As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] A Classy Christmas II; Day Seventeen Total: $7,197.90

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Quical wrote: »
    mts wrote: »
    How many games are ok to have on your wishlist? I suppose I have more becase i haven't had steam long enough to buy them all? Don't judge me!

No one really cares what the size of a persons wishlist is.

FYI talking about the lack of games and giant wishlist comes across heavily as giftbegging

Oh... it really wasn't intended that way. At all. I actually worried that HAVING a large wishlist would be seen as begging in some way. "oh you just want everything? Well screw you!"
    But good to see others use it as a storage of "things I may like one day"

I don't think it was necessarily taken as that so you're all good. I just use my wishlist as a way to keep an eye on things basically as they come up in this crazy thread.

And a word of warning for any people who haven't been in the thread and a Steam sale at the same time: the thread can move very quickly. You have been warned and, for the love of god, do not feel like you have to keep it. Don't lose your job or your family over a forum thread or steam sale. Just sit back and enjoy the wild ride :)

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Well you see, when a man and money love each other very, very much...

camo_sig2.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Its midnight, so now the Polls are closed.

The winner is Duck Dynasty, with 16 votes.

2nd place is DNA Gender Bender Twisted Extreme with 15 votes.

Close close close vote, but.. fuck. I really didn't want to play Duck Dynasty. :( Oh well, its for you guys to reward you for such generous offerings to the Children.

I'll set up a time to start streaming it, probably on a weekend soon. Going to have to talk to @Houn about getting the game first, since he very very very graciously offered to buy a game I don't have if it wins. I'll get into contact with him then update you guys with info on when the stream will take place.

Step one is to accept my friend request.
    Step two is to wait for me to get home since I'm not seeing a way to send gifts in the phone app.
    Step Three:
    Duck_hunt_nes_dog.png

You can gift through the Steam mobile app. I've done it more than a few times.

It's a bit fiddly and you may (read: Will) have to retry if you get stuck. Nearly every time I try, once I've selected the recipient, the that one screen won't scroll down far enough to let me hit the Continue button. I have to back out and try again from my Cart, second time pretty much always works though.

I'm not seeing how to do it; I can pull up my inventory, but there is no option to send it.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    That's its own special brand of horrifying. Once you've got DD, you can never get rid of it.

camo_sig2.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, you can't gift from inventory by phone. You can only gift directly from your cart.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Then, once again, Step Two is wait for me to get home from work!

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

they need a story so they can make a film and milk the IP for all it's worth
    "[Warner Bros.] asked me to develop how might this ever be a story for a movie, because it's a non-narrative game," Levy told the Wall Street Journal. "We came up with an approach that felt good to us, and I discussed it with Mojang ... and they were like, 'That doesn't sound like what we want ... If we're going to see a movie get made, we don't know what we want but that doesn't feel right.'" Levy claims he had four other movies in various stages of pre-production at the time, and that instead of moving forward with the Minecraft film, he opted to pursue those other projects.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/12/15/director-shawn-levy-on-why-he-left-the-minecraft-movie

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    How many games are ok to have on your wishlist? I suppose I have more becase i haven't had steam long enough to buy them all? Don't judge me!

The ladies are only saying that to be nice.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

"[Warner Bros.] asked me to develop how might this ever be a story for a movie, because it's a non-narrative game," Levy told the Wall Street Journal. "We came up with an approach that felt good to us, and I discussed it with Mojang ... and they were like, 'That doesn't sound like what we want ... If we're going to see a movie get made, we don't know what we want but that doesn't feel right.'" Levy claims he had four other movies in various stages of pre-production at the time, and that instead of moving forward with the Minecraft film, he opted to pursue those other projects.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/12/15/director-shawn-levy-on-why-he-left-the-minecraft-movie

Lesson of the day: not everything needs to be a film.

Some things can be TV miniseries. :razz:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular

FYI talking about the lack of games and giant wishlist comes across heavily as giftbegging

Oh... it really wasn't intended that way. At all. I actually worried that HAVING a large wishlist would be seen as begging in some way. "oh you just want everything? Well screw you!"

I don't think it was necessarily taken as that so you're all good. I just use my wishlist as a way to keep an eye on things basically as they come up in this crazy thread.

And a word of warning for any people who haven't been in the thread and a Steam sale at the same time: the thread can move very quickly. You have been warned and, for the love of god, do not feel like you have to keep it. Don't lose your job or your family over a forum thread or steam sale. Just sit back and enjoy the wild ride :)

This is my first, and I'm probably more excited than I should be to waste a bunch of money on games I will never have time for. I put $50 in my wallet, though I fear that was a foolishly low amount to limit myself to.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

This is my first, and I'm probably more excited than I should be to waste a bunch of money on games I will never have time for. I put $50 in my wallet, though I fear that was a foolishly low amount to limit myself to.

