As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DOTA 2] 6.85

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I went aquila/phase/malestrom/aghs. I was offlane and got phased out and got maelstrom primarily to farm up said aghs. My original plan was to go blink but Enigma and his buddy ogre gave up 6 kills to a riki before the 10min mark and plans changed.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I just wish the "standard build" guides were updated to reflect the current meta. Not one of them recommends mangos. Mangos are amazeballs.

I'd also like to see more early build recommendations that use these 1-3 Iron Branches I'm supposed to walk out of base with. And for the Power Treads quick buy to recognize that a mantle of intelligence (in my inventory) can be a component for building Treads. I was not aware of this until last week.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    When do people pick up mangos? I've been trying to work them into a few builds but it never feels right.

I pick one up on WK to be able to use my ult if need be. Sometimes on Tusk if I plan on being more of a ganker.

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I just wish the "standard build" guides were updated to reflect the current meta. Not one of them recommends mangos. Mangos are amazeballs.

I'd also like to see more early build recommendations that use these 1-3 Iron Branches I'm supposed to walk out of base with. And for the Power Treads quick buy to recognize that a mantle of intelligence (in my inventory) can be a component for building Treads. I was not aware of this until last week.

Wait what.

I...WHAT

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    It's so cute when people realize you don't have to get the belt of strength to build treads. You have options!

Musicool wrote: »

Wait WHAT

You can get a mantle, belt or band of elvenkin.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Power treads have 3 options for building, but the quick buy only ever shows the belt version:

brown boots + gloves of haste + belt of strength
    brown boots + gloves of haste + band of elvenskin
    brown boots + gloves of haste + robe of magi

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    edited October 2015
    Sceptre wrote: »
    It's so cute when people realize you don't have to get the belt of strength to build treads. You have options!

This changes fucking everything man.

I'm legit angry that this isn't explained ANYWHERE logical and accessible.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    It pops up as a tip.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    When do people pick up mangos? I've been trying to work them into a few builds but it never feels right.

It's great on Omniknight, and a couple of other supports that have a mana heavy fight changing spell.

I also grab two on Axe instead of regen because of his natural regen+stout shield gives him great lane presence, and then you have something for that clutch Call.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    5 mangoes and a stout shield, any hero, just run at em.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

Wait WHAT

You're thinking of the Robe of Magi which is +6 int

The Mantle of Intelligence is +3 int, and turns into a Null Talisman, and that either turns into a dagon or veil.

But each of the three +6 stat items can be used for building Power Treads.

Move to New Zealand
    Foomy wrote: »
    5 mangoes and a stout shield, any hero, just run at em.

Okay, this is my new Axe build

Move to New Zealand

This changes fucking everything man. Now I understand why a suggested Puck starting build includes a mantle of intelligence that just seemed to disappear into a black hole of inefficiency afterwards. I've been wasting so much gold and/or last hitting power because I thought it was ironwood branches or a null tali and nothing in between.

I'm legit angry that this isn't explained ANYWHERE logical and accessible.

Yeah, it occurred to me that there were a lot of Int-based Heroes that start with a mantle, don't have any items that use it, and then I just have this fucking mantle in my inventory that I sell off when I need a slot. When, all along, that damn thing should have been gobbled up during a Treads construction.

As Sceptre says, it does show up as a tip when you hover over the Power Treads, but that's it. I blame the Quick Buy for not recognizing if you have a Mantle or Elvenskin in your inventory. Which I recognize is a tad more advanced script to run the Quick Buy through, but I feel it's worth it.

Depends on the Hero. Some heroes I buy 1, some I buy 2. There are a lot of Heroes that I'll go through the entire lane phase without getting hit, regularly, and it's just smarter to have the regen and instant-mana instead.
    Mortious wrote: »

It's great on Omniknight, and a couple of other supports that have a mana heavy fight changing spell.

I also grab two on Axe instead of regen because of his natural regen+stout shield gives him great lane presence, and then you have something for that clutch Call.

Rubick and Disruptor. I feed those guys Mangos all damn day. Sometimes I'll have used 3-4 in a single game.

Wait WHAT

The Mantle of Intelligence is +3 int, and turns into a Null Talisman, and that either turns into a dagon or veil.

