As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DOTA 2] 6.85

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I decided to start using Sniper because I prefer the direct damage to futzing about debuffing and such. I quite like him.

Is it worth paying a bit of money into that Fall Compendium thingy?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I would say not at your level of involvement in the game. It gets you fancy hats (cosmetic items) for the game. There will be more compendiums if you really get into the game and decide to drop money on it.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    I didn't enjoy that at all. Different strokes!

Yeah, I was among the 2k dislikes. I kinda watch these guys to actually, like, hear them talk.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Musicool wrote: »
    hmm, low tier pub stompy heroes, that are also easy to play.

Riki. Invis is super overpowered if no one buys sentries/dust

Slark maybe. A bit more complex than Riki, but I find him more fun because of his mobility and staying power.

Axe. Didn't really play this hero until a lot later in my dota career, so not sure how complex his is to play at the start, but he doesn't seem to hard.

Ursa is another big one. He's at least in the top 3 or 4 of heroes I have on a mental list marked "heroes who could ruin a game at my bracket if we feed early". So basically pubstomp heroes.

I'm also seeing a little bit more Tiny. He might be slightly harder to play, but not by much IMO.

Oh, and Juggernaut is also a common one. Press R to kill? How can I lose?!

Also, and definitely not on the pubstomp list, but I just have to say it: Tinker is a hero that people at my MMR bracket don't really GET - not until it's too late. Comboing down a 6-slotted carry is the best. Where's your right click now?!

Usra's pretty good, and easy to play.

Tiny's probably a bit hard mechanically, and early game he has mana issues. I feel you kind of have to get his combo down to make him effective.

Jugg for some reason I was terrible with when I started. You kind of need to know when to use his specific abilities to get anything out of him. (but then I am bad at this game)

Though that does remind me of Phantom Assassin. She has an easy skill set, seems like a good beginner hero?

edit: Drow and Viper. How could I forget those two? They were my bane when I started playing.

You know, when I first played this game I just assumed that Drow had a natural invis skill because every single damn Drow I met would pop in and out of invis. And then I finally learned to check inventories and it all made sense.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty much done with Dota after tonight.

Not sure what's happening, but the people have been fucking toxic over the last few weeks.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

I guess it depends if you like SirActionSlacks maybe? I l love most stuff he's involved with.

I'm pretty much done with Dota after tonight.

Not sure what's happening, but the people have been fucking toxic over the last few weeks.

I will never understand the level of flame in this game. The worst part is, it's almost always your own teammates.

Understanding aside, I've had a lot of success enjoying this game again just going unranked with the heroes that I really enjoy. Like Pudge! And Tinker! And if anyone says even one thing nasty to me, auto-mute. Get back to that state we're you're playing your favourite heroes and having fun.

If that doesn't work, I don't blame you for giving up on DOTA. It's an exhausting and demanding game and I'm not 100% sure that it's worth the stress.

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Just do what my brother does. Mute everyone as soon as they even start. Don't put up with that shit. Teammate, enemy, he is indiscriminate with that mute button.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Slark and Riki stomp pubs at all levels.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I guess it depends if you like SirActionSlacks maybe? I l love most stuff he's involved with.

I like his stuff, generally.

edited November 2015
    Guys, I found a neat way to play Ranked so you don't go on tilt. Got it from Reddit: per day of DOTA you play Ranked for 3 wins or 1 loss, whichever comes first. So you avoid going on tilt. WHich is good because after the epic throws of my last game I am thoroughly on tilt.

So that's my last Ranked game for the night. Need to calm down.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I used the same strategy for Starcraft ladder. Except there I would stop after two losses.

• SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I found it way harder to stop after losses in Starcraft. It was so easy to just F10-N (surrender the match) as soon as it was clear you'd lost, letting you quickly move on to the next game.

In DOTA if I tilt or start to get angry at my team mates it's usually somewhere in the middle of a match. Since you are trapped until the match has played out, it gives me some time to sometimes cool off and decide "Hey, games aren't going our way today, let's take a break".

In starcraft you could easily lose the game in a frustrating way, quit out immediately and then be queued into a new game almost instantaneously. A lot more potential for you to carry the negative emotions of the last game into the new one.

Sceptre on
    There is no better feeling than punishing people that are overaggressive.

Boots first Undying, spam Decay, skip all CS and just try to right click me? Tower dive at level 3 with dust? Get fucked. Tp back up and try to do it again 30 seconds later? Get fucked. Oh look now its 5 minutes in, you're lower level than the supports and have the lowest net worth while I'm leading in both xp and net worth. Get fucked.

edited November 2015
    I just did the weirdest build as Slark. Like super weird.

So we had one of those 5 carry lineups. We were losing and it was clear no one wanted to support, so I thought "how could I make Slark a support?"