A little money can go a surprisingly long way in the Steam sales, especially if it's your first one. I normally have a maximum budget of about £20 and usually wind up getting at least five or six games out of that.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Well, beat Lords of Shadow and everything seemed to turn out fine at the end. Then suddenly after credits scene has me calling bullshit because:
    How in the hell did Gabriel fall to become Dracula when it ended with his punching up Satan and restoring the world to the heavens again, being forgiven his sins, and otherwise becoming a paragon of light and good? How is Zobek still alive when Satan burned him to a crisp? What the hell happened here?

It seems there's some levels after the main storyline so I guess those might help explain some things? Maybe?

The DLC stages basically answer this.

But even on easy mode difficulty the DLC stages are brutally crap. Like, NES games were more forgiving. I am a big proponent of playing through even the shitiest of shit if you've come this far, but in this case, unless you need the shinies that say you beat those stages, I'd go look for footage of someone else doing it before doing it yourself.

Honestly, his continued descent I liked, in terms of his story.
    Because it wasn't about his ability to turn the world to light or punch out Satan; it was being with his wife, his only love again. Having failed that, he spirals really quickly. Also, to bring the world to light he had to take the power of the Lords of Shadow into him, all that darkness. That's kind of the point: he ruined himself time and time again to bring light to the world, and by doing so becomes the Lord of Darkness.

Guess that's just one of those things that doesn't really make much sense to me.
    He met his wife at the very end, learned she forgave him along with everyone else, and knows she's gone to Heaven. He got closure, even if his original goal was a farce from the start. He got all that and still couldn't move on.

The Lords of Shadow bit also rankles me because right there in the final battle Gabriel explicitly tells Satan of all people that forgiveness and redemption are always there for anyone who seeks it, no matter who they are or what they've done. He then asks forgiveness for his own sins and light explodes from within him. Even if the Castlevania series is all about tragedy, when I can clearly see a purifying of sins and darkness taking place then I'm not going to buy into the idea that he's still holding the dark powers he took from the Lords of Shadow, especially when the evidence in that final battle is that the power of God absolutely crushes darkness, even if it's Satan himself! What hope does the power of a bunch of half-souls stand?

Well, I think I'm done with the Lords of Shadow series. Shame, it was a pretty good game up until that last after-credits scene. If they'd only left that out and had it as the prologue to LoS 2 then I could easily ignore it.

edited December 2014
    Well, beat Lords of Shadow and everything seemed to turn out fine at the end. Then suddenly after credits scene has me calling bullshit because:
    How in the hell did Gabriel fall to become Dracula when it ended with his punching up Satan and restoring the world to the heavens again, being forgiven his sins, and otherwise becoming a paragon of light and good? How is Zobek still alive when Satan burned him to a crisp? What the hell happened here?

It seems there's some levels after the main storyline so I guess those might help explain some things? Maybe?

But even on easy mode difficulty the DLC stages are brutally crap. Like, NES games were more forgiving. I am a big proponent of playing through even the shitiest of shit if you've come this far, but in this case, unless you need the shinies that say you beat those stages, I'd go look for footage of someone else doing it before doing it yourself.

Because it wasn't about his ability to turn the world to light or punch out Satan; it was being with his wife, his only love again. Having failed that, he spirals really quickly. Also, to bring the world to light he had to take the power of the Lords of Shadow into him, all that darkness. That's kind of the point: he ruined himself time and time again to bring light to the world, and by doing so becomes the Lord of Darkness.

Guess that's just one of those things that doesn't really make much sense to me.
    He met his wife at the very end, learned she forgave him along with everyone else, and knows she's gone to Heaven. He got closure, even if his original goal was a farce from the start. He got all that and still couldn't move on.

The Lords of Shadow bit also rankles me because right there in the final battle Gabriel explicitly tells Satan of all people that forgiveness and redemption are always there for anyone who seeks it, no matter who they are or what they've done. He then asks forgiveness for his own sins and light explodes from within him. Even if the Castlevania series is all about tragedy, when I can clearly see a purifying of sins and darkness taking place then I'm not going to buy into the idea that he's still holding the dark powers he took from the Lords of Shadow, especially when the evidence in that final battle is that the power of God absolutely crushes darkness, even if it's Satan himself! What hope does the power of a bunch of half-souls stand?

Well, I think I'm done with the Lords of Shadow series. Shame, it was a pretty good game up until that last after-credits scene. If they'd only left that out and had it as the prologue to LoS 2 then I could easily ignore it.

