As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] A Classy Christmas II; Day Seventeen Total: $7,197.90

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Good gravy!

7aO2K2e.jpg

For having dared question his gifting efficacy, which in hindsight was both incorrect and ill-advised, @Isorn has consigned me to eternal damnation at the hands of a malicious AI. Twice.

Thanks very much! :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Would a CAPTCHA help with all the bots ruining stuff?

It's not bots on the market or anything like that.

People can put in buy orders for hundreds with the built system. That's fine.

The problem in this case was the duplication bug. It starts and ends with that.

• Options
    DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    Are bots gaming the market any more though?
    I thought the purchasing and selling of items on the marketplace are only being controlled by Valve's bots now.
    Where you put in your desired price and you are sold that item depending on your position in the queue and someone else listing is at or below your specified price.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Deadlock for $1.74. I didn't know it was on Steam. I played the hell out of it back in the day. I really liked the directionality of attacks. If an attack came from a certain direction on the overmap, that's where it would show up down in the sector. So you had to be smart about positioning defenses and there were opportunities to bypass enemy defenses.

Mostly negative reviews suggest that it may not have aged that well though.

Ha, "all-time peak" players? 2. :)

The reviews suggest that the first game, at least, and maybe also the second won't run on a 64-bit OS, full stop. Someone's quoted the guy who ported Deadlock (and 29 other games) to Steam saying that they're trying to get Deadlock taken down.

Well now I can find out:[/img]

Oooops, didn't realise that. Fingers crossed it works!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    ...so I've been busy for the last days. What is this gem stuff people are talking about here? I don't see anything different on my steam homepage...

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    ...so I've been busy for the last days. What is this gem stuff people are talking about here? I don't see anything different on my steam homepage...

It came, exploded, it crashed, it was potentially fixed and should come back this weekend.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Blame yetis.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »

Brief summary is:
    • An auction house running from Mon - Thurs
    • You can use gems to bid on nearly 2000 games participating in the auction.
    • Auction round resets every 45 minutes, Highest bidder wins. So there's about 100 auction rounds on each game, meaning 100 copies of each game can be won.
    • Losing bids have their bid carried over automatically to the next round.
    • Gems can be created by converting stuff in your inventory such as cards, backgrounds, emoticons, or they can be purchased from the marketplace.
    • If you have no interest in the auction you can use gems to create card booster packs for games you own.
    • If you win nothing, you still have your gems after it all meaning you can create booster packs and sell them on the market or sell the gems.

This is my understanding of it at least. More info here: http://steamcommunity.com/auction

• Options
    f3rret wrote: »
    Blame yetis.

It's all this guys fault.

500px-Yeti_King_Art_Large.jpg

• Options
    Whew.

Finally finished reviewing all of the Sleeping Dogs DLC.

Well, except for the one free DLC it doesn't seem to want to let me review. Weird.

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Whew.

Well, except for the one free DLC it doesn't seem to want to let me review. Weird.

I'm still working on the main story. Not sure how much I still have left but things are heating up.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Whew.

I'm still working on the main story. Not sure how much I still have left but things are heating up.

Sleeping Dogs is an excellent game I can't help but think would be better served by not being an open world game. It's got probably the best mainline story of any open world game I've played, and then the rest of the world just felt.....empty.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    So should I still be waiting to make badges?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So should I still be waiting to make badges?

I'm sure you need a budget will be on sale :+1:

Also, darn @Isorn‌ and his keys. He hit me with plants under attack AND I need a mouth to scream!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    I don't think anyone actually argued that Valve is Evil or Valve is making so much money.
    The last few events have been such transparent cash grabs that it kinda disgusts me.

As to this point:
    I don't have to work for Valve to look at the mechanics of this event and clearly see that it was designed with a few direct goals:

1. Encourage people to reduce the number of items in their inventories, and by consequence, the number of things they can potentially put on the market.
    2. To further drain items from the marketplace by encouraging people to purchase them to convert to gems.

...From it's very design you can infer the motivations behind it.[/i]

I don't agree with this at all. You cannot necessarily deduce original motivation from design. The US War on Drugs has swelled prisons to overcapacity therefore the policy makers' goal was to fill prisons when they launched the program. Aspirin is an effective heart attack deterrent so that was the goal in drug development. Speed cameras around schools make a lot of money therefore they were put there originally with the goal of making money. (That one certainly might be a motivation now that the system has matured....)

Thinking you can go backwards from consequences to intent is as mistaken as thinking you can always make a system free of unintended consequences. You can make informed guesses, which is what we are all doing. And I'm expressing surprise that there are so many guesses that Valve's intent was "push everyone to the market and make all the pennies" versus "try to do a fun holiday event that we haven't done before."

I think they tried to do a fun event they hadn't done before and it was (a) confusing and (b) poorly protected against effective agents of chaos. I could be wrong, of course.

I am completely in agreement that the Potato holiday events around playing games and getting obscure achievements were much more fun. I wish we could have those again. And gift packs.

So close to being totally right!

So close!

