Options

No one likes her, but Sera was never an agreeable girl [Inquisition]

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    If I back Cassandra or Leliana for
    Divine, does it actually take them out of my party/council

And if so is there a clear warning on the dialog option

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    I wonder how art and literature are handled under the Qun. Anything produced would undoubtedly be heavily censored, but do they even have artists to begin with?

yes, and it is not heavily censored

So how does it work? If you're assigned a role at a young age, how do they select those who will grow up to have a masterful command of language? If you find you have a talent for something later in life, can you go to the re-educators hoping to get re-classified, as Bull did?

If there's no censorship then that's great; I recall Gatt said he was hoping to change some aspects of the Qun from within so it's good there's room for discourse. That said, while there may be no explicit censorship, knowledge of the secret police will have many people self-censor out of fear.

Solas has a line about how a Qunari baker's act of rebellion was a pinch of sugar in each loaf of bread. Which tells you a lot about their society.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    in general I think inquistion is a really big step up on the romance front which I don't think has ever really been done well in previous games

Absolutely yes

I was ready to not bother pursuing any romance options because of how they have all historically been incredibly awkward and hamfisted.

And then I did Guilty Pleasures and broke down and man I'm pretty glad I did.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    oh, cassandra just gave me the "i'm straight" talk

oh I didn't' know there was a whole talk

I just got a rebuff and a "Cassandra dissapproves" when I hit on her

Your approval with her needs to be sufficiently high already or she's not impressed. If you flirt right from the get go she's probably not going to be into you unless you're only really making choices she approves of.

Which I did, incidentally, because I am the prophet of a new dawn and chosen herald of andraste.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    in general I think inquistion is a really big step up on the romance front which I don't think has ever really been done well in previous games

absolutely

And not even just player romance but npcs romancing each other

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Never not flirt with Scout Harding.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

Spoilers for backing
    They remain in your party; it gets talked about in the epilogue, but they remain even in the post-game.

I never encountered a method for explicitly backing Cassandra, might have needed to encourage her more when the issue was first raised.
    Backing Vivienne is an option on the war table that is clearly labelled as such.
    Backing Leliana ambushed me in a middle of a routine conversation with her, had to alt-F4. Save before talking to her I guess.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Chincy and Goatmon whenever you post one after the other I get well confused.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Spoilers for backing
    They remain in your party; it gets talked about in the epilogue, but they remain even in the post-game.

I never encountered a method for explicitly backing Cassandra, might have needed to encourage her more when the issue was first raised.
    Backing Vivienne is an option on the war table that is clearly labelled as such.
    Backing Leliana ambushed me in a middle of a routine conversation with her, had to alt-F4. Save before talking to her I guess.

Spoilers for backing
    I had an option in the conversation with Cassandra to back her, it was one of the special options with a crown
    Maybe you need the politics perk to unlock that?
    Anyway after that there was an operation on the war table specifically to back her

• Options
    Chincy and Goatmon whenever you post one after the other I get well confused.

How could you confuse me, a small adorable animal, for goatmon?!?!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Spoilers for backing

Spoilers for backing
    I had an option in the conversation with Cassandra to back her, it was one of the special options with a crown
    Maybe you need the politics perk to unlock that?
    Anyway after that there was an operation on the war table specifically to back her

More spoilers for backing
    I actually never had a specific operation to support her but Cassandra got the chantry's vote anyway. Maybe that's the default choice? Anyway, the post-game conversation I had with her about it was pretty great.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Yo I heard a rumor that this can mess up SSDs due to lots of writing/re-writing when loading/randomizing the open world stuff. Is this true at all?

This would explain why my ps4 is experiencing so many glitches on conversations, I just upgrades to an ssd last month.

• Options
    NWKNWK Registered User regular
    I really like Cole. Especially after his mission. He's still more than a little disconcerting, but endearingly so. I think it speaks to how well he's written, great character.

Even if he has a silly hat.

Steam GW2: Silas.5762
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Yo I heard a rumor that this can mess up SSDs due to lots of writing/re-writing when loading/randomizing the open world stuff. Is this true at all?

This would explain why my ps4 is experiencing so many glitches on conversations, I just upgrades to an ssd last month.

Nah. The convo thing is just a general bug that everyone is experiencing right now.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm going to assume that you meant the best hat, and accidentally typed silly

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    there's some pretty good banter with him and Varric about the hat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I noticed a bug during Here Lies the Abyss, and so this may be of help to some people.
    While you're in the fade, that sidequest has a bug part-way in.

The encounter where you recover the second memory causes one of the remaining fears to disappear from the map.

I missed it my first time and so I reloaded a save and just caught it when it happened this time around.

After the third fear you pass one of those mirrors, and after that there's a branching path up some stairs.

