Options

[Telltale] Tales from the Borderlands - Ep.3 "Catch a Ride" out now!

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Unlucky wrote: »
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    Episode 4
    I'm 99% sure that Maester Ortegryn is the traitor/spy who is supplying information to the WhiteHills
    Episode 4:
    I am so glad someone else assumed this. He's been absent from all major decisions, nobody has pointed to him aside from one time you can be like "Mebbe it's him..." I reckon once he started getting a beating is when he was like "Fuck this house. Time to bring in the big guns - Ramsay."

Episode 4
    I think he's Gryffs older brother. During the scene where Gwyn points out the Whitehill family mural, one of the older brothers is Ortegryn. He used to pick on Gryff, thats why Gryff was beating the crap out of him.

When Gryff steps on Ortegryns hand, the maester literally screams "Gryffin", as if its a pet name for his younger brother. It isnt subtitled though, so maybe im hearing things.

The Maesters in the asoiaf books have real political motive and power, I like to think Telltale added that to their show based story

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Damn, I didn't even think to put the Whitehill portrait against other people I knew from the game. That's some good detective work.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Any word on Borderlands Episode 3? Did Telltale forget that they are making that game?

I feel like they're working on way too many projects at once, and release dates are slipping like crazy.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Not sure if we heard any news yet. Borderlands Telltale is on sale on the Steam Sale right now. I'd wait to buy though, first hour of steam sale is usually really buggy.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I already own Tales from the Borderlands on PS4. I've been waiting for eons for the next episode.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Any word on Borderlands Episode 3? Did Telltale forget that they are making that game?

I feel like they're working on way too many projects at once, and release dates are slipping like crazy.
    From their wiki page, is says they're releasing it quarterly, while releasing the Game of Thrones episodes every two months. Hence the crazy delays I guess. Still, Tales is by far my favourite Telltale game so far so I don't mind waiting.

Fantastic
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Just caught up to Episode 4. Against the suspicions of certain people (including people here), the marriage plot thread came back in a MAJOR way this episode, I really enjoyed it. I am curious if a loss of the marriage back earlier can be given a second chance based on the circumstances present this time? Flows a lot better this way though.
    The romance makes her support of you completely sensible and honestly it's a bright light in all the bad shit going down. Hopefully they won't have just killed her off when Ramsay showed up, I'll be PISSED. I also brought the soldiers with me to the Whitehills because fuck 'em.

Speaking of things that don't flow, the climax of Episode 3 is strongly disrespected (to a ludicrous degree imo) if you
    refused to murder your father's killer outright. Apparently the Watch operates under "if a man tries to murder you, and you don't let him, WE'LL KILL YOU" rules. Which is just idiotic, clearly they expected you to choose one of the other two options and wrote around that.

In Mira's plot, I finally threw Sera a MAJOR bone and
    set her up for marriage probably (unless the guy finds out I lied)? I still got the info needed and screwed up their deal, so I highly recommend going in this direction.
    Mira is becoming the biggest Bad Ass Forrester though, seriously. I love her.

The Whitehall part towards the end
    they broadcasted Lord Whitehill's weak spot pretty hugely. So with my soldiers and Griff captured, I called his bluff and saved Ryon for now. Can he die right then and there?

Finally, in Dragon Land, Dany is being a bit of a B. Actually, all the friendly show characters are kind of huge asses in the game, save Tyrion, who screws you anyway, if not on purpose. Still,
    I made Beskha relent before killing her old master. Disobeying a direct order is no way to get a favor. It might be a solid way to get killed actually. I do wonder if you could argue a "word of the order, if not the spirit" deal by pointing out Asha WAS a slave, therefore a slave did deal justice to that master? Killing the guy yourself is bananas level stupid though, that's for sure. It disobeys Dany AND couldn't satisfy Beskha, so what's the point?