This led to further questions: "well what does Slark do that's supportish?"

1) He has a low cd lockdown nuke
    2) He has a low cd aoe nuke
    3) His attacks sap stats

Ok. So I want to make a support Slark that jumps in, locks someone down for my carries, nukes them a bit, maybe hits them once or twice, then gtfo's. So what do I need?

1) More escapes. Since I'm using blink-pounce to initiate (I already had blink) I need more forms of escape. Slark's ulti is only an option every minute, and that's not enough for your average teamfight.
    2) Survivability. Dark Pact hurts me, and I have bad stats, and until I can escape I need to tank some damage.
    3) Attack speed, for more stat sapping where possible.
    4) Preferably utility because support.

So what item gives me attack speed, survivability, an escape, and utility? Glimmer Cape! It even gives me magic resistance against Dark Pact! I was going to go Shiva's next, thinking that extra armour and lowering attack speed adds to my suvivability, plus the active adds another nuke for when I dive in, plus I now had mana pool issues, but...well, we lost.

I'm not saying the build worked, but it felt cool thinking so far outside the box. I used to do crazy builds like this in shooters where I felt comfortable and skilled enough to make silly builds work. It's just, in DOTA I've never felt good enough to do that, so I sort of followed the standard builds. It's nice to go back to the mad exerimentation I used to do.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Had a fun Ursa match last night.

Was having a rough lane at first against viper/PA/and then SB but then our Dazzle rotated down and helped out and things got fun. had a fast Vlads and could just dive people all day.

normally I build blink on ursa but went silver edge since the other team had a lot of passives to deal with, then grabbed a battle fury to deal with PL illusions , then grabbed an easy radiance since pretty much everyone was a right clicker on their team

ended up 15-2-12

man i love ursa.

camo_sig.png
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    It feels like things are coming together for me with the Sniper. I played two games last night and won both. The second was was tough because one of the guys was playing Tusk. He would do that icewall attack and trap me against it. I even had to mute my first player, who sounded like a 9 year-old kid and was complaining about playing with noobs.

I'm really enjoying this.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    That's the dota spirit!

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Just remember, you are matched with players of nearly your skill level. They suck on the whole just as much as you do.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Replaced hard drive last night, I'm up and running again.

Played a game of Random Draft last night, we didn't have a mid when we got down to our final pick. Last guy was asked if he could pick a mid, and he said, "yeah". He was clearly going to pick Batrider, and so was asked again if he could pick a mid Hero, and he was like, "I am".

My team was harder on him than I think was necessary. He had some bad Ult's, but he had some good ones too, but ultimately we just didn't communicate at all, and we got no help during the laning phase. Sven kept running headlong into fights we were trying to retreat from, Batrider would drag people out of my AA Ult before it landed.

It's just weird how you lose so much after just a few days of being away. Like, I felt out of place, didn't feel comfortable with what I was doing, didn't feel comfortable on mic, etc.

It reminded me that I should play AA more, though.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    edited November 2015
    I made a mistake. You know that local chat thing? Someone was loking for a 5th on a 4 stack to play some captains draft. Cool. I say yes, join and then tell them I need to look at some work emails waiting for the queue.

Once we are in game and I tell them about 10 heroes I am good with and go back to my emails but realize he picked captains mode.

I end up as a position 5 disruptor (of course) and finally look at my team members names... Such charming names as "white power forever", "i hate nig**rs" and of course" Captain Big Bluntzzz"

The game went as expected. The only communication i had all game was -need wards- while wards were never off cooldown and my DS and undying trying to farm up late game items early.

Disco11 on
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Well at least it didn't go the way that most of those "team looking for standin" stories go.

in that they get you to connect to a teamspeak server that pops up a fake message about needing an update, only that update is really a virus that hijacks your steam account.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular

So we had one of those 5 carry lineups. We were losing and it was clear no one wanted to support, so I thought "how could I make Slark a support?"

3) His attacks sap stats

Ok. So I want to make a support Slark that jumps in, locks someone down for my carries, nukes them a bit, maybe hits them once or twice, then gtfo's. So what do I need?

1) More escapes. Since I'm using blink-pounce to initiate (I already had blink) I need more forms of escape. Slark's ulti is only an option every minute, and that's not enough for your average teamfight.
    2) Survivability. Dark Pact hurts me, and I have bad stats, and until I can escape I need to tank some damage.

So what item gives me attack speed, survivability, an escape, and utility? Glimmer Cape! It even gives me magic resistance against Dark Pact! I was going to go Shiva's next, thinking that extra armour and lowering attack speed adds to my suvivability, plus the active adds another nuke for when I dive in, plus I now had mana pool issues, but...well, we lost.

