
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »

while not a skill shot , everyone knows when you should ravage and how the perfect ravage you might have just thrown was wrong

Zeus ult, as well. You've never done it at the right time, or you used it for teamfighting and have it on CD when someone is getting away on 1 HP, and that's totes your problem.

In other news, I had a Razor on my team last night with a Battle Fury and not much else.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    edited October 2015
    Oh wow. I totally forgot about those ones.

In other news, I've finally cracked 1000 matches. Here's to still sucking at DOTA, but joyfully! WOOOOOO!

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Aghs-refresher-octarine Nature's prophet is hilariously frustrating.

PSN: Canadian_llama
    Disco11 wrote: »

i think bulldog actually did that in a game vs. Nip

camo_sig.png
    Oh wow. I totally forgot about those ones.

In other news, I've finally cracked 1000 matches. Here's to still sucking at DOTA, but joyfully! WOOOOOO!

I've barely scratched past 500. I think this highlights how much time I get to play this game, and why I'm so irritated when I have a shitty one with abandons at 35:00.

• 411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    For those interested, Ember Spirit continues to be a high priority pick at Nanyang Championships, despite only winning 6 of 18 games. Even the games that I've seen it win haven't been because of any dominating Ember Spirit play. It just seems like it's getting picked for split push ability and evade, but it's just such a fragile hero that it falls apart in any teamfight, and a lot of the pro teams seem to be leaning towards five-manning early.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
    Saw this on Dota 2 Reddit. This is for those who remember the "6 Million Dollar Echoslam" during TI5:

http://imgur.com/QMOilzg

It's a very cool bit of artwork describing that moment.

mts wrote: »

i think bulldog actually did that in a game vs. Nip

I think he ended up getting BoT's. He's like a mega-rat...

411Randle wrote: »
    For those interested, Ember Spirit continues to be a high priority pick at Nanyang Championships, despite only winning 6 of 18 games. Even the games that I've seen it win haven't been because of any dominating Ember Spirit play. It just seems like it's getting picked for split push ability and evade, but it's just such a fragile hero that it falls apart in any teamfight, and a lot of the pro teams seem to be leaning towards five-manning early.

I just cannot understand why he keeps getting picked. He can put out some decent early magic damage I guess, but so can gyro. Even with a full compliment of damage items he struggles to collect kills.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    He's impossible to gank unless you can chain stun/silence him. Global mobility with spirits + Bots allows him to split push at all times, allowing him to spend almost as much time farming as NP. Because SoF makes him a pseudo ranged hero, he can go glass cannon with crit + Rapiers in the late game to make up for his otherwise mediocre scaling. He can also opt to play a more involved game if he skips Bots, in which case Bolas and fire shield are decent mid game mechanisms.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    Yilias wrote: »
    He's impossible to gank unless you can chain stun/silence him. Global mobility with spirits + Bots allows him to split push at all times, allowing him to spend almost as much time farming as NP. Because SoF makes him a pseudo ranged hero, he can go glass cannon with crit + Rapiers in the late game to make up for his otherwise mediocre scaling. He can also opt to play a more involved game if he skips Bots, in which case Bolas and fire shield are decent mid game mechanisms.

But he lane's like crap.... And his win rate in the pro's hardly backs that up.

edited October 2015
    And his win rate in the pro's hardly backs that up.

Mostly he just farms all game and does mediocre damage. I feel like pro teams are weighing his elusiveness far too high in the drafting meta. He can split push all day and still take twice as long to come online as someone like furion.

Dark_Side on
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    He doesn't lane that badly I feel.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Nah, his laning is garbage. His strong points are levels 6-11 and then 70m+ Rapier stacking.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    He is melee and all his abilities push the lane. He's not the absolute worst or anything but it's far from good.

He is melee and all his abilities push the lane. He's not the absolute worst or anything but it's far from good.

He's got a pretty solid animation at least.

He's got a pretty solid animation at least.

That's true. But I last hit like a pro with Razor so take my opinion on attack animations with a grain of salt.

edited October 2015
    So, good news and bad. Just played a Tiny game and he is seriously fun. Dat combo.

On the other hand, one of the players on my team brought in a coach, who then spammed our chat channel all game. I couldn't select the coach to mute him, as far as I could tell. Just had to report the coach and his mate via steam. But I don't have high hopes it'll achieve anything.