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I really am not enjoying Game of Thrones, it's so boring and I get really down on Telltale every time than I play it.
    But Borderlands is so good, it's like the A team and B team accidentally got put on the wrong projects, Borderlands might actually be up in the great tier with Wolf Among Us. Game of Thrones is almost Walking Dead Season 2 bad, shouldn't it be reversed?

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Guess it depends on if you like Game of Thrones (never read it, never saw it) or Borderlands (love it) better.

• Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Guess it depends on if you like Game of Thrones (never read it, never saw it) or Borderlands (love it) better.

I generally like Game of Thrones, but I think the Telltale game is borderline awful. Telltale's style of game can lend itself to flaws like railroading, but it seems like GoT more than any other series is just all flaws all the time.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah, Tales from the Borderlands works great because the different choices primarily just lead to different jokes along the same railroaded path - but you're playing it for the jokes, so it's just dandy.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular

I hate the Borderlands main games but I think the telltale game is really well done. I don't know much of anything about Game of Thrones but I have a long list of gripes, but I'll probably wait until the season is finished before I write up a big list.

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm so sorry folks! I forgot about this thread as I put off playing GoT for a bit. I'll update the title and the OP now!

I also just finished Episode 2 of GoT and I'm looking forward to catching up with that and Borderlands!

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    So I'm just throwing in my quote from back in April real quick to note something about Tales From the Borderlands Episode 3.
    Borderlands:
    I'm shipping Rhys and Sasha, which is super dumb and the developers are laughing at me for it. Still, the scan of her in the last area DID point out that she's "Friendlier...ish", so they had to know the potential was there.

So uh. Yeah. This is clearly the intention and I was dead on. Which is GREAT and I love it.
    Don't kill her off or do something awful, writers. So help me, SO HELP ME.

So this board has been really quiet about the ongoing Game of Thrones and Tales From the Borderlands series. Are people waiting for the endings to buy in? I have to say Tales has been just outstanding and far outstripping expectations, while Thrones is tense and interesting, but perhaps a tad predictable in an overarching sense (CERTAINLY not moment to moment though). Highlight of Tales has been the title screens and how approachable it is to casual Borderlands fans, with still obviously interesting lore for superfans. Highlight of Thrones has been transmuting the fear of "are they about to kill (my favorite character) right now?" into "are they about to kill ME right now?" perfectly.

Thrones episode 4 choices (bit of a repeat, but hopefully to spark discussion?):
    -Used my fiance's (hey bae) troops to capture Gryff, but I didn't kill him. Could I have? The game describes my actions as merciful in any case.
    -Made Beshka relent on the master dude, Dany was being very aggro and ignoring her doesn't seem like a great way to get support.
    -Didn't reveal Sera's secret, I figured (correctly) that I could get the info by very much lying. I also would not be getting her help ever again if I had done that, and her help had JUST proved useful, so that would be dumb.
    -Made a deal for Rion's life for now, dunno if this is a choice, but they at least tricked me into feeling like I accomplished this.

Tales from the Borderlands episode 3 choices:
    -I told Vallory that Felix was to blame. Why not, he's dead. Anyone else, maybe that person later has the advantage on me and is furious.
    -I couldn't argue with Athena's reasoning and thus didn't try to stop her. I don't know anything about the scientist guy to make me defend him...
    -I let Vallory help me up. That's... a choice? Weak.
    -I refused to work with Jack. This is just consistent "brain having" behavior.
    -I didn't give Sasha the flower because they wouldn't let me scan anything, maybe it was poisonous? Turns out, yeah it was a terrible idea. Hopefully they don't read that choice in a stupid way or I'll have to go back to it later...
    -And yeah, I didn't let go of Sasha, come on now.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

I generally like Game of Thrones, but I think the Telltale game is borderline awful. Telltale's style of game can lend itself to flaws like railroading, but it seems like GoT more than any other series is just all flaws all the time.

This was something I figured from the first ep and why I never bothered to play the rest.