I'm not saying the build worked, but it felt cool thinking so far outside the box. I used to do crazy builds like this in shooters where I felt comfortable and skilled enough to make silly builds work. It's just, in DOTA I've never felt good enough to do that, so I sort of followed the standard builds. It's nice to go back to the mad exerimentation I used to do.

This is the thing I have the hardest time imparting to my gaming group, who are almost all within the 1.5k to 2.5k MMR range.

Item builds in dota shouldn't be static. You get items to fill a need that you currently have. Super good if you can predict items you might need before you need them so you can hit a timing attack like in Starcraft. Some examples:

"The enemy Luna just built a Butterfly. Guess I need to go MKB"
    "I'm getting stunned a lot or taking too much magic damage. I need a BKB"
    "I can't run away from this carry in teamfights because I'm Crystal Fucking Maiden. I need a Force Staff, a Ghost Scepter, or a Eul's."
    "I'm getting kited by the enemy team and I'm Wraith King. I need a Blink Dagger."

This is also how hero picks work. First 3 picks on the enemy team in ranked are Wraith King, Slark, and Clinkz. Your team needs a support. Who do you pick?

Well, you need someone who can survive fights with a Slark or Clinkz popping out of invis on you. You need some way to drain mana for Wraith King to hopefully cancel his ultimate. Bonus points if you have some way to lock down Slark while he's inside his ultimate. Clinkz is kind of squishy, so maybe some burst damage.

That was a ranked game last night that I played. I picked Lion and wrecked the enemy team.

I almost don't like the hero builds being in the game, because new players pick them up and think "Oh! This is what I build every game on this hero! Great!" The reality is much different, and almost everything is situationally good.

Steam: Spawnbroker

3) His attacks sap stats

This is the thing I have the hardest time imparting to my gaming group, who are almost all within the 1.5k to 2.5k MMR range.

Item builds in dota shouldn't be static. You get items to fill a need that you currently have. Super good if you can predict items you might need before you need them so you can hit a timing attack like in Starcraft. Some examples:

"I can't run away from this carry in teamfights because I'm Crystal Fucking Maiden. I need a Force Staff, a Ghost Scepter, or a Eul's."
    "I'm getting kited by the enemy team and I'm Wraith King. I need a Blink Dagger."

This is also how hero picks work. First 3 picks on the enemy team in ranked are Wraith King, Slark, and Clinkz. Your team needs a support. Who do you pick?

Well, you need someone who can survive fights with a Slark or Clinkz popping out of invis on you. You need some way to drain mana for Wraith King to hopefully cancel his ultimate. Bonus points if you have some way to lock down Slark while he's inside his ultimate. Clinkz is kind of squishy, so maybe some burst damage.

That was a ranked game last night that I played. I picked Lion and wrecked the enemy team.

I almost don't like the hero builds being in the game, because new players pick them up and think "Oh! This is what I build every game on this hero! Great!" The reality is much different, and almost everything is situationally good.

That's probably the #1 thing that stops people from getting better is slavish devotion to build guides. Just simple things like "oh, they have PA on their team and I am weaver. Maybe I will go mkb instead of deadelus"

Disco11 wrote: »

3) His attacks sap stats

That's probably the #1 thing that stops people from getting better is slavish devotion to build guides. Just simple things like "oh, they have PA on their team and I am weaver. Maybe I will go mkb instead of deadelus"

MKB vs. PA seems like the easiest no-brainer item build in the world to me, and it is just goddamn painful to see nobody build it.

Of course, whenever I play a PA, the other team has 5 of the goddamn things.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    MKB vs. PA seems like the easiest no-brainer item build in the world to me, and it is just goddamn painful to see nobody build it.

I get so pissed about this. The hero is literally balanced around the idea that the enemy team will counter with an mkb. (and magic burst of course) And yet I see so many games where my team is up against one and not a single one of the cores is rushing it.

MKB is a great pick if you have little stuns on your team just for the ability to stop TP's.

Learning who/when to TP away is such an underrated skill.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I don't know why they took the hex > evasion mechanic out.

Well, I know why, but I disagree with it. It gave more options to counter the late game butterfly, and didn't force your carry to go mkb.

Does Silver Edge break item passives?

• JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

Well, I know why, but I disagree with it. It gave more options to counter the late game butterfly, and didn't force your carry to go mkb.

No.

It does remove Tiny's Aghs because his entire ult is a passive including the upgrade.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Jakorian wrote: »

No.

Then I'm envisioning some item which does -- like a half-hex. No disable to skills, or movement or attack, but breaks items. Or maybe passives. Probably ranged, like atos.

VishNub on

No.

Then I'm envisioning some item which does -- like a half-hex. No disable to skills, or movement or attack, but breaks items. Or maybe passives. Probably ranged, like atos.

