As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DOTA 2] 6.85

194959698100

Posts

  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Rubix42 wrote: »
    Ah, that does make sense, I didn't look at it from that angle. Just approached it as a "well duh" mindset and started looking for other ways to improve. I'll just keep playing matches and telling my team that I'm a brand new scrub and try to learn from my mistakes.

    It seems "well duh" until you realize that every hero has a different attack speed, damage, and animation. Some heroes, and I'm looking squarely at all of the bow-wielders in the game, can be infuriating to try and time properly.

    The best bit of advice I got for last hitting was to watch the ranged creeps and who they're targeting. They do the most damage. And to buy a quelling blade at game start if it's a Hero I can't LH worth a damn with.

    I have 526 matches under my belt as of now, but I still feel very green when I play, and there are some fundamentals for carry and support play that I just don't do like I'm supposed to, mostly because I just haven't had time to practice those things. I suck at stacking camps, I don't buy dust very often (nobody ever groups up for it anyways), and some nights my ability to click on the hit box I want to hit is damn infuriating. Like tonight, when I played Legion Commander, and kept targeting creeps with Duel while I'm trying desperately to Duel someone who has 5 HP, and they manage to get away. GAH!!!

    Re: clicking: I found that setting your skills (not items) to quickcast was really helpful, with little adjustment time. It does mean that you have to hover your mouse over yourself to self-cast instead of double-tapping. Also, occasionally you'll miscast something inappropriately, but that's more of an issue if you set items to quickcast, which I do not recommend.

    As for stacking, yeah there's surprisingly a lot to it. One of the things you might be missing is that timings vary. ALso, for some camps the direction you pull is key. Not knowing the timings/direction is massively important for the Radiant medium (part of the clump of two) and the Dire Medium (clump of 3) and the Dire Large (clump of two). Also, when you're a melee hero you want to draw aggro at 0:53, which means moving towards the creeps slightly earlier. Also-also, you need to stack a second or two earlier when you have a few stacks already. Also-also-also, the safer way to stack ancient camps is to run into melee range and run away, because otherwise the big triceratops one will stop to cast a spell and block the camp. Also...

    I'm no expert but compared to our bracket I'm probably a fucking master stacker. I'd be happy to run you through stacking and pulling in a lobby some time.

    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

    hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    If you're having trouble last hitting I recommend starting up a custom game as whatever character, no bots or anything. Buy the items you normally would and try to see how many last hits you can get in the first 5-10 minutes.

    Sometimes I do it when I don't have time to fit in a full game, I find it oddly relaxing.

  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Sceptre wrote: »
    If you're having trouble last hitting I recommend starting up a custom game as whatever character, no bots or anything. Buy the items you normally would and try to see how many last hits you can get in the first 5-10 minutes.

    Sometimes I do it when I don't have time to fit in a full game, I find it oddly relaxing.

    Oh! And the absolute coolest new Reborn feature that no one seems to know about: if you select a Hero in the Heroes tab and click "Demo Hero" you get a test-bed map that's basically a quasi-mid lane with creeps and spawnable Axe enemies, infinite items, infinite spells, etc, etc, as options. And it runs while you're looking for games! So yeah, I get my last-hitting practice in while waiting for a lobby nowadays. Just make sure to set up the demo and THEN search for a match, because sometimes you'll find a game instantly while Demo Hero is still loading and then you fail to accept a match by default.

    Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

    hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    My only issue with the Demo Hero function is that there isn't any lag. If you make a custom game, it starts the game on whatever server you've selected, giving you a better feel for the slight lag you'll experience. The old version had a console command to simulate lag, but in Reborn it seems to affect your frames per second instead of simulating latency.

  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Rubix42 wrote: »
    Ah, that does make sense, I didn't look at it from that angle. Just approached it as a "well duh" mindset and started looking for other ways to improve. I'll just keep playing matches and telling my team that I'm a brand new scrub and try to learn from my mistakes.

    It seems "well duh" until you realize that every hero has a different attack speed, damage, and animation. Some heroes, and I'm looking squarely at all of the bow-wielders in the game, can be infuriating to try and time properly.

