As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Telltale] Tales from the Borderlands - Ep.3 "Catch a Ride" out now!

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    You know in the comics, which are set a decade or two after, she's alive right? And that they have a very good explanation of what happened to her?
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    The opening to Episode 2 of TWAU made me stop playing it cold.
    So I grabbed the Woodsman since he was a slippery bastard and Dee (Dum?) was an idiot and I could find him whenever I'm sure. We're doing the interrogation and I'm playing it nice the whole time. I gave him a drink, a smoke, asked him nicely and he wasn't going to give me the last bit of information unless I played the "I know how you feel" card which....I -just- called bullshit on when Bigby was getting interrogated.

So I punched him. It was, you know, one punch. But then everyone started talking to me like I spent the entire time beating on him since "did you hit the Woodsman" is a single flag, and that's bullshit, so I was done.

Of course the asspull "Snow didn't die, actually!" reveal didn't help that either.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Many people who played TWAU have not read any of the Fables comics. I know I haven't. TWAU is literally my only window into this universe. I was completely caught off guard by the end of episode 1 and the beginning of episode 2.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Still nothing on Borderlands episode 2, huh? Are they waiting to release it at the same time as The Handsome Jack collection or something?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I made the mistake of playing Borderlands right when it came out. It was just so dang good that now my impatience is rising.

I've decided to wait until the rest of it is out like I normally do with TT games.

• Options
    I'm getting to that point too...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    You know in the comics, which are set a decade or two after, she's alive right? And that they have a very good explanation of what happened to her?
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    The opening to Episode 2 of TWAU made me stop playing it cold.
    So I grabbed the Woodsman since he was a slippery bastard and Dee (Dum?) was an idiot and I could find him whenever I'm sure. We're doing the interrogation and I'm playing it nice the whole time. I gave him a drink, a smoke, asked him nicely and he wasn't going to give me the last bit of information unless I played the "I know how you feel" card which....I -just- called bullshit on when Bigby was getting interrogated.

So I punched him. It was, you know, one punch. But then everyone started talking to me like I spent the entire time beating on him since "did you hit the Woodsman" is a single flag, and that's bullshit, so I was done.

Of course the asspull "Snow didn't die, actually!" reveal didn't help that either.

The good explanation is
    that the new dead woman was glamoured to look like Snow, right?

Which is whatever. If the first episode hadn't closed on that or if the second didn't just sort of open with it as like "Oh, haha, yeah, that didn't happen", then it'd be alright. As it was, it was just kind of too...arbitrary? I'm not sure if that's the word I'm looking for in this instance.

But no, I also haven't read the comics either.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Mogs, you're basically complaining about one of the key facts of the season long mystery. The fakeout was a nice way to put a sting on the end of an episode, while the truth of what happened informs the rest of the season in a really important way. This is a REALLY BAD REASON to stop, unless you hated everything else about it.

I agree with earlier posters that Wolf Among Us is the strongest Telltale game yet. I have high hopes for the current two, but we'll see.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Episode Two of Tales From the Borderlands really sneaked up on me. Usually when these are about to be announced I have to wait a grueling week for them to actually be released. On top of family business I bought a PS4 this week, and Ori and the Blind Forest also came out, so I was pretty preoccupied with myself and sort of ignored it.

This episode was pretty great. I think I'm especially interested because I never finished Borderlands 2, or even played the Pre Sequel. It's been cool seeing all these new characters and really just having no idea what they're about or where they're coming from. It makes me want to play BL2 and Pre-sequel more because of it. So anyway, about this episode...
    Jack's dialog is awesome, and I love having him become more of a main character. I can see how they're going to play this, where you have to decide whether you want to help Jack be revived back into his own body or whatever, or side with Fiona and "hopefully" her sister. This episode had some cool elements and barely slowed down at all. My only really issue is that there are TONS more questions added into this, and I have no idea what's happening in that preview of next episode. Here's my choices:

Fiona -
    • I told Sasha to help me fight off the vagina faced Rakk Hive because Vaughn was already helping Rhys. So I didn't really see any negative to having her come help me keep off this huge rhino thing.
    • I picked the Jakobs Brand because I wanted more class to my vehicle and because I was $40 short from the Scooter Special.
    • I didn't peek inside Sasha's gift because it was disrespectful. She didn't want to know what was in it so I didn't want to be a jerk and invade those lines of what seems like a good sisterhood bond.
    • I shot Finch with incendiary damage hoping he would catch on fire. Which he sort of did so that worked out pretty well. I'm curious what the electric or the toxic damage would have done instead though. Also it seems that I could only use incendiary once, which kinda blows.