Shoot, is that the upgrade for atos we were trying to brainstorm earlier? slow+item mute?

edited November 2015

No.

Why not add it to Atos? (No really, I'm asking.)

By the way, if you guys want to see proof that low MMR players don't buy the right items: here it is.

PA's win rate steadily declines as MMR increases because, hey, MKB. Same as Windranger. More surprisingly, Brewmaster has his highest - and only positive - win rate at my MMR: his win rate otherwise holds firm above 2000, which seems to imply that just knowing what Brewmaster does and that he doesn't against BKB* has about a 2% effect on win rate. I mean I know I waxed lyrical about how he punishes the allergy to BKB at this MMR, but I didn't think that effect was so powerful.

*This is surprisingly rare knowledge. I didn't know wtf Brew did until I bothered to learn him, and just recently I saved a near-death Invo in the mid lane as WD just knowing what the hell his opponent was doing with the ulti - my Invo had no clue really. IMO, any hero that does powerful and weird things in teamfights (relative to their ease of use) has a higher win rate at low MMR. Check Phoenix and Elder Titan for examples.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    edited November 2015
    Agh's Nyx is the silliest fun. What other hero teamfights by hiding in the ground.

Also, I think I way prefer Random Draft. It seems to have likeminded people who want variety and don't just spam their comfort heroes. I decided to go RD after losing hard to an Alch player whose previous games were 40% Alch, 40% Storm Spirit, 20% Zeus. I just don't play Unranked to get smashed by people running their main heroes while I'm trying something new. So Random Draft it is.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    Agh's Nyx is the silliest fun. What other hero teamfights by hiding in the ground.

Also, I think I way prefer Random Draft. It seems to have likeminded people who want variety and don't just spam their comfort heroes. I decided to go RD after losing hard to an Alch player whose previous games were 40% Alch, 40% Storm Spirit, 20% Zeus. I just don't play Unranked to get smashed by people running their main heroes while I'm trying something new. So Random Draft it is.

Random Draft is pretty great. As you know, I like to play both Single and Random Draft, but the Drafting stage in Random Draft is pretty fun. I wish they'd give like 5 more seconds to the first pick, though.

• 411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Okay, I watched the NA Summit 4 qualifiers last night, and I'm watching the EU qualifiers today. Why the FUCK are pro teams still picking Ember Spirit? It's literally starting to look like a game-losing decision.

Here is every Ember game I've watched lately:

1. Ember gets decent but unspectacular farm early, then gets dove and dies before level 6, ends up losing lane overall.
    2. The mid tries to carry while Ember tries to farm a Battlefury. Other team focuses on mid because Ember can't do anything.
    3. Ember comes online in time to make final base defense.
    4. GG

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
    I know this makes me a dirty scrub, but I love playing Drow Ranger. Especially if I get to play her in the offlane with a decent support. Make the carry player's life miserable with your long range and slow, push down his tower once you hit six, make the enemy jungle your own once you have shadowblade. Too much fun.

Sceptre wrote: »
    I know this makes me a dirty scrub, but I love playing Drow Ranger. Especially if I get to play her in the offlane with a decent support. Make the carry player's life miserable with your long range and slow, push down his tower once you hit six, make the enemy jungle your own once you have shadowblade. Too much fun.

Drow's legit in different ways at different mmr's. She outputs probably the highest dps without items and she is crazy versatile.

Just super weak vs gap closer.

edited November 2015
    Hmmm, I was looking for a ranged carry to add to my budding Ranked stable of heroes. Was thinking Luna but maybe I should try Drow.
    411Randle wrote: »
    Okay, I watched the NA Summit 4 qualifiers last night, and I'm watching the EU qualifiers today. Why the FUCK are pro teams still picking Ember Spirit? It's literally starting to look like a game-losing decision.

1. Ember gets decent but unspectacular farm early, then gets dove and dies before level 6, ends up losing lane overall.
    2. The mid tries to carry while Ember tries to farm a Battlefury. Other team focuses on mid because Ember can't do anything.
    4. GG

In this scrub's opinion it's the metagame to blame. Teams see that Ember was picked, so they pick him. They see that some Embers are unreal, like EE and Notail, and so they pick him too. Maybe it's that Ember has a place in the meta, but the skill demands are too high? Or he's more situational than he looks?

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    411Randle wrote: »

4. GG

Yilias summed it up pretty well a couple of pages ago, it's mostly because he's nearly impossible to lock down and can split push. He also does decent early lane magic damage and can kill most laners, but you have to play him real aggressively to do it. I'm with you though, beyond Envy having some luck with the hero recently, I've yet to see it ever pay off for teams that pick him.

This discussion has been closed.