    The best bit of advice I got for last hitting was to watch the ranged creeps and who they're targeting. They do the most damage. And to buy a quelling blade at game start if it's a Hero I can't LH worth a damn with.

    I have 526 matches under my belt as of now, but I still feel very green when I play, and there are some fundamentals for carry and support play that I just don't do like I'm supposed to, mostly because I just haven't had time to practice those things. I suck at stacking camps, I don't buy dust very often (nobody ever groups up for it anyways), and some nights my ability to click on the hit box I want to hit is damn infuriating. Like tonight, when I played Legion Commander, and kept targeting creeps with Duel while I'm trying desperately to Duel someone who has 5 HP, and they manage to get away. GAH!!!

    Re: clicking: I found that setting your skills (not items) to quickcast was really helpful, with little adjustment time.

    Quickcast Blink is one of my favorite things in DotA. It just feels so satisfying. I also like putting Orchid on quickcast because you're normally rapidly mashing it out as part of combo.

    As those two statements may have insinuated, I really like playing QoP.

    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I don't think I can do QuickCast. I may try it someday (it'd have to be a day where I'd have a lot of time on my hands), but the very idea of it sounds like a bad idea for someone with my accuracy.

    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    it would be cool if you could easily set it up to change to quick cast for specific characters

    camo_sig.png
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Or easily turn it on and off. There are some custom games (playing zeus on epic boss fight comes to mind) where quickcast is far more effective but it is a bit of a pain to remap keys to quick cast then back. Or forget to map it back to regular cast and teleport to your own fountain. While in your fountain. grumble.

  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    or at least have a toggle like you can for autocast skills

    it would be amazing to switch say blinks to quick cast but keep you stuns or things like duels etc on targets

    camo_sig.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Like, I mostly started using Quick Cast because Heroes of the Storm does have an easy toggle (off/on release/on), and with the prevalence of skillshots in that game reaction time is super important so Quick Cast is a good thing to get used to. On the one hand, I do wish you could bind individual abilities to be quick cast or not in HotS like you can in DotA, but it'd also be cool for DotA to have a shortcut "make everything quickcast" button.

    Also, I hear quickcast is absolutely required for meepo if any of y'all accidentally random him.

    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    Just finished games 3 and 4. Third my team had me play phantom lancer, went 9/10/12 and had no idea what I was doing, but we won.
    4th I played Luna, went 10/3/3, most gold and exp on my team and felt very good. I think the other team didn't play to well though because it felt too easy.

    Just loving this game. Figure I'm due for a bad beat down soon.

    signature goes here
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Like, I mostly started using Quick Cast because Heroes of the Storm does have an easy toggle (off/on release/on), and with the prevalence of skillshots in that game reaction time is super important so Quick Cast is a good thing to get used to. On the one hand, I do wish you could bind individual abilities to be quick cast or not in HotS like you can in DotA, but it'd also be cool for DotA to have a shortcut "make everything quickcast" button.

    Also, I hear quickcast is absolutely required for meepo if any of y'all accidentally random him.

    Nah quick cast isn't required for meepo. It makes his net a bit easier but poof will default to the nearest meepo no matter where you click

    camo_sig.png
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    I disagree, it cuts down your button presses on Meepo by a third. Considering how fast you want to mash all your buttons when doing the blink -> poof combo, it makes a huuuuge difference.

  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Sceptre wrote: »
    I disagree, it cuts down your button presses on Meepo by a third. Considering how fast you want to mash all your buttons when doing the blink -> poof combo, it makes a huuuuge difference.

    Also Tab-W-Tab-W-Tab-W-Tab-W is almost impossible to get wrong, while Tab-W-L Click-Tab-W-L Click can easily lead to a missed Poof or two.

    Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

    hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Pretty hefty update tonight. About 950 MB

    When I got back in, there were some more hats they were trying to sell me, and it looks like they were changing up the client for the group stage, starting in 5 hours.