Rhys -
    • I told Vaughn about Handsome Jack. Dude's my best friend, I should probably let him know when I'm going crazy because of a hologram stuck in my brain.
    • I chose to go to Hollow Point because I wanted to meet up with Fiona and Sasha to regroup. Although I'm really curious how it would play if I just ignored that whole thing. I'm assuming it would have gone down virtually the same, most of these games don't stray from the path from choices unfortunately.
    • Bro! I totally bro fisted Vaughn, bro! Like bro. Totally, bro. Bro bro bro, bro bro bro bro.
    • And in the end I trusted Jack to take over the robots. This is probably the only one I sort of regret? But Fiona wasn't really making a case with just her grenades. I figured with Jack we could hack the robots and "mostly" save people. Looking back though I know of what an asshole character Jack is, so I should probably trust Fiona from here on out as Jack will probably start to manipulate me into doing what he wants instead of what Fiona and I want.

As always I don't replay stuff unless the game makes me, so I'm stuck with these choices whether good or bad. Lot less meaningful choices but the interweaving storylines are what keep me invested. I love the interjecting comedy bits, and that this is all done in a Tarantino-esque retelling. This series is really selling me on it.

Also Loaderbot. God damnit. I felt bad about making him explode last episode, but I'm so glad I did. His responses this episode have been 100% joy.

If you wanna watch the episode from my POV, here's my highlight. Twitch mutes it for about five minutes around the title card (thank god for subtitles), but I already appealed it. The same thing happened with the credits song last episode which was overturned.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    ZOMG GoT ep 3!
    People keep trying to tell me to be reasonable and peaceful and shit. Silly people, I've seen Game of Thrones. You wanna win you need to be the biggest asshole on the playground.

Saved my uncle cause he seemed more likely to die without help, although I was primed to restart if Beska had actually died.

Talked to Tyrion because fuck Margery. He is way more useful to me than you.

Kicked the jackass off the Wall because a) it's way more badass and b) seemed easier to cover it up if I got rid of the body. Didn't really help but oh well.

Kept getting up because fuck Gryff. Super disappointed in the lack of options to beat people to death with my cane.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I liked the BORDERLANDS Chapter 1 a little better than Chapter 2-- more going on, less filler. Chapter 2 spent a fair amount of time clearing its throat and waving its hands to pad out the material.

• Options
    Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    ZOMG GoT ep 3!
    People keep trying to tell me to be reasonable and peaceful and shit. Silly people, I've seen Game of Thrones. You wanna win you need to be the biggest asshole on the playground.

Saved my uncle cause he seemed more likely to die without help, although I was primed to restart if Beska had actually died.

Talked to Tyrion because fuck Margery. He is way more useful to me than you.

Kicked the jackass off the Wall because a) it's way more badass and b) seemed easier to cover it up if I got rid of the body. Didn't really help but oh well.

Kept getting up because fuck Gryff. Super disappointed in the lack of options to beat people to death with my cane.

Did the same really, except
    helping Beska

• Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    the recap for this game just mucked up another of my choices I think on the xb1, are there any other sufferers of this?

It's specifically in episode 2 spoilers
    the hand maiden daughter stabbing the choking guard. I killed that ass, but she ran away in my recap....

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I downloaded GoT Episode 3 last night, but it took forever to finish. I don't know if Telltale's own servers are capped really low for speed or if Episode 3 is huge, but Borderlands ep 2 finished much quicker in comparison.

In any case, I'm gonna try and play Episode 3 sometime this weekend since Bloodborne CE coming in the mail today. How does it compare to the other two episodes?

• Options
    NineNine Registered User regular
    For some reason Mira's plot line is the one where I have the most doubts about the decisions I make.
    I stayed with Margery and burned the letter.

• Options
    It is interesting how my experience with these games has progressed. Back in Walking Dead Season 1, I was having all kinds of strategic debates about choices and what not. But now I realize that there is really no way the final outcome will change much, so it's just whatever might keep my favorite characters around longer or is the most badass.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    So this post will be about both Borderlands through Episode 2 AND Game of Thrones through Episode 3, but I'll separate them into distinct spoilers so that you can just read one part if you only want to respond to that part.

Borderlands:
    I'm shipping Rhys and Sasha, which is super dumb and the developers are laughing at me for it. Still, the scan of her in the last area DID point out that she's "Friendlier...ish", so they had to know the potential was there. Anyway, I'm playing both groups fairly friendly to each other, it was interesting to see how surprised and pleased Rhys is if you call him your friend in the garage. I figured he deserved it since Loaderbot bailed Fiona + Sasha out from Athena murdering them.