Also, I've noticed that in DOTA the guy who thinks he's so funny in the early game (read chatty, 'zzzzzany', and loud) is ALWAYS the guy who gets offensive and whiney when the match goes bad. He's never the joker who keeps spirits high when all looks lost; he's the d'bag who thinks his assholishness is funny. I haven't even noticed an exception since I noticed the pattern.

Also-also, guys I really wouldn't be surprised if DOTA weighted the odds against you of opening sets for the heroes you play a lot of. Like, I have received something like 8 silvers, and not a single damn Rubick cape among them. And similar wonky odds seem to happen when I mass buy treasures just to get the cool one or two I actually want: they always come last or second last.

Just now I even opened up what should have been my third bronze, so I could craft it and hope for some crazy luck to get my cape. While the heroes were spinning I thought "wouldn't it be really screwy if it gave me a silver that WASN'T the cape?"

I rolled the LC ray sword. FML

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    Counterpoint to the Ember discussion: Team Secret and Envy.

Steam ID : BigKev87
    I had an enigma lose his mind that i did not rush aghs as first item on wind and went maelstrom first... So much so that he deceided to stay in base and bitch for so long he got an abandon and I apparently got reported by his 4 stack.

I miss solo queu so much!

edited October 2015
    So uh...

Lately, about every third ranked game I play the enemy team is bots. This is new. In other news, I got my SF done for the All Hero Challenge, and these two developments are IN NO WAY RELATED THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    So uh...

About every third ranked game I play the enemy team is bots. This is new.

You still getting MMR gain/loses from them?

I had an enigma lose his mind that i did not rush aghs as first item on wind and went maelstrom first... So much so that he deceided to stay in base and bitch for so long he got an abandon and I apparently got reported by his 4 stack.

I get that a lot whenever I play her. I mean yeah it's a great fucking item and probably core, but when I'm playing a position 4 WR I tend to not prioritize it since I'm more interested in CC and helping the cores.

So uh...

About every third ranked game I play the enemy team is bots. This is new.

You still getting MMR gain/loses from them?

Yep, but the numbers for wins are reduced - like +9 or +14 MMR. SO I'm guessing they're all terrible MMR because they had to grind a lot fo shitty games in unranked to get into the ranked pool.

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png

I get that a lot whenever I play her. I mean yeah it's a great fucking item and probably core, but when I'm playing a position 4 WR I tend to not prioritize it since I'm more interested in CC and helping the cores.

I get aghs for the ability to have procs with my ult or have a UAM... Without either it's not worth IMO but I don't play much wind.

edited October 2015

I'm not defending this Enigma jerk, and I'm sure you had good reasons...

BUT

Oh my god it is INSANE how many Windrangers I've played with that don't understand that The Build has changed to Agh's Deadalus. Plenty of them are good Windrangers but I've definitely lost games because of the old Maelstrom build just not cutting it. Probably the most frustrating thing at my MMR is that builds are like, a year behind. For instance it's incredibly rare to see a PL who doesn't buy Radiance, like they're following a guide from before he was reworked. And holy god do Bounty Hunters love their desos. But my current pet peeve is Alchemist players. It's like someone told them "hey Alch is good again!" and then some ninja slit their throat before they could pass on what the new build is.

If I had my way, any hero guide that hasn't been updated in two years should be immediately deleted from the list. It might still be good, but if that's the case the new guides will cover that build too.

So yeah, dickhead Enigma, but WR is just one of those heroes rife with The Old Build and it can get frustrating knowing you're losing games because of it. Which probably wasn't the case in your game, I'm just speaking generally.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

I get aghs for the ability to have procs with my ult or have a UAM... Without either it's not worth IMO but I don't play much wind.

the ult will proc effects the same without aghs.

aghs just lowers the cooldown to 15s and the dmg reduction to 0% at lv.3.

It's a good aghs upgrade, but not game-ending if you decide to skip it for another item.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    Aghs is SO good. With lvl 11 ult you can blow up almost anyone if you land a shackle. It really irks me to see right click WR's skip the Aghs, no one gives a shit if you have a desolator.

This discussion has been closed.