The last I'll say, since this isn't the Castlevania thread, and this is super damn spoilery, seriously but
    Regardless of him turning into the Lord of Darkness, he is still technically god's chosen warrior, even in LoS2. His sins, his inner darkness, which the first game explicitly says are held at bay by his wife's presence, come to the fore in the DLC for the first game, where, to save the world from a demon of immense power, he must first become a vampire to survive the demon's realm, then kill the demon and take on all its power. Combined with the other powers of the Lords of Shadow that he still had (regardless of if his sins up to that point had been forgiven) he still falls, and the big thing is he feels like he never had any say in the matter. His acceptance of his wife's death withers to self pity and self hatred.

God can forgive Gabriel all he wants. Gabriel still hasn't forgiven himself, and we make our own hell.

But maybe that's just my take on it. ;)

Kalnaur on
  • DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Since it's not in the OP, and few people read that anyhow, here's the flowchart (or, A flowchart via Google Image search) that instructs when to buy during a Dale/Gale. If it's not a daily, wait for it to be one. If they're doing flash sales again (almost certain to do so, 8 hour runs on 4 games, or more), consider the flash sale to be the same as a daily when reading the flowchart. Last day is the all-in day, though there HAVE been times where the next day's deal was LOWER on that specific game than it was during the whole sale, so prepare to be trolled:

PMOMe.jpg

camo_sig2.png
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Since it's not in the OP, and few people read that anyhow, here's the flowchart (or, A flowchart via Google Image search) that instructs when to buy during a Dale/Gale. If it's not a daily, wait for it to be one. If they're doing flash sales again (almost certain to do so, 8 hour runs on 4 games, or more), consider the flash sale to be the same as a daily when reading the flowchart. Last day is the all-in day, though there HAVE been times where the next day's deal was LOWER on that specific game than it was during the whole sale, so prepare to be trolled:

PMOMe.jpg

Also, percentages.

If it's 75-90% off, that is almost assuredly as good as you'll see the game for a good while, and is usually well worth it to go for it.
    66-50% off is a good solid sale on things you might want and don't want to wait for a possibly better price; it's still half off or more which is more than acceptable.
    Anything under a 50% cut has a chance of going for more later, and might be best saved until later, unless it's the only thing you really want.

The last I'll say, since this isn't the Castlevania thread, and this is super damn spoilery, seriously but
    Regardless of him turning into the Lord of Darkness, he is still technically god's chosen warrior, even in LoS2. His sins, his inner darkness, which the first game explicitly says are held at bay by his wife's presence, come to the fore in the DLC for the first game, where, to save the world from a demon of immense power, he must first become a vampire to survive the demon's realm, then kill the demon and take on all its power. Combined with the other powers of the Lords of Shadow that he still had (regardless of if his sins up to that point had been forgiven) he still falls, and the big thing is he feels like he never had any say in the matter. His acceptance of his wife's death withers to self pity and self hatred.

God can forgive Gabriel all he wants. Gabriel still hasn't forgiven himself, and we make our own hell.

I could understand self-pity and self-hatred, there's plenty of stuff where the hero takes darkness in (though they don't get to purify it) and withdraws from the world. That I could understand. What I do not understand, and is a really good way to make me want a character dead, is having them perform a complete 180 on who they are. I could see Gabriel becoming a vampire, even if it's asspull as all hell (I didn't like it in Skyrim either), but I do not see him becoming Dracula, the scourge of humanity and Prince of Darkness. I do not see him turning all-out evil to the point where innocents mean nothing to him anymore, and that seems to be what LoS 2 is making him out to be as I read more.

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Another sale point of note for new people:

For the past couple sales, every 8 hours they put up a vote on what some of the next sale items will be. For every 3 votes you submit, you get 1 holiday sale card. If I recall, the voting is open for 7 or 7.5 hours. New votes are posted at 10AM, 6PM and 2 AM PST

You also get holiday sale cards for every $10 you spend.

Things may be different this year because there is always that chance but I think these aspects have been pretty popular in the past so I expect to see them again.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular

I could understand self-pity and self-hatred, there's plenty of stuff where the hero takes darkness in (though they don't get to purify it) and withdraws from the world. That I could understand. What I do not understand, and is a really good way to make me want a character dead, is having them perform a complete 180 on who they are. I could see Gabriel becoming a vampire, even if it's asspull as all hell (I didn't like it in Skyrim either), but I do not see him becoming Dracula, the scourge of humanity and Prince of Darkness. I do not see him turning all-out evil to the point where innocents mean nothing to him anymore, and that seems to be what LoS 2 is making him out to be as I read more.

They unload a looooot of cutscene plot after the intro chapter in LoS2 in attempts to explain this.

