Options

[Telltale] Tales from the Borderlands - Ep.3 "Catch a Ride" out now!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I see.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I can totally get behind a Minecraft Story Mode. Especially since there is literally zero story or lore established, which means Telltale basically has total creative liberty.

In fact, I would go so far as to say the characters that Telltale creates for their adventure game will probably become the "core" characters of the future of the franchise.

I really like the idea of Minecraft and other voxel based building/crafting/digging games, but in practice I am not the right target audience for them. I have mad appreciation for the people who have created some truly amazing things in those games. But I am bad at them. I have neither the creativity, talent, or patience for them.

I own Minecraft, and I've played the tutorial. And then after that... I don't know what to do. Same with Terraria.

So this Story Mode announcement is exactly what I need to allow me to enjoy this "universe" with a little bit more structure. Because the free-form dig and build mode is just not for me.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Lesson one of Telltale games: the linearity is already hugely transparent if you've played anything they've done before, but going back and doing things a different way just to see how it'll turn out (prior to the final episode) is going to disappoint you.
    I don't know... I really loved choosing some of the different options in Tales from the Borderlands, but that's probably due to the humor of it. The choice you make when August is about to leave the deal with Rhys's perspective, for example, comes to mind.

I was hoping the theme of the Borderlands game would reduce my frustration with Telltale's way of storytelling, and I was really happy with how right I was. I think part of it is expectation, and part execution.

In the Walking Dead games I expected my choices to matter, and the game spends a lot of time and effort in maintaining this illusion. Obviously some of your choices do matter, but what annoys me is how frequently and transparently the game tries to trick you into feeling guilty about things you had no real control over.

TWD and GoT
    The defining moment to me was Carly's death. There were a dozen little way in which the writers had tried to trick me into thinking I had caused the situation, that there was something I could have done to prevent it. But there wasn't, of course, because that would have been inconvenient with their episodic format.

The choice between Carly and Doug was probably the most impactful one in any of the Telltale games to date. The fact that the story loop it caused was closed in less than two episodes broke my faith that I would ever actually have any meaningful control over the story.

The ending to the first Game of Thrones episode reminds me of that choice, and makes me very happy I didn't buy the game (watched it over youtube). I'm sure that to some degree the scene will impact the episodes to come, but I can't help but feel that the writers spent so much effort making the player feel responsible for the boy's death, as if their choices were to blame. It is manipulative, almost abusive, as so many of the choices have been.

Having already played the regular Borderlands games I am already more receptive to a fairly linear story. Beyond that, knowing that the people you see aren't all going to suffer pointless, gory deaths makes my lack of control over the story far less stressful. So far the characters play wonderfully off each other and the choices I have made (however meaningful they were) felt fun and engaging. Basically, in TotB you choose what kind of joke you want the game to tell. In TWD and GoT you choose what kind of knife the psycopath that has you captive is going to use to disembowel your friends. Unsurprisingly, I find the former far more enjoyable.

Vic on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    uilc5kmyuec82orgm9rz.png
    Minecraft: Story Mode will be an all-new narrative-driven game series developed by Telltale in collaboration with Mojang. Set in the world of Minecraft, the series will feature an original story, driven by player choice. It will not be an add-on for Minecraft, but rather a separate stand-alone product that will premiere in 2015 on consoles, computers and mobile devices.

Telltale's game series will mix new characters with familiar themes, in an entirely original Minecraft experience, inspired by the Minecraft community and the game that continues to inspire a generation.

I, uh... yeah so this a thing?
    giphy.gif

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I think the thing I liked about Borderlands was that it was a good mix of action and story.

Also, since some your choices had an affect on the action that was occurring things felt more immediate.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Ugh.

What a waste of Telltale's talent.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Y'know what? If they're doing anything including Minecraft, then I demand them to make my Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor (Eisenhorn/Ravenor) game, because CDProjekt RED, Monolith, and 4A Games won't return my calls.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it will be a fun series (Telltale could make a five part epic about a paper bag and it would work) but was really hoping they would go for something with a lil more narrative meat on it's bones.