Speaking of Loaderbot, I wonder about the branching here. If you agree to betray Vaughn, Vasquez sends down a fresh Loaderbot. How does that interact with the one already out there (whether exploded or not)?

In the end, I sided with Fiona. Siding with Jack, whose VERY FIRST introduced character trait was "gleeful betrayal" would make you a prize idiot, imo. I mean, his pitch is basically "I probably won't kill your friends doing this... maybe... if I'm able to... and want to." Fiona's plan LOOKS stupid, but hopefully there's SOMETHING to it.

Game of Thrones:
    The only good feeling is the sure knowledge that Telltale won't let things go TOO well until the end (if even then). By the same token, I don't have to worry about screwing things up too badly. My main question this time was whether to burn the letter from Tyrion or not. Isn't there a chance that some people didn't broker this deal? Or are you sort of railroaded towards it? The knife decision is EASY to forecast, it's the same as ditching or keeping the weapon in 400 Days TWD. If you ditch, they find it. If you keep it, they search you or your stuff at some point, and find it. My only question is, how does finding a random knife lead back to you? Not exactly worried about CSI: Westeros... Back to the document, I assumed if I burned it, it would end the storyline... but maybe there's a copy somewhere. It's also possible that having it would somehow allow you to still keep working towards the deal. For example, that might be enough to convince that "let's make a deal" guy to side with you...

Basically right now in GoT, there's so many variables and it's REALLY hard to decide which choices are real and which ones are TT just messing with you before forcing down a one way road. For example, it seems a certainty that all roads lead to you killing that guy on the wall, even if you give him every out and slash his arm instead of going for an obviously fatal blow. All so they can force you out towards the North Grove with no danger of players choosing NOT to desert. I stand by not going for the fatality though, it'll make it easier to talk about my intentions later if they're not able to say "If it was an accident, how did you punt him off the wall?!" or whatever.

• Options
    GoT spoilers:
    Nah, I kicked that guys ass off that damn wall. I'll get chewed out for it, or whatever but that guy needed to die. Though I'm going with my new Wildling friend to the North Grove first chance I get I suppose? Not entirely sure what's going on there.

The letter thing was super strange to me. Maybe I wasn't paying attention to what exactly was going on because I was zoning out a bit on the dialog this time around. I was confused because I thought I needed the letter to broker the deal to sell the Ironwood. That seems like an easy choice to me. Obviously Mira wouldn't burn the letter that you just risked your life getting from Tyrion's chest, right? I was just really confused when it gave me that choice.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Game of Thrones, the letter
    I burned the damn thing. Now that Tyrion has been accused of king- and kinslaying, associating with him any further would be absolutely disastrous.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    Game of Thrones, the letter
    I burned the damn thing. Now that Tyrion has been accused of king- and kinslaying, associating with him any further would be absolutely disastrous.
    I kept it. Obviously Cercei getting it would be super bad but I doubt papa Lannister would jump straight to conspiracy if you presented it to him as a reason to keep the deal Tyrion had made, for example. Or just go to Bravos and use it as collateral for a loan or something and hope they haven't heard the news yet. [/spoilers]

• Options
    GoT spoilers:
    Nah, I kicked that guys ass off that damn wall. I'll get chewed out for it, or whatever but that guy needed to die. Though I'm going with my new Wildling friend to the North Grove first chance I get I suppose? Not entirely sure what's going on there.

The letter thing was super strange to me. Maybe I wasn't paying attention to what exactly was going on because I was zoning out a bit on the dialog this time around. I was confused because I thought I needed the letter to broker the deal to sell the Ironwood. That seems like an easy choice to me. Obviously Mira wouldn't burn the letter that you just risked your life getting from Tyrion's chest, right? I was just really confused when it gave me that choice.

Things for Tyrion only get worse from here. Just a question, how many of the letter keepers are caught up in the show?

• Options
    GoT spoilers:

Things for Tyrion only get worse from here. Just a question, how many of the letter keepers are caught up in the show?

I'm not entirely sure. Like you pointed out though, the game will generally funnel to the end somehow. I doubt it made any difference at all.

• Options
    GoT spoilers:

I am. I also kept the knife. I'm assuming she's smart enough to not keep either in her pocket.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Borderlands Final decision
    I sided with Fiona, if you side with Jack you shouldn't be allowed near anything with a sharp edge.

Ov3rcharge on
  • Options
    GoT spoilers:

I am. I also kept the knife. I'm assuming she's smart enough to not keep either in her pocket.