The war on drugs and prison populations was a bad example to pick, as the program was designed from the outset as a malicious attempt at perpetuation various forms of racism, discrimination, and segregation under the guise of something positive.

But still!

Otherwise, spot on!

:P

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    DaxterMax wrote: »
    Blame yetis.
    yV5sV6E.gif

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Blame yetis.
    yV5sV6E.gif

This motherfucker was the bane of my youth.

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Blame yetis.
    yV5sV6E.gif

hRggN.png

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Deadlock for $1.74. I didn't know it was on Steam. I played the hell out of it back in the day. I really liked the directionality of attacks. If an attack came from a certain direction on the overmap, that's where it would show up down in the sector. So you had to be smart about positioning defenses and there were opportunities to bypass enemy defenses.

The reviews suggest that the first game, at least, and maybe also the second won't run on a 64-bit OS, full stop. Someone's quoted the guy who ported Deadlock (and 29 other games) to Steam saying that they're trying to get Deadlock taken down.

I bought this from the GOG sale the other day and it runs just fine on my system, Win7 64bit. This is most likely the same build that GOG sells, that seems to be how it works with Nightdive and Retroism titles.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    @The Brayster gifted me Dead or Alive Round 5! ALL THE BOOOBS!

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Gamersgate/Temple of Osiris news update:
    So now I've been recharged the $9.99, and a separate one for $0.30 (taxes not charged the first time maybe).
    So far game remains intact on Steam. No emails explaining what the situation is.
    (Technically it looks like maybe the refund was just canceled as opposed to being recharged)

akajaybay on
  • Options
    Big Classy wrote: »
    @The Brayster gifted me Dead or Alive Round 5! ALL THE BOOOBS!

When you say things like this it makes me want to give you that Newgrounds: The Game from a few pages earlier.

All the poorly-drawn anime boobs you could possibly never want.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    YETI_zps9921b23e.png

Edit: Beaten by @Brutal J‌ because I took the time to screencap it.

Sooo....what are they going to do about card packs people made with the gems they bought?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote: »

I bought this from the GOG sale the other day and it runs just fine on my system, Win7 64bit. This is most likely the same build that GOG sells, that seems to be how it works with Nightdive and Retroism titles.

It's something to do with the Steam client. Quoted from the review (spoilered for wall of text):
    #Discussions_QuoteBlock_Author
    Here's an update from me:

I have requested numerous times to people to get this game down and we're getting there.

As for the fix, it's impossible right now and here's why.

Valve's system runs on a level that recognizes what architecture a machine is running on: 32 or 64-bit.

This gives me a unique problem for Deadlock. Deadlock seems to be a game where, if the user is on a 64-bit machine, it cannot find the registry entries that are put into the user's computer by Steam.

64-bit machines use a Wow6432Node directory in the registry and Steam on 64-bit machines writes to this place by default for everyone. The worse thing about this is that there is no way to get around this. I've discussed this with Valve and they say that there is no way to work around this behaviour. It's just the way it's built.

So since Deadlock 1 does not and cannot read from this Wow6432Node folder. It is technically impossible at this time for me to provide a fix for the game if you are on a 64-bit machine.

The thing that makes this worse is that it doesn't matter how many workarounds I try. Everything is run on a level where it will write to the Wow6432Node registry folder, its fullproof.

So whos fault is this?

Mine.

The week and month this game went out was very stressful. I was responsible for porting about 30+ games to Steam (double this if you include Mac versions and Triple this if you include Linux versions) over the course of 1 month or so and, in this case, I ended up missing something that was crucial to the functionality of the game. It shipped and it's all gone wrong. This I am sorry for.

So what is happening now?

I am trying to get things sorted out. I am going to see about getting your money back and am talking with Valve to see what I can do.

I apologize again for this, there isn't much more I can say but I am trying to get you your money back. Hopefully something will happen in the next week or so.

-Dan

• Options
    Drake wrote: »

It's something to do with the Steam client. Quoted from the review (spoilered for wall of text):
    #Discussions_QuoteBlock_Author
    Here's an update from me:

I have requested numerous times to people to get this game down and we're getting there.

As for the fix, it's impossible right now and here's why.

Valve's system runs on a level that recognizes what architecture a machine is running on: 32 or 64-bit.

This gives me a unique problem for Deadlock. Deadlock seems to be a game where, if the user is on a 64-bit machine, it cannot find the registry entries that are put into the user's computer by Steam.

64-bit machines use a Wow6432Node directory in the registry and Steam on 64-bit machines writes to this place by default for everyone. The worse thing about this is that there is no way to get around this. I've discussed this with Valve and they say that there is no way to work around this behaviour. It's just the way it's built.

So since Deadlock 1 does not and cannot read from this Wow6432Node folder. It is technically impossible at this time for me to provide a fix for the game if you are on a 64-bit machine.

The thing that makes this worse is that it doesn't matter how many workarounds I try. Everything is run on a level where it will write to the Wow6432Node registry folder, its fullproof.

So whos fault is this?

Mine.

