As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DOTA 2] 6.85

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So I was looking at getting the GLaDOS announcer pack on the steam market place, but there's like 4 different types; cursed, frozen, auspicious etc. all at different price points.

Is there any functional difference?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    I don't think there's any functional difference, just the name has the tag in front of it.

About ember, what about the fact that he often gets banned unless a team has a plan to deal with him?

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    So guys, I played a roaming bounty last game. I helped Ursa get a kill on Lion at top. I forced Storm Spirit out of mid and back to fountain with a smidgeon of health, winning mid for our Silencer. I helped bot get a gank on Witch Doctor.

And in that whole time I was consistently told to "leave the lane" and "lane normal" and "if I'm not going to help then fuck off out of the lane".

I don't understand DOTA anymore.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »
    So guys, I played a roaming bounty last game. I helped Ursa get a kill on Lion at top. I forced Storm Spirit out of mid and back to fountain with a smidgeon of health, winning mid for our Silencer. I helped bot get a gank on Witch Doctor.

And in that whole time I was consistently told to "leave the lane" and "lane normal" and "if I'm not going to help then fuck off out of the lane".

Don't you know that you need to go 2 -1-2 to play Dota right?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    mts wrote: »

Don't you know that you can't try to make sense of DOTA?

Prospicience on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know if there are list lock ins
    Mortious wrote: »
    So I was looking at getting the GLaDOS announcer pack on the steam market place, but there's like 4 different types; cursed, frozen, auspicious etc. all at different price points.

Is there any functional difference?

Most have no functional difference.

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Quality

It generally indicates how the item was acquired. There are some other factors, but you're generally safe going for the cheapest version, unless you want to use the stat tracking gems, in which case you can weigh out the cheapest ones versus how much it'll cost to buy pre-slotted/gemmed, which can actually save considerable cash compared to buying the item, putting in a slot, and then buying a gem.

At least, in my hunting for random outfits during the occasional splurge on Hats.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    It is widely accepted that you let your mid player have the first courier run, usually because they are rushing their bottle. Unless they hard rush it (buy no other items in order to get it as fast as possible) this means that they will usually finish the bottle sometime in between 2-3 minutes, and it is imperative that the courier be available during that time. I'm sure most of you know how much it sucks not being able to get your bottle because some shmuck in the side lane decided to finish his wand or some trivial bullshit.

But there ARE times when early courier runs to the sidelanes are useful; ferrying out early regen, wards, or even a recipe to finish your wraith band can make a difference in a close lane. To say that no one should use the courier for the first 2 minutes of the game seems like a waste and not particularly efficient. So it begs the question:

How early can you pull the courier to the side lanes, without impacting your mid players bottle timing? .

I spent a bit of time in a custom lobby and came up with some useful guidelines. First, some numbers.

Radiant courier travel time:
    (all results assume slow courier since it wont be upgraded by this point in the game)
    to radiant safe lane: ~35 seconds. 70 second round trip.
    to radiant off lane: ~25 seconds, 50 second round trip.
    to radiant mid lane: ~ 20 seconds, 40 second round trip.

Dire courier travel time:
    to Dire safe lane: ~33 seconds, 66 second round trip.
    to Dire off lane: ~22 seconds, 44 second round trip.
    to Dire mid: ~24 seconds, 48 second round trip.

So as a general rule, if you want to pull the courier early without messing up your mid's bottle timing do it before the following times:

Safe lane: before 0:50
    Off lane: before 1:10

This gives the courier time to get all the way to your tower and back before 2:00. Perhaps most importantly, if you are going to pull the courier early communicate that with your mid player. A lot of the time your mid won't have a perfect bottle timing, letting you get away with some slightly later courier trips.

Some other stuff: radiant side lanes are longer than their Dire equivalents, but not by much. The biggest difference is in the mid lanes, where the radiant mid is quite noticeably closer to the fountain than on the Dire side. It's actually faster to bring the courier out to the Dire offlane than to the midlane.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    A lot of people at my bracket are so oblivious of this rule that even telling them "hey I needed bottle, you're a jungling doom, what could you possibly need in the next 2 minutes more than my bottle?" doesn't even make sense to them.