    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I hate quick cast, but I might just be an old man who can't handle change.

    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I honestly think quick cast is strictly superior on most abilities, since you just have to get used to preemtively aiming--don't hit the button and aim, aim then hit the button. There are certain skills that you super duper need to make sure you land correctly where standard casting may be better just to make sure you're highlighting the right thing (doom), but otherwise it's an adjustment that makes you able to react a lot quicker once you've fully adjusted to it. Like those fancy snap-blinks someone will do the moment an enemy appears on screen is a lot easier with quickcast because you just have to flail your mouse in a direction and hit one button, which is way more fluid than hitting a button and then also clicking where you want to go on the mouse.

    but ymmv as always, people love to point out a bunch of pro HotS players who don't use quickcast, etc etc

    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I honestly think quick cast is strictly superior on most abilities, since you just have to get used to preemtively aiming--don't hit the button and aim, aim then hit the button. There are certain skills that you super duper need to make sure you land correctly where standard casting may be better just to make sure you're highlighting the right thing (doom), but otherwise it's an adjustment that makes you able to react a lot quicker once you've fully adjusted to it. Like those fancy snap-blinks someone will do the moment an enemy appears on screen is a lot easier with quickcast because you just have to flail your mouse in a direction and hit one button, which is way more fluid than hitting a button and then also clicking where you want to go on the mouse.

    but ymmv as always, people love to point out a bunch of pro HotS players who don't use quickcast, etc etc

    Oh yeah, I think it's 90% likely that quickcast is strictly better, BUT, the exception is for long-time players who have thousands of hours of hard-coded muscle memory, who already have a stellar MMR, and who will only suffer for a full month before their screaming fingers finally begin to accept the bloody changes that quickcast has wrought on them. For players that experienced, the benefit is just so minor that it's really not worth the change.

    That said, I'm so new and bad that I may as well jerry-rig the ideal set-up now before I get all crusty and old. :P I've seriously uprooted my layout at least 3 times, and it's only a matter of time before I change things again.

    Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

    hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if it is due to playing in midday, or just doing normal all pick matches, but I've luckily not had any crazy toxic players on my teams yet. I'm sure it's coming though. Law of averages will insure this.

    Totally random question I can't figure out. So when some players have a headset on, their voices come out of the speakers. I'm playing on my iMac and was wondering if the built in speaker would transmit my voice, or even worse, my wife's not pertinent phone calls when she is in the room. Or would I have to activate that in some way?

    signature goes here
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Rubix42 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it is due to playing in midday, or just doing normal all pick matches, but I've luckily not had any crazy toxic players on my teams yet. I'm sure it's coming though. Law of averages will insure this.

    Totally random question I can't figure out. So when some players have a headset on, their voices come out of the speakers. I'm playing on my iMac and was wondering if the built in speaker would transmit my voice, or even worse, my wife's not pertinent phone calls when she is in the room. Or would I have to activate that in some way?

    The standard settings have a hold-to-talk button. IIRC, it's set to Y, but you can check in the options menu (the gear icon in the top left). It shouldn't be transmitting automatically because it's hold-to-talk, not toggle. If you're worried about accidentally pressing it though, you could rebind to something like Alt+y. If you're ever worried in-game about it, just look to the right hand side of the screen - when you talk a small chat box icon will show up around there, so if there's nothing, you're not talking.

    Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

    hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    Thank you

    signature goes here
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    I must say it makes me happy to see new players enjoying the game. My games are so full of vitriol over even the tiniest mistakes, it's encouraging to know that people can still have a great experience learning.

  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Rubix42 wrote: »
    Thank you

    No problem! I once had the same worry.

    If you'd like, I'd be happy to play with you. I mentioned it a few pages back to another newbie, but me and Thawmus are your best bets for Arcadians to play with, because we're the friendliest*.

    *Actually it's because we're the worst players here, so it'll matchmake you with players who aren't totally outside your skill level.

    Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

    hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Group C is on with Secret vs LGD



    I forgot the majors where on. How where yesterdays games?