Yes! Typo on my end.

Wait WHAT

Yes! Typo on my end.

Nope, error on my end. I started the whole conversation with "Mantle" and have managed to put us on this horrible road of inaccuracy. I also just kept doing it.

6.85b: Scepter Doom no longer increases damage
    6.85b: Scorched Earth damage and heal reduced from 12/24/36/48 to 12/23/34/45
    6.85b: Scorched Earth cooldown rescaled from 60/55/50/45 to 55
    6.85b: Spiderlings Poison Sting slow reduced from 12% to 8%
    6.85b: The main client will be updated with the 6.85b changes after the conclusion of the Nanyang tournament

Those are pretty minor changes.

I'm way more excited by the Haunted Colosseum custom game. That plus the changes that might mean playing more than just the same old custom games.

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    I have yet to play a custom game. I play Dota for the challenge... If I want to capture points i will go play BF4.

I'm way more excited by the Haunted Colosseum custom game. That plus the changes that might mean playing more than just the same old custom games.

800 announcer additions for custom games sounds like they're trying to expand the toolkit, and I'm pretty stoked about that.
    I have yet to play a custom game. I play Dota for the challenge... If I want to capture points i will go play BF4.

I enjoy the custom games because for the most part, they're quick. Which is important when you're short on play time, or are waiting for Musicool to finish his fucking game so that you can party up, etc.

Also, for me, playing Overthrow 5v5v5 with Venomancer is a lot like playing BS after a long losing streak.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    also, didn't see this mentioned here, but apparently pre-ordering Fallout 4 on Steam gets you a Mr. Handy announcer pack.

In case you need more British people drolling at you for hours on end.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited October 2015

I use it on heroes that already have good HP regen, but who sometimes need just one more spell to secure a kill in lane. The +1 regen is good but it's only really useful on heroes who can already just stand around and heal pretty decently - otherwise you may as well have bought a salve and a clarity for just that little bit extra gold. So you've got an item that screams "you want good regen already" and "you might also want one more spell, right in the middle of doing something dangerous".

For example, my favourite Timbersaw build right now is Stout Shield, Tangos, 2 Mangoes (the Tamango build, ahehehe). And then I either favor Timberchain or RA with a couple of early levels as my survivability skill, depending on whether the opposing lane is harass heavy or has kill power. It's a beautiful feeling running at your enemies like a madman because with your double mangoes and RA stacks you have crazy armour and a base regen rate comparable to an active tango. And if your harass went well and you're suddenly diving and need one more timberchain but you're OOM? Omnomnom, first blood.

Even if you don't use them to secure a kill, they let you play a little but looser with your mana to steal some extra last hits, knowing that you have a timberchain at any time you want.

Heroes like nu-Night Stalker, Ogre Magi and Nyx are my other faves.

800 announcer additions for custom games sounds like they're trying to expand the toolkit, and I'm pretty stoked about that.

I enjoy the custom games because for the most part, they're quick. Which is important when you're short on play time, or are waiting for Musicool to finish his fucking game so that you can party up, etc.

Also, for me, playing Overthrow 5v5v5 with Venomancer is a lot like playing BS after a long losing streak.

You're cutting me deep Thawmus. Cutting me real deep.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I toy with a mango in lieu of tangos on necro from time to time. basically they give you great lane presence and and options for baiting low health heroes into ult range when you're low on mana. It's risky though. If you're getting harassed and/or can't reliably last hit to get sadist procs, you'll be wishing you had tangos.

• JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    I'd never buy robe of the magi to start with on any support, there's so little benefit from it compared to more regen. If you want a mantle or two, ok go ahead but that's only 300, 450 is way too much. You could buy boots of speed for the same price and have way more benefit.

Is there any good reason to build RoAquilla on non agi heroes? Like Windrunners building it, it's so bad. Why do you want to spend so much money for +3 str, +3 int, 1 armor and 3 dmg? Do people just want to upgrade their basis into super item?? It's not cost efficient. It's slot efficient but you wouldn't want to buy 2 wraith bands. 2 null is at least some decent +dmg.