So now I just keep a watch on my courier and if someone is ferrying out something I check what it is, and if it looks remotely not necessary I just jack the courier back to base and hope they don't notice until I have my bottle, so I can just go "oh sorry man, I didn't realise, you can have it after my bottle". It's not worth the argument.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    It was mildly amusing at first, but now it's just gotten annoying hearing two of my roommates having an argument about how important or not offlane aba's soul ring was compared to [mid hero's] (usually legion) bottle, as my friend who basically plays nothing but aba and omni will frequently be trying to ship his ring out around 2:00

and as much as my other friend insists, he will not start off by buying the recipe

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    It was mildly amusing at first, but now it's just gotten annoying hearing two of my roommates having an argument about how important or not offlane aba's soul ring was compared to [mid hero's] (usually legion) bottle, as my friend who basically plays nothing but aba and omni will frequently be trying to ship his ring out around 2:00

and as much as my other friend insists, he will not start off by buying the recipe

I'm sure he's a nice guy IRL, but that's the selfish behavior I just can't stand in DOTA, even with friends. Like there are a few possibilities:

1) His starting build can comfortably afford a recipe, and he should buy one;
    2) His starting build CANNOT, and he should just wait a couple of minutes for SR, even if it's not optimal;
    3) His offlane Abba build cannot afford the recipe and can't wait 2 minutes for a bottle...so maybe, just maybe, he should pick some other offlane hero that doesn't need to crap on his mid lane. And maybe he can every once in a while get an offlane Abba game by asking his mid friend to pick a hero that isn't bottle reliant, or can safely rush bottle with no items to free up the courier by like, 1:30.

And the fact that he isn't willing to do any of those things seems incredibly selfish. I've played with friends who have this kind of attitude to DOTA and they just sap the fun from your own game. I don't play videogames with some of my closest friends anymore because their fun always trumps mine and there's no quid pro quo.

In case it isn'y obvious, I get really wound up about how people treat each other in videogames. :P

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    OMG, I just had a game where the enemy QOP was trash talking 12 minutes in because they were up 12-3 on kills. We ended up stalling them out for about 20 minutes high ground while AM farmed and in the end we wrecked them in at least 4 consecutive teamfights to win. Death Prophet, Lina, Dragon Knight and Sand King are not to be messed with for high ground defense.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1921617360

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

I'm sure he's a nice guy IRL, but that's the selfish behavior I just can't stand in DOTA, even with friends. Like there are a few possibilities:

1) His starting build can comfortably afford a recipe, and he should buy one;
    2) His starting build CANNOT, and he should just wait a couple of minutes for SR, even if it's not optimal;
    3) His offlane Abba build cannot afford the recipe and can't wait 2 minutes for a bottle...so maybe, just maybe, he should pick some other offlane hero that doesn't need to crap on his mid lane. And maybe he can every once in a while get an offlane Abba game by asking his mid friend to pick a hero that isn't bottle reliant, or can safely rush bottle with no items to free up the courier by like, 1:30.

And the fact that he isn't willing to do any of those things seems incredibly selfish. I've played with friends who have this kind of attitude to DOTA and they just sap the fun from your own game. I don't play videogames with some of my closest friends anymore because their fun always trumps mine and there's no quid pro quo.

In case it isn'y obvious, I get really wound up about how people treat each other in videogames. :P

I get what you're saying, and he has been trying to expand his hero pool (recently trying to get earthshaker and quas-wex invoker to work), but he does have like an 80% winrate with Aba so he's not totally unwarranted when he's saying getting his soul ring in a timely fashion lets him really start snowballing his lane. Still should prioritize mid, though. Or maybe they could coordinate and get both their items on the courier at the same time :O

(also it wasn't fair to say he only plays aba and omni, he's also a good meepo and exhort invoker, and a few others. I think spectre?)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Also, to be perfectly honest, if I'm playing with my stack of 2K MMR friends, there is a little bit of selfishness that I need to employ in order for us to win. In a game of unbalanced MMRs, most of the opponents will just outclass the lower MMR people. So the optimal strategy in this situation is for the highest rated player to be a greedy fuckhead, because that gives the team the best chance to win most of the time.

It's a weird thing about team games...if you know your allies aren't as good as you'd like them to be, you simply can't trust them to make game winning decisions a lot of the time. It's not a bad thing, it's just how it is.

That being said...taking courier from your mid lane player so they can't get a bottle is one of those decisions that's so sub-optimal that I have a hard time believing that person is good enough to be making decisions like that. Do you want your mid lane to lose? A lot of starting mid builds are focused around getting fast bottle and if you take that away, they're screwed.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I mean, if the dude has an 80% win rate with the don, I say give him courier priority. And maybe run mid laners who aren't super dependent on a fast bottle timing.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I just started playing WW a bunch -- I really like that hero. There's just a lot of fun interactions, high skill cap, etc.

I seem to end up with a shitload of gold, too. Probably too much.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I love it when my teammates, before we've managed to get past the pick screen, are already tearing into each other, and don't stop, even when their LC is begging them to stop and fight with her.

By this, I don't mean two guys tore into each other all game long. I mean to say that the other 4 players on my team were each individually convinced that they were God's Gift to Dota, and that the rest of us were shit. Much of this revolved around our pick strategy which, I must point out, we were playing Single Draft.