GoT is all about powerplays and oneupmanship from what I've gathered). The problem with this is well, you can't really one up any of the book characters in any meaningful way (especially since in the books this usually ends up with someone dead). So, it makes the flaws even more glaring because it shows you just how illusionary the choices are.

Tales of the Borderlands kind of avoids this by having most game-relevant characters only make cameos usually. But you can't really do that in a game like GoT because all the political characters with any real power play a big part in the plot.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm waiting until the whole season has been released before I pick up either.

• Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    I'm only through Chapter 5, Episode 1 in GoT. Huge fan of the books, and I like the show except for the latest season. The game is alright, production values are better than typical for Telltale and I like how it gets into smaller scale stuff, but the dialogue mostly sucks and it is kind of boring.

As for Tales, I despise Borderlands so I can't imagine getting anything out of it even with the good reviews.

• Options
    Butcher wrote: »
    I'm only through Chapter 5, Episode 1 in GoT. Huge fan of the books, and I like the show except for the latest season. The game is alright, production values are better than typical for Telltale and I like how it gets into smaller scale stuff, but the dialogue mostly sucks and it is kind of boring.

As for Tales, I despise Borderlands so I can't imagine getting anything out of it even with the good reviews.

It depends on WHY you despise Borderlands. If it has to do with the characters, memey sense of humor, loot system, or the way the FPS systems are designed, you could ABSOLUTELY still love Tales. While Borderlands 2's humor is mostly trying to say a string of funny things while you shoot the same guys over and over again, Tales plays with the conventions of storytelling narrative and the tropes that Telltale itself has developed since The Walking Dead Part 1. Also the characters are meant to be liked, not just laughed with, so they have some meat on their bones, depth wise.

• Options
    I love the Borderlands game. GoT is decent but I'm pushing through it mainly because I like the franchise. Honestly TWD Season 3 and Michonne mini-series should come with a new graphics engine. They're still using the same engine as TWD Season 1 but with different styles in their art and models. If their newest game from 2016 looks like something from 2012, I think it'll get a lot of backlash. They've gotten a ton of mileage out of the one they've been using, time to move on. Especially with the Marvel and Minecraft announcements on top of the TWD S3 and mini series.

I'd say other than graphics being a big issue throwing me off of GoT, the story is decent but the choices feel pretty abysmal. I'm definitely not feeling the TWD or TWAU difficulty to choose when put in an awkward position. I agree that it definitely has to do with some characters being tied to main plot contenders from the show, but even the direct Whitehill/Forester conflicts I'm sort of indifferent about.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Tales from the Borderlands Ep 3:
    Gortys is the cutest damn robot! Gortys and Loader Bot hanging out is the best!

• Options

It depends on WHY you despise Borderlands. If it has to do with the characters, memey sense of humor, loot system, or the way the FPS systems are designed, you could ABSOLUTELY still love Tales. While Borderlands 2's humor is mostly trying to say a string of funny things while you shoot the same guys over and over again, Tales plays with the conventions of storytelling narrative and the tropes that Telltale itself has developed since The Walking Dead Part 1. Also the characters are meant to be liked, not just laughed with, so they have some meat on their bones, depth wise.

The memey sense of humor mainly. It's so stupid. I don't really care about any of the characters either. Couldn't finish BL2 out of sheer boredom with the writing.

• Options

The memey sense of humor mainly. It's so stupid. I don't really care about any of the characters either. Couldn't finish BL2 out of sheer boredom with the writing.

In that case you should have no problem with tales from the borderlands

It is much, much better written

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »

In that case you should have no problem with tales from the borderlands

It is much, much better written

Cool, maybe I'll pick it up during the winter sale. Hopefully the episodes are done by then.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Wiped out my Borderlands save while computer janitoring, noticed something.

Ep 1:
    On the approach to the hill I scanned Helios. Yikes.