But where would she keep them if not on her person? In her room? Gee, I'm sure it'll be terribly hard for the guards (already suspicious of her) to do a room search... oh dang. I agree with Koopah in the sense that if they want us caught, we'll be caught. It's not like they'll do a huge branching scene for "gets away with everything, nothing exciting happens."

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    wrong thread!

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    GoT spoilers:

But where would she keep them if not on her person? In her room? Gee, I'm sure it'll be terribly hard for the guards (already suspicious of her) to do a room search... oh dang. I agree with Koopah in the sense that if they want us caught, we'll be caught. It's not like they'll do a huge branching scene for "gets away with everything, nothing exciting happens."

Buried in a random flower pot on the other side of the castle. But yeah, there are no "success" or "failure" states in these games and even when there are, like with the betrothal the next episode someone goes "that thing we said was super important last episode is actually irrelevant! "

• Options
    GoT spoilers:

Buried in a random flower pot on the other side of the castle. But yeah, there are no "success" or "failure" states in these games and even when there are, like with the betrothal the next episode someone goes "that thing we said was super important last episode is actually irrelevant! "

My presumption with the wedding is:
    three options:
    1) the wedding troops are only "enough" troops (whatever that means) when combined with the Second Sons from abroad
    2) if you marry her, she will be horribly murdered by some dickbag which will then foul the alliance anyway (GoT + wedding = bad)
    3) the worst option, her faction will ally/ won't ally either way no matter what. This would suck and Telltale would lose invisible favor points with me if they did it.

• Options
    GoT spoilers:

My presumption with the wedding is:
    three options:
    1) the wedding troops are only "enough" troops (whatever that means) when combined with the Second Sons from abroad
    2) if you marry her, she will be horribly murdered by some dickbag which will then foul the alliance anyway (GoT + wedding = bad)
    3) the worst option, her faction will ally/ won't ally either way no matter what. This would suck and Telltale would lose invisible favor points with me if they did it.

My presumption is "It is literally never mentioned ever again." except maybe in the epilogue if there is one.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I'm playing through Wolf Among Us episode four right now. In true Telltale fashion, it presents me with some tough choices:
    wolf_among_us_001_zpsikge34qg.png

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
  • Options
    Yeah... this is awesome.

Yay Telltale!

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I don't know, the show is bleak but has moments of lightness here and there, this is so bleak. It's clear that
    Either Royland or Duncan has betrayed you, and I doubt it's a set person so it isn't something you can prevent without losing the other kind of thing. And somehow theyve got to manage getting Gryff swapped for Ryon with potentially no soldiers. I assume everyone isn't dead or Talia would be more broken rather than just fearful of Ramsay, but at the same time Ramsay isn't dead in the show so we know we can't do anything to him. I wish Telltale would figure out that they need to add a skip function so that replaying the games was more of a functional reality rather than a 3 hour slog.

• Options
    Couldn't wait any longer and decided that 4 episodes was enough to start GoT. Just finished episode 1.

*Ahem*

JESUS GOTDANG CHRIST…!

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Its a roller coaster and ep 4 is the best yet IMO

still has the telltale problem of choices, but has some excellent acting and writing and is generally a super fun GOT extension

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Yeah I enjoyed Episode 4 a lot. It was good paced.

The only thing I didn't get was
    No one really took notice of a hand maiden going from pack to pack asking a bunch of questions? Also, I immediately extorted that guys information that he's addicted to milk of the poppy. I said goodbye to Sara's future husband and then b-lined it to the Lannister and was all "Hey I know you do this, what the fuck is going on in Ironhill land?"

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Seriously...

GoT Ep1 spoiler also TWD season 1 spoilers
    Like, I know GoT has a bit of a reputation for killing off people unexpectedly but damn! I really was not expecting Ethan to get fucking shanked in the gotdang throat right at the end... I think it beats out Carly getting shot in the face in TWD with how loudly I exclaimed "WHAT THE FUCK!?". I thought I was going to be guiding this kid from newbie to powerful Lord of the house... guess not!

Can't wait to find out what depressing horrors await me in episode 2.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Episode 4
    I'm 99% sure that Maester Ortegryn is the traitor/spy who is supplying information to the WhiteHills

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    Episode 4
    I'm 99% sure that Maester Ortegryn is the traitor/spy who is supplying information to the WhiteHills
    Episode 4:
    I am so glad someone else assumed this. He's been absent from all major decisions, nobody has pointed to him aside from one time you can be like "Mebbe it's him..." I reckon once he started getting a beating is when he was like "Fuck this house. Time to bring in the big guns - Ramsay."

Fantastic