Saturday morning started with a couple of great wins, and I should have signed off after that, didn't, had like 4 games in a row of Toxic Motherfuckers Abound (henceforth to be referred to as TMA). Sunday, on the other hand, had forgiving players who helped me learn Lifestealer (which I now know is a guy I should play a lot lot more). I should pay more attention to whether or not that's a pattern.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    I think weekday dota is, on average, better. I have no evidence, though.

I had a game last night with a jungle sand king who was level 3 at 8 minutes, and in no way communicated all game. I was very sad.

• Options
    I think weekday dota is, on average, better. I have no evidence, though.

That's been my experience as well.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Weekend Dota is full of 4-5 stacks of widely varying skill levels in my experience.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    My winrates Sunday-Saturday are 54, 50 52, 50, 50, 50, 48 according to dotabuff. Sunday dota is the best dota I guess?

• Options
    Man..seriously thinking about selling my dragonclaw pudge hook to fund a fallout 4 purchase.

• Options
    Damn I hadn't even considered that as an option. Now the question is: do I dare part with my beloved hats...

• Options
    Sceptre wrote: »
    Damn I hadn't even considered that as an option. Now the question is: do I dare part with my beloved hats...

I hardly play Dota anymore tbh....it seems like a no brainer that I should start clearing out hats.

• Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »

I hardly play Dota anymore tbh....it seems like a no brainer that I should start clearing out hats.

If I was a pc gamer (I only dota on my rig pretty much) I totally would. I probably have +/-500-600$ worth of stuff :(

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I love it when my teammates, before we've managed to get past the pick screen, are already tearing into each other, and don't stop, even when their LC is begging them to stop and fight with her.

By this, I don't mean two guys tore into each other all game long. I mean to say that the other 4 players on my team were each individually convinced that they were God's Gift to Dota, and that the rest of us were shit. Much of this revolved around our pick strategy which, I must point out, we were playing Single Draft.

Saturday morning started with a couple of great wins, and I should have signed off after that, didn't, had like 4 games in a row of Toxic Motherfuckers Abound (henceforth to be referred to as TMA). Sunday, on the other hand, had forgiving players who helped me learn Lifestealer (which I now know is a guy I should play a lot lot more). I should pay more attention to whether or not that's a pattern.

Speaking of pick screen douchebaggery, I've noticed a type of player. I'll now call him the Pick Screen Joking Toxic Motherfucker.

Basically, if a player makes a joke that is even a little insulting (ironically man, geez) or just with swears included, that player will invariably prove to be a Toxic Motherfucker when shit hits the fan in game. I mentioned my theory to a friend and the very next game it happened again.

My leading theory is anyone with the balls (or lack of tact) to make an off-colour joke within seconds of having the chance to chat with 4 strangers also lacks the tact to not be a raging douchebag.

In other news, Slark is really fun carry. He's actually helping me learn how to play carry, because with Slark you can test the bounds of who you can and cannot fuck with at what stage of the game, and 4 times out of 5 his skillset lets you get away with your life if you guess wrong. Also, he just seems to naturally encourage the farming/fighting cycle that does my head in with most other carries: when should I farm? When should I fight? I don't know.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options

Speaking of pick screen douchebaggery, I've noticed a type of player. I'll now call him the Pick Screen Joking Toxic Motherfucker.

Basically, if a player makes a joke that is even a little insulting (ironically man, geez) or just with swears included, that player will invariably prove to be a Toxic Motherfucker when shit hits the fan in game. I mentioned my theory to a friend and the very next game it happened again.

My leading theory is anyone with the balls (or lack of tact) to make an off-colour joke within seconds of having the chance to chat with 4 strangers also lacks the tact to not be a raging douchebag.

In other news, Slark is really fun carry. He's actually helping me learn how to play carry, because with Slark you can test the bounds of who you can and cannot fuck with at what stage of the game, and 4 times out of 5 his skillset lets you get away with your life if you guess wrong. Also, he just seems to naturally encourage the farming/fighting cycle that does my head in with most other carries: when should I farm? When should I fight? I don't know.

Slark comes on board way too early to be considered a true carry though.

• Options
    Make no mistake Slark can take it to the late game against most carries. His six stack manfight is ridiculous thanks to essence shift, and the purge from Dark Pact lets him dominate in some situations that would wipe other carries.

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Make no mistake Slark can take it to the late game against most carries. His six stack manfight is ridiculous thanks to essence shift, and the purge from Dark Pact lets him dominate in some situations that would wipe other carries.

Yeah, there was...I want to say it was OG against Golden Boys in D2CL the other day, where they drafted a Slark and he literally spent two minutes fighting four heroes, and survived thanks to incredible use of Dark Pact, Leap, and Shadow Dance. I think he ended up with 60 stacks of essence shift in the end.