Feels like I missed something in the other episodes.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

Ep 1:

What did it say? I missed that.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

Ep 1:

What did it say? I missed that.
    Helios Station
    Elevation: 204,603 miles
    Population: 52,072
    Weaponry: Moonshot Blitz Cannon
    Hyperion is constantly observing the surface of Pandora because it cares about each and every Pandoran resident. So be on your best behavior.
    e:And, for reference, Wikipedia's page on Hyperion, God of Watchfulness, Wisdom and the Light.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAnRtMEDrvU

Meh, looks okay? I dunno, I'm probably not going to play this one.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    A link with the details http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/04/first-minecraft-story-mode-details-revealed-at-minecon?read

Notably:
    Voice talent for Minecraft: Story Mode includes Telltale alum, 80's film legends, and more. Check out the list of talent confirmed so far.

Patton Oswalt (Ratatouille, WordGirl)
    Brian Posehn (Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Surf’s Up)
    Ashley Johnson (The Last of Us, Tales from the Borderlands)
    Scott Porter (Batman: Arkham Knight, Speed Racer)
    Martha Plimpton (The Goonies, The Good Wife)
    Dave Fennoy (The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us)
    Corey Feldman (The Goonies, Stand By Me)
    Billy West (Futurama, Adventure Time)
    Paul Reubens (Pee-wee’s Big Adventure, The Nightmare Before Christmas)

Uh... heck yes that is some voice talent. Interest level increased from like 10% to 40%.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4uuyxnSeM0

Looks pretty sinister, color me excited. I hope the story threads actually complete in a well enough fashion. Between the two ongoing series, Borderlands has been killing it while Thrones has just been "okay" for me.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    UGH! Man that episode five of GoT has such a sour note to end on.
    Alright so. Everything is fucked for my play. Mira has zero friends left in King's Landing and is probably going to die. Gared is surrounded by white walkers with a wounded freefolk and his sister, and Finn just died. Rodrick got his archers taken away from him, and found out Royland was a traitor (I thought it was going to be Duncan the whole time, though it made sense that it was the opposite of my sentinel choice). Asher's the only one who had it going awesome through the whole episode... well... until the end.

I chose Asher to die because I want Rodrick to reclaim his honor and change his title from Rodrick The Ruined to something more respectable. Rodrick can get a better army than Asher brought from Eleana's family (hopefully). Plus he's the lord of the house, he can't die yet.

But what a shit-sucker of a choice. I really like both Asher and Rodrick as characters, Rodrick more since he's healed and stood up to the Whitehills throughout this whole season, and Asher just because he's a charismatic bro with a very likable personality. Asher's the Luke from TWDS2 of this series for me. This choice alone makes me want to replay this episode a second time and play the next episode twice. Hopefully it adds layers of variation instead of Telltale's mastered illusion of choice.

...now what are Beskha and the "sellswords" going to do with Rodrick and his family?

It's an entertaining episode, but it's definitely one of the weaker ones for me. HBO characters feel strange from the show/book versions, deviating just to fit the story line. Not to mention since I know they're important to the show that when they give me choices that would hurt that HBO character, I don't care at all because I know they're not going to get hurt.

I ran into quite a few visual and gameplay issues. Like there's a section where you use a bow to shoot at something, and I missed solely because of the wonky controls and interface. Not once, but twice! I was compelled to restart, but then I had to sit through like 6 minutes of stuff I already watched and couldn't skip. The graphics still aren't doing any favors, some of the "stained artsy" backgrounds look really good, but a lot of the up close textures and clothing/hair models are just plain poor and low-resolution. Model animations occasionally jumped around between frames. Sound effects pop in everywhere which made for seriously jarring sequences, specifically on Asher's story. It just felt messy.

Overall, Game of Thrones continues with more of the same, but has (again) a great setup and promise of what could be a potentially awesome finale.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    The key to playing Game of Thrones (enjoyably) so far has been to do basically what you want, not try to get the "best" outcomes. The game will do exactly what it wants, so just keep to what makes you happy. If you like revenge, you get like 6 chances to take it, go ahead and do so. Holding back doesn't create a world where the Forresters are happy and safe.