The week and month this game went out was very stressful. I was responsible for porting about 30+ games to Steam (double this if you include Mac versions and Triple this if you include Linux versions) over the course of 1 month or so and, in this case, I ended up missing something that was crucial to the functionality of the game. It shipped and it's all gone wrong. This I am sorry for.

So what is happening now?

I am trying to get things sorted out. I am going to see about getting your money back and am talking with Valve to see what I can do.

I apologize again for this, there isn't much more I can say but I am trying to get you your money back. Hopefully something will happen in the next week or so.

-Dan

There is a review with a newer date that says these issues have been fixed, so who knows if that's still the case. I guess Iolo will be able to at least give us his experience with it. For now if this sort of thing looks good to you grab it at GOG I guess. Which is where I happen to grab these older titles anyway because this sort of thing happens less there.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    YETI_zps9921b23e.png

Sooo....what are they going to do about card packs people made with the gems they bought?

Unclear. Possibly write it off. I mean its hard to do anythingwith them cracked and all.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
  • Options
    @Viking just classed me up with a copy of Distant Star: Revenant Fleet. This is an early access game that is a mix of RTS and Roguelike with a persistent fleet and upgrades and stuff. The art direction and tone of the game definitely has some inspiration from Homeworld, which is pretty cool in my book. I love that kind of aesthetic in my sci fi. I look forward to checking this out and seeing how it develops. Thanks Viking.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    YETI_zps9921b23e.png

It only makes sense to let people keep 'em. Valve loses nothing since they're digital and can only be easily redeemed for cash that you have to spend in the Steam Store anyway.

• Options
    YETI_zps9921b23e.png

It only makes sense to let people keep 'em. Valve loses nothing since they're digital and can only be easily redeemed for cash that you have to spend in the Steam Store anyway.

Well, point being that they were bought with duplicated gems - it's still an impact on the market.

I could see if they drew the line there, so they're fine.

I could also see if they didn't. It'd just be a LOT more of a pain in the ass to roll back, say, badges crafted from cards dropped from booster packs which were generated by gems.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Blame yetis.

500px-Yeti_King_Art_Large.jpg

Excuse me, but that distinguished gentleman is very definitely making the International Sign of "Not It," and therefore it cannot be his fault.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    an_alt wrote: »
    Kinda makes me glad I didn't buy into it so far. I'll trade to get badges for maybe even buy a few cards to get a couple of less common badges, but I'm not getting too deep into this.

Games at $5 or less are getting purchased. Games at $15 or less are being purchased to keep my gifting ledger in the black due to those who don't understand that a wishlist means waiting until things are $5 or less before being purchased.

Good to know someone else uses their wishlist much like I do. :wink:
    Sumanai wrote: »
    So, tonight is Red Faction: Guerrilla time for FNG. But Antoshka thinks being a space asshole isn't enough, that I should also be a space farmer. Thanks for Space Farmers! :heartbeat:
    Does that mean I'm a space farmer asshole? space asshole farmer?

You are a space asshole multiclasser.
    Isorn wrote: »
    Blame yetis.
    yV5sV6E.gif

hRggN.png

I am not familiar with "Skifree". Feel free to point and laugh.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Isorn wrote: »
    Blame yetis.
    yV5sV6E.gif

hRggN.png

I am not familiar with "Skifree". Feel free to point and laugh.

https://basicallydan.github.io/skifree.js/

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    So @Commander Zoom‌ felt that I needed to compromise computer code or something . . .
    utjzunqrgzkn.jpg

Thanks a bunch, sir!

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    I just saw a blank Steam item pop up on my taskbar. Thought it was somebody wanting to chat.

Nope, it was a notification pulling Lara out of my Steam library. It was heavily implied that there was either something wrong with my credit card or that I used a key that wasn't legit. :-/

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    I just saw a blank Steam item pop up on my taskbar. Thought it was somebody wanting to chat.

Nope, it was a notification pulling Lara out of my Steam library. It was heavily implied that there was either something wrong with my credit card or that I used a key that wasn't legit. :-/

Guess you bought it on gamersgate?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    You're quite welcome! I was relieved to see there was someone out there who wanted and didn't have it.

On another note, I have a friend invite today from someone named "Akigore" with a private profile, showing a 0 Steam rank. Random opportunist, or someone I should know?

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Kinda makes me glad I didn't buy into it so far. I'll trade to get badges for maybe even buy a few cards to get a couple of less common badges, but I'm not getting too deep into this.

Games at $5 or less are getting purchased. Games at $15 or less are being purchased to keep my gifting ledger in the black due to those who don't understand that a wishlist means waiting until things are $5 or less before being purchased.

Good to know someone else uses their wishlist much like I do. :wink:

There's a different way to use than that?

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Dicking around with the Advanced Warfare free weekend... and for some reason the game thinks this is what it should look like on my machine.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Looks like Gamersgate refunded me my money and Steam took Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris out of my library.

In brighter news, @Kanden and I just completed BattleBlock Theater's co-op mode! Buckle your pants!

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
This discussion has been closed.