A snowballing Slark is nearly unstoppable.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    411Randle wrote: »

Yeah, there was...I want to say it was OG against Golden Boys in D2CL the other day, where they drafted a Slark and he literally spent two minutes fighting four heroes, and survived thanks to incredible use of Dark Pact, Leap, and Shadow Dance. I think he ended up with 60 stacks of essence shift in the end.

A snowballing Slark is nearly unstoppable.

Snowballing slark is terrifying. But if he does not snowball he is much easier to deal with. Ghost scepter, euls, glimmer cape or just strait up carry a tp.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular

I routinely stack with Filipino players and we make Pinoy jokes all day. It's especially funny when the other team complains about having Pinoys and my buddies go off in Tagalog.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Viva Peru!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    tumblr_nak0g1BolN1thr02oo1_400.gif

I know these are LoL terms, but replace "ADC" with "carry" in your brain. Too funny not to share.

• Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    So, hi. Brand new to the Dota scene. As in played my 2 first non bot games less than 3 hours ago brand new. I've played a bit of HotS and was really enjoying it, but wanted something to really sink my teeth in. I'm terrible and I know it. I've always found the PA community to be fun and helpful. So would anyone be willing to give a scrub some advice?

For reference, my stats game 1 and 2. 1-Luna-Radiant-top lane with some statue guy (idk) Started off poorly, was 1-3 at about 20 minutes, finished 4-4-9 and didn't die in a few team fights.

Second game we had a dc to start the match, followed by another then 1 on the other team, so it was 4 on 3 the entire match. I didn't expect to win but did pull out 7-15-6 stats.

Anyhow. Is it really just a experience game? Learning when to leave lane, when to push, when to pull back? I've read a few beginner guides and it is normally things like "don't die" and "last hit enemies" which is kind of good advice but really broad and unhelpful past the first few bot matches.

Anywho, thanks in advance for any help.

signature goes here
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    It takes a long time to figure out the limitations of your hero in any game you play since the combinations are so different each game. After 1000+ games I still overextend quite often and die when I should have known to back out.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    I kinda figured. Looking back on all the HotS games I've played, plus Smite, it's gonna be a long road. Just hoping for a few shortcuts to feeling helpful to a team.

signature goes here
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I don't have anything specific to link, but look up purgegamers on youtube.

He has teaching videos, but his general play videos are also good since he almost always explains why he did something/what happened.

When you're super new, the things happening on screen will appear as a chaotic mess, but it'll start to make sense eventually.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Rubix42 wrote: »
    I kinda figured. Looking back on all the HotS games I've played, plus Smite, it's gonna be a long road. Just hoping for a few shortcuts to feeling helpful to a team.

As dumb as it sounds, "dont die, get last hits" is really the best thing to help a team in lower mmr ranges. If your getting more farm than the other team because your not missing last hits then youll be able to carry easily in lower skill brackets.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Ah, that does make sense, I didn't look at it from that angle. Just approached it as a "well duh" mindset and started looking for other ways to improve. I'll just keep playing matches and telling my team that I'm a brand new scrub and try to learn from my mistakes.

signature goes here
  • Options
    Ah, that does make sense, I didn't look at it from that angle. Just approached it as a "well duh" mindset and started looking for other ways to improve. I'll just keep playing matches and telling my team that I'm a brand new scrub and try to learn from my mistakes.

I'd say look up and memorize a few common ward locations. You don't have to go crazy-super-leet with it, but just plopping down the yellow ward in your jungle if you're radiant bot/dire top lane can help you see ganks coming from a mile away, so you can stay safe. Also putting wards on the big eye markings on the ground (like near the runes) will give your team a lot of easy, handy vision. And this is coming from a fellow newbie (I've played maybe ten vs. human games total, usually with friends), that bit of extra vision goes a LONG way.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

It seems "well duh" until you realize that every hero has a different attack speed, damage, and animation. Some heroes, and I'm looking squarely at all of the bow-wielders in the game, can be infuriating to try and time properly.

The best bit of advice I got for last hitting was to watch the ranged creeps and who they're targeting. They do the most damage. And to buy a quelling blade at game start if it's a Hero I can't LH worth a damn with.

I have 526 matches under my belt as of now, but I still feel very green when I play, and there are some fundamentals for carry and support play that I just don't do like I'm supposed to, mostly because I just haven't had time to practice those things. I suck at stacking camps, I don't buy dust very often (nobody ever groups up for it anyways), and some nights my ability to click on the hit box I want to hit is damn infuriating. Like tonight, when I played Legion Commander, and kept targeting creeps with Duel while I'm trying desperately to Duel someone who has 5 HP, and they manage to get away. GAH!!!

Twitch: Thawmus83
This discussion has been closed.