It works, kinda. There is nuance to be found in the story but a bit of silliness too.

The stealth bits are what have kept me from playing the game to completion. You can just do what I initially did and watch the cutscenes. There are good things to be found, but alas it is a step down from LoS.

• Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    In the beginning I was planing on getting a lowest tier game just to get the lv3 auction badge, but my DDS (Digital Diogenes Syndrome) prevents me from selling any non duped item in my inventory (you should see the content in my hideout lockers in Fallout 3).
    Since I would get below 800 gems which the dupes I may end up selling them while their price is still high.

Haha. I know that feeling! I'm a packrat myself, and I am currently playing through FO3 via Tale of Two Wastelands, and my Megaton lockers have soo much stuff!

steam_sig.png
  • Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Speaking of Fallout, I hope your bunkers and shelters are stocked. I'll be in my vault.

steam_sig.png
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Anything under a 50% cut has a chance of going for more later, and might be best saved until later, unless it's the only thing you really want. is probably Call of Duty.

s7Imn5J.png
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    Destiny coma. Dark have been my dreams of late.
    @Bobkins Flymo
    2qjwzmv.png

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Okay, in 40 minutes, everyone target @Jragghen, he's classy and needs more games:

MjUbotX.png

camo_sig2.png
  • jogernautjogernaut BisonopolisRegistered User regular
    Since the auction was ending, I looked at the holiday profile auction. Someone bought the profile 3 times.
    hfs1izy.png

He already won it one page up then proceeded to win 2 consecutive bids.

steam_sig.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »

PMOMe.jpg

Also, percentages.

If it's 75-90% off, that is almost assuredly as good as you'll see the game for a good while, and is usually well worth it to go for it.
    66-50% off is a good solid sale on things you might want and don't want to wait for a possibly better price; it's still half off or more which is more than acceptable.
    Anything under a 50% cut has a chance of going for more later, and might be best saved until later, unless it's the only thing you really want.

Also, if there's a deal you are watching and plan to get at the end of the sale, be sure to watch the timer on the store page. Many hearts were broken (and wallets saved) when a last day recap only included a couple of dozen titles instead of all sale items.

Also, prices are often borked at the 10am PST turnover as a million monkeys hammer F5 (not judging, I'm often there myself, banana in hand) to see the new deals. Unless there's a mistake to the buyer's advantage, consider not posting, "lol Assassin's Creed 20 for only 10% off - learn to sale Ubisoft" at three minutes past the turn. We've filled literal pages of thread in past sales with folks surprised and/or indignant at seemingly low discounts that just hadn't refreshed.

Also, it's no joke that the thread moves fast. It's not the best time for contests of Steamgifts banners that require people to see them in the thread. Do what you will, of course. But if contests/giveaways are your thing, you may want to consider using the sale to stockpile items. Similarly, if you are saying thanks to someone for a gift, be sure to @alert them using forum notifications. :)

Mmmm. I can feel it. It's gonna be a good one. Happy Steamsmas Everyone!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

Hmm...yes...let's take a game that's all about each individual's creativity and imagination and fit it into a tiny box of a movie.

I hate Hollywood.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

Hmm...yes...let's take a game that's all about each individual's creativity and imagination and fit it into a tiny box of a movie.

I hate Hollywood.

And yet, Lego Movie.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    My wallet is ready.

And so is my body...

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    F5

steam_sig.png
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »

I hate Hollywood.

And yet, Lego Movie.

Touché

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Gave up on winning a game with cards but managed to snag And Yet It Moves for an acceptable gem-to-dollar ratio.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    On wishlists: I keep mine around 15 - 20 but it always gets bigger during sales. I always forget about games I want to play until I see them on the Steam front page on sale. It's hard though - because I think (I could be wrong) that others then see "Lindsey now wants Grass Simulator" which can look sort of gift beggy during a sale I suppose if you are adding an 80% off game to your wish list.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • PoseidonPoseidon Registered User regular
    Soon.
    Winter is coming.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Ten minutes...

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Neo Steam is about to E-X-P-L-O-D-E

steam_sig.png
    See, I always am thinking "later" for any games I wishlist, and so I put them on my wishlist with no care or worry that it will look like asking for a gift because the wishlist is a list for me to remember what I want. Then again, I've always used wishlists as things I wish I had now but can wait until I can buy them, so I've never thought of it as asking anyone to buy an item for me.

You wonderful lunatics jump to that conclusion all on your lonesome. :wink:

As a reminder, you do not need to be one of the million monkeys mashing F5 in the Steam store.

http://steamdb.info/sales

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    It be almost worth it if they didn't do a Winter Sale this year and just doubled up during Spring or something just to fuck with everyone.

Xeddicus on
This discussion has been closed.