    Edit: Turns out it wasn't the start of games for C. Missed so much dota :bigfrown:

    danx on
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    So I had too much fun playing support Tiny. We had too many cores, but most of them were tanky manfighters, or just wanted to be up close and personal. So I became a mobile blink dagger and a set-up stun. With drum, force staff and Eul's, I chucked heroes into fights to get kills, and then cycloned or force staffed them if things got too heavy. And then we chased. Relentlessly.

    The best moment was tossing Veno onto high ground and giving him an ultra kill. I wasn't sure if that was gonna work, but I figured YOLO.
    danx wrote: »
    Group C is on with Secret vs LGD



    I forgot the majors where on. How where yesterdays games?

    Edit: Turns out it wasn't the start of games for C. Missed so much dota :bigfrown:

    The only games I watched were OG cleaning unknown right up. Unknown has shown so much bad sportsmanship that I wanted to see them crushed. (It was glorious.)

    Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

    hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oh, what have Unknown been doing?

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • 411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Wow, Secret just turned on the "I Win" button against LGD. 22-7 and it wasn't even that close. Puppey Chen is ridiculous.

    1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »
    Rubix42 wrote: »
    Thank you

    No problem! I once had the same worry.

    If you'd like, I'd be happy to play with you. I mentioned it a few pages back to another newbie, but me and Thawmus are your best bets for Arcadians to play with, because we're the friendliest*.

    *Actually it's because we're the worst players here, so it'll matchmake you with players who aren't totally outside your skill level.

    That could be a good time for me. Frustrating for you. Haha. Played a solid bunch of games last night. Got some haters, made some mistakes (lots of em) and had about a 50% win rate.

    I like that I generally learn more from getting my face pushed in the mud than being on a strong team that wrecks. it's weird how all the smite I played on the Xbox has helped me and I can pull from. Way more than HotS. But in Smite I was good enough to hard carry a team to victory as medusa where as here I am happy if I go 1 to 1 as any character.

    signature goes here
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Oh, what have Unknown been doing?

    The big one for me was playing with their food in the qualifier against DC. Plus things like their mid having a reputation for buying troll items in what he thins are ez games.

    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

    hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »
    Rubix42 wrote: »
    Thank you

    No problem! I once had the same worry.

    If you'd like, I'd be happy to play with you. I mentioned it a few pages back to another newbie, but me and Thawmus are your best bets for Arcadians to play with, because we're the friendliest*.

    *Actually it's because we're the worst players here, so it'll matchmake you with players who aren't totally outside your skill level.

    I suck too, pick me! 1400 solo MMR 2400 team MMR.

    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    It's funny though. Randomly put n draskyl's stream and he made an awesome point. It doesn't matter what your mmr is. You will always have times where it's a stomp (in both directions), find some awesome teammates or have some toxic people

    camo_sig.png
  • Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    When does MMR get set? Is it only for ranked? Cause I plan on only doing normal for a while.

    signature goes here
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Rubix42 wrote: »
    When does MMR get set? Is it only for ranked? Cause I plan on only doing normal for a while.

    Yes, you only have a visible MMR in ranked. You have one in standard games too, but it's hidden.

  • Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Riding high right now. Played abbadon for the first time. 10/7/26 as a support. He's really fun. Using his q to deny the other team a kill is delightful.

    In other news I wasn't able to admit properly before, I spent about 3 minutes with my fingers on tab through E and somehow didn't die.

    And much later edit to avoid a double post.

    I learned that I best not play a complicated carry like ember spirit until I know the game better. Team asked me to play him, I did. I hated it and performed awful. Good times.

    Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Yeah, Ember is made of paper. Playing him requires careful ult usage to control your positioning and the ability to land W+Q combos.

    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I still avoid Ember after 1122 games. Only played him for challenges

    iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Just had a Spectre on my team build a refresher, wtf...

    iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    It's a legit item! Probably not among the first 5 or 6 tho.

  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Ultra lategame you can sit in fountain, Ult > Refresher > Ult > Swap item and then jump to an illu.

    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
This discussion has been closed.