If I end up playing a utility role sometimes I turn it into a Vlad's. It's nice when no one else is thinking about picking it up.

edited October 2015
    So guys. I've developed a technique that I HOPE will help me be more zen about MMR losses. You know, the ones where you play your heart out but you just can't drag you idiot team to victory?

Well now I'm trying to mentally note those games, and then wait. Wait until the next Ranked game where my team seems to be winning despite how badly I'm sucking. And then I take a deep breath, smile, and tell myself I've karmically earned this ez win. It's been quite a relaxing way to approach Ranked games lately.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png

If it makes you feel any better, my hard drive is shot, and I'm going out of town for the next few days, so it'll probably be a while before you see me on again.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I always try to thank my team when I play like shit and still win anyways.

Especially if they weren't dicks about it. We all have bad games.

Rod of Atos is legit on Tusk.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Absolutely choked with laughter through this entire video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atpsNHftfTI

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Absolutely choked with laughter through this entire video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atpsNHftfTI

oh my god

my sides

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I didn't enjoy that at all. Different strokes!

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Well, my first game was a total loss. I played Doom because he looks cool. There was a dude playing Sniper who beat the everloving shit out of us. I think the game only took 25 minutes.

I enjoyed it, though. I'll have to get in with some of you guys to get pointers so that I know what to buy and when.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    edited November 2015

If it makes you feel any better, my hard drive is shot, and I'm going out of town for the next few days, so it'll probably be a while before you see me on again.
    Well, my first game was a total loss. I played Doom because he looks cool. There was a dude playing Sniper who beat the everloving shit out of us. I think the game only took 25 minutes.

I enjoyed it, though. I'll have to get in with some of you guys to get pointers so that I know what to buy and when.

Yeeeeeeah, Sniper is one of the pub tier champs. He sits 6 miles behind the front lines popping away with his nigh invisible, almost-completely silent attack animation, and if no one does anything about that little shit then you all die. If you see a Sniper then you need a gap-closer of some kind on your team.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    edited November 2015
    hmm, low tier pub stompy heroes, that are also easy to play.

Riki. Invis is super overpowered if no one buys sentries/dust

Slark maybe. A bit more complex than Riki, but I find him more fun because of his mobility and staying power.

Axe. Didn't really play this hero until a lot later in my dota career, so not sure how complex his is to play at the start, but he doesn't seem to hard.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    edited November 2015

Slark maybe. A bit more complex than Riki, but I find him more fun because of his mobility and staying power.

Axe. Didn't really play this hero until a lot later in my dota career, so not sure how complex his is to play at the start, but he doesn't seem to hard.

Ursa is another big one. He's at least in the top 3 or 4 of heroes I have on a mental list marked "heroes who could ruin a game at my bracket if we feed early". So basically pubstomp heroes.

I'm also seeing a little bit more Tiny. He might be slightly harder to play, but not by much IMO.

Oh, and Juggernaut is also a common one. Press R to kill? How can I lose?!

Also, and definitely not on the pubstomp list, but I just have to say it: Tinker is so much fun when he gets items online. Comboing down a 6-slotted carry is the best. Where's your right click now?!

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    edited November 2015

Ursa is another big one. He's at least in the top 3 or 4 of heroes I have on a mental list marked "heroes who could ruin a game at my bracket if we feed early". So basically pubstomp heroes.

I'm also seeing a little bit more Tiny. He might be slightly harder to play, but not by much IMO.

Oh, and Juggernaut is also a common one. Press R to kill? How can I lose?!

Also, and definitely not on the pubstomp list, but I just have to say it: Tinker is a hero that people at my MMR bracket don't really GET - not until it's too late. Comboing down a 6-slotted carry is the best. Where's your right click now?!

Usra's pretty good, and easy to play.

Tiny's probably a bit hard mechanically, and early game he has mana issues. I feel you kind of have to get his combo down to make him effective.

Jugg for some reason I was terrible with when I started. You kind of need to know when to use his specific abilities to get anything out of him. (but then I am bad at this game)

Though that does remind me of Phantom Assassin. She has an easy skill set, seems like a good beginner hero?

edit: Drow and Viper. How could I forget those two? They were my bane when I started playing.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
This discussion has been closed.