Since the marker disappeared, I didn't think to go up that way last time.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I started watching a bit of an LP with a guy playing a male qunari and aaaahaha Varric looks ridiculous standing next to the inquisitor.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Hey Bioware general thread

Is the first Mass Effect supposed to be this easy

Seems like I'm just walking through most encounters, especially if I'm in the Mako

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    My affection for Cassandra is considerably enhanced by the fact that she is probably the best tank in the history of the series

As a Templar she gives a +10% damage resistance to all elemental magic to the entire party? Exsqueeze me? Yes, please, and thank you.

Combine that with the Forces Inquisition Perk that gives you +10% to all resistances and you already have a pretty good set of damage reduction for every situation

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

Seems like I'm just walking through most encounters, especially if I'm in the Mako

It's mostly pretty easy.

But it's also the only Mass Effect game where Asari/Krogan commandos can actually kick your ass pretty easily if you aren't careful.

I had forgotten that until replaying it a while back.

"Okay lets take the krogan out and-AHH FUCK HALP"

Goatmon on

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I'm going to assume that you meant the best hat, and accidentally typed silly
    Cole's hat is so stupid

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Also Sera is great, eff the haters

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

I find her problematic in a few ways, but I think she's ultimately on the side of the commonfolk

her more transphobic comments really grate on me

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    DO NOT do encounters in the Mako if you can help it. You take an experience percentage hit. The game is dumb at figuring out if it applies though so getting the enemies to low health and jumping out to pop them totally counts for full exp.

On topic, exploration in this game is basically the Mako all over again. There may be a "correct" way to get up somewhere but I'll be damned if I find it before trying to jump up a mountainside.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Sera was never an agreeable girl~

• Options
    Dubh wrote: »

I find her problematic in a few ways, but I think she's ultimately on the side of the commonfolk

I was only aware of the one comment?

Which is bad, to be sure, but easily viewed as a failed joke that the writer never should have attempted as opposed to Sera being established as transphobic since I never had it pop up anywhere else in the game

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

I don't think you'll find even people who like her defending those

They are a pretty massive miscalculation on the part of the writer

That said I thought it was just the one comment

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

Which is bad, to be sure, but easily viewed as a failed joke that the writer never should have attempted as opposed to Sera being established as transphobic since I never had it pop up anywhere else in the game

there's little quips here and there

nothing as memorable as that one incident

virtually noticeable unless you're someone who's affected by this stuff

according to most allies, I'm probably being "too sensitive and making it up"

frrrrrrrrrrrrt

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

It's mostly pretty easy.

But it's also the only Mass Effect game where Asari/Krogan commandos can actually kick your ass pretty easily if you aren't careful.

I had forgotten that until replaying it a while back.

"Okay lets take the krogan out and-AHH FUCK HALP"

Yeah Asari biotics have proven a bit tricky

The thing that tends to fuck me up the hardest is any kind of rocket fire combined with supporting fire, simply because of how easily it perforates shielding. Can't perform Unity on myself!

• Options

I don't think you'll find even people who like her defending those

They are a pretty massive miscalculation on the part of the writer

That said I thought it was just the one comment

maybe it's more cis-normativity than anything else

it might be harmless on a different character, but the offending comment sorta contextualizes everything in an unfortunate way

what I'm saying, is that it's enough to ruin a lot of the character for me

another playthrough or two should be enough for me to work over it and have a more thorough opinion

but, for now, I am uncomfortable

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options

there's little quips here and there

nothing as memorable as that one incident

virtually noticeable unless you're someone who's affected by this stuff

according to most allies, I'm probably being "too sensitive and making it up"

frrrrrrrrrrrrt

Given that the writer appears to have some issues to work out I wouldn't be surprised if they subconiously pylut some bad stuff in there that isn't immediately obvious, though I'm struggling to think of any

I'm attempting to separate the character from the writer in this case

There's no reason sera, the character, growing up in open minded thedas, should be transphobic. So I choose to believe she isn't.

• Options
    and having the ability to easily make that your judgement on her is the definition of privilege

I mean this in the most respectful way, chincy: I REALLY don't care if you're okay with it, because it ain't about you

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I'm still trying to figure out why Sera talks the way she do

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Finally finished up Here Lies the Abyss.
    Serah Hawke... :(

I felt so bad having to tell Varric.

Although it was really awkward when he asks "Where's Hawke?" twice, and uses the exact same audio clip each time.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out why Sera talks the way she do

I think it's just her being her

Sera was a ripe opportunity to be inclusive of non-neurotypical folk

since I haven't finished the game, I can't say if that opportunity was wasted or not

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Right, but

Nobody else in the entire franchise talks like that

She feels really anachronistic and weird

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Right, but

I guess most of the people you talk to are upper class or nobility in some way, especially the people in your inner circle... maybe the 'common folk' speak that way in certain areas?

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I want to play this game right now but work isn't over yet :(

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Right, but

I guess most of the people you talk to are upper class or nobility in some way, especially the people in your inner circle... maybe the 'common folk' speak that way in certain areas?

I mean

Maybe

But in the first game I came from an alienage in Denerim; I mean, we're both city elves at that point

Sera just sounds like she's from a different game

dN0T6ur.png
This discussion has been closed.