People thought Borderlands was an odd choice but there was actually a good bit of lore and interesting characters to draw from atleast there.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    So regarding Telltale's catalog of games, would most of you agree that there's a very definite break in quality and standard of excellence between Jurassic Park and Walking Dead season 1? I feel like you have "Old Telltale" and "New Telltale" and the games from Walking Dead forward to present are just in a whole other league than anything that came before.

Don't get me wrong, I own pretty much every Telltale game, and I've enjoyed them all. But something changed with the creation of TWD and it has been evident ever since.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, I've been wondering that myself.

Where the hell did this Telltale come from? They seemed to be slowly fading into obscurity with middling reviews before TWD.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Properties that would make awesome Telltale Games:
    The Chronicles of Amber
    BioShock
    L. A. Noire
    Star Trek
    Star Wars

Goddamn Star Trek would be such a wild game.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Star Wars probably isn't possible, since Disney signed a 10 year contract with EA.

• Options
    There's a snowballs chance in hell of Amber ever getting an adaptation, doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see it.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Star Wars probably isn't possible, since Disney signed a 10 year contract with EA.
    Won't stop me from hoping.

The republic will rise again!

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    A Star Trek Telltale game with a completely new cast, crew, and ship could actually be interesting. No worries about baggage, can create a whole new story.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    A Star Trek Telltale game with a completely new cast, crew, and ship could actually be interesting. No worries about baggage, can create a whole new story.
    Kind of like what I wish Abrams would have done with the films. :(

• Options
    This is getting a bit off topic from Telltale, but I've got a fantastic pitch for a new Star Trek TV series. CBS needs to buy me a plane ticket to come out to LA and talk to some producers.

• Options
    This is getting a bit off topic from Telltale, but I've got a fantastic pitch for a new Star Trek TV series. CBS needs to buy me a plane ticket to come out to LA and talk to some producers.

BigTimeCBSGuy: We love it, but we do have to ask... Why is the entire crew catgirls in maid dresses?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Ugh.

TWD S2 was a waste of Telltale's talent.

TWAU was amazing. By all accounts, TFtB and GoT are also great. I have full confidence that Minecraft Season 1 will be amazeballs.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Ugh.

TWD S2 was a waste of Telltale's talent.

TWAU was amazing. By all accounts, TFtB and GoT are also great. I have full confidence that Minecraft Season 1 will be amazeballs.
    All IPs worth their time creatively. Minecraft is...abit more of a question mark. Bound to make a shitload of money for them on the other hand.

TWD S2 was alright, I thought. They had some pretty dumb ideas for that one though. I'm sure kids will love it and it will be a fun all ages things which they haven't had in awhile but there are about a million interesting universes out there I'd prefer to see them explore and expand on than Minecraft of all things.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I'd actually shit myself if they did something like... oh say Tales from Destiny. An IP that could use some fleshing out (hypothetically like Minecraft) but one that actually has some lore and points of interest to it, not just "this is a high selling game" (unlike Minecraft).

Speaking of Telltale stuff, there's a sale on basically every Telltale game out there for Xbox One (and possibly 360?) I picked up Tales from the Borderlands and Game of Thrones for $35 together, you can get those two and Wolf and both TWDs for $55...

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I have no interest in Minecraft, even a Telltale Minecraft, but if my cousin and her kids' Facebook feeds are indication, it's a license to print money and that money could be used to make games I am interested in. In that respect, I'm all for it.

• Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    The Chronicles of Amber
    BioShock
    L. A. Noire
    Star Trek
    Star Wars

I would do unspeakable things for an Amber game that served as a sequel and fleshed out Delwin, Sand , and the Spikards.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    In one of the recent PAX Q&As Jerry and Mike had talked about having Telltale do a narrative for Automata or The Eyrewood. Both of which I would easily flip shit for. I'm really hoping Khoo does what he does and just makes it happen with that.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I would do unspeakable things for a Mass Effect: Tales from the Citadel

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Deadfall wrote: »
    I would do unspeakable things for a Mass Effect: Tales from the Citadel
    citadel_noire_deux_by_lili_yajuujo-d3rg352.png

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Sagroth wrote: »
    The Chronicles of Amber
    BioShock
    L. A. Noire
    Star Trek
    Star Wars

I would do unspeakable things for an Amber game that served as a sequel and fleshed out Delwin, Sand , and the Spikards.