For me, I have a per character logic to how I'm playing each one:
    -Asher has been focused on Beskha first and duty to his family second. When the two conflict, he makes a judgment call who would be hurt worst and decides from there. So for example, if Beskha or his uncle was going to get murdered by a dragon, he saved Beskha since the family as a whole would survive the loss. However, when Beskha demanded revenge at the cost of the entire point of the mission, he refused it from her. Why even go through the motions of the mission if you're going to deliberately let it fail. In the end, Asher gave his life to save his brother, hoping that a successful Forrester family would make some kind of a place for his 'sister' to be happy.
    -Mira realized that both her boss and her friend, Sera, were ridiculously fair weather. From that point on, she doesn't deliberately ruin them (she didn't tell Sera's match about how she is a bastard, as that wouldn't gain her anything), but she internally rolls her eyes whenever they demand loyalty or poo poo Mira's ethics. Mira's family could be utterly destroyed and Margery would be like "yeah, it wasn't the right time for me to keep them from being killed. You know... politically," so in Mira's opinion, fuck her. She does care for the spy boy though, he actually saved her life. He is the only one that Mira would take a risk for.
    -Duncan is a man on a mission. He respected Jon and held to his promise not to attack his father's killer, even when provoked. He even told Jon some details of his mission, where he considered appropriate. However, the Crows betrayed him with prejudice and idiocy, stating that defending yourself from a murderous assault was the exact same as murder. They even ignored an eye witness to suit their lust for his blood. So Duncan considered his oath betrayed and with no oath, he's free to go North with no compunctions. He regrets Finn's loss, but suspected the man would desert the group at safest opportunity in any case.
    -Rodrik realized quickly after the betrayal at the Red Wedding that diplomacy would only be useful as a shield to hide the knife from this point on. He holds back his rage in confrontations with the Whitehills and Boltons as necessary, since they are currently in the stronger position. He allowed Gryff to beat him down, but then sprang a trap with his fiance's forces and beat Gryff until he felt satisfied (he could have gone farther, but his hate runs cold and he's fully in control). He actually suspected the Maester as the spy (and hasn't fully let go of the idea that there could be TWO spies working together), but was not shocked at Duncan's reasoning once he stated it. The reasoning was as childish and boastful as Rodrik had always found the man himself, it's no surprise that even a child like Ethan could see the difference between someone 'rash' but able to back up his words (Royland), and a 'cautious' man who was actually just a coward, never ready to put words into action. With the sudden, horrible loss of his just-returned brother Asher, Rodrik is well past done holding back. He will destroy the Whitehills, perhaps only sparing Gwyn in Asher's memory.

*Deep breath after all that* I feel like episode 5 was too brief and had too few *real* choices in it (like Telltale penultimate episodes ALWAYS do) BUT they may have created the first real, serious branch in a Telltale series ever. By waiting for the last episode to do it, they may ACTUALLY have basically created TWO last episodes in a lot of important plot places. If that comes about, then GoT will be a real cool thing in TT history.

Oh and the pitfight with Asher had some Naughty Dog level humorous dialogue going on, A++ would fight again.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Oh, crap. Tales from the Borderlands episode 4 ("Escape Plan Bravo") drops TOMORROW.

(Wednesday for the xboxen crowd, Thursday for iOS/Android.)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I've been wanting to play GoT, but I load it up, and all the graphics look terrible, there are thick black lines that hide everything, and is unplayable in its current state. It seems its a graphics card/driver issue, but neither updating to the newest driver nor reverting to a past version seems to fix it. :( Has anyone else had this issue and resolved it?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Trailer:

(Obviously HERE POSSIBLY BE SPOILERS if you care about that sort of thing.)

https://youtu.be/X8CmymS3C1o

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Oh man, is episode 4 going to be a Heist?

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Hasn't this entire series been a heist?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Borderlands Episode 4 spoilers.
    See ya space cowboy...

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Oooooh! I know it's not the right time tonight!

Holy shit, that title sequence.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.