Really, any kind of Amber Telltale game would be golden.

"Corwin will remember that, and repay you in two centuries for it."

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I enjoyed TWD season one despite the fact that you're playing the story the creators want to tell with slight variances. I'm gonna play through 400 days this morning after work before digging into season 2

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    I played Tales From the Borderland Ep1 over the long weekend. It was pretty good. Definitely left me hungry for the next episode. Do we have a release date yet for Ep2?

I have a love/hate relationship with the episodic format that Telltale uses. If I play the episodes right as they come out, I am left waiting for months at a time. If I let them pool and hold off on buying them until all the episodes are available, I feel like a dirty sinner for not supporting Telltale right away. On the other side, however, the bite-sized bits of content are great. I've got so many other games on my plate that being able to just play a couple hours here and there is a nice relief.

• Options
    Tales From Black Mesa. BAM. That's how Valve ought to re-center the Half-Life universe and pave the way for HL3.

Note to Valve and Telltale games: Please make this happen. I will gladly sacrifice any number of animals to all of the pagan gods.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    So I picked up Borderlands and GoT in the Steam Sale. How much did I screw up by playing Borderlands first? Because that was DELIGHTFUL.

• Options
    Tales From Black Mesa. BAM. That's how Valve ought to re-center the Half-Life universe and pave the way for HL3.

Note to Valve and Telltale games: Please make this happen. I will gladly sacrifice any number of animals to all of the pagan gods.

If that happens, they should have Ross Scott play Gordan.

• Options
    Sprout wrote: »
    So I picked up Borderlands and GoT in the Steam Sale. How much did I screw up by playing Borderlands first? Because that was DELIGHTFUL.

I haven't played Game of Thrones yet, but after reading the description on the official website, I am totally pumped for it. I've already purchased it on my PS4, but I'm gonna wait until a few episodes are out for it. So I can't tell you whether or not you've spoiled yourself for amazing storytelling and gameplay or not, but I can definitely agree that Borderlands was incredible and I must have episode 2 right now!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    The general consensus is that both are good intros to the new series, but Borderlands is definitely better. I think it feels so fresh because it's in a new style and not a drama which has already been done with TWD and TWAU. I'm still super excited for both series. Have there been announcements for either on their episode 2s?

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Since I got an iPad mini for christmas I decided to finally check these games out. I started with the free episode 1 of The Wolf Among Us.

Holy shit that was amazing. Though I kind of saw the cliffhanger coming.

• Options
    In one of the recent PAX Q&As Jerry and Mike had talked about having Telltale do a narrative for Automata or The Eyrewood. Both of which I would easily flip shit for. I'm really hoping Khoo does what he does and just makes it happen with that.

I would kill for a Lookouts Telltale game. Just straight up murder someone for the dark gods.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Since I got an iPad mini for christmas I decided to finally check these games out. I started with the free episode 1 of The Wolf Among Us.

Holy shit that was amazing. Though I kind of saw the cliffhanger coming.

The Wolf Among Us is great and has so many twists, that I was glad I waited until it was completed to play.

• Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    So. I caved. Bought Game of Thrones and Borderlands games.

Borderlands is my favourite Telltale game to date. Based off of one episode. I loved The Wolf Among Us, but hot damn does Borderlands just hit every right button for me.

Game of Thrones is great. Graphics are...odd sometimes, like, pouring wine, and no wine? But great. Very Game of Thrones-y. I thoroughly enjoyed how well they've both set it up and intermingled it with the show.

Fantastic
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Played GoT ep 1. It was pretty good! I've got what may turn out to be a pretty big problem with it though, show and book spoilers follow:
    I know that there is no chance I'll be able to get even with Ramsay Snow. Lord Fat-and-Blustery, sure. But the show's producers, to say nothing of Martin, aren't going to let one of their major villains get got offscreen by someone who's basically an extra on the show. Telltale may have written themselves into a corner as early as their first episode.